***OFFICIAL LAKERS 2015 NBA DRAFT THREAD*** (No. 2 Russell, No. 27 Nance, No. 34 Brown: p.1661 - Upshaw signed for SL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 372, 373, 374 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Yes, Towns will never be the kind of physical presence that Bynum was, but I see some similarities in their games. Remember, Bynum extended his jump shot out to 12-14 feet before he left the Lakers. I think Towns has much more Bynum in him (in terms of skill sets) than he has Aldridge in him though. However, who knows, the guy is all potential right now.

I think Towns will be at least a long term starter. His ceiling is definitely higher than OKafor's.

Yup I remember a few different years where Bynum showed some 12-15 foot range that I wish he would have made consistent.
See in high school I don't think Towns frequented the low post like he did at Kentucky..
Here's some perimeter stuff from Towns in HS. Some Aldrige type stepbacks. Pretty coordinated moves, although he does look Bynum type uncoordinated/goofy on the court a lot of times. I can see the resemblence

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

Calipari did right by Towns in telling him that he needed to learn to dominate from 5 feet in. Similar to Randle, he has a lot more perimeter skills than he was able to show at Kentucky, but Calipari kept him from drifting out to the perimeter too often. Towns is a lot more well rounded now as a result, IMO.

One extremely underrated big man skill that he is excellent at is the outlet pass. Him, Randle, & Clarkson would virtually assure that we'd be superb in transition for years to come.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Calipari did right by Towns in telling him that he needed to learn to dominate from 5 feet in. Similar to Randle, he has a lot more perimeter skills than he was able to show at Kentucky, but Calipari kept him from drifting out to the perimeter too often. Towns is a lot more well rounded now as a result, IMO.

One extremely underrated big man skill that he is excellent at is the outlet pass. Him, Randle, & Clarkson would virtually assure that we'd be superb in transition for years to come.

Oh ya. Best thing for him. He was a weak (bleep) in the post in high school. He developed so much strength in gaining position, and also to be able to finish through contact. He really was almost Myles Turner weak/fragile in the post before Kentucky. Now he's a well rounded beast
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Oh ya. Best thing for him. He was a weak (bleep) in the post in high school. He developed so much strength in gaining position, and also to be able to finish through contact. He really was almost Myles Turner weak/fragile in the post before Kentucky. Now he's a well rounded beast

Ya, he's an extraordinarily rare prospect in that he's not bad at anything, really. The worst thing that I can say about him is that he's a bit undisciplined in how he challenges shots, and picks up some dumb fouls as a result. But if you go down a "What I Expect From My Big" Checklist, he's at least okay at everything.

That said, I'm not sure he's great at anything either.

Turner intrigues me too, btw. If I was picking at #10 or later I'd take him and lock him in a gym with my Strength & Conditioning coach for a year.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

Turner has hip and leg issues. He has the highest chance of retiring early due to injuries.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Ya, he's an extraordinarily rare prospect in that he's not bad at anything, really. The worst thing that I can say about him is that he's a bit undisciplined in how he challenges shots, and picks up some dumb fouls as a result. But if you go down a "What I Expect From My Big" Checklist, he's at least okay at everything.

That said, I'm not sure he's great at anything either.

Turner intrigues me too, btw. If I was picking at #10 or later I'd take him and lock him in a gym with my Strength & Conditioning coach for a year.

Ya Cal would bench him sometimes for him trying to block everything - shots that WCS was already contesting for example. theyd give up Oboards bcuz of it sometimes
can't say anyone know where he's going to be unstoppable offesnively. But he's a great package to develop w core skills, I think he's an underrated athlete too - even tho he looks goofy doing it. He's pulled out some euro steps even. Put the ball on the deck in a manner you can be more confident in than when WCS does it.

Myles Turner is a great risk in the late lotto I agree. Even if he fixed his running gate and core strength to Roy Hibbert levels, he could be a really good player. He has some explosion actually
just the weakest core you'll ever see.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
With that philly rumor about Russell, if it turns out to be true. It's a good chance that they take him number 1 overall if they get the 1st pick. The article states that they believe him to be a star so they are going to go after him since they have their bigs.

Russell at the very minimum will be Lillard level. Just too skilled not to be. I think he has more potential than that. I wouldn't be mad if we took him if we end up with the #1 pick.

SUPER lofty expectations, especially when Lillard was a purer shooter, stronger, and FAR quicker.

Wasn't Lillard also a few years older? Not arguing your points, but just saying, sometimes people forget that Russell is just a 19-year old freshman because of how mature his game already is. It's not a stretch to say that he can still improve significantly from a physical standpoint and consequently take his game to another level, given a couple more years and access to an NBA strength and conditioning program? And his jump shot seems like it's at a very good place, compared to a lot of the other top PGs and young up-and-comers in the NBA today when they were his age.

Lillard was older, coming from weaker competition, but the athleticism/strength combination can't be denied.

I don't buy that you can "inherit athleticism" through workouts. It can be refined, but that's it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I really want Towns. He looks like the center version of Aldridge to me.

Am I the only one who sees the lesser version of DeMarcus Cousins?

Doesn't have the brute strength.
Doesn't have Bynum's footwork, and later, explosiveness.

But, basic post moves, passing ability, mid-range shooting, straight-line drives.

He's a coordinated athlete with a lot of motor, but I wouldn't say he's explosive or has a quick release on his jumpshot.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

But, basic post moves, passing ability, mid-range shooting, straight-line drives.

He's a coordinated athlete with a lot of motor, but I wouldn't say he's explosive or has a quick release on his jumpshot.

I don't see Cousins. Cousins is explosive for someone his size. Much quicker than Towns.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I don't see Cousins. Cousins is explosive for someone his size. Much quicker than Towns.

It's odd, because as I've seen Cousins mature, I see more of the strength come out of his athleticism. I don't think of a player who is quick on his first step or jumps exceedingly high.

But when I see Towns, I definitely don't see Aldridge in terms of athleticism or perimeter abilities early on, nor do I see Bynum with the advanced pivot work and finishing abilities.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
It's odd, because as I've seen Cousins mature, I see more of the strength come out of his athleticism. I don't think of a player who is quick on his first step or jumps exceedingly high.

But when I see Towns, I definitely don't see Aldridge in terms of athleticism or perimeter abilities early on, nor do I see Bynum with the advanced pivot work and finishing abilities.

Ya, none of those really resonate with me either. I still like the bigger Al Horford comparison.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
He looks like the center version of Aldridge to me.

I'm no college fanatic, but watching his highlights he looks like a Dwight Howard clone but with more polished offense/ better FT shooter and more mature.... and's a good thing to have.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:

Towns is a close clone of Tyson Chandler/Dwight Howard hybrid but with more moves to work with... and thats a good luxury to have.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Towns is a close clone of Tyson Chandler/Dwight Howard hybrid but with more moves to work with... and thats a good luxury to have.

Since when was Towns considered an elite level athlete?

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Ya, none of those really resonate with me either. I still like the bigger Al Horford comparison.

That one makes the most sense.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Same to me.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject:

Watching the Memphis Grizzlies last night run the high low action makes me want to draft Okafor. Then when I see the Warriors I want Russell. Hopefully, the basketball gods are on our side this time.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:

Towns is not a great athlete. He moves relatively well but very mechanical. I would actually put his athleticism on par with Duncan, Pau, Aldridge, and Horford.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject:

I was speaking in terms of shot blocking ability mike.. And that so called elite athleticism that Howard and chandler have still doesn't change the fact that both of them don't have a lot of post moves and only rely there offense on dunks and offensive put backs.. With towns that wouldn't be a problem cause he has more arsenal.
andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

probably not big news, but if true this decreases our chances of getting russell as you can throw out those mock drafts where mudiay gets picked before him:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150426_League_executive__Word_is_Sixers_want_D_Angelo_Russell.html
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I was speaking in terms of shot blocking ability mike.. And that so called elite athleticism that Howard and chandler have still doesn't change the fact that both of them don't have a lot of post moves and only rely there offense on dunks and offensive put backs.. With towns that wouldn't be a problem cause he has more arsenal.

Except there are multiple elements to shot blocking.

Awareness
Quickness to rotation
Physical tools; height, wingspan, standing reach, vert., hands

Howard does so almost completely on physical tools and awareness.

Chandler isn't an elite swatter anymore. His swatting is based in timing, hoop IQ, good vert., good reach.

Towns? Reach, awareness, motor. I wouldn't say he has great vert or monstrous hands.

dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

andrewc wrote:
probably not big news, but if true this decreases our chances of getting russell as you can throw out those mock drafts where mudiay gets picked before him:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150426_League_executive__Word_is_Sixers_want_D_Angelo_Russell.html

The hope is this is a smoke screen like with wiggins last year. Hinke was reported in wanting to do everything to get him, but it wasn't the case.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Winslow makes the most sense. 6'7 230, he could be the 3&D guy we've always wanted. He has a lot of tools, he is a good passer, good finisher in transition, 40% from deep, potential to be an elite defender. I would take him if he's available, he has the most potential imo.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Towns reminds me of Pau.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Towns is his own player IMO.

I can't think of a center that is capable of shooting outside jumpers consistently, passing like a point forward, shooting free throws and making em like a SG, and post moves like a center.

The only player I can think of at the moment like that is Yao Ming with passing ability. Which is a weird comparison.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 372, 373, 374 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next
Page 373 of 1691
Jump to: