Durant undergoes another foot procedure
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Durant undergoes another foot procedure

Quote:
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Kevin Durant underwent a minor procedure to help reduce pain and discomfort in his surgically repaired right foot, according to Oklahoma City Thunder general manager Sam Presti.

Durant will be re-evaluated in a week. The expectation is he will return to play in the regular season.

Link

Is it time to start worrying about Durant's durability? Foot injuries like this tend to be a recurring issue, especially for 7-footers it seems (which Durant basically is). I'd be a little worried about giving him a max contract right about now.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully he can get this taken care of soon but i'd still give him the max as of today
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

The worst is hearing talk about Westbrook considered fot the MVP...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Tall men. Foot injuries. Not good.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:

Why? He's playing better than anyone in the league this season.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:

It's a bit concerning. Fortunately advances in medicine and surgical techniques ease the mind. I'd like to think they would have helped Bill Walton.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:

Maybe it's jus me, but I really think he is quite overrated.
His pushy impetuous style only leads to high numbers, because he takes the ball upcourt and hogs half of the possessions.
His shooting does not convince me, and I do not believe he will get so many times to the rim as he does in the regular season. The ball does not move well, with him at the helm, also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:

The voters aren't picking Weatbrook over Curry at this point.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:

Curry has already slipped to a comfortable second amongst the voters, to see him slide further wouldn't really be shocking.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject:

westbrook making a case that he is good enough to carry his own team
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
Maybe it's jus me, but I really think he is quite overrated.

It's not just you.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:

Curry has already slipped to a comfortable second amongst the voters, to see him slide further wouldn't really be shocking.

Are the Thunder even going to win 50 games? The voters almost never give it to guys who don't win. The Thunder haven't been winning this season. If they don't care much about team record, then wouldn't Anthony Davis run away with the award?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:

Are the Thunder even going to win 50 games? The voters almost never give it to guys who don't win. The Thunder haven't been winning this season. If they don't care much about team record, then wouldn't Anthony Davis run away with the award?

Maybe? They're playing way better than anyone else right now. It'll be tough

But wins aren't really the correlation to mvp, it's player of the months (it's hard to win player of the month if you aren't winning though), so let's look at the west, they've been better than the east to a fairly sizable advantage (and November is considered the least important historically for correlation).

November - Steph Curry, Runner up(s) - James Harden, Anthony Davis
December - James Harden, Runner up(s) - Steph Curry, Lamarcus Aldridge
January - James Harden, Runner up(s) - Klay Thompson
February Nominees - James Harden, Russell Westbrook (i'd bet on Russell)

Harden is way in front right now, it's certainly not guaranteed but that sort of performance (you've been better than everyone 3 out of 4 months, and when you're not, it's only just) gives one a sizable lead.

Now I'm not saying Russell will win, or that he's currently ahead of Curry, but even if he wins another after this one, while they still may not want to give him the win, voters putting him in 2nd ahead of Curry wouldn't shock me.

The east's winners have been Lowry, Butler, Atlanta starting 5, so the contest is out west.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:

But wins aren't really the correlation to mvp, it's player of the months (it's hard to win player of the month if you aren't winning though), so let's look at the west, they've been better than the east to a fairly sizable advantage (and November is considered the least important historically for correlation).

Harden is way in front right now, it's certainly not guaranteed but that sort of performance (you've been better than everyone 3 out of 4 months, and when you're not, it's only just) gives one a sizable lead.

Now I'm not saying Russell will win, or that he's currently ahead of Curry, but even if he wins another after this one, while they still may not want to give him the win, voters putting him in 2nd ahead of Curry wouldn't shock me.

The east's winners have been Lowry, Butler, Atlanta starting 5, so the contest is out west.

To be fair, Nash didn't wint it once in the 05/06 campaign and he stole the MVP. Kobe was tied with Lebron for 2 Players of the month.

People held the Lakers record against' Kobe. I understand since he played with a starting lineup with Smush (who was immediately cut by the Heat), Luke Walton (who was yeah, Luke Walton) and Chris Mihm who's greatest claim to fame was actually not being on the floor. Oh wait, while he was healthy, Laron Profit played a lot of minutes. Oh right, Sasha and Devin Green did too. Damn those guys had their best moments as Lakers but let's go with the narrative. KOBE MAKES EVERYONE AROUND HIM WORSE.

Damn, none of these guys were even good enough to hang in the league after. Like at all.

Literally other than Kobe and Lamar, it was (bleep) d-league gashes. So many people don't even realize just how freaking HORRIFIC our 'talent' was behind the first tow. Truly dudes that didn't even belong in the NBA.

Man, I pretty much loathe the NBA media and casual fan. Utter trash.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Telleris wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:

To be fair, Nash didn't wint it once in the 05/06 campaign and he stole the MVP. Kobe was tied with Lebron for 2 Players of the month.

People held the Lakers record against' Kobe. I understand since he played with a starting lineup with Smush (who was immediately cut by the Heat), Luke Walton (who was yeah, Luke Walton) and Chris Mihm who's greatest claim to fame was actually not being on the floor. Oh wait, while he was healthy, Laron Profit played a lot of minutes. Oh right, Sasha and Devin Green did too. Damn those guys had their best moments as Lakers but let's go with the narrative. KOBE MAKES EVERYONE AROUND HIM WORSE.

Damn, none of these guys were even good enough to hang in the league after. Like at all.

Literally other than Kobe and Lamar, it was (bleep) d-league gashes. So many people don't even realize just how freaking HORRIFIC our 'talent' was behind the first tow. Truly dudes that didn't even belong in the NBA.

Here's a graph for you, yes i mercilessly stole it from someone else, but its a correlation of players of the month vs first place votes and wins vs first place votes

http://i.imgur.com/8MxELev.jpg

For the maths, the correlation of potm vs wins is almost 3 times higher (60% vs 22%)

Yeah there are a few outliers, but it's pretty consistent vs not really at all, once you hit the higher range it's basically an automatic win.

Nash might well be that one outlier (which gives credence to Kobe's claim that the media stiffed him), and hell, Curry might be another as well, it might also be that there is a tolerance level for the winner, but they've never really had an issue putting people in with mediocre team records to the minor places which is my comment re Curry, if Curry isn't winning it, i don't think his team record will necessary keep him 2nd instead of 3rd.

Curry had a ton of early money, so he'll probably carry Vegas til the end, but part of the reason was they thought he would be the team's overwhelming best player, but he hasn't been.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

PREACH
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:

If the MVP voting were done today, I think it would come out: Harden, Curry, Lebron, Westbrook in that order.

Hard to imagine OKC winning enough games for Westbrook to get it. But I could see it coming to either Harden, Curry or Lebron depending on how teams play in the last quarter of the season.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

the two guys D Rose and Durant that will challenge LeBron in their prime are both now injury prone, go figure.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject:

RW continues to stake his claim as the best player in the league and MVP. Amazing that people say he is overrated.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject:

RW continues to stake his claim as the best player in the league and MVP. Amazing that people say he is overrated.

LeBron says hi.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

LeBron says hi.

RW says "I'd kick your ass in the Octagon."
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject:

I don't think many people doubt that Lebron is the best player in basketball, but he was pretty average for the first 3 months, and even now he's taking rest games as though he's a 36 yo.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
I don't think many people doubt that Lebron is the best player in basketball, but he was pretty average for the first 3 months, and even now he's taking rest games as though he's a 36 yo.

Less than a point away to be the league's top scorer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: