Denver: resolving conflicts

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Denver: resolving conflicts

Coach Brian Shaw and point guard Ty Lawson are at loggerheads. Have been since day one. Lawson's an improvisational dish-driver and Shaw wants a more methodical passer. Lawson's become un-coachable there.

And the team's no damn good.

One man has got to go if that club is to improve, and sadly I think the smart move for the Nuggets is to release Shaw. It appears however they're pushing hard before the trade deadline to swap Lawson for crap (essentially a third tier lead guard, George Hill.) Oooof, I feel really bad for Arron Afflalo; he can't land on a decent team for a second.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Denver: resolving conflicts

Wilkes52 wrote:
Coach Brian Shaw and point guard Ty Lawson are at loggerheads. Have been since day one. Lawson's an improvisational dish-driver and Shaw wants a more methodical passer. Lawson's become un-coachable there.

And the team's no damn good.

One man has got to go if that club is to improve, and sadly I think the smart move for the Nuggets is to release Shaw. It appears however they're pushing hard before the trade deadline to swap Lawson for crap (essentially a third tier lead guard, George Hill.) Oooof, I feel really bad for Arron Afflalo; he can't land on a decent team for a second.

Spoke too soon:

Afflalo traded to the Blazers.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:

Very cool.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

LOL at Phil Jackson's triangle proteges, who has ever succeeded over the years? i can't name one. and this is the guy (Shaw) many of you want to be our HC as recent as last year.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
LOL at Phil Jackson's triangle proteges, who has ever succeeded over the years? i can't name one. and this is the guy (Shaw) many of you want to be our HC as recent as last year.

Frankly, I'd much preferred to have risked the franchise's chances with Shaw, but that would never happen (with his connection to Phil).

Byron's got no clue, no charisma, no player development made. Maybe they both would fail here, but we benefit from knowing Bee burned Kobe right to the ground before mid-season. He's failed in every way a coach can fail here. At least with Shaw, there's a small chance he'd have done better.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject:

It's funny people talk Phil's disciples all failing on bad teams yet seem to overlook another one of his protégés is Kerr and he's doing fantastic in GST.

Shaw never really ran the triangle in Denver.

The Denver team does not fit Shaw, but at the same time it's not like they are boasting with talent or Shaw ran the Triangle. They still play high tempo. Still run a lot of screen roll. Shaw simply had injuries to deal with and he isn't the coach George Karl is.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's funny people talk Phil's disciples all failing on bad teams yet seem to overlook another one of his protégés is Kerr and he's doing fantastic in GST.

He's pretty much the exception.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

It helps that he has 3-4 all star caliber players on his team vs like 0 or 1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

And he's running an offense that is far more pop than tri.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Cleamons ran the triangle too with Kidd, Mashburn and prime JImmy Jackson to epic levels of fail. Regardless, that Denver team with almost an entirely same cast won 57 games the year before Shaw got there.

Kobe said it best. He said it's not the system, it's the coach. Phil could've ran another system and probably would've been successful.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Cleamons ran the triangle too with Kidd, Mashburn and prime JImmy Jackson to epic levels of fail. Regardless, that Denver team with almost an entirely same cast won 57 games the year before Shaw got there.

Kobe said it best. He said it's not the system, it's the coach. Phil could've ran another system and probably would've been successful.

Yeah and that coach was Texas Winter
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Yeah and that coach was Texas Winter

Hah. Touche.
lilmomo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

The Denver team does not fit Shaw, but at the same time it's not like they are boasting with talent or Shaw ran the Triangle. They still play high tempo. Still run a lot of screen roll. Shaw simply had injuries to deal with and he isn't the coach George Karl is.

I know people loved Phil because of the 5 championships he brought LA so they tend to want to excuse his short comings but come on, that's really reaching to link Kerr to Phil besides the fact that Phil wanted him as a coach in New York. I mean Kerr played for Popovich as well, why not say he's a Popovich protégé?

I mean Shaw was an assistant coach to Phil so I can see the connection there.
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject:

Denver just bought out Thomas Robinson. I wonder if the Lakers will take a look at him?
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

lakerlynx wrote:
Denver just bought out Thomas Robinson. I wonder if the Lakers will take a look at him?

Lakers need to release Boozer and sign him.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Frankly, I'd much preferred to have risked the franchise's chances with Shaw, but that would never happen (with his connection to Phil).

Byron's got no clue, no charisma, no player development made. Maybe they both would fail here, but we benefit from knowing Bee burned Kobe right to the ground before mid-season. He's failed in every way a coach can fail here. At least with Shaw, there's a small chance he'd have done better.

why even brought up Bryon Scott? he's just a stop gap coach plain and simple. Lakers hired him as a PR move to shut up all the ex-Laker greats on turning against the team. he'll get replaced as soon as Kobe retires and the real rebuild starts.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:

I'd be very surprised if Shaw was still the HC after this season. The Nuggets went from a 57-win team to a 36-win team in his first year and they're not even going to reach that many wins in his second.

It's not all his fault. Nuggets management can't seem to stand success.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I'd be very surprised if Shaw was still the HC after this season. The Nuggets went from a 57-win team to a 36-win team in his first year and they're not even going to reach that many wins in his second.

It's not all his fault. Nuggets management can't seem to stand success.

once again LOL @ all those front phil jackson coaching tree. you guys learned from the wrong teacher.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject:

lilmomo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I know people loved Phil because of the 5 championships he brought LA so they tend to want to excuse his short comings but come on, that's really reaching to link Kerr to Phil besides the fact that Phil wanted him as a coach in New York. I mean Kerr played for Popovich as well, why not say he's a Popovich protégé?

I mean Shaw was an assistant coach to Phil so I can see the connection there.

There's way more Popovich than Jackson in the way that Golden State team plays
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
70sdude wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

why even brought up Bryon Scott? he's just a stop gap coach plain and simple. Lakers hired him as a PR move to shut up all the ex-Laker greats on turning against the team. he'll get replaced as soon as Kobe retires and the real rebuild starts.

Well, it's senseless to discuss Shaw's potential (the thread) as a Laker HC in isolation. Every hire is a result of comparative shoppoing.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Helps to have Jordan and Pippen in their prime and then Shaq and Kobe too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: