Who would you want to win if San Antonio and Cleveland reach the finals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

Daloyalfan16 wrote:
defense wrote:
Spurs I cant stand Lebron
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Spurs. I respect them.

frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
San Antonio. I'm pulling for Pop and Timmy. Downside they pass Kobe in ring count.

I don't know. 5 rings in 10 years vs 6 rings in 16 years.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
San Antonio. I'm pulling for Pop and Timmy. Downside they pass Kobe in ring count.

No matter how many years separated the rings, those other years happened. Jordan won 6 over 8 years but it doesn't eliminate the early years from his career. If Duncan passes Kobe so be it. Yes the haters will use it as ammo on Kobe but we know who Kobe is.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Spurs. I respect them.

I get the respect part but what irks me is that they don't show an ounce of respect towards us.... im talking about the team in general... remember when we got swept by them in 13. every player on that team said it wasn't a fair fight except for Manu Ginobili...

remember when popovich gave us crap about landing pau gasol

remember the post game comments when fisher hit the .4 and they all said the clock started late....

I mean I remember phil had some subtle jabs but this is the spurs... the only team that was able to hang with the lakers through these years... I feel like nothing would please me more this season than watching the spurs team die and wash out
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Wouldn't it actually be 5 rings in 19 years vs 6 rings (if SA wins) in 18 years?
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

To me, stating it that way speaks to Duncan's sustained excellence considering they've won 50+ games every year he's been in the league.

As to the question, It was easy to say screw the Spurs and hope for a Miami win last year. This hypothetical question is much harder considering Gilbert into the equation, but I'd still rather see anyone but the Spurs win.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

you could debate whether having rings cluster or more spread out is more impressive. that's in the eye of the beholder, but I doubt many people really care either way...the important thing is the total number of rings you win in your career.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

you could debate whether having rings cluster or more spread out is more impressive. that's in the eye of the beholder, but I doubt many people really care either way...the important thing is the total number of rings you win in your career.

so its actually spurs vs lakers in the last 16 years rather than tim vs kobe
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Spurs..I enjoy watching them play. Don't think Duncan winning 6 hurts legacy of Kobe just adds to Duncan being the best PF ever..no matter what Kobe is the better player and you have to be kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
oliverginob
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Cleveland, forget LeBron and let that city have one. I also don't want Duncan to have more than Kobe and Green/Leonard are the most overrated players ever.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject:

I've always liked the Spurs, a class shop, a smart club, and a team I like to see play. It'd be great to see Timmy win BIG.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject:

Luckily, I don't have to worry about that because it's going to be Memphis/Bulls finals.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Luckily, I don't have to worry about that because it's going to be Memphis/Bulls finals.

Would be the first time in NBA history two brothers faced off in the NBA Finals.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

I've always strongly disliked Lebron. Not just because the media keeps over hyping him, but also because Lebron himself is a fake, shameless self promoting a-hole. He may be a good human being on the inside, but when you see him wear t-shirts that say "check my $tats" you know something is wrong with that boy.

I'd have to root for the Spurs. Some of the previous posts in this thread have convinced me that Duncan having 6 rings wouldn't necessarily trump Kobe's legacy. Especially when Kobe was clearly the more dominant individual player. Plus Duncan is classy and I've always respected him.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I've always strongly disliked Lebron. Not just because the media keeps over hyping him, but also because Lebron himself is a fake, shameless self promoting a-hole. He may be a good human being on the inside, but when you see him wear t-shirts that say "check my $tats" you know something is wrong with that boy.

I'd have to root for the Spurs. Some of the previous posts in this thread have convinced me that Duncan having 6 rings wouldn't necessarily trump Kobe's legacy. Especially when Kobe was clearly the more dominant individual player. Plus Duncan is classy and I've always respected him.

"Exhibit A" for the prosecution of almost everything that's wrong with fandom ...
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject:

I'd choose the Spurs.
improper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

San Antonio has won enough. Give one to Cleveland.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
slavavov wrote:

"Exhibit A" for the prosecution of almost everything that's wrong with fandom ...

So fans don't have a right to dislike rival players when they see qualities in them (or think they see qualities) that they don't like?

Most non-Laker fans and even some Laker fans think Kobe is a egocentric sociopath who can't relate to other human beings. I'm cool with that because his accomplishments speak for themselves, and also because everyone has a right to their opinion whether it's right or wrong. He's done more for the Lakers and us fans than anyone not named Magic or West.

I think Lebron has grown as a man these last few years. I've never thought he's a bad person. As far as I can tell he's never done hard drugs, or robbed a bank, or raped or murdered anyone. He may be a great human being with a big heart. But imo the essence of who he is is marketing and branding himself as a one man conglomerate. His main ambition is to become a billionaire global icon, and although he loves the game and wants to win basketball may simply be an integral part of him being an entrepreneur. Sometimes it seems like basketball isn't really an end for him like it was for Kobe and MJ, but he tries to come off as if basketball is his one real love.

That, along with the media acting like he's been as a player as MJ when he clearly has never been, is why I can't really stand him and why I don't want him to ever win another ring.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Spurs, for a few reasons:

1. The model that they've used has to be respected. Their organizational structure is simply impressive. They have no drama, they find the right type of fits, and they've simply sustained excellence over the years

2. The Spurs are closer to the end, Cleveland is not. I wouldn't want to be playing an upcoming dynasty in it's infancy.

3. Only one reason why I don't want the Spurs to win is their trio surpassing Kobe in trophy count. Though if Kobe and the Diesel had gotten along I might not be talking about it.

4. Don't want Cleveland to win nothing. Needs no further explanation from a Laker fan. We know about Gilbert. But Lebron being the de facto GM with his background managerial moves just rubs me a bit the wrong way. I respect the fact that he can do it, but I don't have to like it.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
the association wrote:
slavavov wrote:

So fans don't have a right to dislike rival players when they see qualities in them (or think they see qualities) that they don't like?

Most non-Laker fans and even some Laker fans think Kobe is a egocentric sociopath who can't relate to other human beings. I'm cool with that because his accomplishments speak for themselves, and also because everyone has a right to their opinion whether it's right or wrong. He's done more for the Lakers and us fans than anyone not named Magic or West.

I think Lebron has grown as a man these last few years. I've never thought he's a bad person. As far as I can tell he's never done hard drugs, or robbed a bank, or sexual assaulted or murdered anyone. He may be a great human being with a big heart. But imo the essence of who he is is marketing and branding himself as a one man conglomerate. His main ambition is to become a billionaire global icon, and although he loves the game and wants to win basketball may simply be an integral part of him being an entrepreneur. Sometimes it seems like basketball isn't really an end for him like it was for Kobe and MJ, but he tries to come off as if basketball is his one real love.

That, along with the media acting like he's been as a player as MJ when he clearly has never been, is why I can't really stand him and why I don't want him to ever win another ring.

I'm not amenable these days to arguing about the media's treatment of LeBron ... this topic brings out very, very strong opinions, and I have little doubt that you and I could very easily find a basis to argue whether or not the media has been fair or unfair to LeBron. But it's largely pointless ... nothing that dude does will satisfy those who have seemingly made it their life's work to try to tear him down.

In terms of your justification for your dislike of another team's personnel, I think your explanation was completely fair, though I don't entirely agree with that opinion (and of course you have a right to that opinion, so the explanation wasn't really owed to me anyway). But thanks all the same ... I did enjoy reading your response and I think I understand your view better now.

My remark was more directed at the comment that seemed to give far too much consideration for the impact on one player's legacy of the unrelated actions of another player. It would feel "small" to me to walk around fearing that another playing winning would diminish Kobe's overall career impact. If he is your favorite player, I feel like you should take the good with the bad, and appreciate the opportunity you have had to follow his career for these 19+ years in the spotlight. That's my opinion ... I just don't think that kind of insecurity is compatible with a player as accomplished as Kobe or any of his peers. And I don't think actual fervent MJ fans would have given a rip if Kobe had won 6 or 7 (or 8 or 9) rings. It just shouldn't matter so much ...

I hope that helps ... (but once more, this time it's just my opinion) ...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
1. The model that they've used has to be respected. Their organizational structure is simply impressive. They have no drama, they find the right type of fits, and they've simply sustained excellence over the years

2. The Spurs are closer to the end, Cleveland is not. I wouldn't want to be playing an upcoming dynasty in it's infancy.

3. Only one reason why I don't want the Spurs to win is their trio surpassing Kobe in trophy count. Though if Kobe and the Diesel had gotten along I might not be talking about it.

4. Don't want Cleveland to win nothing. Needs no further explanation from a Laker fan. We know about Gilbert. But Lebron being the de facto GM with his background managerial moves just rubs me a bit the wrong way. I respect the fact that he can do it, but I don't have to like it.

Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Being from Ohio, I don't think the majority of the Cavs' fanbase deserve a championship. I see it firsthand and I have a very strong opinion on them. I can't tell you how many of their fans decided to whore their fanhood for LBJ. Burning jerseys, crying as they gathered behind Gilbert hatefully declaring they'd build around Kyrie and wouldn't welcome LBJ back in the state. Man up and say you were childish, instead of spinning it as "WE forgive James". LOL if anything it should be the other way around. If the Cavs players or the fans that weren't whores for a ring see a championship then good for them seriously. If Gilbert or any of those fans mentioned claim anything, its just a piece of metal they sold their soul for. Fair weather or bandwagon fans are one thing, but these people are just fake.

When the Cavs were struggling earlier this season, I'd go to the Cleveland paper and read the responses to Cavs stories. And, their fans were ridiculously, over-the-top childish.

They were still pissing and moaning that the best player in basketball left sunny Miami to come to Cleveland. They were essentially demanding why Lebron hadn't won them a championship before the season even finished.
I still don't understand why Lebron would want to come back after the way they treated him when he left.

Plus, I'd throw up a little if Dan "Basketball Reasons' Gilbert ever won a championship. I don't think Jimbo Buss has done a good job at all, but at least Jimbo never tried to get a writer fired the way Gilbert did after a writer joking wrote about Predatory Loans Arena in a column.

If the Cavs win, then I think Klove stays in Cleveland. But, if the Cavs can only reach the Finals, then I think Klove might leave Cleveland and then the Cavs would have nothing to show after hitting the lottery and picking Wiggins.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

I wrote that post....and agree with you!! ...it was the lesser of the two evils to choose from.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Spurs, Duncan is my favorite player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: