Wiggins Locks up Harden
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Wiggins Locks up Harden

This probably didn't deserve a thread but whatever.

Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJnarXYrFSs#t=14

Watch his feet. He's moving them ridiculously fast -- its almost like he's just teleporting himself right to the perfect position 10 times per second. About as good defensive footwork as you can get. And he's doing it against probably the best one-on-one player in the league. And he's a rookie. Jeez man, this kid's going to be a monster.

Anyways, carry on

Last edited by AY2043 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject:

That was beautiful.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Damn, try than in 2K15 and Wiggins would have slid off the court and stumbled into some fans.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Damn, try than in 2K15 and Wiggins would have slid off the court and stumbled into some fans.

LOL. That pretty much sums up my on ball defense in that game.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject:

wiggins will be a mega star. cleveland made a huge mistake.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject:

Haha, I hope Cleveland is kicking themselves for the next decade plus for letting this kid go. Hope he has an awesome career.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Haha, I hope Cleveland is kicking themselves for the next decade plus for letting this kid go. Hope he has an awesome career.

More like the lakers regretting winning 3 or 4 more games last year. We could have had a shot at him if we only knew how to tank the correct way.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

More like the lakers regretting winning 3 or 4 more games last year. We could have had a shot at him if we only knew how to tank the correct way.

Cleveland won 33 games, the Lakers won 27, if you wanted their ping pong ball number, 7 more wins
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Cleveland won 33 games, the Lakers won 27, if you wanted their ping pong ball number, 7 more wins

Yeah that was a little strange like in crooked way. Cleveland wins the Lotto 3 times since losing Lebron... really David Stern
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Yeah that was a little strange like in crooked way. Cleveland wins the Lotto 3 times since losing Lebron... really David Stern

Dunno about you,. but I'd take #1 in 2012, and screw the other 3.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject:

Very impressive, there's a lot to like about Wiggins, but he's still got a ways to go before he can be a superstar, he still has concerning weaknesses. He should be an all-star, or near all-star quality player though. Rubio could be a major boost to him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:

Wiggins is going to be an all nba defender in a year or two. He's going to be a stud.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject:

This is getting a bit nutty. Wiggins has had an unimpressive rookie season, though he will probably win ROTY by default because his competitors all went down with injuries. He has an occasional good game, but that's about it. His defense has been poor. (Harden actually had a triple double in that game.) If you compare his production to other rookies in recent years who went on to become stars, it isn't pretty.

I'm not writing the kid off. Maybe he'll get it together next year. As of now, though, I don't see him as a budding superstar. He's a highlight reel creation, just like he was in high school.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This is getting a bit nutty. Wiggins has had an unimpressive rookie season, though he will probably win ROTY by default because his competitors all went down with injuries. He has an occasional good game, but that's about it. His defense has been poor. (Harden actually had a triple double in that game.) If you compare his production to other rookies in recent years who went on to become stars, it isn't pretty.

I'm not writing the kid off. Maybe he'll get it together next year. As of now, though, I don't see him as a budding superstar. He's a highlight reel creation, just like he was in high school.

I've always thought he'd be a great defender due to all his tools. Now offensively, he has a way to go before being considered a "star."
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I feel similarly about Wiggins (perhaps I'm slightly more positive on him) ...

Nevertheless, these kinds of unrealistic projections are symptomatic of ESPN (or Youtube) syndrome ... if you're under 35 years old at this point, you grew up having highlights aggregated and regurgitated at your feet ... witness all of the grown adults fawning over HS players and their Youtube mixtapes here ...

Unfortunately, this reality explains the worldview of much of our fanbase at the moment ... (#getoffmyfrontlawn)
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I've only seem him play us and his defense was great in both games. Harden hit some tough shots that game and got to the line a lot.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Nevertheless, these kinds of unrealistic projections are symptomatic of ESPN (or Youtube) syndrome ... if you're under 35 years old at this point, you grew up having highlights aggregated and regurgitated at your feet ... witness all of the grown adults fawning over HS players and their Youtube mixtapes here ...

That's so true. I remember the Wiggins highlight reel. He could really dunk if no one defended him.

I don't mean to rag on Wiggins. I've got nothing against him, and in fact I'd like to see him do well for the TWolves. That franchise deserves a break, for crying out loud.

However, this is a case in which stats and metrics tell a worrisome tale. I've seen 3-4 highlight reel quality sequences from Wiggins this year. He has shown a tendency to have big games when he is motivated -- he had monster games against Lebron and the Cavs both times they played. But his overall numbers are unimpressive. This is similar to his pattern at Kansas. This suggests that he has motivational issues. I'd rather have a young player with skills/experience issues than motivational issues. You can fix the former, but the latter may never go away.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

Wiggins moves rather well, doesn't he ? Nice to see defensive effort and ability of that level from a lottery pick player, especially coming late season when his team's been in the cellar after ten games.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

What? Yes Wiggins had a slow start to his rookie year but since 2015 started he's been averaging 18.5 PPG on 47% shooting. The kid is balling.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Wiggins moves rather well, doesn't he ? Nice to see defensive effort and ability of that level from a lottery pick player, especially coming late season when his team's been in the cellar after ten games.

Of course being the #1 pick in the hyped draft usually means folks want an alpha dog HOF player. But he has a lot of Scottie Pippen (different games of course) in him where he locks down players and can do a bit of everything. Still boggles my mind why Cavs/Asst GM Lebron wanted to trade him. He's the kind of guy that would be LBJ's Pippen, and oh, they'd have some cap space to get a guy like Love in the offseason too (with some maneuvering).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

What? Yes Wiggins had a slow start to his rookie year but since 2015 started he's been averaging 18.5 PPG on 47% shooting. The kid is balling.

He did shoot .471 for the month of January, but he regressed in February. He's averaging 15.9 in February, and that includes the 30 point game against Houston.

Anyway, if you make an apples to apples comparison (as opposed to cherry picking part of the season) with other recent highly touted rookies who turned out to be stars, it's not pretty.
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

He did shoot .471 for the month of January, but he regressed in February. He's averaging 15.9 in February, and that includes the 30 point game against Houston.

Anyway, if you make an apples to apples comparison (as opposed to cherry picking part of the season) with other recent highly touted rookies who turned out to be stars, it's not pretty.

Don't think about it too much. First year in the NBA.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wiggins Locks up Harden

AY2043 wrote:
This probably didn't deserve a thread but whatever.

Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJnarXYrFSs#t=14

Watch his feet. He's moving them ridiculously fast -- its almost like he's just teleporting himself right to the perfect position 10 times per second. About as good defensive footwork as you can get. And he's doing it against probably the best one-on-one player in the league. And he's a rookie. Jeez man, this kid's going to be a monster.

Anyways, carry on

Wow, that's some STELLAR D. He IS going to be a monster. He had literally no help, Harden had him completely isolated and simply had no answer to him. That's the kind of D that only MJ, Kobe, T-Mac and maybe LBJ could have scored on.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Yep Dammit!
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Of course being the #1 pick in the hyped draft usually means folks want an alpha dog HOF player. But he has a lot of Scottie Pippen (different games of course) in him where he locks down players and can do a bit of everything. Still boggles my mind why Cavs/Asst GM Lebron wanted to trade him. He's the kind of guy that would be LBJ's Pippen, and oh, they'd have some cap space to get a guy like Love in the offseason too (with some maneuvering).

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: