Rondo's not what Dallas thought he'd be
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Rondo/Scott is just about the worst pairing I could think of. Two proud men who would throw punches at each other, not even kidding about it.

Right on.... That means it's guaranteed that this marriage will happen. It's the Lakers' way. Drama sells tickets too.

1st FA in place. Rondo for 14 mil. Who's next. Let's see if LBJ starts more tweets about Love.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

Very stupid of Rondo to act like this in a contract year.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
jodeke wrote:
revgen wrote:
Carlisle has a bad rap with a lot of PG's in Dallas. Look up Kidd and Collison.

Carlisle is a coach who calls the plays. I'd rather the PG who knows his teammates and their tendencies run the show.

Carlisle doesn't call many plays at all, he's pretty much the pioneer of the no call free flowing system. His play calls are generally limited to when he sees cracks in a defense

That's not entirely true. He clashed with Jason Kidd about play calling. He gave in to Kidd after a rift. I don't know if management intervened or he himself relented.

He has to be comfortable with the PG's ability to call most of the offensive plays. He wasn't comfortable with Rondo making the calls.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
completely agree. Just say no to Rondo

Lol. I love your consistency in all matters Rondo and Love .

I'm with yah 100%.

I like to think of myself as the Punisher. And those two are common street thugs

jonnybravo wrote:
revgen wrote:
Carlisle has a bad rap with a lot of PG's in Dallas. Look up Kidd and Collison.

Dirk can't play with a ball dominant PG. He turns them into spot up shooters.

ZING!

Got 'em coach!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject:

I lived in Louisville, KY for a couple years back when Rondo was in high school... this is behavior he's had going back to his high school coach Doug Bibby and pretty much every coach he's had since then. Basic issue is Rondo does have a very high basketball IQ so a lot of times thinks he knows more than the people coaching him.

Doc Rivers is a great people manager so was perhaps able to handle him better than his other coaches... but Rondo is a guy who would be a chemistry concern for any team due to his attitude - don't see how Dallas couldn't see that.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

Rondo doesnt give a eff. Its not hard to figure out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
one of the most overrated players ever. Lakers game planned to not cover him in the finals.

And that is what will happen if he and Kobe were on the same team and after Kobe took control of the ball handling duties.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject:

mastersworddude wrote:
Don't get why Lakers fans want him so bad. He's not good enough to make up for his attitude.

Because he is going to be available and Kobe wants him on the team. I agree that he's not a good fit.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Funny how you lakers fans are so anti rondo yet he may be the only option you have at point guard next year and beyond. Its not like you are getting anything better cross R jackson and Drgic of the list.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
Funny how you lakers fans are so anti rondo yet he may be the only option you have at point guard next year and beyond. Its not like you are getting anything better cross R jackson and Drgic of the list.

You Laker fans? Who's fan are you?

Rondo's not the player he was when the Celtics won a ship. He needs a coach similar to Rivers to be productive. Scott's not up to the task.

He's not worth the monetary or chemistry problems he'd cause.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

Not if he wants a 4 year deal.

I'd rather punt on the PG position and get someone like Conley in 2016 then Rondo in 2015 at 4 years.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

We have a PG, not sure what you are talking about.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Jalen Rose said on his podcast Rondo won't be back in Dallas next year. Rose is usually right with his personnel predictions. Called it a square peg in a round hole.

He sees Rondo going to us

Just stay far away Mitch and Jim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

The question isn't whether Rondo is the best point guard option next year or the year after. It could well make sense to have a lesser point guard and spend our resources on improving a different position.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

Some things have negative value, nothing is better than those things, Rondo is one of those things

Heck he may end up at the Lakers, but he's not getting anything close to a max contract to do that.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject:

I agree somewhat that rondo's lack of shooting and sometimes attitube is a neg to having him, but to flat out say things like " stay far away" etc... really? You lost out on just about ever single FA point guard plus a vetoed trade for a top PG, yet you bash Rondo? Kobe has said he wants to play with the guy and from all reports rondo seems very open to that ideal(more so than what other stars are willing to admit or not admit). R Jackson ( who the lakers Fo wanted no need to play like you didnt) is gone to Det who will macth any offer for him. Dragic is gone to south beach with that slick car salesmen. Rondo at this point (no pun) is the best viable option this summer. Unless you draft some superstar stud but from the looks of it the Sixers might be making that pick.

Rondo didnt wanna be in dallas in the 1st place, boston wasnt going to trade him to the lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject:

I would rather wait to get a new PG in 2016 (and after kobe retires) than to commit to a 4 year deal with rondo, even if it's under the max.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject:

Rondo will command to high a salary. I wouldn't want to get him at the expense of having enough to get a decent center and small forward.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Rondo will command to high a salary. I wouldn't want to get him at the expense of having enough to get a decent center and small forward.

Yup. And 4 years too.

Go with Clarkson/(Patty Mills would be a trade candidate)/use a late draft pick to take a flyer on a PG.

Go for Conley in 2016, and other PGs that are a better bang for the buck than Rondo.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I would rather wait to get a new PG in 2016 (and after kobe retires) than to commit to a 4 year deal with rondo, even if it's under the max.

It's remarkable how much he has diminished during what should have been his prime. The injury appears to be part of it, but he was already declining. He was once a top ten PG. I'm not sure that he's top twenty now. The metrics say that he isn't top thirty, but that may be misleading due to the circumstances.

For a rebuilding team, he wouldn't have much value. He isn't a star except by reputation, and he isn't exactly a role model for young players. His interest in us is probably driven by the fact that we are going to have a bunch of money to spend. I don't see the fit, regardless of the price tag.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

Another injury prone athletic point guard:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/davisba01.html

Scroll your eyes from the age column to the rest of the stats.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

Rondo was an absolutely perfect fit for Boston during those years. Older vets who could little bro him to keep him in line. Set up guy for players whose ability to create was diminishing. Ability to penetrate and kick to guys who could shoot. Didn't care about scoring. Spearheading the defense in the back court. Injection of crazy athleticism and toughness.

He's definitely declined and his attitude is hurting him, but with what he's good at and weak at it's just hard to find a good fit for him on a lot of teams.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

Which team do you think is going to pay Rondo a high salary? I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him drop to under 10.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Which team do you think is going to pay Rondo a high salary? I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him drop to under 10.

In a rational world, that would make perfect sense. The NBA free agent market does not exist in such a world. I will set the over/under at 4 years/$50M. Are you picking over or under?
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I say his market is 10-12. Perhaps they talk him down to 4 yrs at 10.5 mil (team option for 4th year)to get another FA. Lowry was a budding all-star before he signed a similar contract.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: