Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
C M B wrote:
This is better than Breaking Bad. The best part is no Aaron Paul to cheapen the show.

totally agree... Paul did win awards for the show, odd.

Not sure how a character as integral to the show as Jesse was being played so perfectly as Aaron Paul did "cheapens" the show.

Quite the opposite.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:
C M B wrote:
This is better than Breaking Bad. The best part is no Aaron Paul to cheapen the show.

Not sure how a character as integral to the show as Jesse was being played so perfectly as Aaron Paul did "cheapens" the show.

Quite the opposite.

I'm not familiar with past efforts of Aaron Paul, I judge him by his portrayal of Jesse. IMO he did a excellent job.

I'm guessing some are looking at Paul's overall performances and laying it prey to BB.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I dont get the AP hate. His character transformed a few times over the course of the show and he played each version of Jesse great. Also, "YEAH, MAGNETS B****!"
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

Saw "Exodus: Gods and Kings" for the first time yesterday. Aaron Paul played Joshua (Moses's right hand man).
Watching Christian Bale and Aaron Paul playing Hebrews who speak English with an English accent was....interesting.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if Bryan Cranston was chosen for the role because he looks something like the real Walter White? LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:
C M B wrote:

Quite the opposite.

and fyi, he was actually intended to be a bit player in the original scripts, should've been bumped off after the 1st season... I guess they decided they needed someone the younger audiences can connect to. but I imagine, I could erase Jesse from all of it and actually wind up with a much tighter BB. imo, his story added very little to BB.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:
C M B wrote:

Quite the opposite.

and fyi, he was actually intended to be a bit player in the original scripts, should've been bumped off after the 1st season... I guess they decided they needed someone the younger audiences can connect to. but I imagine, I could erase Jesse from all of it and actually wind up with a much tighter BB. imo, his story added very little to BB.

Whoa, the Jesse/Walt is the most dynamic relationship in the show.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:
C M B wrote:

Quite the opposite.

Gilligan actually credit's Paul's acting as the reason they couldn't write him out and I'm very glad they didn't. Of coarse the writer strike helped too. He annoyed me a bit early on but you start to sympathize with him and he became a deeper piece of the puzzle. No Jesse = no dual father son struggle, no Jane, no realistic bridge to Saul and gets rid of the biggest bargaining chip in season 4.

I don't think the manipulation of Walt would have been as profound had Gilligan just shifted it to focusing more to Skylar, Marie, ect... Since Walt didn't really get his hands as dirty as they should have, we saw a lot of this trickle down to Jesse. He went from a snot nose to the one I was rooting for the most by the end of the series. Some see him as a crybaby but he's broken directly because of Walt. With the show being more than just Walt selling his soul, Jesse was more than just a good call from Vince.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Jessie/Walt was a love, hate relationship. They stood with each other against others, tried to kill one another on occasions but couldn't.

IMO their relationship was cruciial to the plot. Teacher vs student, father, son.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Aaron Paul is a good actor and the character of Jesse is a critical part of Breaking Bad being the great show that it is.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
http://time.com/3740595/breaking-bad-vince-gilligan-pizza/

LINK

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:
C M B wrote:

Quite the opposite.

and fyi, he was actually intended to be a bit player in the original scripts, should've been bumped off after the 1st season... I guess they decided they needed someone the younger audiences can connect to.

I've heard many Vince Gilligan interviews over the course of the shows run, so I'm well aware that Jesse wasn't originally conceived to be more than a first sea on character to get the story rolling. But you are wrong about why he was kept around. It had nothing to do with appealing to the younger audience. The Vince and his staff really don't think in those kind of Network marketing terms. They are committed to story and being true to the product. Ass they made their way through season one, they realized that the character of Jesse was actually much more important to the story than they originally envisioned and could bring an element that would be very important to the story going forward. Jesse's place in the show from that point on was not a capricious after thought to get viewers.

Quote:
but I imagine, I could erase Jesse from all of it and actually wind up with a much tighter BB. imo, his story added very little to BB.

Well, the Creator and writers of the show disagree with you - fortunately. And no offense, but if you feel that way then a very important dynamic of that show went sailing right over your head. The show wouldn't get "tighter" for Jesse's absence. That character added dimension to everything that happened in that show. First of all, neither Walt's nor Mike's story lines would have been as strong without the Jesse Pinkman element. Secondly, some huge plot points would be gone if not for the Jesse character.

Sorry, again, no offense intended, but if you think the Jesse Pinkman character was that disposable, then you missed huge nuances of the story-telling - which is unfortunate for you.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Drifts wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:
C M B wrote:

Quite the opposite.

Whoa, the Jesse/Walt is the most dynamic relationship in the show.

Yep. Jesse was the Ying to Walt's Yang.

Not only that, but the whole Mike story loses luster without Jesse. Without his dynamic with Jesse, Mike is just a flat, hard ass handy man getting his job done.

Not to mention that the show loses so many crucial moments without the Jesse character. Right off the top, that show is not the same if you don't have the scene where Walt facilitates Jane's death. It's one of the crucial moments in watching Walt's decline as he move from sympathetic protagonist to the ruthless villain you find yourself rooting for.

Without Jesse, Breaking Bad doesn't break out, and is just plain bad.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Drifts wrote:
C M B wrote:

Quite the opposite.

and fyi, he was actually intended to be a bit player in the original scripts, should've been bumped off after the 1st season... I guess they decided they needed someone the younger audiences can connect to.

I've heard many Vince Gilligan interviews over the course of the shows run, so I'm well aware that Jesse wasn't originally conceived to be more than a first sea on character to get the story rolling. But you are wrong about why he was kept around. It had nothing to do with appealing to the younger audience. The Vince and his staff really don't think in those kind of Network marketing terms. They are committed to story and being true to the product. Ass they made their way through season one, they realized that the character of Jesse was actually much more important to the story than they originally envisioned and could bring an element that would be very important to the story going forward. Jesse's place in the show from that point on was not a capricious after thought to get viewers.

Quote:
but I imagine, I could erase Jesse from all of it and actually wind up with a much tighter BB. imo, his story added very little to BB.

Well, the Creator and writers of the show disagree with you - fortunately. And no offense, but if you feel that way then a very important dynamic of that show went sailing right over your head. The show wouldn't get "tighter" for Jesse's absence. That character added dimension to everything that happened in that show. First of all, neither Walt's nor Mike's story lines would have been as strong without the Jesse Pinkman element. Secondly, some huge plot points would be gone if not for the Jesse character.

Sorry, again, no offense intended, but if you think the Jesse Pinkman character was that disposable, then you missed huge nuances of the story-telling - which is unfortunate for you.

Jesse's story dragged on... to the point that he had to be a zombie worker to even have meaning to the show in the end. his story was essential, no doubt, but only essential up to the end of season 1 or 2, max. I like Aaron Paul but Jesse Pinkman was annoying, (bleep) and moaning... besides, his story was a side story to the main plot, w/c was Walter White... a terminal cancer patient, who used his superior intellect to become a drug kingpin in the shadows, without his family or loved ones, or even his DEA brother in-law knowing... meanwhile we get to see how his world crumbled around him...

now, Jesse Pinkman was just an accessory to that story... he could have been bumped off season 1... Walt gets to partner up with another young guy in the next season, bump that guy off in a season or 2, etc.... and so on and so forth, and BB could've still been a huge success. and I say, with an even tighter, grittier story...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Jesse did get irritating at times. What with his on again -off again drug habits and just plain simple mindedness. But there was also a bit of a father/son dynamic between he and Walt. Then eventually almost the same kind of dynamic with Jesse and Mike.

That aspect of the relationship never completely blossomed... but it was always teetering on the edge. The few times Jesse invited Walt to "hang out" (go-karts) or just sit back and drink some beers in front of the tv. I remember some of us even debating about whether or not Jesse ever called Walt by his first name. And how glorious and profound it would be IF and when he did. LOL
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

Irritated is a good word to describe how Jessie made me feel. I wanted him to kick the habit and just cook. He'd go on stupid and piss me off.

I also wanted to see him hook up with Andrea.

The digression in this thread gives rise to which characters and stars had more audience impact BB or BCS. Read the posts, who's the reason for the season? Jessie

SIDE NOTE: I don't know if you guys are familiar with popcorntime or not. If you want to watch the latest movies, TV shows and whatnot, this is a great site. Google it for the download.

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Finally saw the episode.

Jonathan Banks deserves an Emmy for that performance.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:

Sticking to Breaking Bad's Colory Theory (though I'm not sure how anyone familiar with it wouldn't notice it in Saul):

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/one-thing-you-probably-didnt-notice-in-better-call-saul#.fyNvL5QrzL
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Really liked tonight's episode. Maybe not on the same level as Mike's episode but it was nice seeing the Kettlefreaks get screwed.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Really liked tonight's episode. Maybe not on the same level as Mike's episode but it was nice seeing the Kettlefreaks get screwed.

Me too. That was the Saul Goodman at his best last night.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Sticking to Breaking Bad's Colory Theory (though I'm not sure how anyone familiar with it wouldn't notice it in Saul):

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/one-thing-you-probably-didnt-notice-in-better-call-saul#.fyNvL5QrzL

I paid attention to the colors this episode after you posted this. Definitely consistent.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

^ same here, haha. So much blue.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I paid attention to the colors this episode after you posted this. Definitely consistent.

Unbelievable! Took note also. Subliminal messages tied to colors. The wife of the embezzler was wearing red. Mike wore black.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

Loved the music at the end
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Loved the music at the end

I did too. Does BCS have a sound track one can buy or download? They have some good listening music throughout the show.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17
Jump to: