Article: Team "Plans To Chase" Goran Dragic With Max Contract - UPDATE: L.A. Still Best Fit? (p.67)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, I doubt this team makes the playoffs next year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

Without knowing who will be on the team?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Not much Logic in LakerLogic
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I understand your stance, but I too agree it's going to be difficult making the playoffs. You have 25m in cap space tied up with Kobe, who is unlikely to play as a top 25 basketball player next year. You have a 20 y.o. Randle making his debut, and perhaps a top 5 pick who will also probably be under the drinking age. We may get one max level free agent, maybe divide that up to get a few role players instead.

That isn't good enough most likely to make the playoffs in the West next year.
iggypop123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Gotta treat Kobe like we did Nash this season, assume he gives you nothing. With Kobe's 25 mil theres nowhere to go to bump you to playoff stats. Then theres the Scott factor . We will always underachiever with him here.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We have time to wait.

After back2back worst seasons in franchise history, TV ratings (which are now revenue) in the toilet, and Jim's declaration that the team will be a contender shortly, I'm not sure they do. The organization has never rebuilt by hoarding draft picks. It's been opportunistic trades and free agency. If they "wait" IMO it's only because other options didn't materialize and there was nothing else they could do.

For better or worse I agree. They will want to be relevant next year though I'm not sure we make the playoffs.

I'm still optimistic.
I just keep praying for losses. We are only 1 game ahead of both Philly and the TWolves right now. The higher the pick the better.

I think we have a good opportunity to really transform the roster this off season. Our high pick should yield another young stud with potential to be great to join Randle (Mudiay/Russell/Towns). I think the Rockets pick and our 2nd rounder could very well yield really solid role players (I see good talent in this draft in the late first/early 2nd).

Even though the FA pool has dwindled a bit, I still like our chances at a major FA signing (hopefully DJ or Monroe, not Love or Rondo).

I am also hopeful we may be able to add a more reasonably priced FA who fits well (like Demarre Carrol), and keep Ed Davis, who has been a really pleasant surprise this year.

I think something like this is possible:

PG- Russell or Mudiay/Clarkson
SG- Kobe/ NYoung
SF- Carroll/Hollis Jefferson
PF- Davis/Randle
C- Monroe/Robert Upshaw or another rim protector

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on Robert Upshaw. Troubled, but talented. I could see him being on the board for us, would you take a chance on him?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We have time to wait.

After back2back worst seasons in franchise history, TV ratings (which are now revenue) in the toilet, and Jim's declaration that the team will be a contender shortly, I'm not sure they do. The organization has never rebuilt by hoarding draft picks. It's been opportunistic trades and free agency. If they "wait" IMO it's only because other options didn't materialize and there was nothing else they could do.

For better or worse I agree. They will want to be relevant next year though I'm not sure we make the playoffs.

I'm still optimistic.
I just keep praying for losses. We are only 1 game ahead of both Philly and the TWolves right now. The higher the pick the better.

I think we have a good opportunity to really transform the roster this off season. Our high pick should yield another young stud with potential to be great to join Randle (Mudiay/Russell/Towns). I think the Rockets pick and our 2nd rounder could very well yield really solid role players (I see good talent in this draft in the late first/early 2nd).

Even though the FA pool has dwindled a bit, I still like our chances at a major FA signing (hopefully DJ or Monroe, not Love or Rondo).

I am also hopeful we may be able to add a more reasonably priced FA who fits well (like Demarre Carrol), and keep Ed Davis, who has been a really pleasant surprise this year.

I think something like this is possible:

PG- Russell or Mudiay/Clarkson
SG- Kobe/ NYoung
SF- Carroll/Hollis Jefferson
PF- Davis/Randle
C- Monroe/Robert Upshaw or another rim protector

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on Robert Upshaw. Troubled, but talented. I could see him being on the board for us, would you take a chance on him?

Upshaw is exactly the type of guy Mitch will gamble on in round two. Mitch has a pretty sharp strategy of not going for the guys with measurables that you hope you can teach the game to in the second round. He doesn't swing for the unlikely home run. He tends to find a guy with a definable skill set that has slipped for a reason. Sacre because he doesn't have starting upside, Kelly because of the injury, Clarkson because he underwhelmed while dealing with a transfer, his dad dying, and converting to pg simultaneously. Upshaw fits as a guy who has clear, abundant first round talent with a substance and/or character issue. On a nonguaranteed rookie minimum deal with arenas rights in the case he makes it, that's a very high reward low risk shot.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject:

Miami can only offer Dragic 4 years since they already gave Bosh their 5 year deal right? So the only advantage the Bird rights give them are slightly higher raises each year. Without doing the math, thats probably $3-$4M more than the Lakers can offer him.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

OKC is in the 8th spot this year. It'll be extremely difficult to put together a team by next season that can finish in the top 8 in the West. Not impossible, but definitely unlikely.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

OKC is in the 8th spot this year. It'll be extremely difficult to put together a team by next season that can finish in the top 8 in the West. Not impossible, but definitely unlikely.

West is tough, no doubt about that. OKC is a two man team and Durant has missed 52 percent of their games, Russell has missed 25 percent of their games and their chemistry has been off. Not knowing who we will have on our team and not knowing how many of those playoff times may potentially be weakened by losing players due to free agency makes it hard to guess.

Western Conference Playoff bound players this year that are free agents next year:
Lamarcus Aldridge (Portland)
Marc Gasol (Memphis)
Kawhi Leonard (Spurs)
DeAndre Jordan (Clippers)
Tim Duncan (Spurs)
Rajon Rondo (Mavs)
Monta Ellis (Mavs)
Draymond Green (Warriors)
Jeff Green (Grizzlies)
Tyson Chandler (Mavs)
Jamal Crawford (Clippers)
Josh Smith (Rockets)
Arron Affalo (Blazers)
Wesley Matthews (Blazers)
Robin Lopez (Blazers)
Enes Kanter (Thunder)
Manu Ginobili (Spurs)
Danny Green (Spurs)
Patrick Beverly (Rockets)

Can't wait to see what our opening day roster will be.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Miami can only offer Dragic 4 years since they already gave Bosh their 5 year deal right? So the only advantage the Bird rights give them are slightly higher raises each year. Without doing the math, thats probably $3-$4M more than the Lakers can offer him.

That and Florida no state taxes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

Troublesome626 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

And Miami can offer him a 5 year deal, they have his bird rights
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Damn, I forgot about the no State Tax thing....why not stay?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

The only reason I can think of is if Bosh can't come back and play next year. But even then it's tough to imagine Dragic leaving all that guaranteed money and his brother behind
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

The only reason I can think of is if Bosh can't come back and play next year. But even then it's tough to imagine Dragic leaving all that guaranteed money and his brother behind

Yeah, I thought he was staying the moment he was traded. He'll explore his options but ultimately decide to take the money and stay in Miami, IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Or he thinks Wade/Bosh will decline dramatically, and wants to join an up and coming Lakers team. But that's about it. Chances are he stays on the Heat.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

They can offer him 5 years with Bird Rights.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Darn. I thought teams could only designate one player to receive a 5 year deal
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Yes.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

That only applies to rookie extensions (essentially giving them a six year deal including the last of their rookie contract), not to bird free agents, who can be signed to the extra year and the larger raises.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Until he gets out of the game, never underestimate Pat Riley.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Its not impossible to become a lotto team to middle of the pack even in the loaded west. All its takes is for 1 star player and decent role players and or a solid #2 option.

Rondo
Kobe(if able to play 60 games)
Harris
Randle
Lopez/Towns

The 2007 Lakers says hi... went from a 8/7th seeded team of Kobe and scrubs to 1st in the west and finals. I know Pau happened but that wasnt until after the ASB.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Some people used the same logic last year and thought we might get in this year. We won't be signing any difference makers this summer. The T-Wolves will be better than us next year. Think about that for a minute.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
Its not impossible to become a lotto team to middle of the pack even in the loaded west. All its takes is for 1 star player and decent role players and or a solid #2 option.

Rondo
Harris
Randle
Lopez/Towns

The 2007 Lakers says hi... went from a 8/7th seeded team of Kobe and scrubs to 1st in the west and finals. I know Pau happened but that wasnt until after the ASB.

A lot of things went right for them though.
They signed Trevor Ariza and Derek Fisher over the offseason at the time.
Andrew Bynum emerged as a force to reckon with before he went down with an injury
They got rid of Smush Parker.
Sasha Vujacic had his best shooting season and 3 point shooting of his career.
And last of all, Kobe going postal got the franchise and everyone on the roster on their toes and played their best basketball at the start of the season.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

Rondo
Harris
Randle
Lopez/Towns

What are the salary numbers that you are using for Rondo, Harris and Lopez?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 72 of 73
Jump to: