***OFFICIAL LAKERS 2015 NBA DRAFT THREAD*** (No. 2 Russell, No. 27 Nance, No. 34 Brown: p.1661 - Upshaw signed for SL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 373, 374, 375 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Towns is his own player IMO.

I can't think of a center that is capable of shooting outside jumpers consistently, passing like a point forward, shooting free throws and making em like a SG, and post moves like a center.

This along with the fact that he cares defensively is why I think he should be the number 1 pick.....

This brief synopsis makes me want him even more.

Kiss my Converse.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

I can't think of a center that is capable of shooting outside jumpers consistently, passing like a point forward, shooting free throws and making em like a SG, and post moves like a center.

The only player I can think of at the moment like that is Yao Ming with passing ability. Which is a weird comparison.

Al horford?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Megaton wrote:

The only player I can think of at the moment like that is Yao Ming with passing ability. Which is a weird comparison.

Al horford?

Al Horford is not a true center nor does he play like one.

I get the comparison a bit but Al Horford is not a center. It's why the Hawks will probably lose out in the 2nd round IMO. They need a true center.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

andrewc wrote:
probably not big news, but if true this decreases our chances of getting russell as you can throw out those mock drafts where mudiay gets picked before him:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150426_League_executive__Word_is_Sixers_want_D_Angelo_Russell.html

No doubt in my mind the Sixers are after Russell. I don't see them going after Mudiay at all since they traded away MCW because he has the same issues as Mudiay.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

The Vlade Divac one is an interesting comparison for Towns
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
The Vlade Divac one is an interesting comparison for Towns

I think that Towns projects as more of a difference-maker defensively. Probably not as skilled as Vlade in terms of shooting/passing, but I don't view him nearly as raw offensively as most of the top center prospects in drafts over the past few years.
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Towns is Bynum without the YOLO lol
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Watching the Memphis Grizzlies last night run the high low action makes me want to draft Okafor. Then when I see the Warriors I want Russell. Hopefully, the basketball gods are on our side this time.

Okafor and Randle would be a more versatile, athletic, quick hitting big man tandem. That high low game is something you can build around and build with.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Watching the Memphis Grizzlies last night run the high low action makes me want to draft Okafor. Then when I see the Warriors I want Russell. Hopefully, the basketball gods are on our side this time.

Okafor and Randle would be a more versatile, athletic, quick hitting big man tandem. That high low game is something you can build around and build with.

Except without the DPOY caliber defender. And Randle isn't an ideal spilt post guy either. I'd also argue that Memphis' offense is the reason why they haven't gone further, rather than the reason they've succeeded.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Fans on Spurstalk think that trading Parker for our first round pick is realistic.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247177

Some serious pipe talk goin on in that forum, lol.

Weird how they think we don't value lottery picks.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject:

DrumR wrote:

But can he bowl?

DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject:

DrumR wrote:
Kind of, like Bynum, Towns doesn't have the crazy athleticism, but rely on his size and length, Towns probably has a little better shooting touch and range as compared to Bynum.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

It could definitely work, but it could take a couple of years. Okafor needs to work on his conditioning, he has the size 6'11 270 lbs, 7'5 wingspan to be a good defender. Offensively, it could work from the start.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Towns, Randle, Clarkson... a man can dream.... cant wait for lottery. lose that pick and future looks bleak :/
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
DrumR wrote:

But can he bowl?

He needs to find a parking spot first.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Calipari did right by Towns in telling him that he needed to learn to dominate from 5 feet in. Similar to Randle, he has a lot more perimeter skills than he was able to show at Kentucky, but Calipari kept him from drifting out to the perimeter too often. Towns is a lot more well rounded now as a result, IMO.

One extremely underrated big man skill that he is excellent at is the outlet pass. Him, Randle, & Clarkson would virtually assure that we'd be superb in transition for years to come.

Oh ya. Best thing for him. He was a weak (bleep) in the post in high school. He developed so much strength in gaining position, and also to be able to finish through contact. He really was almost Myles Turner weak/fragile in the post before Kentucky. Now he's a well rounded beast

Ya, he's an extraordinarily rare prospect in that he's not bad at anything, really. The worst thing that I can say about him is that he's a bit undisciplined in how he challenges shots, and picks up some dumb fouls as a result. But if you go down a "What I Expect From My Big" Checklist, he's at least okay at everything.

That said, I'm not sure he's great at anything either.

Turner intrigues me too, btw. If I was picking at #10 or later I'd take him and lock him in a gym with my Strength & Conditioning coach for a year.

He's a great free throw shooter for a center. I think he will be bank from mid range honestly, and combine that with the occasional post up and I think he could be all star potential.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
2019 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Except without the DPOY caliber defender. And Randle isn't an ideal spilt post guy either. I'd also argue that Memphis' offense is the reason why they haven't gone further, rather than the reason they've succeeded.

If we can get to the point where we are a consistent mid-level Western Conference playoff team like Memphis, I'll be ecstatic. And the reason for that is because that, unlike Memphis, the Lakers would be in far better position to attract star free agents each offseason, which could transform us from a Memphis-type team to a true title contender in a heartbeat. I think Towns has more bust potential than Okafor, personally, but admittedly I think it's still a pretty low chance of that. Okafor is so skilled and so big that I just can't see him failing.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think we just need to get the ball rolling and become decent again, and I think everything else is likely to fall into place. I know it's tough right now because we've been so bad for a couple of years now and it seems like we can't catch a break. We just need to turn it around and get the ball rolling and that's why I wouldn't hesitate to sign LMA if he actually would come. We build to something and use our space on viable assets and in '17, we could be ready to legitimately contend with the right moves.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:

We don't build to be mid level teams though at our peak.
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject:

I seeTowns as a young Rasheed Wallace without the technicals.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan#37 wrote:
What, you see Towns raining 3s from behind the arc?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
We don't build to be mid level teams though at our peak.

Oh I agree with you. What I'm saying is, if the Lakers simply reach that level, it's easier for us to take the next step as opposed a small-market team like Memphis.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
Lakerfan#37 wrote:
What, you see Towns raining 3s from behind the arc?

Probly not raining them in but a lot of people think he could be a decent 3pt shooter.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
2019 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

If we can get to the point where we are a consistent mid-level Western Conference playoff team like Memphis, I'll be ecstatic. And the reason for that is because that, unlike Memphis, the Lakers would be in far better position to attract star free agents each offseason, which could transform us from a Memphis-type team to a true title contender in a heartbeat. I think Towns has more bust potential than Okafor, personally, but admittedly I think it's still a pretty low chance of that. Okafor is so skilled and so big that I just can't see him failing.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think we just need to get the ball rolling and become decent again, and I think everything else is likely to fall into place. I know it's tough right now because we've been so bad for a couple of years now and it seems like we can't catch a break. We just need to turn it around and get the ball rolling and that's why I wouldn't hesitate to sign LMA if he actually would come. We build to something and use our space on viable assets and in '17, we could be ready to legitimately contend with the right moves.

The heart and soul of what Memphis does is on the defensive end, which is centered (no pun intended) around a superb defensive big. If you want to play like Memphis, Okafor is not the guy for the job.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
2019 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

The heart and soul of what Memphis does is on the defensive end, which is centered (no pun intended) around a superb defensive big. If you want to play like Memphis, Okafor is not the guy for the job.

I hear you. I guess I'm not so much concerned with style of play at the moment. We're so bereft of talent that we just need to pick up assets/legitimate players. Okafor certainly qualifies. If we can just get to that respectable level again within a couple of years, I'm pointing to 2017 to be able to really clean up with that bevy of talented free agents then.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
2019 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Defense is their calling card, true. But let's not act like they don't have a very difficult offense to match up against. Two big guys who are just more physical and skilled than the rest of the game. Something Okafor and Randle both can do... albeit a good amount less. In a league where the big men are playing a more versatile/finesse game, Jah and Ju would be athletic enough to keep up speed wise but also impose their will.

Defense, yeah that's a different story. We'd need 3 good to great wing defenders to keep them covered.

Last edited by 2019 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 373, 374, 375 ... 1689, 1690, 1691  Next
Page 374 of 1691
Jump to: