SNL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: SNL

This show came to the fore front when I was a teen, and I was the perfect audience for it. But I honestly don't think I have watched one episode in the past few years. Last night it was 11:30 and for some reason I turned it on. And I was glad I did, they showed an episode from October 1975. It might have been the first episode but I am not sure. George Carlin was the host and the musical guests were Billy Preston and Janis Ian. It brought back some good memories, Belushi and Chevy Chase along with Gilda Radnor. Making out with the County judge's daughter on his couch while watching it. A nice slice of Americana. I miss the edge that the original show had, somewhere that seems to have been lost along the way. Or maybe that edge has moved somewhere where I don't recognize it anymore. I did make my son watch Carlin's bit on baseball vs football, that is a classic.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:

It was indeed the very first.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I just noticed they are having a 40 year reunion special tonight - live at 8 pm EST.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:

If you are/were a fan....this is something......just about everyone that could.........came back......hilarious memories

Last edited by Qsmiff on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Classic Carlin last night!
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject:

If ya' haven't watched in a while...you should (you tube) search 'Sumpin' Claus'
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: SNL

venturalakersfan wrote:
This show came to the fore front when I was a teen, and I was the perfect audience for it. But I honestly don't think I have watched one episode in the past few years. Last night it was 11:30 and for some reason I turned it on. And I was glad I did, they showed an episode from October 1975. It might have been the first episode but I am not sure. George Carlin was the host and the musical guests were Billy Preston and Janis Ian. It brought back some good memories, Belushi and Chevy Chase along with Gilda Radnor. Making out with the County judge's daughter on his couch while watching it. A nice slice of Americana. I miss the edge that the original show had, somewhere that seems to have been lost along the way. Or maybe that edge has moved somewhere where I don't recognize it anymore. I did make my son watch Carlin's bit on baseball vs football, that is a classic.

You saw it on NBC? I saw the 2nd episode on VH1-Classic, Ch 337 on Direct. They finished up a backwards marathon of SNL over the last week. Odd format, the musical guests were Simon & Garfunkel and the majority of the episode were music segments. Simon did a beautiful rendition of his song "American Tune". I watched that 3x back to back. Bill Bradley came out and gave him a trophy of his that was almost as tall as him (the joke being that he was giving it to Simon for beating him 1:1, then Paul challenged Kareem to the next one).
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject:

Can Eddie Murphy be funny anymore?
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

accidentally came across it last night and watched some of it. I thought the Murphy thing was staged but the internet is buzzing about it today.

He gets a great inro about saving SNL and being the influence for rock's career, followed by an awkward moment

growing up i catched the show on ocassions. Watching some of the same people on the scree again just made me realize how quickly time has passed.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

What's the deal with Murphy anyways? What's the behind the scenes story about his time at SNL?
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
What's the deal with Murphy anyways? What's the behind the scenes story about his time at SNL?

When David Spade used to do the Entertainment News during the Weekend Update they showed a picture of Murphy and Spade said "Look children, a falling star... Quick, make a wish!"

this was around the Pluto Nash time of his career
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I always thought SNL was unbelievably overrated - The only times they're funny are when they have a legit funny guest that can transcend their crappy skits/writing. Mad TV was way better than them.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Didn't know former SNL cast member Jan Hooks died last year.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Didn't know former SNL cast member Jan Hooks died last year.

Yeah, it was a 1-min news scrawl byte.

SNL had a reunion event in 2000 maybe? Norm MacDonald was hilarious, he was very blue that night. I only recall castmembers sitting around in a jumble and you could tell Hooks and Nora Dunn were uncomfortable with Norm's bit. He was on a roll and took a lot of time for himself. The more reserved SNL people take a backseat to the more outward ones. They'll talk sh about each other, too. I remember Julia Sweeney (Pat) talking about the new frat boy club (Spade, Sandler, Farley, etc). She was talking about how stupid Sandler's songs and 'tard voice were (his lines in most of his skits were that Waterboy gibberish). She said, "We'd try hard to come up with dialogue for a skit, and then Adam would write a song about Hanukkah and take up 3 minutes of Kevin Nealon's newscast." True dat, but it showed how they have to vie for airtime with each other.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
accidentally came across it last night and watched some of it. I thought the Murphy thing was staged but the internet is buzzing about it today.

He gets a great inro about saving SNL and being the influence for rock's career, followed by an awkward moment

Piscopo is up Eddie's arse to this day. He wants us to remember it as a duo (him and Eddie).

Chris Rock had a cameo in Bev Hills Cop 2. Saw it recently, totally forgot about it. Obvious that Eddie got him that. That was in 87, so he's been a fan of Rock's for a long time. Gilbert Gottfried had a more substantial appearance. Probably not a coincidence either.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject:

What was more awkward, Murphy's brief moment, or how the "californians" skit dragged with yet another Betty White appearance?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
What was more awkward, Murphy's brief moment, or how the "californians" skit dragged with yet another Betty White appearance?

Betty's like the Dr. Ruth of today, but less kinky. Remember when Dr. Ruth would be one of those tertiary guests on Leno or Conan? She told Conan to tell his GF to reach around and tickle him while he finished and the audience was dying. He looked mortified. Andy was cracking up.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if Lorne Michaels was just trying to pander to Millennials by featuring Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift. Neither have provided classic SNL performances and Cyrus' Paul Simon cover was out of place and not very good.

Side note: was John Goodman drunk or just really nervous during that Q&A with Seinfeld?

Also, Martin Short is such an underrated performer. He should host the Oscars.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I missed the beginning of Pau McCartney's song, did they show a clip of Lorne asking the Beatles to reunite on SNL and be paid scale? That always cracked me up. I read an interview with Paul and he said he was visiting John in NY and that the two of them kicked around the idea of taking Lorne up on his offer.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject:

It was pretty good over all. But there were some questionable parts - most of which have been mentioned here.

It was a shame that they reduced some of the best bits over the years to 3 second clips in the various montages but wasted several minutes on a bad, one note sketch like the Californians.

It was also ridiculous that with such a rich history of great musical guests that Miley Cirus gets within even 10 miles of that stage.

It was nice that they featured the crew members so heavily in the "In Memorium" segment.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I missed the beginning of Pau McCartney's song, did they show a clip of Lorne asking the Beatles to reunite on SNL and be paid scale? That always cracked me up. I read an interview with Paul and he said he was visiting John in NY and that the two of them kicked around the idea of taking Lorne up on his offer.

Paul actually was talking about that in a recent Podcast interview. He joked around about whether they would have gotten the whole amount or whether it would have been pro-rated since they would have been only half of the group.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It was pretty good over all. But there were some questionable parts - most of which have been mentioned here.

It was a shame that they reduced some of the best bits over the years to 3 second clips in the various montages but wasted several minutes on a bad, one note sketch like the Californians.

It was also ridiculous that with such a rich history of great musical guests that Miley Cirus gets within even 10 miles of that stage.

Remember Ashley Simpson? Haha. Even she had an IN-famous SNL moment. Miley doesn't make any sense. It's not like she's a Tier-1 act either. That's all they could get?
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

I thought Miley Cyrus's musical act was pretty good. You can tell she has some talent when she isn't twerking while wagging her tongue like a dog after a long walk. Kanye, on the other hand, was terrible. He had a frog in his throat, and he has never been a passable singer. The Californians sketch was horrible too.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

I thought the Celebrity Jeopardy sketch was fantastic. Martin Short was great, too.

Paul McCartney's singing was really, really bad.

I wonder why Dennis Miller didn't show up. Not invited? Or refused to attend?
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
tlim wrote:

When David Spade used to do the Entertainment News during the Weekend Update they showed a picture of Murphy and Spade said "Look children, a falling star... Quick, make a wish!"

this was around the Pluto Nash time of his career

Yeah, definitely bad blood. First time he hosted SNL, they decided to roast him and basically made fun of him, basically saying that the high point of his career was SNL.

Ever since then, he's not want anything to do with SNL.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: