Alabama police officer charged with assaulting Indian man
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Alabama police officer charged with assaulting Indian man

My dad sent this to me and we were talking about this over the phone he is so livid about this... rightfully so its shameful.

Although I admit I don't get how his son and DIL would let him walk alone in Alabama of all places either :/

http://news.yahoo.com/alabama-police-officer-charged-assaulting-indian-man-062639725.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=ma

Quote:
Indian man slammed down after caller reported 'black guy'

MADISON, Alabama (AP) — A grandfather from India who was slammed to the ground by a police officer in an Alabama suburb had been singled out by police after a caller said a "skinny black guy" who was walking in the neighborhood and peering into garages, recordings show.

The man, Sureshbhai Patel, 57, doesn't speak English and was slammed to the ground face-first by an officer when he didn't respond to commands. But he had committed no crime, the police chief said.

Officer Eric Parker was arrested and is being fired. He has not commented publicly, and court records were not available Friday to show whether he has a lawyer.

Patel filed a lawsuit Thursday over the Feb. 6 incident, where he was visiting his son's family. His injuries include partial paralysis but he hopes for a full recovery, according to the lawsuit and Patel's lawyer. The lawsuit says Patel's civil rights were violated. It seeks an unspecified amount of money.

The Indian government is taking the incident seriously and is "extremely disturbed" by the treatment of Patel, a spokesman said Friday.

"This is a matter of concern for us, and India and the U.S. as open pluralist societies need to address these issues and find ways in a mature manner so that these are aberrations and are not the norm," said Syed Akbaruddin, India's foreign ministry spokesman.

Embassy of India spokesman Sridharan Madhusudhanan said in an emailed statement that the office has been in touch with Patel's family, the doctors who are caring for him and the U.S. Embassy in Delhi.

"Our understanding of the situation is that while there has been some progress, the medical condition of Mr. Sureshbhai Patel is still a matter of concern," Madhusudhanan said.

The incident began when a man called police complaining that an unfamiliar man was wandering about his neighborhood and peering toward garages. He said the man had been seen wandering the day before as well.

Police arrived in patrol cars within minutes and found Patel walking in his son's neighborhood a suburb of about 46,000 people near high-tech businesses, the University of Alabama-Huntsville, and NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center.

Video shot from inside one of the cruisers shows two officers walking toward the man on the sidewalk and attempting to talk to him.

"What's going on, sir?" asks one of the officers. "You're what? India?"

Police pepper the man with questions about what he is doing and where he is going, but answers are inaudible and someone on the recording is heard saying, "no English." Patel appears to try to walk away and one of the officers warns: "Do not jerk away from me again."

One of the officers, neither of whom is identified, restrains Patel by pulling his arms behind his back and then slams him face-first into the ground less than 90 seconds after the confrontation began.

Madison Police Chief Larry Muncey said the officer's actions weren't justified.

As word of Patel's treatment and injuries spread, a site established on gofundme.com to help cover medical and other expenses generated more than $96,000 in donations by Friday evening. Sherrod said Patel has no insurance.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Fired and arrested. Good start. (bleep) Bubbas.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

This is the photo used for the Wiki entry on Madison, Alabama.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Main_Street_Madison_Alabama_May_2011_01.jpg

Woooo, that's some Podunk type town.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I have a friend who went to the University of Alabama. He said it's actually fairly diverse for Alabama. This is so bad. First, the resident called 911 because there was a non-white person walking on the sidewalk that he/she didn't recognize. Second, the officer upon seeing an old Indian man felt the need to do what he did. I'm half-Indian myself. Believe me, we must be the least physically imposing group of people on the planet. I know I had the crap beat out of me many times growing up.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject:

What dumb arses.

At the end of the vid, when the guy can't stand up the officers look like they're confused that slamming and old man into the ground face first might have caused some damage. You could tell that they knew they effed up.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

Too bad they can't out the idiot caller that started the whole mess. Seriously, toboggan hat? That's some fine book-learnin' down there. The cops sure showed up really fast upon hearing the words black guy.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

Too all those Indians who think model minority status gives us some type of out...pay attention.

To the cops, or some "concerned" citizens we might as well be black.

I know I've been pulled over for DWB (B for Brown).
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:

I think of that Glengarry rant by Pacino on the name Patel every time I see it. PAH-TEEEELLL?! OCK YOU!... SIGN THA DEAL! He wouldn't sign...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Too all those Indians who think model minority status gives us some type of out...pay attention.

To the cops, or some "concerned" citizens we might as well be black.

I know I've been pulled over for DWB (B for Brown).

Agreed and I too was pulled over for the same reason he let me go though (probably because I was polite about it.)
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject:

I'm Indian and I'm usually pro-Cop in these situations. The man had his hands in his pocket and was pulling away from the cop. Cops have lost their lives in situations that started just like that. But once he had the man's hands behind his back, with little resistance, I don't really understand the need to slam him to the ground face first. Cuff him, pat him down and then get your answers.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

You're Indian and are procop in this situation?? How many senior citizen violent Indian people do you know....

Sad his skin is brown....wouldn't be surprised if this situation gets handled differently under diff circumstances....and no I don't mean if he didn't have his hands in his pockets...maybe that's how they'll welcome non English speaking people to murica....sounds about right

Then again I'm Indian and my dad and I got racial slurs walking in Irvine, friends and I in fullerton, etc.

Indian in Alabama aw helll no..
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject:

If you are a person of color, don't wear hoodies or walk with your hands in your pockets in certain areas.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:
You're Indian and are procop in this situation?? How many senior citizen violent Indian people do you know....

Sad his skin is brown....wouldn't be surprised if this situation gets handled differently under diff circumstances....and no I don't mean if he didn't have his hands in his pockets...maybe that's how they'll welcome non English speaking people to murica....sounds about right

Then again I'm Indian and my dad and I got racial slurs walking in Irvine, friends and I in fullerton, etc.

Indian in Alabama aw helll no

I think this was Huntsville where there are a lot of engineers for decades I think, businesses, etc. I saw the police car videos, looks like a normal OC type suburban row of houses, maybe a little less green. Probably not undiverse area. Speculating, maybe not just one Indian house in a sea of white houseowners.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I'm Indian and I'm usually pro-Cop in these situations. The man had his hands in his pocket and was pulling away from the cop. Cops have lost their lives in situations that started just like that. But once he had the man's hands behind his back, with little resistance, I don't really understand the need to slam him to the ground face first. Cuff him, pat him down and then get your answers.

The only reason these clown cops even showed up, is because of some (bleep) redneck (bleep) who is still living in a 50's mindset.

at the clown who was afraid to leave his wife to go to work because of an elderly "black-looking" male walking in a neighborhood. Stupid clowns.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I would've hit the old guy with a figure four leg lock afterwards just to make sure.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I would've hit the old guy with a figure four leg lock afterwards just to make sure.

Way too much work. Just get him in a chinch going to plum and a couple of knees later, he's KTFO with partial paralysis.....Oh wait.....Man, just some of the most (bleep) people go into Law enforcement.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Can you picture the police in Iran restraining suspects with the camel clutch?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:

Can you picture the police in Iran restraining suspects with the camel clutch?

Depends on how much jockeying for position they'd have to do, but yes, I can picture it happening.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

I understand your reasoning for being pro-cop in such situations. I also see you're not pro-cop in this one.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:

wow, a cop was held accountable for once.

oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

looks like the fake/ ghost towns that get destroyed in movies
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject:

good the cop was held accountable.... I would hate to see anyone go through that doesn't matter the race
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

Charges dropped

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/assault-charges-dropped-alabama-cop-who-partially-paralyzed-indian-grandfather-n573806

Because we can't have old Indian men just walking our streets.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

Good ol' southern justice.

Unfortunately, it's also present in the east, west and north.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Charges dropped

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/assault-charges-dropped-alabama-cop-who-partially-paralyzed-indian-grandfather-n573806

Because we can't have old Indian men just walking our streets.

Quote:
Following a motion filed Thursday by Alabama's attorney general,

^^when i first started reading this I saw "Alabamas Grand Wizard" in my mind..

LOOK AT THIS (bleep)

Quote:
Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange's request came after two federal juries failed to reach verdicts in the civil rights case against Eric Parker, the officer accused of taking down 58-year-old Sureshbhai Patel, who was left seriously injured.

Two packs of useless Americans couldn't pin a charge on a cop... lol

ACCUSED.. when will VIDEO EVIDENCE BE ENOUGH.. he isn't accused.. we all saw it..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: