Lakers Could Have Up to 4 Draft Choices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject:

I hope we don't have to worry about either and just draft Towns.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I wonder how Mudiay handles the ball against NBA level point guard defenders. Seems more like stuckey/tyreke Evans strong guard (with no shooting skills) to me. But he can change that at workouts. He is a mystery.
He's got to improve on his shooting, no doubt.... but that's the easiest to improve on, just a lot of hours day after day shooting.... the other aspects like ball-handling and passing has a lot to do with inherent talent to begin with....

Clearly Mudiay will be an All-Star PG in the NBA in my view as long as he continues to improve on his shooting.... He's got all the other talent needed at the point already....
Reading the weaknesses section of his HS scouting report from Draftexpress scares the heck out of me:

Quote:
Strengths:
-Possesses phenomenal physical tools. Has great size for position to go along with a chiseled frame
-Excellent athlete
-Phenomenal in open court
-Strong ball-handler. Can get to the basket thanks to his powerful first step and excellent strength. Finishes with authority
-Draws tons of fouls. Gets to the free throw line at a great rate
-Can find open man. Likes to get others involved. Shows great flashes of court vision at times
-Has tremendous potential defensively
-Outstanding rebounder for position

Weaknesses
-Lacks polish offensively, as both a facilitator and scorer
-Limited outside shooter. Made just 6/41 3-point attempts in 13 Nike EYBL games this spring
-Needs to work on shooting mechanics. Shoots the ball on the way down. Needs time and space to get shot off
-Much better in open floor than half-court game. Playmaking, decision making still a work in progress. Not consistent with his approach. Plays in spurts at times. Has a tendency to overdribble. Doesn't always read the floor, particularly on the pick and roll. Sometimes forces issue unnecessarily. Relies too much on physical tools
-Extremely turnover prone. Ranked #1 in the EYBL in turnovers. AAU team lost more games than they won when he played

Outlook: Incredibly gifted athlete with terrific upside. Has quite a few holes in his game and needs plenty of work on his skill-level, but looks to be in a good place to improve at SMU under Larry Brown.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3R5J27Lm7
http://www.draftexpress.com
I have to admit that bolded part above especially scares the heck out of me as well.... I hadn't seen that before.... It would be good to know in contrast to what was said, if the AAU team actually won more games when he didn't play or did they still lose games than they won anyway (that wasn't clear). Clearly the TO's are not good of course....
TO prone PGs is something the Lakers do NOT need.

To be fair, he's virtually equivalent to a high school basketball player in as much as he only played 9 games for the Guangdong Chinese team before going down with an injury... it's also worth noting that for those 9 games Guangdong went 8-1 as Mudiay led the team at the point.... So the reference to the record at Texas Select AAU team doesn't really have much meaning at all and is frankly countered with his impressive record on Guangdong.... Also I would add that Mudiay is very often compared to potentially being a mix between John Wall and Jrue Holiday—big, skilled playmakers who can take over in the half court and play above the rim in the open floor. His potential is extremely impressive so the fact he is still raw in some aspects of his game should take second stage to his remarkable upside imho....

Again, I've said that Russell is no doubt more polished at this stage for both players but that said it is clear that Mudiay would appear to have a much higher upside over time when comparing the two however.... it comes down to what you want in the short-term versus the long-term.... Admittedly there may be more of a gamble regarding Mudiay, but the potential is so remarkable for Mudiay that a team that picks him could end up with one of the greatest TRUE PG's in the game....

Bottom-line: Concerns about his TO's may be overblown considering how still raw he is and considering his vast potential upside....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

Mudiay clearly uses his physical game to attack the rim. But not sure how that translates to the NBA especially when he can't shoot (which is undisputed). Guys like Tyreke Evans and Rodney stuckey did the same thing and they had a pretty low ceiling.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:

From the DX video I saw more Lance Stephenson than John Wall. To be fair, I need to watch a full game before really getting a feel.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
From the DX video I saw more Lance Stephenson than John Wall. To be fair, I need to watch a full game before really getting a feel.

Is he as big/strong as Lance?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

No, but versus most of the Chinese guys he is. Really well developed for his age.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

Mudiays athleticism is nowhere near John walls. Someone here compared him to tyreke Evans and I think that's a spot on comparison. Give me Russell everytime.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

No matter what pick the Lakers have the one thing that they can not do is take a risk on a player that might grow into a player. Unless of courts they want to be the Timberwolves. Minny has a fantastic set of young players and they get their ass kicked most games. What is worse is that they won't keep all of their rookies because some will leave because they want to win.

So some lucky balls and an Okafor pick is best case. The kid will hit the ground running on offense and hopefully will learn to guard people.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Mudiays athleticism is nowhere near John walls. Someone here compared him to tyreke Evans and I think that's a spot on comparison. Give me Russell everytime.

That's me.

I see his floor (Rodney Stuckey) and ceiling, Tyreke Evans. Someone else said Lance but i don't think Mudiay is as big/strong as Lance.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

That's me.

I see his floor (Rodney Stuckey) and ceiling, Tyreke Evans. Someone else said Lance but i don't think Mudiay is as big/strong as Lance.

I agree Evans is a perfect comparison. Mudiay is very turnover prone also so I'm not really sure what the difference between a player like mudiay and kris Dunn is. Both are turnover prone lead guards who can score and Make plays.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the Clippers will end up as a top-10 team...so that pick might not come.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
The Clippers pick is extremely unlikely, and the lottery pick is not guarantee either. With their current record, there is almost a 20% chance that the Lakers could lose their pick to Phx.

Not sure about the other 2, but Minny will probably pass the lakers, since they're not really a .250 team bad with their players back.

At this pace, the Lakers will have the worse record.

Boy is Magic going to have a field day then. Jim Buss better have some thick skin.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Telleris wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
The Clippers pick is extremely unlikely, and the lottery pick is not guarantee either. With their current record, there is almost a 20% chance that the Lakers could lose their pick to Phx.
Not sure about the other 2, but Minny will probably pass the lakers, since they're not really a .250 team bad with their players back.
At this pace, the Lakers will have the worse record.

Boy is Magic going to have a field day then. Jim Buss better have some thick skin.
Magic is being just a fan again since he sold his stake in ownership.

Given the injuries (Kobe, Nash and Randle for the entire season), the best this Lakers roster can be is a mediocre team that might be a lower seed playoff team (even in Magic's eyes), that is a bad management decision.

Magic's comments give the impression that they don't have a scouting department that helps them masks decisions. Of course, Magic would have wanted Phil in Jim's position and his current track record showed that he would have done worse since Mitch would be working for another club.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
^I think the future of the NBA is lengthy athleticism at perimeter positions.

We've kinda seen the prototype with Durant and his 6'11 ish size at the 3 position.
The Greek Freak is a good example. Dude is getting close to 7 feet tall at his position. Saw him take two strides from the 3 point line and yam against us.
Here's the link
We all know of Thon Maker as well.

Mudiay's athleticism and 6'8 wingspan looks like the PG equivalent to me.

Now that HGH testing is getting more stringent league-wide. I wouldn't be surprised if lengthy athleticism is the common denominator for the league's future superstars.

His shooting will take a while to improve. 54% at the Ft line in the Chinese league is concerning too, particularly for a power guard like him. While length and size are important so is the ability to shoot in the modern NBA. He will be left wide open if he can't hit a shot. At least Russell is a deadly shooter already.

He's definitely not a finished product.
But what he's good at (getting in the paint at will and using his size to score/draw fouls/feed bigs for open finishes) I expect him to be able to do almost immediately.
Russell's athleticism isn't elite on the college level IMO (but it is above average). But his IQ is elite. With the exception of catch-and-shooting I think it'll take him time/experience to become elite the same way he is now in the pros. I see him going the CP3/Parker/Curry route to stardom.
As opposed to the quick, clear-cut, size and athleticism upside Mudiay shares with past ROY winners Rose, Irving, Evans, and Wall* (*2nd in voting).

Considering the competition, his IQ isn't elite. He's getting away with pure instinct and talent in the CBA. The defense can't even react to what he does on the floor. It's laughable.

He can't get away with A LOT of that stuff on the NCAA floor, nevermind the NBA.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Stephenson has a tighter handle and better discipline on passing.

And he's a playmaking SG.

oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject:

Tyreke also looks to have a tighter handle than Mudiay. That was the first thing I noticed about Mudiay, his handles looked very loose, and he constantly dribbled the ball high above his waist. I never saw exceptional athleticism either. IMO, from the small amount of footage I watched, Tyreke was my first comparison, but a poor man's version of Tyreke.

Tyreke is a good player, just used in the wrong position a good portion of the time. He's a pg who needs to improve his outside shot.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

That's me.

Mudiay you have to remember is still very,very young, and more size is coming in these next couple years height wise, and strength size/muscle will continue even beyond these next couple years....His father is 6-10 and his Brother 6-7, so I think he still has got some growth coming....

I see him in a way more like a young D.Wade.....And think that outside shot can come along. What worries me is that while we wait for his outside shot to develop he will be taking the ball to the rim, and like Wade will eventually break down with hard hits upon hard hits....

If the lakers get that pick we all want, and it ends up being Mudiay vrs Russell they will be taking a very close look at them both, but......As of now I give the edge to Russell....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

That's me.

Mudiay you have to remember is still very,very young, and more size is coming in these next couple years height wise, and strength size/muscle will continue even beyond these next couple years....His father is 6-10 and his Brother 6-7, so I think he still has got some growth coming....

I see him in a way more like a young D.Wade.....And think that outside shot can come along. What worries me is that while we wait for his outside shot to develop he will be taking the ball to the rim, and like Wade will eventually break down with hard hits upon hard hits....

If the lakers get that pick we all want, and it ends up being Mudiay vrs Russell they will be taking a very close look at them both, but......As of now I give the edge to Russell....

Let's be careful before comparing him to DWade. Wade was far more explosive and had a much better overall game. Wade was also much older but not sure about that comparison. I'm really not sold on Mudiay.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
That's me.

I see his floor (Rodney Stuckeyd) and ceiling, Tyreke Evans. Someone else said Lance but i don't think Mudiay is as big/strong as Lance.

Let's be careful before comparing him to DWade. Wade was far more explosive and had a much better overall game. Wade was also much older but not sure about that comparison. I'm really not sold on Mudiay.
Unless the FO believe he has Kobe/Lebron skills, talent, mental toughness and potential - why should they use their first round pick to get him?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

Dwyane Wade was a self made player out of Marquette, not the highest recruited guy.

Even then, he was more explosive around the basket than Mudiay.

laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
No matter what pick the Lakers have the one thing that they can not do is take a risk on a player that might grow into a player. Unless of courts they want to be the Timberwolves. Minny has a fantastic set of young players and they get their ass kicked most games. What is worse is that they won't keep all of their rookies because some will leave because they want to win.

So some lucky balls and an Okafor pick is best case. The kid will hit the ground running on offense and hopefully will learn to guard people.

I agree with you one hundred percent.

We can have 4 picks but it does not matter. Lakers are not going anywhere unless they get perennial all star/super star.

Our FO is lost because we do not have a system in place. Our organization previously had a system.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
youcantguardme wrote:

I agree with you one hundred percent.

We can have 4 picks but it does not matter. Lakers are not going anywhere unless they get perennial all star/super star.

Our FO is lost because we do not have a system in place. Our organization previously had a system.

? The FO now is the same FO from before.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Russell is Step Curry-lite; I'd take him in a heart beat!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Keep an eye on the Rockets. They have a pretty tough schedule the rest of the way. Their pick is currently #25.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Keep an eye on the Rockets. They have a pretty tough schedule the rest of the way. Their pick is currently #25.

Yup would love to have a legitimate shot at Jerian Grant with that pick. If not then at least Tyus Jones.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: