Lakers Could Have Up to 4 Draft Choices
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Lakers Could Have Up to 4 Draft Choices

Whom should the Lakers consider drafting and why?

How long will it take for them to develop?

Which FA would be the best choice to work with young talent?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-2015-nba-draft-20150203-story.html

-

Projected draft is listed at http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft

In this mock draft, why would they take Russell (SG/PG) over Towns (center from Kentucky)?

Besides Okafor, there does not appear any players with a special buzz surrounding them outside of all the kids playing at Kentucky.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

Emmanuel Mudiay is the prize of next years draft if you ask me.... Eventual All-Star PG is written all over him....

.... that would be someone "besides Okafor" and also be "outside of.... Kentucky".... .... and currently slated at pick #2 in the mock draft link posted here (I've actually seen Mudiay at #1 in some other draft scenarios)....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

The link posted only shows 3 draft picks for the Lakers....

.... I'm presuming that the Clippers pick at #55 currently is what the Lakers would get based on the comment in the article quote: "the Lakers will get the second-rounder of the Clippers (33-16), but only if it's in the 51-55 range"....

... But then the article says quote: "The Clippers are right on the border of owing that pick to the Lakers, but any improvement in the standings by the Clippers and the Lakers will miss out."....

It seems to me that if the Clippers pick is currently #55 it's at the bottom end of the "51-55" range and thus the Clippers could improve some and the Lakers would still get the pick (Lakers keep pick as many as 5 slots above the current pick location), but if the Clippers do any worse then the Lakers will lose out.... the article says "any improvement...", it seems to me it would be the opposite of that.... that is assuming that current Clipper pick at #55 is what we are talking about here....

.... any clarification on this 4th pick the Lakers can get would be appreciated...

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
In this mock draft, why would they take Russell (SG/PG) over Towns (center from Kentucky)?

Besides Okafor, there does not appear any players with a special buzz surrounding them outside of all the kids playing at Kentucky.

There's a special buzz about Russell. He's got that IT factor, where everyone gets excited just anticipating what he's going to do on the next possession.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

Hopefully we win the lottery and get Okafor, Tyus Jones drops to the HOU pick, Caris LeVert drops to our 2nd, and we take a chance at Robert Upshaw with the LAC pick.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:

There's a special buzz about Russell. He's got that IT factor, where everyone gets excited just anticipating what he's going to do on the next possession.

The major issue is perhaps that his athleticism isn't the greatest.... otherwise a lot of potential no doubt.... could develop into a very solid starting PG in the NBA at some point with his excellent passing instincts...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Emmanuel Mudiay is the prize of next years draft if you ask me.... Eventual All-Star PG is written all over him....

.... that would be someone "besides Okafor" and also be "outside of.... Kentucky".... .... and currently slated at pick #2 in the mock draft link posted here (I've actually seen Mudiay at #1 in some other draft scenarios)....

If you can't beat 'em join 'em. It's the age of the PG in the NBA. I'll take the biggest (6'5 200lbs) athletic one. The fact that he's a true PG and not combo guard is icing on the cake (since those are even rarer).

I like Russell alot though. He is a better jump shooter and I could see him dominating games with his IQ like CP3 and Tony Parker. Don't know if he'll ever be as good of a shooter as Steph. But that's no knock on the guy.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

If you can't beat 'em join 'em. It's the age of the PG in the NBA. I'll take the biggest (6'5 200lbs) athletic one. The fact that he's a true PG and not combo guard is icing on the cake (since those are even rarer).

Yep and taken from the mock draft link quote:
Quote:
A true point guard, knows how to run a team, great size and will probably grow more, father is 6'10" and has an older brother who is 6'7" ... Silky smooth, shoots the ball well out to college three, great passer and playmaker, high IQ, very athletic, can get in the lane at will, mature body that will fill out ... Long arms, quick feet, shows a desire to defend, wreaks havoc in the passing lanes, excels most in the open floor where he can use his creativity for himself or teammates ...

.... and notice the bolded part above.... he may get even bigger which is a BIG PLUS with his great talent at the PG position....

.... Note that he was last measured in the summer of 2013 at the Nike Guard Skills Academy.... and he obviously has big time height in his family... if you rounds out at his brothers height of 6-7 and with his skills he will be formidable at the PG position....

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

I wonder how Mudiay handles the ball against NBA level point guard defenders. Seems more like stuckey/tyreke Evans strong guard (with no shooting skills) to me. But he can change that at workouts. He is a mystery.
Triple Double
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
The link posted only shows 3 draft picks for the Lakers....

.... I'm presuming that the Clippers pick at #55 currently is what the Lakers would get based on the comment in the article quote: "the Lakers will get the second-rounder of the Clippers (33-16), but only if it's in the 51-55 range"....

... But then the article says quote: "The Clippers are right on the border of owing that pick to the Lakers, but any improvement in the standings by the Clippers and the Lakers will miss out."....

It seems to me that if the Clippers pick is currently #55 it's at the bottom end of the "51-55" range and thus the Clippers could improve some and the Lakers would still get the pick (Lakers keep pick as many as 5 slots above the current pick location), but if the Clippers do any worse then the Lakers will lose out.... the article says "any improvement...", it seems to me it would be the opposite of that.... that is assuming that current Clipper pick at #55 is what we are talking about here....

.... any clarification on this 4th pick the Lakers can get would be appreciated...

I read it as if the Clippers improve their record, their pick would move down to 55+, out of the Lakers range. So this means, not only am I rooting for the Knicks, Sixers, T-Wolves, and the Magic. After this article, I'm now rooting for Toronto, Portland etc. As of this morning, Clippers are at 53!!
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping for a big with the lotto pick and Jerian/Tyus with the HOU pick. For the second round, probably a doberman and a project big.
LakerLover24
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

If we win the lottery we have to select Okafor and if our pick falls in the 2-5 range I wouldn't mind with selecting Johnson, Mudliay, Towns, or Russell. With the Houston pick we should select Buddy Hield since he is a prolific scorer. Then we should select Rondae Hollis- Jefferson with our second round pick because he is an elite defender and with the LAC pick we should select Alex Poythress. These players fit our needs.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I wonder how Mudiay handles the ball against NBA level point guard defenders. Seems more like stuckey/tyreke Evans strong guard (with no shooting skills) to me. But he can change that at workouts. He is a mystery.

He's got to improve on his shooting, no doubt.... but that's the easiest to improve on, just a lot of hours day after day shooting.... the other aspects like ball-handling and passing has a lot to do with inherent talent to begin with....

Clearly Mudiay will be an All-Star PG in the NBA in my view as long as he continues to improve on his shooting.... He's got all the other talent needed at the point already....

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
kikanga wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

Yep and taken from the mock draft link quote:
Quote:
A true point guard, knows how to run a team, great size and will probably grow more, father is 6'10" and has an older brother who is 6'7" ... Silky smooth, shoots the ball well out to college three, great passer and playmaker, high IQ, very athletic, can get in the lane at will, mature body that will fill out ... Long arms, quick feet, shows a desire to defend, wreaks havoc in the passing lanes, excels most in the open floor where he can use his creativity for himself or teammates ...

.... and notice the bolded part above.... he may get even bigger which is a BIG PLUS with his great talent at the PG position....

.... Note that he was last measured in the summer of 2013 at the Nike Guard Skills Academy.... and he obviously has big time height in his family... if you rounds out at his brothers height of 6-7 and with his skills he will be formidable at the PG position....

Oh he'll grow for sure. I grew after 19 and I'm just a normal human, not an NBA genetic freak. Having another 6'7" PG would be cool
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He's got to improve on his shooting, no doubt.... but that's the easiest to improve on, just a lot of hours day after day shooting.... the other aspects like ball-handling and passing has a lot to do with inherent talent to begin with....

Clearly Mudiay will be an All-Star PG in the NBA in my view as long as he continues to improve on his shooting.... He's got all the other talent needed at the point already....

Reading the weaknesses section of his HS scouting report from Draftexpress scares the heck out of me:

Quote:
Strengths:
-Possesses phenomenal physical tools. Has great size for position to go along with a chiseled frame
-Excellent athlete
-Phenomenal in open court
-Strong ball-handler. Can get to the basket thanks to his powerful first step and excellent strength. Finishes with authority
-Draws tons of fouls. Gets to the free throw line at a great rate
-Can find open man. Likes to get others involved. Shows great flashes of court vision at times
-Has tremendous potential defensively
-Outstanding rebounder for position

Weaknesses
-Lacks polish offensively, as both a facilitator and scorer
-Limited outside shooter. Made just 6/41 3-point attempts in 13 Nike EYBL games this spring
-Needs to work on shooting mechanics. Shoots the ball on the way down. Needs time and space to get shot off
-Much better in open floor than half-court game. Playmaking, decision making still a work in progress. Not consistent with his approach. Plays in spurts at times. Has a tendency to overdribble. Doesn't always read the floor, particularly on the pick and roll. Sometimes forces issue unnecessarily. Relies too much on physical tools
-Extremely turnover prone. Ranked #1 in the EYBL in turnovers. AAU team lost more games than they won when he played

Outlook: Incredibly gifted athlete with terrific upside. Has quite a few holes in his game and needs plenty of work on his skill-level, but looks to be in a good place to improve at SMU under Larry Brown.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3R5J27Lm7
http://www.draftexpress.com
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

I think the future of the NBA is lengthy athleticism at perimeter positions.

We've kinda seen the prototype with Durant and his 6'11 ish size at the 3 position.
The Greek Freak is a good example. Dude is getting close to 7 feet tall at his position. Saw him take two strides from the 3 point line and yam against us.

We all know of Thon Maker as well.

Mudiay's athleticism and 6'8 wingspan looks like the PG equivalent to me.

Now that HGH testing is getting more stringent league-wide. I wouldn't be surprised if lengthy athleticism is the common denominator for the league's future superstars.

Last edited by kikanga on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Nothing is clear cut imo. The last draftee that I felt that way was Anthony Davis. I think he's a combo guard who bulldozes with his strength. I don't see him as a true PG at the NBA but a power guard. Again just my initial observations watching him in the Chinese League which distorts it all. He could be a beast but I'm nowhere near calling him a sure thing like ADavis was.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
^I think the future of the NBA is lengthy athleticism at perimeter positions.

We've kinda seen the prototype with Durant and his 6'11 ish size at the 3 position.
The Greek Freak is a good example. Dude is getting close to 7 feet tall at his position. Saw him take two strides from the 3 point line and yam against us.
Here's the link
We all know of [url=http://youtu.be/wttjoWjzvm4][/url]∑Thon Maker as well.

Now that HGH testing is getting more stringent league-wide. I wouldn't be surprised if lengthy athleticism is the common denominator for the league's future superstars.

His shooting will take a while to improve. 54% at the Ft line in the Chinese league is concerning too, particularly for a power guard like him. While length and size are important so is the ability to shoot in the modern NBA. He will be left wide open if he can't hit a shot. At least Russell is a deadly shooter already.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

A consequence of these long armed wings is that you have teams being very aggressive with cheating their weak side help defense to jam up lanes to the basket, or switching on defense to defeat the pnr.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/milwaukees-makeover-how-the-bucks-decided-to-buckle-down-and-play-for-the-future/

That's why I like the idea of Russell so much, if he translates to the NBA. Someone who can read the defense and then fire a bullet pass on the money to whoever's man helped, or if they switched, either launching the quick fire 3 or getting the ball to the big man in deep post position.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Of course you can't teach that combination of size and skills that Giannis provides on the court.... amazing athleticism at 6-11 and a really great selection in the draft at pick #15.... I'm sure quite a few GM's are kicking themselves....

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Emmanuel Mudiay is the prize of next years draft if you ask me.... Eventual All-Star PG is written all over him

Tattoos?

He strikes me as Dante Exum 2. If you're willing to wait 2-3 years, he might be good. Or he might be another Darko. I'd let someone else roll the dice on him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:

See the sig.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Of course you can't teach that combination of size and skills that Giannis provides on the court.... amazing athleticism at 6-11 and a really great selection in the draft at pick #15.... I'm sure quite a few GM's are kicking themselves....
Should/Would it be wise to get the most talented big man (true big man) over a PG, unless the talent/potential differences are great or it is a Lebron/Kobe/Davis-crazy mad skills.

Doesn't it get tiring seeing fastbreak opportunities result in 3 pt shots resulting in long rebounds where 20+ leads disappear in minutes. It seems that any quality mobile big man that can be a legitimate low post threat will be able to develop much more quickly to make a big impact. Even talented PGs (Wall, Kyrie and others) have taken years before they either got into the playoffs or were a legitimate playoff threat.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

The good thing is that there are some good FA centers next offseason. If we don't get one in the draft, we try to sign one.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
^I think the future of the NBA is lengthy athleticism at perimeter positions.

Here's the link

His shooting will take a while to improve. 54% at the Ft line in the Chinese league is concerning too, particularly for a power guard like him. While length and size are important so is the ability to shoot in the modern NBA. He will be left wide open if he can't hit a shot. At least Russell is a deadly shooter already.

He's definitely not a finished product.
But what he's good at (getting in the paint at will and using his size to score/draw fouls/feed bigs for open finishes) I expect him to be able to do almost immediately.
Russell's athleticism isn't elite on the college level IMO (but it is above average). But his IQ is elite. With the exception of catch-and-shooting I think it'll take him time/experience to become elite the same way he is now in the pros. I see him going the CP3/Parker/Curry route to stardom.
As opposed to the quick, clear-cut, size and athleticism upside Mudiay shares with past ROY winners Rose, Irving, Evans, and Wall* (*2nd in voting).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: