Article: Team "Plans To Chase" Goran Dragic With Max Contract - UPDATE: L.A. Still Best Fit? (p.67)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Unfortunately, I doubt this team makes the playoffs next year.

Without knowing who will be on the team?

Right now the it's hard to envision quality FA's joining this train wreck, the safe beat would be to say that the Lakers don't make the playoffs. If we do make the playoffs', that would be a pleasant surprise but a very very long shot at best...

Last edited by deal on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Not much Logic in LakerLogic

here's a thought experiment for you -

imagine the lakers' 20 mil of cap space gets them KEVIN DURANT next offseason.

do they make the playoffs in the west ?

get the picture ?...

now imagine that picture with the player/s we'll actually be ABLE to get...
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Miami can only offer Dragic 4 years since they already gave Bosh their 5 year deal right? So the only advantage the Bird rights give them are slightly higher raises each year. Without doing the math, thats probably $3-$4M more than the Lakers can offer him.

that's not how this works.

miami can offer 5 years to as many players as it wants using bird rights.

they can only offer one 5 year deal to a player they drafted.

i'm sure they'll go 5 years for dragic to help get the yearly amount down a little.

the lakers won't pay the type of money that would make dragic turn that down, and they shouldn't.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We have time to wait.

After back2back worst seasons in franchise history, TV ratings (which are now revenue) in the toilet, and Jim's declaration that the team will be a contender shortly, I'm not sure they do. The organization has never rebuilt by hoarding draft picks. It's been opportunistic trades and free agency. If they "wait" IMO it's only because other options didn't materialize and there was nothing else they could do.

Different era in NBA, a lot more difficult to build that way. Almost have to build through timely FA and heavy draft. No longer can a team sustain building the old Laker way.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
Its not impossible to become a lotto team to middle of the pack even in the loaded west. All its takes is for 1 star player and decent role players and or a solid #2 option.

Rondo
Kobe(if able to play 60 games)
Harris
Randle
Lopez/Towns

The 2007 Lakers says hi... went from a 8/7th seeded team of Kobe and scrubs to 1st in the west and finals. I know Pau happened but that wasnt until after the ASB.

Too bad this team isn't even possible under the salary cap. Again, if you draft Towns, we'll have around 22-23m in total cap space. Please do tell me how you can afford Rondo, Harris, and Lopez for 22-23m. You may be lucky to get 1 of them, and unless Rondo is playing for 7-8m, not possible as a 2nd player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Even if we do well (get a top 3 pick, pick up an impact free agent or two, Randle comes back healthy), I don't see this team as a playoff squad. Too tough in the West. I think they would do much better wins-wise, but again that's all too dependent on the health of Kobe, Randle, etc.

This team is talent poor, and we hopefully will remedy that this summer. But to make the playoffs in the West is a tall order. I see them being in the mix in 2016, not 2015. We're 1 year behind due to Randle's injury, and the decision to have a placeholder team this year.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Miami can only offer Dragic 4 years since they already gave Bosh their 5 year deal right? So the only advantage the Bird rights give them are slightly higher raises each year. Without doing the math, thats probably $3-$4M more than the Lakers can offer him.

that's not how this works.

miami can offer 5 years to as many players as it wants using bird rights.

they can only offer one 5 year deal to a player they drafted.

i'm sure they'll go 5 years for dragic to help get the yearly amount down a little.

the lakers won't pay the type of money that would make dragic turn that down, and they shouldn't.

Thanks man. I think I got it now. I was remembering the discussion about whether MN would decide to give their 5 year deal to Rubio or KLove.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Right now the it's hard to envision quality FA's joining this train wreck, the safe beat would be to say that the Lakers don't make the playoffs. If we do make the playoffs', that would be a pleasant surprise but a very very long shot at best...

I think you meant "safe bet". As for the Lakers making the playoffs next season, let's just wait until the 2015 draft occurs. That should help provide a transparent indication of which direction the front office will veer regarding personnel choices for next season.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Realistically we are 3-4 years from competing. Their is a A LOT of change that needs to continue to happen.

We will not compete as long as Kobe Bryant is on this roster at currently salary. Nothing to do with him as a person / player, it is all about how much money we are paying for a player who is not playing.

We can not build the old way. The way the Lakers used to build team is just not easy to do in this era. We need to continue to stock pile draft picks and making wise FA decisions. The problem is a lot of Lakers fan are so unrealistic in their beliefs of what can and should be done.

We continue to say our players suck, and we need to get rid of them. Yet these same people want us to trade our trash players for high draft picks or players that are unrealistic. Why would anyone want to do these trades, when we don't even want these players. Why would they trade for them when they can sign them for free in off season. It makes no sense to me.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I think you meant "safe bet". As for the Lakers making the playoffs next season, let's just wait until the 2015 draft occurs. That should help provide a transparent indication of which direction the front office will veer regarding personnel choices for next season.

Don't count on Drafted kids making much of a difference in their first year, they could begin to help but they'll need a couple of years.

And newcomers need to gel with a team, we don't have.

All and all, a very very long shot....

Last edited by deal on Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Boldarblood wrote:
Realistically we are 3-4 years from competing. Their is a A LOT of change that needs to continue to happen.

We will not compete as long as Kobe Bryant is on this roster at currently salary. Nothing to do with him as a person / player, it is all about how much money we are paying for a player who is not playing.

We can not build the old way. The way the Lakers used to build team is just not easy to do in this era. We need to continue to stock pile draft picks and making wise FA decisions. The problem is a lot of Lakers fan are so unrealistic in their beliefs of what can and should be done.

We continue to say our players suck, and we need to get rid of them. Yet these same people want us to trade our trash players for high draft picks or players that are unrealistic. Why would anyone want to do these trades, when we don't even want these players. Why would they trade for them when they can sign them for free in off season. It makes no sense to me.

Focus on Kobe is the easy way out...
He isn't the source of our problems.
There is a lot of things that are wrong with the Lakers right now.
1) Defense (or lack of it)
2) Culture (after Phil left, he took the winning culture away with him), this needs to be re-established. Celebrating like lunatics after 1 win when you are 14-41 is unacceptable.
3) Need to get more established free agents in their prime.
4) Analytics. Its not the solution to solve all our problems, but I believe the Lakers need to improve in this department.
5) NBA draft. We need to get a first round draft pick this year to establish our young core for the future.
6) A skilled 7 footer. We are undersized right now. Our tweeners get abused and in foul trouble when they face teams that are bigger. Look to the above for a potential solution.
7) Player development. Our rookies should be the primary concern this year. They need to get their feet wet and in game situations if this year is going to be a loss anyways.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

If Dragic is our best FA signee and we draft a quality top 3 pick, and Kobe stays healthy. I can see a jump. But not more than 20 wins. So about a ceiling of 44 wins is my guess. To get back in the playoffs in the West we need Kobe healthy next year, and 2 major major pieces added (not rookies) and probably a way better coach than Scott. We're talking about needing to jump nearly 27-30 wins off what we likely finish thus year. West is loaded, needed 46-48 wins to make it. New Orleans is so talented yet will likely miss out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lorenzomax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Dragic won't get you 20 more wins if you are still lack of a legit big on the DEFENSIVE end. Only 10 more. Just 10 more.
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject:

Anyone think the Bulls will blow it up this off-season with the latest injury to Rose? I mean he's the piece they're always banking on but it seems like you gotta give up onthat plan sooner rather than later. Maybe they let Tom T. Go finally. We better get him if they do.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:

shortodom wrote:
Anyone think the Bulls will blow it up this off-season with the latest injury to Rose? I mean he's the piece they're always banking on but it seems like you gotta give up onthat plan sooner rather than later. Maybe they let Tom T. Go finally. We better get him if they do.

I don't think the Lakers will fire Byron Scott after just one season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73
Page 73 of 73
Jump to: