***OFFICIAL LAKERS 2015 NBA DRAFT THREAD*** (No. 2 Russell, No. 27 Nance, No. 34 Brown: p.1661 - Upshaw signed for SL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 366, 367, 368 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject:

I'd prefer Russell over Hezonja. I have no questions about his attitude or mentality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Agreed. Especially with Byron as the coach. Just too many risk involved drafting Hezonja in the top 5.

Nah, it's just that the immediate expectations on 18 & 19 year olds are ridiculous. Everyone thinks these guys should be stars from day 1. That's not the case most of the time, even with good players.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
How NBA ready is Herzonja?
He has to be in the right system and have a great coach to get the best out of him. His defense and character are major concerns, I don't think he's ready.

Plus I don't see a player in this draft who is NBA ready. WCS might come the closest, or Kaminsky.
I think Russell, Winslow, and Johnson are NBA ready. The others will take time to adjust, possibly years.

Russell will get thrown around like a rag doll. If any of those 3 start their teams are doing them a disservice.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Agreed. Especially with Byron as the coach. Just too many risk involved drafting Hezonja in the top 5.

Nah, it's just that the immediate expectations on 18 & 19 year olds are ridiculous. Everyone thinks these guys should be stars from day 1. That's not the case most of the time, even with good players.

And sadly if they aren't stars from day 1 (ala Dante Exum), they are a bust before they play an entire season.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

And sadly if they aren't stars from day 1 (ala Dante Exum), they are a bust before they play an entire season.

Guilty as charged with Exum. With him, I just don't see it. But you're right that he deserves a couple of years.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
He has to be in the right system and have a great coach to get the best out of him. His defense and character are major concerns, I don't think he's ready.

Plus I don't see a player in this draft who is NBA ready. WCS might come the closest, or Kaminsky.
I think Russell, Winslow, and Johnson are NBA ready. The others will take time to adjust, possibly years.

Russell will get thrown around like a rag doll. If any of those 3 start their teams are doing them a disservice.

Yeah. Even the best college players need transition to be "NBA ready." Heck, Randle, Embiid, and Parker (top 7 picks) all went down with season ending injuries.

Even with our boy Randle, I don't expect him to immediately drop 18/10 and play 35 mpg. Scott and the Lakers will ease him in. I think he can get those numbers eventually, but highly doubt his first year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

I don't think any of us can say with certainty anything about Mario Hizzo. His own coach seems to be purposely burying him on the bench when NBA scouts come to the game.

Not saying he's a sure thing, but everyone is operating with a deficit of information on him at this point.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

You usually see flashes of brilliance.. With exum.. You haven't really seen much initiative.. With clarkson, you do.

Russell has shown some amazing skills.. Scoring, passing, court vision.
Mudiuay has shown skills against pro talent.. Athleticism, attacking the hoop..
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think any of us can say with certainty anything about Mario Hizzo. His own coach seems to be purposely burying him on the bench when NBA scouts come to the game.

Not saying he's a sure thing, but everyone is operating with a deficit of information on him at this point.

Is that your perspective on Porzingis as well?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Winslow>Hezonja
Kaminsky>Porzingis

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

Yeah. Even the best college players need transition to be "NBA ready." Heck, Randle, Embiid, and Parker (top 7 picks) all went down with season ending injuries.

Even with our boy Randle, I don't expect him to immediately drop 18/10 and play 35 mpg. Scott and the Lakers will ease him in. I think he can get those numbers eventually, but highly doubt his first year.

+2
One for me and one for Kobe-ReLoaded. May he rest in peace in suspension purgatory.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

+2
One for me and one for Kobe-ReLoaded. May he rest in peace in suspension purgatory.

18/10 and 35 mpg is insane for a rookie. I expect something more along the lines of 14/7 and 28 mpg.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Is that your perspective on Porzingis as well?

Yes. But mario's coach has purposely benched him so it makes it tougher.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

Uh the top 3 rookies played 30+ min? Parker was averaging close to 30min before his injury. Embiid was already injured just like Noel when he was drafted.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

+2

18/10 and 35 mpg is insane for a rookie. I expect something more along the lines of 14/7 and 28 mpg.

Sounds about right. I also see around 3-3.5 assists a game too. Higher than normal for Pfs.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:

And even that is a lofty expectation. No rookie has done that since Blake Griffin & DeMarcus Cousins both did it in 2010-11.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

Uh the top 3 rookies played 30+ min? Parker was averaging close to 30min before his injury. Embiid was already injured just like Noel when he was drafted.

Not with Scott and the lakers. I think it's the right philosophy to ease them in.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone know if Randle qualifies as a rookie? I've gotten different answers on twitter. My guess would be no since he did play in the regular season but I've heard yes.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

And even that is a lofty expectation. No rookie has done that since Blake Griffin & DeMarcus Cousins both did it in 2010-11.

Then it sounds like someone is due.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I'd prefer Russell over Hezonja. I have no questions about his attitude or mentality.

From the little bit I watched of him, my initial problem was that I don't care for the way he handles the ball. Way too much verticality, and he also looked like he was carrying it almost every time. Watching him dribble standing straight up, gives me concerns that he wont get by anybody in the nba with that type of ball handling. Same thing as Wiggins, and why he has so much trouble dribbling in trouble, in iso situations, and just generally trying to get by his mand. You have to drop your chest down/horizontally if you want to have any hopes of getting by your man. I'll have to go watch some more footage of Hezonja to see if this is something he does every time. I think someone is going to be disappointed if they pick him very high.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I'd say if Randle averaged 11-12 points, 4-5 rebounds, that's a good first year. That's about what I'd expect for him. More importantly, learning how to set a screen and properly positioning himself for box outs would be great as well.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
Does anyone know if Randle qualifies as a rookie? I've gotten different answers on twitter. My guess would be no since he did play in the regular season but I've heard yes.

Think he can. Not sure how it works but I believe the League can grant an exception on certain situations.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
bandiger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

Not with Scott and the lakers. I think it's the right philosophy to ease them in.

Ridiculous, Kobe was playing close to 30min in his second season? I expect Randle to be in great shape by the time next season starts if not than yeah you punish him with less than 30min. Rookies who play on contending teams usually do have less than what you are suggesting but for this team right now, he gets 30min at LEAST. Don't give me this crap about old school nonsense.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

Damn, you're right. Rookies suck.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
bandiger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:

Ridiculous, Kobe was playing close to 30min in his second season? I expect Randle to be in great shape by the time next season starts if not than yeah you punish him with less than 30min. Rookies who play on contending teams usually do have less than what you are suggesting but for this team right now, he gets 30min at LEAST. Don't give me this crap about old school nonsense.

Calm down. And no. Kobe played 15 mpg his rookie year and 26 mpg his 2nd. And Randle would be considered a rookie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 366, 367, 368 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next
Page 367 of 1691
Jump to: