Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: May 2, 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:

Part of this is because I'm annoying reading people just taking one side and running with it.

I think saying JMM priced himself out would be like saying that Canelo priced himself out vs Cotto as well (which is the argument I've heard before).. Not as true as it seems, there is plenty of revenue to be made from big Mexican names as even Mexican TV stations will dish out decent money for rights, I guess that's an entire different beast.

I blame the fight not happening earlier on both sides, but people are adamant on blaming it one (usually Floyd).. which gets annoying to see people regurgitate over and over.

The 1st fight was a draw and JMM wanted to be the lead on the card for the rematch, as well as a bigger split of the purse! For what? They drew and in fact, Burt Clements (coincidentally, the judge that was responsible for the draw, because he didn't know he could score a 10-6 round) was the reason it was a draw in the first place. Nonetheless, JMM had no reason to believe he deserved the bigger share of the purse and top billing, after the 1st fight. And let's be real, JMM was not the most loved Mexican fighter at that time! It was a toss up between Eric Morales and Barrera. Most of my Mexican friends and Mexican boxing fans I knew preferred them over JMM because JMM was a counter puncher, and not quite as exciting, at the time.

I don't really care whose fault it was for the fight happening, really. Just pointing out the facts, not just opinion.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:

FloppyDiskz wrote:
Here's an article explaining the "ducking" situation -

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/notebook?page=notebook/boxingmarch14

Well that puts to bed the ridiculous notion that Manny ducked JMM. A guy he fought 4 times. LMFAO.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-sp-sn-mayweather-pacquiao-judges-referee-20150421-story.html

Burt Clements has more than made up for his past goof on Pacquiao vs. Marquez I by now, so as long as he counts right, I'm good with all the judges and Kenny Bayless.

Just thanking God that nobody thought Russell Mora was a valid candidate.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Talk about ducking. After JMM put Manny in a semi-coma he wanted no parts of a rematch. IIRC he said no to one. He knew he got lucky. Manny was gettin in dat ass, got careless and paid the price. IIRC Manny was ahead on all cards.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Talk about ducking. After JMM put Manny in a semi-coma he wanted no parts of a rematch. IIRC he said no to one. He knew he got lucky. Manny was gettin in dat ass, got careless and paid the price. IIRC Manny was ahead on all cards.

http://remezcla.com/sports/suspicion-will-drug-testing-prevent-juan-manuel-marquez-from-facing-manny-pacquiao/

They said the rematch would only go on with the drug testing and he wanted no parts of that
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Ummm.... Is this fight gonna happen or not?

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12736671/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-contract-not-signed
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Ummm.... Is this fight gonna happen or not?

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12736671/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-contract-not-signed

Arum seems like a real bedwetter.

Manny pulled the draft off his Facebook?

I'm sure the right will happen but if arum caused this he should lose his license.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject:

LOL the fight isn't going to happen
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Damn shame if this keeps it from happening.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject:

The fight will happen. Fight contract was signed. The only contract that is not yet signed is between the promoter and MGM. Arum will sign the MGM contract tomorrow.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:

9 days before the fight? That is horrible business practices.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
9 days before the fight? That is horrible business practices.

Yup...so sick of reading all the back and forth between Ellorbe and Arum and Koncz. What they all need to do is STFU and get people tickets already...It's so petty and dumb, but from a straight business perspective, it's amateur!

Delays happen, yes, but everything seems so damn disorganized and at the end of the day, Floyd's company is the lead promoter and should just be handling this and being fair doing it. Whether they are or not, makes no difference to me personally, but business can't be conducted in an unprofessional and unorganized manner.

At the end of the day, I guarantee that Les Moonves hands people their asses if Mayweather and Top Rank don't get their acts together and just get everything moving forward.

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

Manny's quote in this article is pretty funny:

“He quit,” said Pacquiao, who was asked by a TV reporter, “Who quit?”
“He quit on the mitts,” Pacquiao responded, looking at his 55-year-old trainer.

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2015/04/22/1446561/pacquiao-cant-wait-megafight

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Harry Reid supposedly stepped in to help get everything squared up

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxing/deal-reached--so-tickets-for-mayweather-pacquiao-bout-on-sale-today-190839016.html

Yeah, there's no way he was letting the state lose that much money from what this fight is bringing. Between he and Les Moonves, I knew that whatever issues existed (if any), they'd make sure that whoever was being shady would just turn things around.

In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Are people still butt hurt over JMM making Manny count sheep? love them sour grapes
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

For those of you that will be in Vegas, check this out....Simulation to be either Floyd or Manny? That's cool.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article20182.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
Are people still butt hurt over JMM making Manny count sheep? love them sour grapes

No. Some people just don't want to admit he was probably on PEDs When he did it. He was offered a rematch with more stringent drug testing and declined
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:

No. Some people just don't want to admit he was probably on PEDs When he did it. He was offered a rematch with more stringent drug testing and declined

Are these the same people who didn't want to admit Manny was probably on PEDS when he was knocking people out? Yeah he also wanted more money that they didn't want to give and both had said this was the last fight between them before walking into the ring. The whole lucky punch thing is quite hilarious as well.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:

Are these the same people who didn't want to admit Manny was probably on PEDS when he was knocking people out? Yeah he also wanted more money that they didn't want to give and both had said this was the last fight between them before walking into the ring. The whole lucky punch thing is quite hilarious as well.

What evidence is there for either guy actually taking PED's? Both have tested clean their entire careers. Why do people resort to an explanation, simply because there was an accusation made by Floyd Mayweather Jr. that started the whole trend? I say, it's just an easy way for people to hate on whichever fighters they don't care for.

Truth is, people are crabs and love to bring down people to push themselves up (or their "favorite" athletes), and this is exactly why all of this has become any issue. Heck, let's look at all the current fighters that actually did test for PED's...Lamont Peterson, Andre Berto...then other top guys that tested positive for "enhancers" (whether it be weight loss drugs or other)...Chavez Jr., Bam Bam Rios, John Molina. All of these guys actually tested positive, yet they are all given a pass?

I refuse to bring down the elite guys in the sport, when they've been at the top for a long time for a reason. Heck, if we're going to do that, we could pick apart Floyd's reasoning for only wanting to fight in Las Vegas due to his need for lidocane injections for his hands. Or, is his undefeated streak really because he's been clean? Or, is the real reason he hasn't really knocked guys out is because he wants to hide the fact that he's used PED's in the past? We could go on and on and on of trying to make baseless accusations, but what good does that do at all?

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:

What evidence is there for either guy actually taking PED's? Both have tested clean their entire careers. Why do people resort to an explanation, simply because there was an accusation made by Floyd Mayweather Jr. that started the whole trend? I say, it's just an easy way for people to hate on whichever fighters they don't care for.

Truth is, people are crabs and love to bring down people to push themselves up (or their "favorite" athletes), and this is exactly why all of this has become any issue. Heck, let's look at all the current fighters that actually did test for PED's...Lamont Peterson, Andre Berto...then other top guys that tested positive for "enhancers" (whether it be weight loss drugs or other)...Chavez Jr., Bam Bam Rios, John Molina. All of these guys actually tested positive, yet they are all given a pass?

I refuse to bring down the elite guys in the sport, when they've been at the top for a long time for a reason. Heck, if we're going to do that, we could pick apart Floyd's reasoning for only wanting to fight in Las Vegas due to his need for lidocane injections for his hands. Or, is his undefeated streak really because he's been clean? Or, is the real reason he hasn't really knocked guys out is because he wants to hide the fact that he's used PED's in the past? We could go on and on and on of trying to make baseless accusations, but what good does that do at all?

Because it's all they have left.

But again, In_your_Eye gives a really good example of what frustrates me with some of the "Manny fans". They get butthurt because Floyd alludes or says that Manny was on PEDs...

then Manny comes out on ESPN Deportes and says JMM is too strong for someone that old and how much power he has now compared to other fights etc.. I mean cmon, I'm just asking for people to be objective.

A loss is a loss, move on with it, that was a great boxing series, take it for what it was.
In_your_Eye
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

For the record I give them the benefit of the doubt until they've been tested positive and who knows maybe down the line they will find something ala Marion Jones. Until then I'll give each guy their due respect as legends in the game.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

In_your_Eye wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:

I'm a manny fan. I you asked me yes or no I would say yes. I would say barry bonds was and he was one of my favorite baseball players. I only call them like I see them.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:
WindyCityLakerFan wrote:
In_your_Eye wrote:

Because it's all they have left.

But again, In_your_Eye gives a really good example of what frustrates me with some of the "Manny fans". They get butthurt because Floyd alludes or says that Manny was on PEDs...

then Manny comes out on ESPN Deportes and says JMM is too strong for someone that old and how much power he has now compared to other fights etc.. I mean cmon, I'm just asking for people to be objective.

A loss is a loss, move on with it, that was a great boxing series, take it for what it was.

I'd never justify Manny saying anything either, but it's the trickle effect and nowadays, it's a chain reaction of people in the sport making accusation after accusation. In the end, all it does is hurt their sport more and the sport that I've watched since I was a kid.

And you know me marga, even though I am a fan of Manny's, my love for the sport goes beyond that. Similar to how, I love the Lakers, but my love for basketball goes beyond the franchise. What I find most frustrating is that, people do tend to lean towards one side of the argument and regardless of points being made that are very valid, it falls on deaf ears / blind eyes. To me, not acknowledging points made that are very valid is just as bad as accusations...it becomes more deflection than an actual discussion and is more pointless than anything because both sides will end up seeing it their own way, regardless.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject:

NINE MORE DAYS TILL LINK Notice that second right hand buckled Maidana's knees

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject:

looks like oscar to me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 19 of 59
Jump to: