Walton

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Walton

Fun interview to read:

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/02/22/bill-walton-interview-espn-grateful-dead-media-circus
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject:

I love Walton. I think he is a legendary personality and he always entertains me.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject:

best when he was beside Lawler ........
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:

He's a one of a kind. At Bruin Gold, I've penned many times that he's a gadfly and a knucklehead, but he's OUR knucklehead.

Go Bruins
Go Lakers
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject:

He's the goofy whacked out uncle that for some reason everyone likes.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject:

THROW IT DOWN BIG MAN!!
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
THROW IT DOWN BIG MAN!!

ONE TIME!!

The best days were Walton, Snapper Jones and Marv Albert on NBC.

I wish he would replace stu lantz as laker commentator.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
He's a one of a kind. At Bruin Gold, I've penned many times that he's a gadfly and a knucklehead, but he's OUR knucklehead.

Go Bruins
Go Lakers

Redhead has some things to say about current state of UCLA basketball:

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:

You didn't like Snapper treating him like his moron friend? They got obnoxious toward the end of the NBC era, which unfortunately coincided with the Lakers being on NBC every weekend.

There was a funny exchange between him and Snapper once where a flustered Bill replied, "Balderdash..." to which Snapper and the other guy derisively laughed (at Bill being a fuddy-duddy who would say balderdash).

Chick did 4-5 gms in the 92 Olympics (on that "Triple Cast" PPV package) with Snapper as his color commentator. He kept calling him Stu -- the Steve/Stu thing confused him. Snapper was a doppelganger of Stu, partly because of the obvious, but not completely. The same basic interjections, same deep voice, same deep chuckle to Chick's jokes, played along with Chick in the same way Stu used to. EG: A foreign player named Jose was arguing a call and Chick replied, "No way, Jose!..." Snapper replies with a Stulaugh. The longer you watched, the more you would forget it was Snapper and NOT Stu sitting by Chick as usual. Only thing Snapper didn't know yet was to not bother correcting Chick's minor name mistakes.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Go Bruins
Go Lakers

Yes he does, and he's in a unique position to make those observations too. I have no problem with his persona. He's no apolitical color man and I think he's always seen himself a gadfly. I think he even enjoys sticking his finger in the ribs of someone that he thinks needs jabbing. Of course, he's still (somewhat blindly) resentful for UCLA's never having approached him for a serious role after his playing days; he'd never admit it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:

That's the first time I've heard an announcer question a program's lack of elan.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

You didn't like Snapper treating him like his moron friend? They got obnoxious toward the end of the NBC era, which unfortunately coincided with the Lakers being on NBC every weekend.

There was a funny exchange between him and Snapper once where a flustered Bill replied, "Balderdash..." to which Snapper and the other guy derisively laughed (at Bill being a fuddy-duddy who would say balderdash).

Chick did 4-5 gms in the 92 Olympics (on that "Triple Cast" PPV package) with Snapper as his color commentator. He kept calling him Stu -- the Steve/Stu thing confused him. Snapper was a doppelganger of Stu, partly because of the obvious, but not completely. The same basic interjections, same deep voice, same deep chuckle to Chick's jokes, played along with Chick in the same way Stu used to. EG: A foreign player named Jose was arguing a call and Chick replied, "No way, Jose!..." Snapper replies with a Stulaugh. The longer you watched, the more you would forget it was Snapper and NOT Stu sitting by Chick as usual. Only thing Snapper didn't know yet was to not bother correcting Chick's minor name mistakes.

just hearing him drop line like "Look at the tremendous leaping abilities of Eric Piatkowski as he snatches that rebound from Shaq"

Piatkowski would be the only one under the basket and Shaquille would be running back on D at half court ......

classic Walton

Snapper and Walton were classic on NBC .... just great television. Usta love hearing that theme song come on.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

That's the first time I've heard an announcer question a program's lack of elan.

Heh heh, he's got a creative mind. I don't think anyone should have too much of a problem with his criticisms. He's got the credentials and clearly wants what's best for the program.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

I never knew Chick did Olympics. And Snapper was with him? This is amazing. There are probably like three people in the world who remember that, and only 1 who could ever compare Snapper to Stu like that. Awesome.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:

just hearing him drop line like "Look at the tremendous leaping abilities of Eric Piatkowski as he snatches that rebound from Shaq"

Piatkowski would be the only one under the basket and Shaquille would be running back on D at half court ......

classic Walton

Snapper and Walton were classic on NBC .... just great television. Usta love hearing that theme song come on.

I remember the lakers vs kings, I think in the 2002, WCF where the lakers were playing like utter garbage, with terrible passing and turnovers galore. It was quiet for a few moments as they were heading to commercial break and he breaks the silence with all sincerity.....'Lindsey Hunter is making Deavean George look like John Stockton out there'. the timing was just awesome.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject:

He's entertaining and he knows the game but he really needs brought back to earth a few times too many. I'm watching the AZ/Cal game, he does a 5 minute review of a vacation and his dog Cortez was mentioned at least 6 times. Love the play by play sarcastically throwing in part of a play here and there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: