Lakers Lagging Behind on the Analytics Train
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:

But we have four guys from MIT
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject:

iggypop123 wrote:
petergr wrote:
I don't understand this blind ESPN bashing....

ESPN's pre-season forecast for current season...30 wins with 12th in West.
Actual ranking: 14th in West...on pace for 23 wins

ESPN's pre-season forecast for last season...36 wins with 12th in West
Actual ranking: 14th in West with 27 wins

Most of LG thought, Lakers will be in play-off race.

if bspn knew we'd have like 5 guys out for the season then i tip my hat

The team stunk even when they were relatively healthy. ESPN has actually been too kind.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject:

iggypop123 wrote:
petergr wrote:
I don't understand this blind ESPN bashing....

ESPN's pre-season forecast for current season...30 wins with 12th in West.
Actual ranking: 14th in West...on pace for 23 wins

ESPN's pre-season forecast for last season...36 wins with 12th in West
Actual ranking: 14th in West with 27 wins

Most of LG thought, Lakers will be in play-off race.

if bspn knew we'd have like 5 guys out for the season then i tip my hat

They've been over generous for many seasons now.

They didn't know we'd have 5 guys out for the season. They just had a much better pulse on this team's ability than many fans did that's all.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Without injuries, the team has mid thirties as an over under IMO. Even with, if they instructed scott to wring every possible win out, they probably have 5-6 more wins right now.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject:

Rudy and his son servings as some kind of analytics team is baffling to me. What is their mathematical background?

When i think of analytics guys, i think of guys like Friedman and Zaidi in the Dodgers front office. The Mavs and Spurs employ a lot of guys with strict math/economics backgrounds. Hinkie graduated at the top of Stanford Business school and worked for Bain Capital. I get that it's good to have basketball minds, but that's what the scouting department is for, right? That's what Mitch is for right?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Rudy and his son servings as some kind of analytics team is baffling to me. What is their mathematical background?

When i think of analytics guys, i think of guys like Friedman and Zaidi in the Dodgers front office. The Mavs and Spurs employ a lot of guys with strict math/economics backgrounds. Hinkie graduated at the top of Stanford Business school and worked for Bain Capital. I get that it's good to have basketball minds, but that's what the scouting department is for, right? That's what Mitch is for right?

If I have this correctly, their firm provides stats. The MIT guys do the sportsvu/analytical stuff.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

If I have this correctly, their firm provides stats. The MIT guys do the sportsvu/analytical stuff.

I don't think either Rudy or Trey are involved with the team anymore.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject:

play hard play tough...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

The encouraging part I was talking about guys is that our future coach, Madsen (if you've been reading the tea leaves), is the one involved in analytics. That's a good sign. I wouldn't want them using analytics now anyways. This team needs to lose to keep the pick. Implement them next year lol.

Aren't we also getting a new practice facility soon? If that thing is outfitted with all the latest data collection tech then that says all we need to know
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
play hard play tough...

The only metric Byron believes in is windsprints.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Wow, you guys don't get it. The front office is very quantitative. Haven't you ever read the odds table in The Daily Racing Form?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Mitch said that ESPN had no idea what the FO is doing, like most of their rankings this is more space filler.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Of course it doesn't really matter what they're doing with it when the coach just ignores it.

Bill Oram @billoram · 1h 1 hour ago
Of analytics, particularly SportVU, Kupchak told ESPN 710, "it’s of most use to a coaching staff." But Byron Scott says it's of no use.

Aaron Falk
‏@tribjazz
Byron Scott on analtyics: “I don’t knock people who believe in it. That’s their prerogative. But I’m just more of an old school type guy.”
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

At least they are giving the data to Maddog. Hopefully he is breaking it down and analyzing the trends. It might make him ready to step in when Scott flames out.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
At least they are giving the data to Maddog. Hopefully he is breaking it down and analyzing the trends. It might make him ready to step in when Scott flames out.

I've always liked Mark Madsen
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

do it mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

if you saw summer league he was awful. couldnt get the team to run a set.
jorkerjork
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Man, that's why Byron Scott is insufferable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Jeremy Lin remembers the packet. The Houston Rockets distributed it at season's end, an ocean of personalized data slimmed down to a few pages. It showed that the point guard was one of the NBA's best at driving and making plays at the rim, but that he also struggled shooting from the left wing and 3-pointers off the dribble.

"Things like that, I didn't know," Lin said. It helped shape his offseason training regimen.

Quote:
"[Byron Scott] told us a couple stats," Lin said, "but I don't know if they're necessarily that deep into analytics. They were stats about our efficiency when we score in pick-and-rolls versus isolations and some defensive numbers. But besides that, I haven't seen that much."

Quote:
"It's hard for me to believe that they're even close to fixing things right now, not given the results but given the way they're making decisions," said Jeff Ma, a predictive analytics expert for ESPN who has worked as an analytics consultant for several NBA teams.

Quote:
The Lakers rank third in percentage of shots taken from midrange, widely regarded as the least efficient area on the court, and in the bottom five in corner 3-pointers, among the most efficient. The Lakers have long had an offense -- especially in crunch time -- dominated by Bryant taking contested shots, even as analytics show open shooters to be the more efficient option, regardless of who is taking them. Similarly, in his heyday, Andrew Bynum was among the most efficient scorers in the league, but often lagged teammates in number of attempts.

Quote:
Despite Madsen's enthusiasm for the numbers, one analytics official familiar with the Lakers' operation said that Madsen's work is "not well-received" by Scott and the other coaches, and that any advanced stats the Lakers are using are "really, really basic."

Quote:
"Don't get me wrong -- I don't know that the Lakers need to be at the forefront of analytics usage," one analytics official said. "They have some underlying competitive advantages in terms of finances and ability to attract free agents -- in theory, though not in recent practice. They've demonstrated in the past dozen years that they can eschew analytics and be very successful."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12375351/nba-los-angeles-lakers-stuck-stone-age
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

Articles like this sometimes make me feel like Tommy Flanagan is running the Lakers.

"Yeah, we have an analytics team, but uh...they're secret. Nobody knows them. Yeah, yeah, and we sent someone to the Sloan Conference but he was in disguise! Yeah, that's the ticket..."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

This is the encouraging part. Madsen will use it. We just need him to get the gig now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

Seems like there will be an inevitable clash between Madsen/Scott...who will the Lakers back?

Also, interesting that Lin in Houston got the breakdown analytically speaking, while on the Lakers...yeah.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Seems like there will be an inevitable clash between Madsen/Scott...who will the Lakers back?

Also, interesting that Lin in Houston got the breakdown analytically speaking, while on the Lakers...yeah.

I think Madsen. They wanted to sign him before Scott, but they feared fan backlash
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject:

At least Mitch seems to be considering the value of analytics. Byron's "I'm old school" dinosaur act is getting really tiresome, not to mention audacious in the face of his horrific record, which is sub .300 going back to 2009-10.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
At least Mitch seems to be considering the value of analytics. Byron's "I'm old school" dinosaur act is getting really tiresome, not to mention audacious in the face of his horrific record, which is sub .300 going back to 2009-10.

Scott needs Sports VU and the "eye in the sky" to confirm that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: