Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: May 2, 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Floyd fans don't need excuses. The fight will prove who's the better man. How the judges score it won't change anything. e.g. Bradley, Pacquiao. The only thing it will unfairly damage is Floyd's legacy.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I was nervous when Floyd fought Canelo. I'm really scaaared about this fight with Manny.

Floyd will have to man up at some point in the fight. Manny will make him fight. I give Floyd a chance at either style.

I don't think many are giving Floyd credit for having a champions heart. He's not going to give Manny anything, he's going to have to take it.

Probably because he has not shown any heart since his early fights, or, arguably, momentarily when he rebounded from getting rocked by Mosley. the constant ducking of numerous contenders in their prime (including Pacquiao) may have something to do with it, as well.

How about Maidina? You call it ducking, I call it good business. It's practice has netted the biggest gate in boxing history.

If you're talking about the first fight, Floyd likely underestimated him (or lacked motivation/was distracted, whatever) and looked uncomfortable early. however, he figured him out pretty quickly and took over in the second half of the fight. in the second fight, he was running and clinching all night (and still managed to get nailed at the end of a round - 3rd?).

being business savvy is fine, but he can't have it both ways. can't exactly call him heroic when he blatantly ducked many of his biggest tests to preserve his record (and earning potential).
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Floyd fans don't need excuses. The fight will prove who's the better man. How the judges score it won't change anything. e.g. Bradley, Pacquiao. The only thing it will unfairly damage is Floyd's legacy.

that's exactly what I'm talking about.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I was nervous when Floyd fought Canelo. I'm really scaaared about this fight with Manny.

Floyd will have to man up at some point in the fight. Manny will make him fight. I give Floyd a chance at either style.

I don't think many are giving Floyd credit for having a champions heart. He's not going to give Manny anything, he's going to have to take it.

Probably because he has not shown any heart since his early fights, or, arguably, momentarily when he rebounded from getting rocked by Mosley. the constant ducking of numerous contenders in their prime (including Pacquiao) may have something to do with it, as well.

How about Maidina? You call it ducking, I call it good business. It's practice has netted the biggest gate in boxing history.

If you're talking about the first fight, Floyd likely underestimated him (or lacked motivation/was distracted, whatever) and looked uncomfortable early. however, he figured him out pretty quickly and took over in the second half of the fight. in the second fight, he was running and clinching all night (and still managed to get nailed at the end of a round - 3rd?).

being business savvy is fine, but he can't have it both ways. can't exactly call him heroic when he blatantly ducked many of his biggest tests to preserve his record (and earning potential).

Are we talking about heart? Floyd showed savvy and heart. I can have it both ways. If he were the only fighter ducking others you'd have a point. You forget how many Manny ducked. He's Arum's cash cow and Uncle Bob kept his coffers safe. Look at the fighters on top. How many are fighting the best of the best. It's the nature of the beast.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

in the 2nd Maidana fight, kenny Bayless kept breaking them up too soon. it was terrible. let them fight and work out of it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
in the 2nd Maidana fight, kenny Bayless kept breaking them up too soon. it was terrible. let them fight and work out of it.

Didn't Floyd get the best of some of the inside exchanges, made Maidana back out?

In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject:

They wanted to see Maidana headbutt, knee and rabbit punch for a second time around because outside of that Maidana didnt belong in the building with Floyd.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Mayweather/Pacquiao: At Last (HBO Documentary)

Very well made, can't wait!
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Didn't Floyd get the best of some of the inside exchanges, made Maidana back out?

that's what I'm saying.. let 'em fight.. floyd was beating him at his own game.. why break them up so early? it would have been more entertaining.. like the first fight.

one of the things that makes floyd so great is his ability to take away your strength and even use it against you.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Are we talking about heart? Floyd showed savvy and heart. I can have it both ways. If he were the only fighter ducking others you'd have a point. You forget how many Manny ducked. He's Arum's cash cow and Uncle Bob kept his coffers safe. Look at the fighters on top. How many are fighting the best of the best. It's the nature of the beast.

There is no reasoning with guys like him.

Manny ducked JMM for a considerable amount of time as well.. saying "no one wants to see that fight".. and fighting guys like Joshua Clottey instead.

I have nothing against Floyd or Manny as boxers, they've both done a lot to keep the sport relevant.. But some people pick sides and don't plan on moving and inch. BadGuy strikes me as one of them.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

Manny training:

His handles aren't very good for someone his size.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

Ref and Judges picked:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/boxing/vegas-bayless-picked-referee-mayweather-pacquiao-fight

Wasn't Clements the same judge that botched the Pac-Marquez I round (final scorecard, and inevitably the decision) and scored it 10-7 when there were 3 knockdowns (both of the other judges scored it 10-6) leading to a 113-113 card?
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Manny ducked JMM for a considerable amount of time as well.. saying "no one wants to see that fight".. and fighting guys like Joshua Clottey instead.

I have nothing against Floyd or Manny as boxers, they've both done a lot to keep the sport relevant.. But some people pick sides and don't plan on moving and inch. BadGuy strikes me as one of them.

are we really saying that Manny ducked JMM? they've fought 4 times
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Apparently if JMM calls Manny out to fight again immediately after they just fought, but Manny wants to fight other contenders (Antonio Margarito, Miguel Cotto, etc.), marga believes Manny was "ducking" JMM.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:

There was much more footage about Manny than Floyd. This documentary gave him a better personality than it did Floyd. Not saying it wasn't true, saying they could have found some more positives about MoneyMay.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Ted wrote:

There was much more footage about Manny than Floyd. This documentary gave him a better personality than it did Floyd. Not saying it wasn't true, saying they could have found some more positives about MoneyMay.

i believe Showtime is focusing more on Floyd in their series leading up to the fight, and HBO knows this based on the contract/negotiations for the joint broadcast, which is why they are focusing more on Manny.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Woah, if you're gonna make the claim that Manny ducked JMM for a long time, at least get the facts right. I seem to recall JMM completely pricing himself out of a rematch with Manny, after the 1st fight and Manny went on to fight Morales (who JMM ducked completely), but they still eventually fought the 2nd fight, while both were still in their prime. Now, as far as Manny choosing Clottey and all the others, prior to JMM III? Arum put Clottey in as the replacement for what should have been Floyd, after the 1st negotiation went south. Then, the opportunity came up for Manny to get a 8th title in 8th division, against Margarito. In addition to that, JMM was still fighting at lightweight and Jr. Welterweight. He hadn't even made the decision to go up to Welterweight, until he got the fight against Floyd. And even then, he looked obviously ill prepared for the fight against Floyd because he bloated up the wrong way. If anything, Manny not fighting JMM at Welterweight for the 3rd fight was probably the best thing for him, because it gave him time to adjust to the additional weight. I think that, had he fought a tune-up fight at 147 prior to fighting Floyd, JMM would've looked a lot better and nowhere near as slow.

Some say Floyd ducked Margarito and Paul Williams, when they were big threats at Welterweight. And prior to Margarito beating Cotto with cement hands, people mentioned Floyd avoiding him as well. I can't say I really agree with that, considering Floyd did take a year and a half off.

Now, if we're going to get into the nuts and bolts of things, the one person that many felt Arum avoided doing was putting Manny in with Zahir Rahim. And his main reason was that Morales II was a bigger money fight, despite Rahim beating Morales the fight prior. For Floyd, the one that people truly felt he ducked was the rematch against De La Hoya. People seem to forget that the fight was a split decision and a valid split decision, since some rounds really could have gone either way. Rather than rematching De La Hoya, Floyd "retired," which left Oscar looking for another "big name" to fight, so after Oscar had his tuneup against Steve Forbes, that's how Manny ended up fighting him. I've said this in other instances, but if Floyd wants to really look at how Manny became the other cash cow in the sport...it's his own fault!...LOL. If he re-matches De La Hoya and De La Hoya retires, the idea of Manny moving up in weight as rapidly doesn't have as much urgency.

At the end of the day, I think every justification can be picked apart and argued, but what I don't believe can be argued is that these two are without a doubt the best of this current era. The hype behind this fight is predicated on that alone.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Ted wrote:

i believe Showtime is focusing more on Floyd in their series leading up to the fight, and HBO knows this based on the contract/negotiations for the joint broadcast, which is why they are focusing more on Manny.

This...It was stated from the beginning that part of the negotiations was talking about the specials that would be created and it was clearly mentioned that HBO would focus on Manny's story, Showtime on Floyd, and there was supposed to only be 1 special each. I guess Showtime took a different approach than initially reported because I saw 4 episodes planned. HBO just did 1 hour long special and then another one this weekend with past "greats" of the sport, talking about the fight.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12736671/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-contract-not-signed

Contract still not signed and no tickets have been sold
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Manny training:

His handles aren't very good for someone his size.

I actually felt bad for Orton, when he got kicked out of the PBA for making a statement about Manny's playing being a "joke," but I think he learned a bigger lesson in making insults over there (especially towards Manny Pacquiao) vs. over here in the U.S. Manny is about as good of a basketball player as he is a singer (not very good), but people still love to see him anyway.

What's funny is, as much as he's improved with his English, I think that his still not being able to completely comprehend questions adds to his appeal to the fans...in a similar way that GGG appeals to fans. He tries very hard to answer, even if he doesn't realize that his answer doesn't match the question. Similar thing with his playing basketball, or singing...he knows he's not great at either, but he loves the activities and since he's reached this current stature, wants to give entertainment to the Pinoys over there. Props to him because he doesn't really care if he looks terrible doing either (just like speaking English) because he's just "doing his best." Gotta love his humbleness.

The way Manny carries himself reminds me of how Barry Sanders used to be, after scoring a touchdown. Always act as if you've been there before and majority of the time, very humble, despite being an all time great.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12736671/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-contract-not-signed

Contract still not signed and no tickets have been sold

Just saw that...it's just the venue contract though...but again, another reason I didn't want to get too comfortable until they are face to face.

I don't trust either side. Only thing that gives me a little comfort is that there are so many people that have already invested a lot of money into this fight and making it happen, especially sponsors.

One thing is 100% for sure, Les Moonves will make heads roll if anybody threatens this fight from moving forward.

FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Orton getting kicked out of the PBA had nothing to do with his statements despite what ESPN says. Dude was garbage when he played and was replaced by another international player. Each team is allowed 1 international player on their team at a time.

Dude went for 6pts. on 1-7 shooting vs. the last place team and then starts talking sh!t.

I'm sure his comments had something to do with it but it doesn't paint the whole picture. Besides, you have to really be something else to not last in the PBA for more than 1 week.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Apparently if JMM calls Manny out to fight again immediately after they just fought, but Manny wants to fight other contenders (Antonio Margarito, Miguel Cotto, etc.), marga believes Manny was "ducking" JMM.

lol?

JMM tried several times to get a rematch with him and Manny refused; it was well documented in Spanish/Mexican media.

Look how long it took before he gave him a rematch.

You wanna sit here and laugh, but say Antonio Margarito was a "contender" when he made his name off of cheating Cotto (this is coming from a Cotto hater too).. you are really going to drop his name in a list of notables that Manny fought? hah.

May 2004
March 2008
November 2011

Took about 4 years for JMM to get a rematch.. but yea that not ducking. That extra year Floyd took to fight Manny though... that's definitely ducking.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Woah, if you're gonna make the claim that Manny ducked JMM for a long time, at least get the facts right. I seem to recall JMM completely pricing himself out of a rematch with Manny, after the 1st fight and Manny went on to fight Morales (who JMM ducked completely), but they still eventually fought the 2nd fight, while both were still in their prime. Now, as far as Manny choosing Clottey and all the others, prior to JMM III? Arum put Clottey in as the replacement for what should have been Floyd, after the 1st negotiation went south. Then, the opportunity came up for Manny to get a 8th title in 8th division, against Margarito. In addition to that, JMM was still fighting at lightweight and Jr. Welterweight. He hadn't even made the decision to go up to Welterweight, until he got the fight against Floyd. And even then, he looked obviously ill prepared for the fight against Floyd because he bloated up the wrong way. If anything, Manny not fighting JMM at Welterweight for the 3rd fight was probably the best thing for him, because it gave him time to adjust to the additional weight. I think that, had he fought a tune-up fight at 147 prior to fighting Floyd, JMM would've looked a lot better and nowhere near as slow.

Some say Floyd ducked Margarito and Paul Williams, when they were big threats at Welterweight. And prior to Margarito beating Cotto with cement hands, people mentioned Floyd avoiding him as well. I can't say I really agree with that, considering Floyd did take a year and a half off.

Now, if we're going to get into the nuts and bolts of things, the one person that many felt Arum avoided doing was putting Manny in with Zahir Rahim. And his main reason was that Morales II was a bigger money fight, despite Rahim beating Morales the fight prior. For Floyd, the one that people truly felt he ducked was the rematch against De La Hoya. People seem to forget that the fight was a split decision and a valid split decision, since some rounds really could have gone either way. Rather than rematching De La Hoya, Floyd "retired," which left Oscar looking for another "big name" to fight, so after Oscar had his tuneup against Steve Forbes, that's how Manny ended up fighting him. I've said this in other instances, but if Floyd wants to really look at how Manny became the other cash cow in the sport...it's his own fault!...LOL. If he re-matches De La Hoya and De La Hoya retires, the idea of Manny moving up in weight as rapidly doesn't have as much urgency.

At the end of the day, I think every justification can be picked apart and argued, but what I don't believe can be argued is that these two are without a doubt the best of this current era. The hype behind this fight is predicated on that alone.

Part of this is because I'm annoying reading people just taking one side and running with it.

I think saying JMM priced himself out would be like saying that Canelo priced himself out vs Cotto as well (which is the argument I've heard before).. Not as true as it seems, there is plenty of revenue to be made from big Mexican names as even Mexican TV stations will dish out decent money for rights, I guess that's an entire different beast.

I blame the fight not happening earlier on both sides, but people are adamant on blaming it one (usually Floyd).. which gets annoying to see people regurgitate over and over.
FloppyDiskz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Here's an article explaining the "ducking" situation -

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/notebook?page=notebook/boxingmarch14
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 18 of 59
Jump to: