Lakers Could Have Up to 4 Draft Choices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Keep an eye on the Rockets. They have a pretty tough schedule the rest of the way. Their pick is currently #25.

Yup would love to have a legitimate shot at Jerian Grant with that pick. If not then at least Tyus Jones.

I like both of those guys too. I'd trade the Houston 1st plus our 2nd to move up to get one of them. Either of them plus Towns/Okafor would be a great draft.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
gng930 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Keep an eye on the Rockets. They have a pretty tough schedule the rest of the way. Their pick is currently #25.
Yup would love to have a legitimate shot at Jerian Grant with that pick. If not then at least Tyus Jones.
I like both of those guys too. I'd trade the Houston 1st plus our 2nd to move up to get one of them. Either of them plus Towns/Okafor would be a great draft.
What makes Grant or Jones a good pick?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
gng930 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Tyus Jones: Did you watch last night? The kid has nerves of steel. Can hit the 3, control the offense, and surprisingly, drive to the rim and finish. I'll take him.

Grant: a strong combo guard who will play SG in the NBA. Good defender, a bit old for his class, but I could see him as a reliable 2 way player in the NBA.

Unfortunately, both will be gone by the Houston pick IMO.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
gng930 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Tyus Jones: Did you watch last night? The kid has nerves of steel. Can hit the 3, control the offense, and surprisingly, drive to the rim and finish. I'll take him.

Grant: a strong combo guard who will play SG in the NBA. Good defender, a bit old for his class, but I could see him as a reliable 2 way player in the NBA.

If we somehow get the 1st pick and select Okafor, it would be surreal if we somehow managed to pick up Ty Jones too.
That would set us up for years to come. The future would indeed be very bright!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
gng930 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

If we somehow get the 1st pick and select Okafor, it would be surreal if we somehow managed to pick up Ty Jones too.

he's on the smallish side and not sure how well he can play against NBA level athletes/defenses, but at worst, I could see him as a sixth man type PG.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
gng930 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

he's on the smallish side and not sure how well he can play against NBA level athletes/defenses, but at worst, I could see him as a sixth man type PG.

TJ could develop into a good second option at pg. He has the smarts and the quickness.
I'm not so sure about his defense against NBA-level competition either. But I think he could hold his own. Time will tell.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
gng930 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

TJ could develop into a good second option at pg. He has the smarts and the quickness.
I'm not so sure about his defense against NBA-level competition either. But I think he could hold his own. Time will tell.

he certainly has the skill and the heart. That's a great starting point. But I fear he will be gone by our Houston pick anyways.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
gng930 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Tyrus Jones: Did you watch last night? The kid has nerves of steel. Can hit the 3, control the offense, and surprisingly, drive to the rim and finish. I'll take him.

If we somehow get the 1st pick and select Okafor, it would be surreal if we somehow managed to pick up Ty Jones too. That would set us up for years to come. The future would indeed be very bright!
TJ could develop into a good second option at pg. He has the smarts and the quickness. I'm not so sure about his defense against NBA-level competition either. But I think he could hold his own. Time will tell.
If people are now questioning his defense and not confident on his offense, it would curious to hear what other scouting reports say about him and what competition he faces. Would he be like another Lillard or just a project that would sit at the end of the bench for a couple years?
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject:

Okafor
Mudiay
Russell
Johnson.

Personally I would not be upset if the Lakers took Stanley Johnson ahead of everyone not named Jahlil Okafor.

Stanley has every tool to be a premier defender. He utilizes his footwork and quickness to guard 1s and 2s and uses his size to guard 3s and 4s. He is basically the same size as Julius Randle but quicker and dare I say stronger. He is what Ron Artest was at St. Johns.

But the list up top is my draft order. The only players in the top 5 that scare me are Towns and Russell. I keep seeing Jordan Crawford and John Henson in them.

I think Robert Upshaw would be a heck of a steal with the late first round pick. If he drops that bad habit he would easily be a lottery pick.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

repandpresent wrote:
Okafor
Mudiay
Russell
Johnson.

Personally I would not be upset if the Lakers took Stanley Johnson ahead of everyone not named Jahlil Okafor.

Stanley has every tool to be a premier defender. He utilizes his footwork and quickness to guard 1s and 2s and uses his size to guard 3s and 4s. He is basically the same size as Julius Randle but quicker and dare I say stronger. He is what Ron Artest was at St. Johns.

But the list up top is my draft order. The only players in the top 5 that scare me are Towns and Russell. I keep seeing Jordan Crawford and John Henson in them.

I think Robert Upshaw would be a heck of a steal with the late first round pick. If he drops that bad habit he would easily be a lottery pick.

Russell is a much better shooter and passer than Crawford. Crawfords best average from 3pt. was 39%. Russell is currently posting 43%. The court vision is not even close imo?

I believe Towns is a lot more muscular and bigger than Henson no? I like the Upshaw pick as well.

Last edited by Tony Anapolis on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

If I were the Lakers I would be looking to buy more picks with cold hard cash.

Get 4-5 new players in this draft.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

As it stands right now, they already have 4 in this year's draft.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

The last pick we bought at was the 46th for J. Clarkson cost us 1.8 million dollars. We only get to spend up to 3.3 million dollars during 1 season. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

repandpresent wrote:
Okafor
Mudiay
Russell
Johnson.

You need to watch more of Towns and Russell. Those comparisons of Henson and Jordan Crawford are pretty badly off base.

Think more of a bigger, more D focused Al Horford, and a James Harden with better court vision and less flopping
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

The Clipper pick is very iffy...and it's a really low pick too. And the lottery pick, while likely, is not guaranteed either.

I'd like them to try to buy another late first rounder (probably going to be difficult), or a couple of high to mid second rounders(more likely). We've actually had a decent track record of picking up talent in the 40s. And I think if you take more shots, you have a great chance of hitting the bullseye.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

The last pick we bought at was the 46th for J. Clarkson cost us 1.8 million dollars. We only get to spend up to 3.3 million dollars during 1 season. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, that's what I heard too.

Translates to: one late first rounder, or two second rounders. The Lakers are not hurting for cash. Just buy the picks.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

repandpresent wrote:
Okafor
Mudiay
Russell
Johnson.

On this day, even with a few years in the pros, Henson has about 50% of the offense that Towns has as a freshman in college.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

The Clipper pick is very iffy...and it's a really low pick too. And the lottery pick, while likely, is not guaranteed either.

I'd like them to try to buy another late first rounder (probably going to be difficult), or a couple of high to mid second rounders(more likely). We've actually had a decent track record of picking up talent in the 40s. And I think if you take more shots, you have a great chance of hitting the bullseye.

I think using their annual cash allotment in the draft is a good way to utilitze it. I could see them adding another pick with some of it. I am confident in the FO's abilit to draft, and another decent asset going forward would be more valuable than using the cash to get rid of a bad contract.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

I think using their annual cash allotment in the draft is a good way to utilitze it. I could see them adding another pick with some of it. I am confident in the FO's abilit to draft, and another decent asset going forward would be more valuable than using the cash to get rid of a bad contract.
How much weight should we place on the touted potential lottery draft picks' (along with surprising and umexpected players) performances during March Madness?

Given the Clippers' baffling imconsistencies, the chances that the Lakers might get the pick from the Clips.

Maybe a combination of picks plus JHill might get the #1 pick if the Lakers don't get it?

With the Lakers having four rookies, a player who has one full season under their belt and one player with two years of experience on his resume - would acquiring a savvy and productice veteran be key, along with a high-profiles FA + Lottery pick, would make the Lakers very competitive?

This is with the possibility that
Spurs - getting older
Grizzs - Gasol coming back
OKC - uncertainty with their Big Three
Trailblazer - questions surrounding LA
Warriors - Bogut's health
Clips - always an underachieving team
Suns - no bigs
Nuggets - how fast can they go
Kings - does Karl do magic with Boogie
TWolves - will they grow up
Mavs - will Rondo stay and be successful
Rockets - will Howard ever be a winning dominant big
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

IMO, the only way you move up to the top pick is by adding something really tantalizing to your lower pick. Hill and much lower picks just isn't that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
IMO, the only way you move up to the top pick is by adding something really tantalizing to your lower pick. Hill and much lower picks just isn't that.

Wait, no one wants a guy who doesn't hustle/play defense yet fancies himself as a mini Dirk?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
If the Lakers offered the 3rd and 25th pick plus JHill with cash to get Okafor - maybe a team that is looking to get multiple rookies while needing a big coming off the bench for reboinds might be interested.

Lakers need what an ESPN article stated BScott was hoping that Nash would have provided

"Scott envisioned the then-40-year old Nash, a two-time MVP, playing between 15 and 20 minutes a night. But more importantly, Scott hoped Nash would be around the team to help instill professionalism and leadership into their younger players."

With Okafor, Black, Clarkson, Brown, Ellington, Davis, Randle, Black Mamba, RKelly and Max FA - Mitch has shown the ability to find good complimentary players
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

repandpresent wrote:

I would be beyond irate if we took Stanley Johnson over any of the Big 4. Hell, I think I'd be upset taking him over WCS or any the top Euros.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject:

LA 4 picks:

#3 or 4: Russell or Mudiay (assuming bigs are gone)

Houstin pick: Tyus Jones or RJ Hunter

2nd round: Hollis-Jefferson or Gary Payton III

Late 2nd: Rakeem Christmas, Robert Upshaw or Diop
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
LA 4 picks:

#3 or 4: Russell or Mudiay (assuming bigs are gone)

Houstin pick: Tyus Jones or RJ Hunter

2nd round: Hollis-Jefferson or Gary Payton III

Late 2nd: Rakeem Christmas, Robert Upshaw or Diop
What are the scouting reports saying that the players mentioned can actually make the roster?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: