Bosh treated for blood clots, out for season (Update: resting at home)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Bosh treated for blood clots, out for season (Update: resting at home)

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article10734557.html

Considering how Kersey passed away a few days ago, I'm glad Bosh went to the doctor. If it is blood clots, hopefully they catch them and he can play next season being 100%. That's rough

UPDATE: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/21/heat-announce-chris-bosh-is-out-for-the-season-as-he-receives-treatment-for-blood-clots-on-lung/

Done for the year. Let's pray it's not worse and career ending

Last edited by 22 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject:

I hope they protected their pick.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
I hope they protected their pick.

top 7 for the Cleveland one, but UNPROTECTED for the 2021 pick. For their sake I hope they're a good team then
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't bring things like pick protection up now. Hopefully, the guy is alright.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I wouldn't bring things like pick protection up now. Hopefully, the guy is alright.

Exactly. We're talking about a condition that could end his life. Considering what bosh brought to the heat, a pick is the last thing on Riley's mind.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Hope he's alright. I wish him the best.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject:

OMGoodness!! Thank heavens he went to the doctor. I hope all will be OK.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject:

I hope he recovers fully from this. I don't know much about blood clots I just hope he will be alright now that they know what he has and are monitoring it. Its pretty scary knowing Jerome Kersey just passed away from this.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:

http://news.list-online.com/athletes-vulnerable-to-blood-clot-condition-that-may-affect-chris-bosh-palm-beach-post/

Quote:
Athletes vulnerable to blood clot condition that may affect Chris Bosh – Palm Beach Post

So what are the reasons that highly conditioned athletes are susceptible to the illness?

Here are some:

Athletes vulnerable to blood clot condition that may affect Chris Bosh photo
“I was having my best season, the best time of my life, and a week later, I’m in the hospital and I could be dead,” Varejao said after being treated. “It’s crazy. I’m very lucky.”

Brooklyn Nets guard Mirza Teletovic was diagnosed and treated for blood clots in his lungs last month. He was placed on blood thinners and will miss the rest of the season.

Low heart rates. People who exercise extensively can have a lower-than-average heart rate and blood pressure. Both could be risk factors for blood pooling and clotting. A resting heart rate of less than 60 beats a minute, though not dangerous in and of itself, may increase the risk for formation of a clot.

Tennis superstar Serena Williams, a resident of Palm Beach Gardens, had her career stalled when she suffered a pulmonary embolism following surgery to repair a deep cut on her foot she suffered after winning Wimbledon in 2010. She was out for almost 12 months.

Athletes vulnerable to blood clot condition that may affect Chris Bosh photo Rodrigo Abd
Hormones. Female athletes may use hormone contraceptives during training and around competitive events to avoid menstruating at an inopportune time. Venous thromboembolism (VTE) is rare, but taking birth control pills that contain estrogen or that combine estrogen and a progestin have been shown to increase the risk.

Serena Williams suffered a pulmonary embolism in 2010 that threatened her life and career. The lifestyles of professional athletes can leave them vulnerable to the condition, which results from blood clots forming in the large veins in the body, often in the legs, and traveling until they lodge in smaller veins, like those in the lungs. (AP Photo/Rodrigo Abd)

Mirza Teletovic of the Brooklyn Nets was treated for a suffered a pulmonary embolism this season and will miss the rest of the season. There are reports that doctors who are treating Miami Heat All-Star center Chris Bosh fear that he might be suffering from the condition. (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

If Heat center Chris Bosh is suffering from a pulmonary embolism, he would be the second NBA player this season to be diagnosed with the condition. Bosh was hospitalized Thursday night and was undergoing tests Friday after complaining of not feeling well and being under the weather during the All-Star break.

The news on Bosh came two days after former NBA player Jerome Kersey died, reportedly from blood clots in his lungs.

“I was on my death bed at one point – quite literally. I’ve had a serious illness, but at first I didn’t appreciate that,” Williams told reporters in July 2011 after returning to action.

Cleveland Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao suffered a similar health scare during the 2012-13 season.

Olympic speed skater, two-time U.S. Sprint Champion and Master Sprint World Champion Rebekah Bradford suffered from blood clots in 2012. So did former Florida Panthers goaltender Tomas Vokoun in 2013.

Pulmonary embolism frequently occurs after people develop deep vein thrombosis (DVT) — a blood clot that forms in a vein deep in the body, often in the lower leg. The life-threatening part comes from the possibility that the clot will travel through the blood and lodge in smaller veins, such as those in the lungs.

Dehydration. Despite taking in water or sports drinks, it’s still easy for high-performance athletes to sweat profusely and become dehydrated when participating in strenuous activity. Dehydration decreases plasma, the liquid portion of the blood, and increases blood’s thickness or stickiness. The thicker your blood, the more likely clots will form.

Injuries. Despite training and conditioning, competitive athletes can have accidents and either break bones or suffer other injuries in a fall or crash. Any injury to a vein or a severe muscle injury can increase the risk for developing DVT. So can the same cast or brace needed to stabilize a broken bone: They make you less mobile, and that allows your blood to pool.

The need to travel long distances. Competitions are held across the globe, requiring top athletes to take long flights to participate. Sitting cramped in a plane seat for more than four hours raises your risk of DVT. The longer you don’t move, the greater your chances of developing a blood clot deep in the veins of your legs. Inactivity before and after a competition also could contribute to risk.

There were reports that doctors treating Bosh fear that he has blood clots in his lungs.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

pretty scary dx ... hope he recovers fully and is back on the court soon.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Praying for Bosh to recover.
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject:

Of all the players in the NBA, why does this have to happen to Bosh?

I think this guy is a legit good dude and seems like a fun dude too. I really hope he recovers from this. He doesn't deserve this bullcrap.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject:

Sacreligious wrote:
Of all the players in the NBA, why does this have to happen to Bosh?

I think this guy is a legit good dude and seems like a fun dude too. I really hope he recovers from this. He doesn't deserve this bullcrap.

Yeah, I used bang on the guy cause of the fallout from the "Decision" but I've seen a few segments/interviews with him and he comes across as the one grounded guy out of the 3. I'm always a big fan of well rounded guys in terms of dudes that have interests outside of basketball (a la Pau). Not many D1 athletes destined for the NBA would take a programming class!

The selfish/NBA fan part of me wants to see what kinda noise a roster of Wade/Bosh/Whiteside/Deng/Dragic can do. That's a helluva starting lineup.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Out for the season. Good luck in your recovery, CB.
idrinkhaterade
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

boy did we dodge a bullet w/this one.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Exactly. We're talking about a condition that could end his life. Considering what bosh brought to the heat, a pick is the last thing on Riley's mind.

Nah, if he were going to die from it, he would have already. But the question is how large and where the clot is. If he has a large one and has developed some pulmonary hypertension, his career will be over. They aren't making it sound like that so it's probably a peripheral PE.

Frankly, there is a large debate in the medical community about what those mean. Over the last 20 years, as we have had CT scanners readily available, we have been able to diagnose PE with much more frequency, yet that hasn't translated to a mortality benefit. And in one study of people who were without symptoms before their fatal automobile crash, autopsy showed about a 20% incidence of PE. So, we all are probably forming and resolving these clots all the time. I am of the opinion that in the next 10 years, we'll be looking at no treatment save perhaps Aspirin for a select subset of those with PE.

That obviously doesn't apply to large central PE's such as the one that killed Jerome Kersey.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

idrinkhaterade wrote:
boy did we dodge a bullet w/this one.

?

Scary for Bosh, I hope they get this taken care of. I had some surgery a few years ago, and while in the hospital for a week I probably had a dozen ultra sounds, all to eliminate the possibility of having blood clots.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

I've been a big Chris Bosh fan. Wish the best for him. He's not as D-baggish as Wade/LBJ are so I felt the hate against him was merely by association.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/02/good-news-chris-bosh-released-from-hospital/

Quote:
Good news: Chris Bosh released from hospital

It was a frightening diagnosis Chris Bosh faced — blood clots on the lungs. That can be life threatening.

Bosh was hospitalized in Miami and put on a blood thinners treatment that will keep him out of the NBA for the rest of this season (leaving the Heat in the hands of Dwyane Wade and Goran Dragic). The good news is he has been released from the hospital, something the Heat announced, reports the Associated Press.

“That was his first goal,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said. “He’s been very anxious to get out of there. It was driving him nuts.”

Bosh will still be monitored closely still, but we’d all rather recover at home as opposed to in a hospital.

Bosh had earned a spot in the All-Star Game in Miami and after that was vacationing for a few days with Wade when he was struck with pain. That is when the blood clots were found by doctors.

It is possible Bosh will miss more than this season, the Heat are not giving a timetable for his return. Nor should they. This is far more important than basketball and he needs to get right.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/09/chris-bosh-should-resume-basketball-activities-in-september-heat-announce/

Quote:
Chris Bosh should resume basketball activities in September, Heat announce

Considering the potential danger, this is good news:

Chris Bosh should be back playing basketball next season.

Bosh is out for the rest of this season after doctors discovered blood clots on his lungs. He has been undergoing treatment, and the Heat doctors released this statement on Monday.

Chris Bosh will be re-evaluated this month, and if cleared, may begin regular exercise at that time with plans to start strength training next month. He is scheduled to resume full basketball activities in September.

NBA training camps usually open in early October. Based on other athletes who have had this same condition — such as the Cavaliers’ Anderson Varejao — this should not impact Bosh’s game when he does return.

Bosh was having an All-Star season, averaging 21.1 points and seven rebounds a game. The Heat have struggled since he went down.

Speaking to the media Monday, Bosh said he was never afraid and always thought he’d be back on the court, as reported by Ira Winderman of the Sun-Sentinel.

“I knew I was going to play basketball again,” he said….

“I’m making sure that I stay patient and not getting too ahead of myself,” he said. “I’ve come to appreciate everything about basketball. It’s something that I love and will love forever.”

For now he’s just home, spending more time with his family and trying to get healthy, he said.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Glad Bosh is felling better.
I've hated on Miami since "The Decision". But I'm glad Bosh will be able to play next season.

Just for kicks. Here's a favorite twitter post of mine: https://twitter.com/EmoChrisBosh/status/527267522895446016
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject:

Crazy how many guys league-wide have been seriously injured these past 3 seasons.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/12/chris-bosh-says-hes-feeling-healthy-working-out-again/

Quote:
Chris Bosh says he’s feeling healthy, working out again

Chris Bosh suffered a major health scare in February after he was diagnosed with blood clots in his lungs and ruled out for the rest of the 2014-15 season. But the Heat big man was a studio guest on Tuesday night for TNT’s playoff coverage and offered some positive news about his recovery.

“I’m feeling good,” Bosh said. “I’ve been spending a lot of time with the family. It put a lot of things into perspective for me and it just feels good to be healthy.”

Studio host Matt Winer asked if Bosh had started working out again, and he responded: “Absolutely.”

The Heat announced in March that Bosh was on track to resume basketball activities in September and should be ready to go at the start of training camp in the fall. Bosh’s comments back that up. Hopefully, he doesn’t have any more setbacks. Bosh is one of the most genuinely good guys in the league (not to mention a phenomenal player) and it would be great to see him healthy again.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: