Who would you want to win if San Antonio and Cleveland reach the finals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Definitely San Antonio. There are enough good young players around now to allow the sportswriters to loosen their grip on Lebron's cashews, but if he were to win another ring right away in Cleveland, then they'd predictably run a full court press on promoting his godliness for the next half decade - and that would be simply
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Spurs ... not so enjoyable to think about this scenario in February, but a continuation of Kawhi's stepping-it-up in the Finals would be the best outcome, I guess. Nobody consistently plays LeBron better right now, IMO ... has anyone EVER played him better?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Spurs. I respect them.

This.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

Everyone is saying San Antonio and you respect them. I highly doubt the feeling is mutual from the other side
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Everyone is saying San Antonio and you respect them. I highly doubt the feeling is mutual from the other side

Who cares what their fan base thinks? Cleveland is the team with that jabroni as their star and basketball reasons as an owner.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

An old friend from college is a huge Spurs fan and he's pretty respectful. Duncan, Pop and most of the org conducts themselves well. You must have some d-bag acquaintances that made you hate them so much. Hell, there are Laker fans out there that are just as obnoxious as fans of these other teams.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Who cares what their fan base thinks? Cleveland is the team with that jabroni as their star and basketball reasons as an owner.

Agreed. Gilbert was one of the major players in the CP3 fiasco and I'm frankly tired of the media treating Lebron like a god every time he accomplishes something.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

San Antonio and it's not even close. The Lebron worship for saving poor Cleveland would be too much..
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
This is kinda like the Spurs vs Heat question of previous years.

No that was easy. I did not like any part of the Heat. But I do like parts of Cleveland - like Coach Blatt, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love...

Let's hope that the Spurs don't get to the final. And Houston as well.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

An old friend from college is a huge Spurs fan and he's pretty respectful. Duncan, Pop and most of the org conducts themselves well. You must have some d-bag acquaintances that made you hate them so much. Hell, there are Laker fans out there that are just as obnoxious as fans of these other teams.

I don't... I don't mind the spurs winning... but not to surpass Kobe and the Lakers in ring count of the last 15 years.... and I don't want Duncan to get his 6th ring.. it will make Kobe legacy in they eyes of the media less significant than Duncan

As for Cleveland I despise Dan Gilbert more than San Antonio.. I hope Lebron and Kevin Love leave that team after this season... but if they make it to the finals? than I doubt any of them will be leaving
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

Are you in the practice of letting your thoughts get dictated by what others may or may not think, because I'm sure not.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

I don't... I don't mind the spurs winning... but not to surpass Kobe and the Lakers in ring count of the last 15 years.... and I don't want Duncan to get his 6th ring.. it will make Kobe legacy in they eyes of the media less significant than Duncan

As for Cleveland I despise Dan Gilbert more than San Antonio.. I hope Lebron and Kevin Love leave that team after this season... but if they make it to the finals? than I doubt any of them will be leaving

I don't know, man. I see the media drool far more for Lebron (who you seem to really like) than they ever did for Duncan. After Lebron's first ring, many in the media were already anointing him as possibly greater than Jordan. Watch what happens if he wins his third.

At least we all agree about that idiot Dan Gilbert though lol.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

I don't know, man. I see the media drool far more for Lebron (who you seem to really like) than they ever did for Duncan. After Lebron's first ring, many in the media were already anointing him as possibly greater than Jordan. Watch what happens if he wins his third.

[Most parts of] the rest of the universe outside our bubble don't view rings the way some of us seem to ... uttering 5 > 2 or 6 > 5 is a hollow argument to most of them (and at least some of us) ... they just don't share the view that ring count settles a debate, unless the individual performance metrics are essentially comparable. And as I've indicated elsewhere here, 7 essentially poor - abysmal seasons in a 19 year career tarnishes to some degree the collective high point of 7 great seasons and 5 very good ones.

While I think the NBA and its partners like ESPN obviously benefit economically from the hyperbolic ratcheting-up of rhetoric in marketing its superstars as "the next ..." or "the best since ..." or "the best ever ...", LeBron arrived at that first title with three R/S MVPs already under his belt and individual performance metrics comparable to pretty much only MJ in the era of modern basketball ... was it so far-fetched to you that their news (read: marketing with some modest reporting of facts) was going to reach on these kinds of comparisons? We have been lodged in the ESPN zone for a long time now: highlights only, please!

As I see it, the non-zealot (i.e., majority) view is that an individual's legacy (incl. prospective inclusion in the preposterous GOAT spittlefest that we find ourselves in far too often) is some combination of individual accomplishments and team accomplishments, with the skew toward the individual ones ... for pathological reasons (I guess), we have an urge to downplay the component that is least favorable to our confirmation bias tendencies ...

Bottom line: those who cry too much bias in favor of LeBron on ESPN or traditional sports media are matched at least 1:1 by those who cry out the very same thing about Kobe ... perspective is a tricky matter.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I think everybody has forgotten Pop's whining when we gasol. He would have vetoed it if he had the chance. He's no saint
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Being from Ohio, I don't think the majority of the Cavs' fanbase deserve a championship. I see it firsthand and I have a very strong opinion on them. I can't tell you how many of their fans decided to whore their fanhood for LBJ. Burning jerseys, crying as they gathered behind Gilbert hatefully declaring they'd build around Kyrie and wouldn't welcome LBJ back in the state. Man up and say you were childish, instead of spinning it as "WE forgive James". LOL if anything it should be the other way around. If the Cavs players or the fans that weren't whores for a ring see a championship then good for them seriously. If Gilbert or any of those fans mentioned claim anything, its just a piece of metal they sold their soul for. Fair weather or bandwagon fans are one thing, but these people are just fake.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I think everybody has forgotten Pop's whining when we gasol. He would have vetoed it if he had the chance. He's no saint

Every team would veto nearly every trade if they had the chance. That's a weak ass argument.

Last edited by leor_77 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't have as much of a problem with Lebron anymore, mostly because it was mostly about a Lebron vs Kobe thing, but Kobe behaviour/selfishness/etc. in recent years has lead to him greatly falling out of favor with me. I would probably be neutral, although I kind of see a team like Golden State making it to the finals anyway.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

[Most parts of] the rest of the universe outside our bubble don't view rings the way some of us seem to ... uttering 5 > 2 or 6 > 5 is a hollow argument to most of them (and at least some of us) ... they just don't share the view that ring count settles a debate, unless the individual performance metrics are essentially comparable. And as I've indicated elsewhere here, 7 essentially poor - abysmal seasons in a 19 year career tarnishes to some degree the collective high point of 7 great seasons and 5 very good ones.

While I think the NBA and its partners like ESPN obviously benefit economically from the hyperbolic ratcheting-up of rhetoric in marketing its superstars as "the next ..." or "the best since ..." or "the best ever ...", LeBron arrived at that first title with three R/S MVPs already under his belt and individual performance metrics comparable to pretty much only MJ in the era of modern basketball ... was it so far-fetched to you that their news (read: marketing with some modest reporting of facts) was going to reach on these kinds of comparisons? We have been lodged in the ESPN zone for a long time now: highlights only, please!

As I see it, the non-zealot (i.e., majority) view is that an individual's legacy (incl. prospective inclusion in the preposterous GOAT spittlefest that we find ourselves in far too often) is some combination of individual accomplishments and team accomplishments, with the skew toward the individual ones ... for pathological reasons (I guess), we have an urge to downplay the component that is least favorable to our confirmation bias tendencies ...

Bottom line: those who cry too much bias in favor of LeBron on ESPN or traditional sports media are matched at least 1:1 by those who cry out the very same thing about Kobe ... perspective is a tricky matter.

I guess im the only laker fan who actually likes LeBron James and would welcome him with open arms if he does decide to opt out and come here
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

the mere fact that dan gilbert is one of the orchestrators of our current situation makes me wish the worst upon the cavs.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I just hope neither of these teams make the Finals best case scenario.

Since my Pacers aren't an option

I'm rooting for Memphis to win it all. They're the Pacers West and have Indiana bred players.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
22 wrote:

Every team would veto nearly every trade if they had the chance. That's a weak ass argument.

Except that's the reason we all hate Gilbert so....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
the association wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:

I guess im the only laker fan who actually likes LeBron James and would welcome him with open arms if he does decide to opt out and come here

1. If Lebron became a Laker, the fan base would love him. Moods change quick when a guy joins your team.

2. Sure, an extra ring would give Duncan fans more ammunition for their guy. But 7-6 wouldn't be a trump card. That said, lots of people already judge Duncan's career to be as good as or better than Kobe's. In my view, overall, Duncan and Kobe's career are judged as about even. It seems to be that Duncan, Kobe and Shaq are regarded as having equal careers, but individual opinions will vary widely, of course.

3, It's hardly surprising that Lebron has gotten more attention from the start than Duncan ever has. People respect Duncan, but they are bored by him. No matter whether you love or hate Lebron, he is far more interesting.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject:

No way you put Duncan ahead of Kobe on the all-time great list, 6 rings or not. He's not far behind, but he'll never be ahead.

Spurs.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject:

If Cleveland wins in its first three years with the big 3, then I really like their chances to win it again.
Daloyalfan16
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Spurs I cant stand Lebron
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: