RIP Anthony Mason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: RIP Anthony Mason

Even though he gave the Pacers a hard time he was a worthy opponent RIP

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/12397807/anthony-mason-former-new-york-knick-forward-dies-48

Quote:
Anthony Mason dies at age of 48

Former Knick Anthony Mason Dies At 48

Anthony Mason, a longtime NBA player who helped the New York Knicks reach the 1994 NBA Finals, has died at the age of 48.

A Knicks spokesperson confirmed to ESPN that Mason died early Saturday morning. The 13-year NBA veteran had been diagnosed with congestive heart failure earlier this month.

"First I want to thank all those who offered prayers and well-wishes for my Father, our family really appreciates it," his son, Anthony Mason Jr., said Saturday. "Overnight, New York City and the world lost a legend, a friend, a brother ... but more than anything our father, Anthony Mason. As you all would expect our father -- Big Mase -- put up an incredible fight, dealing with a severe heart issue. I'm wishing this was something else I was writing, but Pops we've got to let you know we love you and know you'll always be with us."

[+] EnlargeAnthony Mason
Brad Mangin/NBAE/Getty Images
Anthony Mason played parts of 13 seasons in the NBA and was a key member of the 1993-94 Knicks team that reached the NBA Finals.
Mason's other son Antoine, a senior basketball player at Auburn, had said earlier this week that his father was "getting better" following multiple heart surgeries.

Mason played for six teams but was best remembered for his five-year tenure with the Knicks. Mason's bruising, physical play epitomized then-coach Pat Riley's Knicks teams. The 6-foot-7 forward became a fan favorite for his physical play and also drew attention for the creative artwork and messages that he had carved in his hair cuts.

Mason teamed with Patrick Ewing, Charles Oakley and John Starks to help the Knicks win the Eastern Conference in 1994 and reach the NBA Finals, where they lost to the Houston Rockets in seven games.

Mason won the NBA's Sixth Man Award in 1994-95 as a member of the Knicks. He also played with the Charlotte Hornets, Milwaukee Bucks and Miami Heat following his stint with the Knicks.

"Anthony was a multifaceted individual," his longtime agent Don Cronson told ESPN.com's Ian O'Connor. "There were many aspects to his personality, and some that people weren't aware of. In the best sense of the term he was a momma's boy. From the day I met him he was always thinking of his mom and taking care of her. As rough and tough as he was, Anthony was also a doting father, and I saw that many times.

"Anthony willed himself into the NBA, and very few players can do that. Any NBA team could've had him for a nickel, and he turned out to be the perfect Pat Riley player. I think Pat saw a lot of himself in Anthony, and really they were the same guy. That's why they butted heads as often as they did. They were both blue-collar guys and fighters. Anthony told me, 'Pat Riley was the one who gave me my chance. He's the one who saw something in me when nobody else did.'"

Mason was reunited with Riley later in his career while playing for Miami, where he was named to his one and only All-Star team in 2001.

Mason's career is a story of perseverance.

After playing high school basketball at Springfield Gardens in Queens and college basketball at Tennessee State University, Mason was selected in the third round of the 1988 NBA draft by the Portland Trail Blazers, who waived him shortly thereafter.

Mason then played in Turkey and Venezuela before joining the then-New Jersey Nets and Denver Nuggets for short stints. He also played in the USBL and CBA.

Mason found a permanent home with the Knicks in 1991 after receiving an invite to play on the organization's summer league team.

Riley appreciated Mason's intense, physical approach and kept him on the roster, beginning a run that would end with Mason leaving an indelible mark on the Knicks organization and its fan base.

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Oh man.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Damn. One of my favorite players back in the day. Hope he pulls through.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Oh no! Get well, Mase....
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Sad, but I bet Mason did most of the damage himself.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject:

Always liked him.
It was him Starks and Oakley that gave soul to the Knicks.
He came from the NBA, and evolved his game to all star level at the advent of his career.
The disco bouncer look turned eyes from his excelent ball handling skills (not often he'd take the ball upcourt when Rivers was injured), and his lefty jumper was efficient.

The Mason surname made for brick jokes. He was a 71% FT shooter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject:

According to doctors, even with the best prognosis he will now only be able to shoot freethrows using one hand.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject:

Loved Mason on the Knicks. Hope he makes a full recovery.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
According to doctors, even with the best prognosis he will now only be able to shoot freethrows using one hand.

Hrted Mase. One of Davo's faves. He's gonna be hurt to hear this news. I remember a Mase trade rumor to us in 97-8. He was high post point-PF. That's a rare feat that deserves to be shaved into one's hair. He could've fit "Point PF" in there.

He'll forever be on the most unusual FT form list:

Rick Barry
Keith/Jamaal Wilkes
Mase
Bill Cartwright
Duds

Dantley, who had to rotate the ball 3-4 times to get the seams lined up with his fingertips. Only other guy whose shooting form was approximate to Jamaal's.

Michael Adams, who hopped off the ground on his

Van Exel, Nuggets yrs and beyond, shooting his 2 feet from the line

Mike when he wanted to show off by closing his eyes, and he always hit em

Rodman with his utter disdain for shooting, walkin away from the line during his release, haha

Marty Conlon. I got a clip of Elden and Nick lolling at a extremely un-rhythmic Marty play. He set us whiteboys back, man.

Drexler had a weird overhead release. He shot them fast, sometimes didn't even dribble prior. They would ping in the basket, frozen ropes, but he was an career 800 guy.

Malone had that odd habit of shooting the 1st standing still and then shooting the 2nd while backing away. He was never able to correct that, and he shot the 2nd short a lot of times when he was with us. One of Paul/Stu's consistent gripes.

Extra props to Jack Sikma, who didn't really have a weird shot other than swaying backwards on his pivot foot and then lunging forward on his shots, even at the FT line. That's not it. He lead the league in 1988 in FT%, at 7 feet. Rarely brought up. Rest of the league should've been ashamed. He was .922 that year on 348 attempts. That ain't like Calderon shooting .980 on a measly 150 or so.

Mychal T miss. Only time you'll ever see a miss like this. Only Mychal T could do this.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:

Hrted Mase. One of Davo's faves. He's gonna be hurt to hear this news. I remember a Mase trade rumor to us in 97-8. He was high post point-PF. That's a rare feat that deserves to be shaved into one's hair. He could've fit "Point PF" in there.

He'll forever be on the most unusual FT form list:

Rick Barry
Keith/Jamaal Wilkes
Mase
Bill Cartwright
Duds

Dantley, who had to rotate the ball 3-4 times to get the seams lined up with his fingertips. Only other guy whose shooting form was approximate to Jamaal's.

Michael Adams, who hopped off the ground on his

Van Exel, Nuggets yrs and beyond, shooting his 2 feet from the line

Mike when he wanted to show off by closing his eyes, and he always hit em

Rodman with his utter disdain for shooting, walkin away from the line during his release, haha

Marty Conlon. I got a clip of Elden and Nick lolling at a extremely un-rhythmic Marty play. He set us whiteboys back, man.

Drexler had a weird overhead release. He shot them fast, sometimes didn't even dribble prior. They would ping in the basket, frozen ropes, but he was an career 800 guy.

Extra props to Jack Sikma, who didn't really have a weird shot other than swaying backwards on his pivot foot and then lunging forward on his shots, even at the FT line. That's not it. He lead the league in 1988 in FT%, at 7 feet. Rarely brought up. Rest of the league should've been ashamed. He was .922 that year on 348 attempts. That ain't like Calderon shooting .980 on a measly 150 or so.

That's right, he was a lefty, despite dunking a lot right handed.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/13/report-anthony-masons-condition-has-improved-slightly/

Quote:
Report: Anthony Mason’s condition has “improved slightly”

Things sounded dire when news of Anthony Mason’s condition broke on Wednesday. He had congestive heart failure that led to multiple surgeries — one lasting nine hours — in the last few days and was fighting for his life.

But there is a ray of hope, with the news coming courtesy the New York Times.

Don Cronson, who was Mason’s agent when he played in the N.B.A., expressed slight optimism during the day on Thursday after a member of Mason’s immediate family gave him an update on Mason’s condition. “Right now, it’s day to day, but that’s an improvement from moment to moment,” Cronson said.

He said Mason, 48, who last played in the N.B.A. in the 2002-3 season, had gone to a hospital for a checkup for heart issues and had the heart attack there. Cronson said family members had been told that Mason might need a heart transplant if he survived.

There is no good news here, but if you’re going to have a heart attack the hospital is the best place to do it.

Mason played 13 NBA seasons for a number of NBA teams but is best remembered as a fan-favorite in New York. His toughness, ability to defend multiple positions, and physicality were a big part of the Pat Riley’s New York grinding teams in the Patrick Ewing era. Riley recruited Mason to Miami when Riley went south, and with the Heat Mason was named the Sixth Man of the Year in 1995. He averaged 10.8 points and 8.3 rebounds a game over the course of his career. He made the All-Star Game in 2001.

Our thoughts remain with Mason’s family in this difficult time.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/24/knicks-legend-anthony-mason-improving/#comments

Quote:
Knicks legend Anthony Mason “improving”

Things looked bleak for Anthony Mason when news first broke he had suffered multiple heart attacks. But if you were going to use two words to describe Mason, they would be “tough” and “fighter,” so you know he wasn’t going down easily.

And he hasn’t. While not out of the woods by any stretch Mason’s son Antoine told the New York Post things are looking better.

“I actually spoke to him today,” Antoine Mason told the website on Monday. “He can’t talk yet, but he can hear things and respond by blinking and shaking his head and things like that. When I talked to him, my mom and him, they’re telling me he’s getting better.”

Mason played 13 NBA seasons and bounced around a little, but is best remembered as a fan-favorite of the Knicks in the Patrick Ewing era. He was tough, could defend multiple positions, and on a team known for physicality and grinding the other team down Mason was arguably the most physical. Mason went to South Beach with Pat Riley and while a member of the Heat Mason won the Sixth Man of the Year in 1995. He averaged 10.8 points, and 8.3 rebounds a game over the course of his career.

His former Knicks teammate gave this recent tribute to Mason, reports the Post.

“He was a hard-nosed player. We came to the Knicks around the same time and he fought for everything he got in this league as well as growing up,” Starks said during the 16th Annual Knicks Bowl at Chelsea Piers. “He’s fighting right now for his life, and I believe he’s going to pull through.

“I think I was at a game when I heard about it. It was a shock. He’s still a young man. Unfortunately these things do occur in life. There’s no rhyme or reason why it happens, but it’s something he continues to fight. His family continues to pray. We continue to pray. It’s just tough right now. Mase is the type of guy who’s going to fight every inch of the way. He’s going to pull through this.”
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject:

RIP, Anthony. Very sad.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject:

Ugh, I have to pick better websites to get my news. Read a few unnecessarily rude and baseless comments somewhere else about Mason. I was a big fan of the Knicks during the 90s Lakers malaise. Mason lived up to the title "power forward" and made the East bracket work for their wins. 48 is way too young, needless to say.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

Circa 95, I think he was suspended by Riley and he showed up in the Ricki Lake audience. Cam guy kept panning in on him. Funny sh. Mase kept it rail. No one disliked that chap. RIP, Mase and Jerome. NBA of the 90s has taken loss after loss.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

damn
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

RIP. So damn young.

"I got my hair cut correct like Anthony Mason,
Then I ride the IRT right up to Penn Station"
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject:

Damn, I was so hoping he'd make it. Unique player, a great asset to those Knicks. Of course fans will remember his free throw style, fooling even his own teammates. Loved the haircuts/hairstyles.

Sad day.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

RIP AM

Great competitor, great man & father. He will be missed, sympathy & prayers are extended to the family.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

Damn, and I thought he was improving day to day. As I said before, one of my all-time favorite players and personalities.

RIP Mase
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

I literally shouted at my iPad when I saw this.

RIP Mase
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Circa 95, I think he was suspended by Riley and he showed up in the Ricki Lake audience. Cam guy kept panning in on him. Funny sh. Mase kept it rail. No one disliked that chap. RIP, Mase and Jerome. NBA of the 90s has taken loss after loss.

First some of the players we watched growing up have kids in the NBA. Now a few of them are passing on.

Growing old sucks man.

RIP Mase.

LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

Very sad, was praying he could recover, especially after I heard a few days ago that he was slightly improving..RIP to one of the greats
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Really sad because I thought he would pull through - RIP.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

The good die young for some reason. RIP Mase

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: