Article: Team "Plans To Chase" Goran Dragic With Max Contract - UPDATE: L.A. Still Best Fit? (p.67)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wonder how much of this quote is truth and how much is bitterness after the fact (like Dan Gilbert after Lebron left Cleveland.

Quote:
After hearing fans and media comment that the Suns traded their best player (Dragic), McDonough said Friday, “Our response to that, I think, is that Eric Bledsoe and Markieff Morris are still in Phoenix Suns uniforms.”

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/02/20/suns-brass-fires-back-at-dragic/?ls=iref:nbahpts

I was wondering if Suns management was incompetent, now I am convinced.

Taking shots at a departing player like that is just bizarre to me. Is McDonough aware that Dragic's agent (Bill Duffy) has other clients? Amazing how petulance can trump good business sense.

Yes, agents pretty much run the NBA. He also threw his own fans under the bus.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wonder how much of this quote is truth and how much is bitterness after the fact (like Dan Gilbert after Lebron left Cleveland.

Quote:
After hearing fans and media comment that the Suns traded their best player (Dragic), McDonough said Friday, “Our response to that, I think, is that Eric Bledsoe and Markieff Morris are still in Phoenix Suns uniforms.”

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/02/20/suns-brass-fires-back-at-dragic/?ls=iref:nbahpts

The Suns have a winning record in the tough West and the Lakers are setting records for losses, and you think that Jim Buss and Mitch are doing a good job. Interesting!
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I understand the strategy of holding onto assets and 'tanking' to gain the top pick, but it's a little worrisome as a fan to see the franchise get mired in a culture of losing-becoming bottom feeders. It's been two years now. I know we're allegedly going to get out of it, but next year? Is that a certainty? Again were banking on name recognition but we don't now if any big name FA will want to join a bottom feeding laker team. Even one with potential. All these FA's want to win now. Once you get used to losing its harder than one might think, to get out of it. I seriously doubt Jerry buss would've tolerated this ineptitude this long.

I wonder if passing on dragic was really the right thing to do. Maybe clarkson and the Houston pick would've been worth it. It would've been a step in the right direction. Just don't want to see the lakers get used to losing.
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Quote:

Taking shots at a departing player like that is just bizarre to me. Is McDonough aware that Dragic's agent (Bill Duffy) has other clients? Amazing how petulance can trump good business sense.

Yes, agents pretty much run the NBA. He also threw his own fans under the bus.

bitter or not... the statement has some merit in it though... it is debatable if Goran was their best player... they gave Bledsoe a max for a reason because he is a two way player... Statistically Goran had a fantastic last season, but in nowadays, if you put a pg in a fast pace pnr situation, a lot of them can produce, DJ augustine, IT, Darren Collison, Lin... if we looked at Goran's 2012-13 season, it was mediocre... and you can not say Goran deserves a better contract than Monta Ellis...it is really hard to gauge the value of a guard these days...
IMHO, Markieff's value is better than Goran and Bledsoe... it would be interesting to see how Goran performs under Spoelstra who is not a creative on offense...
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
Miami is a beautiful city. At night it looks amazing.

Only thing I hate is the crazy changes in weather and the crazy humidity, otherwise yes it is hell of a beautiful city, and some amazing beaches in a lot of ways.
Will2Win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
I understand the strategy of holding onto assets and 'tanking' to gain the top pick, but it's a little worrisome as a fan to see the franchise get mired in a culture of losing-becoming bottom feeders. It's been two years now. I know we're allegedly going to get out of it, but next year? Is that a certainty? Again were banking on name recognition but we don't now if any big name FA will want to join a bottom feeding laker team. Even one with potential. All these FA's want to win now. Once you get used to losing its harder than one might think, to get out of it. I seriously doubt Jerry buss would've tolerated this ineptitude this long.

I wonder if passing on dragic was really the right thing to do. Maybe clarkson and the Houston pick would've been worth it. It would've been a step in the right direction. Just don't want to see the lakers get used to losing.

I don't like it as much as the next true Laker's Fan, but I have to even admit at this point. That with the way the NBA has changed and the new CBA, they have made the past way of building very difficult. Also the failed experiment of Kobe, Dwight, Pau, and Nash have left a big hole in us from the fall out. We will rebuild, but unfortunately we must do it like the other teams, and hope that using the draft and our brand name that it will help spring us out of the hole as fast as possible. Other wise as you say, if we get too deep and get use to losing it will just be a bad sign and even eventually be damaging to the brand name.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Will2Win wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

I don't like it as much as the next true Laker's Fan, but I have to even admit at this point. That with the way the NBA has changed and the new CBA, they have made the past way of building very difficult. Also the failed experiment of Kobe, Dwight, Pau, and Nash have left a big hole in us from the fall out. We will rebuild, but unfortunately we must do it like the other teams, and hope that using the draft and our brand name that it will help spring us out of the hole as fast as possible. Other wise as you say, if we get too deep and get use to losing it will just be a bad sign and even eventually be damaging to the brand name.

You hit on a good point. We gambled and lost big time on Dwight, Pau, Nash. That's what helped plunge us into this position. Otherwise, we would be like the spurs. Who are staying relevant all these years, despite the CBA, and getting the most out of they're star players. You could say they've been more prudent with their moves than us.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Quote:

The Suns have a winning record in the tough West and the Lakers are setting records for losses, and you think that Jim Buss and Mitch are doing a good job. Interesting!

Interesting that you can't read what someone wrote and understand it. Show me where I said that Jim and Mitch were doing a good job in my post. Of course I didn't, as usual you just made crap up to take the opportunity to rag on the FO. Mr. One Trick Pony, you should change your username. And take a reading comprehension course.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

We didn't pass on Dragic, we decided that Randle and our potential top 5 pick was more valuable.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

We didn't pass on Dragic, we decided that Randle and our potential top 5 pick was more valuable.

I know that, but looks like the Lakers didn't want to deal Clarkson either.

https://www.fantasysp.com/player/nba/Jordan_Clarkson/3871021/report-lakers-unwilling-to-part-with-guard-jordan-clarkson
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Dragic looks like a completely different played in Miami slow pace system. Wade ran point forward a lot that game and Dragic off the ball. He's better suited for a high uptempo offense.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Dragic looks like a completely different played in Miami slow pace system. Wade ran point forward a lot that game and Dragic off the ball. He's better suited for a high uptempo offense.

or with a coach so inept that he'll just give him the ball the way he did Kyrie, CP3, and Kidd.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

https://www.fantasysp.com/player/nba/Jordan_Clarkson/3871021/report-lakers-unwilling-to-part-with-guard-jordan-clarkson

well, we have no idea what idea deal was that involved Clarkson, and I'd bet none of them were worthwhile.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

well, it was his first game there, lets see how he is doing in a few weeks. But if its going to be like it was today...thats not good for the heat.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

or with a coach so inept that he'll just give him the ball the way he did Kyrie, CP3, and Kidd.
The Heat run some of the same things we run, the system is too slow paced for him.
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject:

this is Dragic's first game with the heats, he probably needs a little time to figure things out, but eventually he would not be as productive as in Suns under Hornacek... Hornacek designed multiple PnRs to free Dragic and let him operate the whole offense last season... dragic would not get that in the heats or in the lakers or the Knicks... he is still a fundamentally sound, good player, may play decently in these three teams, but he would be nowhere close to the production he got in Suns...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

I am fine with that. I like Dragic and wouldn't mind having him, but he is hardly the player I would lose sleep over if we don't get him.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Quote:

Interesting that you can't read what someone wrote and understand it. Show me where I said that Jim and Mitch were doing a good job in my post. Of course I didn't, as usual you just made crap up to take the opportunity to rag on the FO. Mr. One Trick Pony, you should change your username. And take a reading comprehension course.

Oh please stop with where did I say Mitch and Jim are doing a good job. We all know you defend the Lakers FO constantly. A front office that is setting records for losses. And by the way, the most important Laker issues is the Lakers FO, who else to blame for this team, and last years team?

I refrain form being insulting, however, I know when you take the sport to seriously because you use insulting remarks. Have some fun, loosen up and enjoy the toy department, sports.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

They went hard for Melo and Lebron, and didn't want to overpay for Dragic. They're trying, they're just being measured about it.

Rebuilds don't happen overnight.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Let dragic run with Towns/Randle.

Need a athletic 3 &. D SF
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Quote:

Oh please stop with where did I say Mitch and Jim are doing a good job. We all know you defend the Lakers FO constantly. A front office that is setting records for losses. And by the way, the most important Laker issues is the Lakers FO, who else to blame for this team, and last years team?

I refrain form being insulting, however, I know when you take the sport to seriously because you use insulting remarks. Have some fun, loosen up and enjoy the toy department, sports.

Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Let dragic run with Towns/Randle.

Need a athletic 3 &. D SF

To me that's a Band-Aid. It will be some time before Randle and Towns are true difference makers, by then Dragic will be 31-32 years old, I'm good. The fastest track is going guard oriented in this draft since is it much easier for super-talented guards to equate to NBA level play. Guards come in and make a difference right away, bigs take a couple years traditionally, even Anthony Davis, which I think he is much better than Towns. Davis is one of the fastest bigs to translate his game imo and like I said, I think he will always be better than Towns. IMO, they need a younger floor general to grow with these bigs and create some long-term chemistry.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

We have time to wait.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We have time to wait.

After back2back worst seasons in franchise history, TV ratings (which are now revenue) in the toilet, and Jim's declaration that the team will be a contender shortly, I'm not sure they do. The organization has never rebuilt by hoarding draft picks. It's been opportunistic trades and free agency. If they "wait" IMO it's only because other options didn't materialize and there was nothing else they could do.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We have time to wait.

After back2back worst seasons in franchise history, TV ratings (which are now revenue) in the toilet, and Jim's declaration that the team will be a contender shortly, I'm not sure they do. The organization has never rebuilt by hoarding draft picks. It's been opportunistic trades and free agency. If they "wait" IMO it's only because other options didn't materialize and there was nothing else they could do.

For better or worse I agree. They will want to be relevant next year though I'm not sure we make the playoffs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 71 of 73
Jump to: