Wiggins Locks up Harden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
22 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Wiggins moves rather well, doesn't he ? Nice to see defensive effort and ability of that level from a lottery pick player, especially coming late season when his team's been in the cellar after ten games.

Of course being the #1 pick in the hyped draft usually means folks want an alpha dog HOF player. But he has a lot of Scottie Pippen (different games of course) in him where he locks down players and can do a bit of everything. Still boggles my mind why Cavs/Asst GM Lebron wanted to trade him. He's the kind of guy that would be LBJ's Pippen, and oh, they'd have some cap space to get a guy like Love in the offseason too (with some maneuvering).

The trade made sense to me. Wiggins seems a natural SF at each end of the court, much like LeBron. Why retain a #1 pick as backup for him ? With two starting-quality guards already on the roster at the time, and their fit unexplored, the Cavs moved Wiggins to fill the very empty PF slot with K-Love. They got a proven all-NBA guy who passes well, shoots the three well, and rebounds superbly. I'd have done it too, with a Cavs hat on.

but at this point, Lebron's best position is PF IMO. They'd have much better balance and much less bickering about whose getting the shots with Wiggins aboard

I think LeBron's not a PF, and that LOve's a better one. I also think LeBron is not interested in the lunch box work (picks, block outs, body-banging) that power forwards typically must do. I also think he's such a talented ball-handler and creative passer - when facing the hoop ready to drive and dish - that LeBron in alternative (PF) role puts the ball into the hands of poorer decision-makers too early and too often.

I don't think Lebron fits narrowly into a SF or PF slot. But then such divisions can be artificial. We've seen the NBA move to an age the 5 positions aren't locked into traditional roles. The SF and PF positions can be played in a lot of different ways. It's more about how the collection of talent on the team works together
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
70sdude wrote:
22 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Wiggins moves rather well, doesn't he ? Nice to see defensive effort and ability of that level from a lottery pick player, especially coming late season when his team's been in the cellar after ten games.

Of course being the #1 pick in the hyped draft usually means folks want an alpha dog HOF player. But he has a lot of Scottie Pippen (different games of course) in him where he locks down players and can do a bit of everything. Still boggles my mind why Cavs/Asst GM Lebron wanted to trade him. He's the kind of guy that would be LBJ's Pippen, and oh, they'd have some cap space to get a guy like Love in the offseason too (with some maneuvering).

The trade made sense to me. Wiggins seems a natural SF at each end of the court, much like LeBron. Why retain a #1 pick as backup for him ? With two starting-quality guards already on the roster at the time, and their fit unexplored, the Cavs moved Wiggins to fill the very empty PF slot with K-Love. They got a proven all-NBA guy who passes well, shoots the three well, and rebounds superbly. I'd have done it too, with a Cavs hat on.

but at this point, Lebron's best position is PF IMO. They'd have much better balance and much less bickering about whose getting the shots with Wiggins aboard

I think LeBron's not a PF, and that LOve's a better one. I also think LeBron is not interested in the lunch box work (picks, block outs, body-banging) that power forwards typically must do. I also think he's such a talented ball-handler and creative passer - when facing the hoop ready to drive and dish - that LeBron in alternative (PF) role puts the ball into the hands of poorer decision-makers too early and too often.

I don't think Lebron fits narrowly into a SF or PF slot. But then such divisions can be artificial. We've seen the NBA move to an age the 5 positions aren't locked into traditional roles. The SF and PF positions can be played in a lot of different ways. It's more about how the collection of talent on the team works together

Agreed. There's tons of cross-matches between the 2 and 3 going on since the late 90's. You never saw that in the 80s.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
70sdude wrote:
22 wrote:
70sdude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Agreed. There's tons of cross-matches between the 2 and 3 going on since the late 90's. You never saw that in the 80s.

Part of the reason that basketball is my favorite sport is that it's completely positionless. Sure, we've developed the idea of positions around particular skill sets, but in reality, anyone can do anything on the court. Sports like baseball and football have clearly defined positions, and you're not going to see a second baseman pitching (other than as a novelty in a blowout) or a Defensive Tackle throwing the football. In basketball, you can have PGs posting up and Centers jacking up 3's if you'd like.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Haha, I hope Cleveland is kicking themselves for the next decade plus for letting this kid go. Hope he has an awesome career.

More like the lakers regretting winning 3 or 4 more games last year. We could have had a shot at him if we only knew how to tank the correct way.

Cleveland won 33 games, the Lakers won 27, if you wanted their ping pong ball number, 7 more wins

Yeah that was a little strange like in crooked way. Cleveland wins the Lotto 3 times since losing Lebron... really David Stern

To be fair Kyrie was actually the Clippers pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Haha, I hope Cleveland is kicking themselves for the next decade plus for letting this kid go. Hope he has an awesome career.

More like the lakers regretting winning 3 or 4 more games last year. We could have had a shot at him if we only knew how to tank the correct way.

Actually they would have had to win 6 more games than they did to have a shot at Wiggins.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject:

annnnd Lebron getting mixed up by Harden. LoL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: