Official Rajon Rondo Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
Here's an interesting twist to the Rondo ordeal. It is overwhelming the anti-Rondo responses in this thread. But would any of you reconsider Rondo in the following scenario:

Rondo's value has undoubtedly taken a huge hit this season. This bodes bad for Rondo since he is in a contract year. His lack of a good fit in Dallas means that he will more than likely test the waters of free agency. With the TV deal imminent, most free agents will more than likely be signing short term deals as most would want to take advantage of the pay raise that the TV deals will be providing.

How would you feel if Rondo signs a short term deal. Let's say 2 years $15 million (with a player option after the first)? This allows Rondo to prove he's still got it (if he does), and then cash in on his big payday when the TV deals kick in.

Tell me why the Lakers wouldn't do this?
Tell me why Rondo wouldn't do this?

He's an ass and cancer to the team....it's not about money, he would make the Lakers worst for just being here...

So, NO.

We just just post a bannar on LG that says; SAY NO TO RONDO !! or something like that...lol
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
Here's an interesting twist to the Rondo ordeal. It is overwhelming the anti-Rondo responses in this thread. But would any of you reconsider Rondo in the following scenario:

Rondo's value has undoubtedly taken a huge hit this season. This bodes bad for Rondo since he is in a contract year. His lack of a good fit in Dallas means that he will more than likely test the waters of free agency. With the TV deal imminent, most free agents will more than likely be signing short term deals as most would want to take advantage of the pay raise that the TV deals will be providing.

How would you feel if Rondo signs a short term deal. Let's say 2 years $15 million (with a player option after the first)? This allows Rondo to prove he's still got it (if he does), and then cash in on his big payday when the TV deals kick in.

Tell me why the Lakers wouldn't do this?
Tell me why Rondo wouldn't do this?

He's an ass and cancer to the team....it's not about money, he would make the Lakers worst for just being here...

So, NO.

We just just post a bannar on LG that says; SAY NO TO RONDO !! or something like that...lol

Exactly he would put this team behind by another two years. Don't do it Mitch!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject:

How about 2 years, $5 million each

1 million dollar bonus added each for:

shooting above 45 % fg
shooting above 80 % ft
less than 5 technical and flagrant fouls total in a season
minimum 50 games played
not throwing his coach, team, or Laker organization under the bus (the shut your hole clause)

add in bonus for

reaching 2nd round of playoffs
making all star team
fully participating in community activities, hospital visits, etc.

That's how I'd pay Rondo $12-13 million a year.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

shooting above 45 % fg
shooting above 80 % ft
minimum 50 games played
not throwing his coach, team, or Laker organization under the bus (the shut your hole clause)

add in bonus for

making all star team

Does the NBA even allow incentive driven contracts like this? I don't think they do seeing as how all NBA contracts are guaranteed contracts. But I might be wrong.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I actually think Rondo and Kobe would be an awesome combo, it's just a question of how much time they would have to play together. If Kobe is looking at hanging around another couple of years - and - will accept the fact that Rondo will need the ball in his hands, then it would work out great. Rondo would also get a guy like Julius Randle some great looks along with a guy like Ryan Kelly.

Kevin Durant is a pipe dream as long as Kobe is here... it's the Center slot that has me scratching my head, our current one, Jordan Hill seems to be taking longer and longer jumpers, it's like he's been moving 6 inches further out for every month they play this season...
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

As long as rondo is willing to sign jordan hill money, I am all for it. I miss a point guard that can get in the lane and distribute right on the money passes. Clarkson is nice but he does not have the vision of rondo, but rondo and clarkson at the guards will be a very good defensive combo, IMO.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

shooting above 45 % fg
shooting above 80 % ft
minimum 50 games played

add in bonus for

making all star team

Does the NBA even allow incentive driven contracts like this? I don't think they do seeing as how all NBA contracts are guaranteed contracts. But I might be wrong.

From Larry's CBAfaq:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q74

"74. Can incentives be built into a contract? How do they apply to team salary?

There are three categories of allowable incentives: performance, academic/physical achievement, and extra promotional. The latter two categories are always included in the player's salary and team salary amounts. Performance incentives are classified as either "likely to be achieved" or "not likely to be achieved," with only the likely incentives included in the player's salary and team salary amounts. The determination of whether an incentive is likely or unlikely is based on whether the criterion was achieved in the previous season. For example, if a player had seven assists per game the previous season, then an incentive based on seven assists per game would be classified as likely to be achieved, but one based on eight assists per game would be classified as not likely.

If either the league or players association feels that the previous season does not fairly predict the performance in the current season, then a jointly-selected expert determines whether the default classification should be overruled. This can happen when the player was injured the previous season. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically if the incentives are well within reason for the player it will be counted against the cap, otherwise it won't. With that being the guideline, that's why no one would sign an incentive laden contract with the exception of players with an injury history who build in incentives based on games played or something to that affect (a la Bynum with Cleveland).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Everyday this thread isn't locked, I'm killing 3 bananas

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
As long as rondo is willing to sign jordan hill money, I am all for it. I miss a point guard that can get in the lane and distribute right on the money passes. Clarkson is nice but he does not have the vision of rondo, but rondo and clarkson at the guards will be a very good defensive combo, IMO.

With rondo and kobe you have two guys who would monopolize the shot clock neutralizing others.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:

LOL! Rondo isn't signing some incentive laden contract. He MIGHT take enough of a pay cut to bring in Kevin Love... ??? I'm not saying Kevin Love is some kind of savior but that would be an interesting, quirky group, Rondo, Kobe, ?, Julius?, Love at the Center slot? or Julius actually playing some SF? The Snake is obviously our backup PG for next season so geez, at least THAT SLOT is secure!
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

With rondo and kobe you have two guys who would monopolize the shot clock neutralizing others.

Agree, but rondo seems to a guy Kobe will accept to give handle the ball more. For the fact that he can really run a team. He can't shoot a lick but can play Def, reb and pass with the best on the NBA.

Rondo, Clarkson, Kobe, Randle, Gasol is a my pipe dream this off season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Agree, but rondo seems to a guy Kobe will accept to give handle the ball more. For the fact that he can really run a team. He can't shoot a lick but can play Def, reb and pass with the best on the NBA.

Sounds like what folks said about Nash. Fast forward and nash is playing Steve Kerr.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Uh no, this is current Rondo with a ton of injuries. He's probably not the same player from 4-5 years ago. We might as well trade for D. Rose too
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
I actually think Rondo and Kobe would be an awesome combo, it's just a question of how much time they would have to play together. If Kobe is looking at hanging around another couple of years - and - will accept the fact that Rondo will need the ball in his hands, then it would work out great. Rondo would also get a guy like Julius Randle some great looks along with a guy like Ryan Kelly.

Kevin Durant is a pipe dream as long as Kobe is here... it's the Center slot that has me scratching my head, our current one, Jordan Hill seems to be taking longer and longer jumpers, it's like he's been moving 6 inches further out for every month they play this season...

An awesome combo on the DL is likely correct with their past few seasons.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
70sdude wrote:
This thread doesn't belong in the Lakers Lounge, not until he's more closely linked.

You need to pay better attention. There is a lot of speculation surrounding Rondo and the Lakers. The tension between him and his current head coach have only stoked those flames.

As much as many of us are apprehensive or even hate the idea of Rondo joining the Lakers, he still deserves a thread here. The same way guys like Ty Lawson, Reggie Jackson and Loul Deng all had their own threads. Don't even get me started with the infamous Kevin Garnett and Marcus Banks threads of years past!

Nope. not 'til he's a Laker. Until then he's just a slow news cycle fodder-of-the-day for the other forums: General Discussion, Trades, etc.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Sounds like what folks said about Nash. Fast forward and nash is playing Steve Kerr.

We got Nash way pass his prime. Plus Nash became kerr like because he cant move and go to where he wanted to go on the court due to injuries. For every great pass nash made he also allowed the same points on the other end as a Laker. Rondo can still play, defend, pass and handle the rock by watching his highlights, plus he is still in his prime. As much as I wish we can get a Durant, Westbrook or AD those will be slim chances.
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Uh no, this is current Rondo with a ton of injuries. He's probably not the same player from 4-5 years ago. We might as well trade for D. Rose too

I'm less worried about the fact that Rondo is a little pu$&@ and terrible teammate. I'm mostly concerned with the talent level. This guy wasn't even a top 12 pg in the east, he's probably the least talented even among back ups in the west. I mean I'd hate to see him try to go up against a Clarkson or a Lin or even a Ronnie Price. He would get absolutely torched on D, and then just pass around the perimeter on O. All the while being a non threat for floor spacing from the perimeter
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
70sdude wrote:
This thread doesn't belong in the Lakers Lounge, not until he's more closely linked.

You need to pay better attention. There is a lot of speculation surrounding Rondo and the Lakers. The tension between him and his current head coach have only stoked those flames.

As much as many of us are apprehensive or even hate the idea of Rondo joining the Lakers, he still deserves a thread here. The same way guys like Ty Lawson, Reggie Jackson and Loul Deng all had their own threads. Don't even get me started with the infamous Kevin Garnett and Marcus Banks threads of years past!

Nope. not 'til he's a Laker. Until then he's just a slow news cycle fodder-of-the-day for the other forums: General Discussion, Trades, etc.

You should look to create your own Lakers forum so that you can control all threads since you obviously are against all the threads I mentioned above, seeing as how none of them became Lakers...

Now back on topic:
An interesting article updating Rondo's suspension and current frustration (LINK).
Quote:
"I just got built-up frustration," said Rondo, who has had a couple of long individual meetings with Carlisle since their blowup. "I take a lot of the blame for what I've been doing on the court, but just a little frustrated.

The one thing I do like about Rondo is his desire to win. It's refreshing to see his frustration and recognition of his poor play this season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

We got Nash way pass his prime. Plus Nash became kerr like because he cant move and go to where he wanted to go on the court due to injuries. For every great pass nash made he also allowed the same points on the other end as a Laker. Rondo can still play, defend, pass and handle the rock by watching his highlights, plus he is still in his prime. As much as I wish we can get a Durant, Westbrook or AD those will be slim chances.

My point is that everyone thought that kobe would surely defer to the great Nash. Be it age or injury (nash was healthy the 4 seasons before we got him) kobe was uncomfortable playing off ball. We played best when kobe took the point guard duties away from him. At least Nash could shoot. What can rondo do off ball?
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Players in their prime, especially guards, do NOT shoot close to 30% from the freethrow line. As for defense, the only place you can see his these days is in highlights...from 3 years ago.

On the bright side, he's known as a horrible teammate who will clash with anyone anywhere and any time.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

Is that you, Colin Cowherd?
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

My point is that everyone thought that kobe would surely defer to the great Nash. Be it age or injury (nash was healthy the 4 seasons before we got him) kobe was uncomfortable playing off ball. We played best when kobe took the point guard duties away from him. At least Nash could shoot. What can rondo do off ball?

We r talking about Nash that got injured very early in his lakers career and was not same player. Not really a very big Rondo fan cause he could not shoot a lick, but for the right money I just don't mind him running the team. But if we can get Russell on the draft screw Rondo. Russell and Clarkson is something to build upon for the Lakers.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:

I'm not surprised if some people want this guy. People wanted Gilbert Arenas, T-Mac, Odom and Bynum when those guys were clearly washed up.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
12 wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
tyusedney1 wrote:
byron and kobe are both very high on rondo. but then again, they're also very high on headofsnake

Kobe also wanted us to trade Bynum for an aging Jason Kidd, so eh.

And had we done that, we might have had one more title (2008).
Bynum wasnt exactly a difference maker in any of the Lakers playoff series. It's all conjecture, but Kidd might have actually been MUCH MUCH better for us. Especially since in 2011, we would have had him instead of effing Dallas. Possibly going for a 4peat. I was always grilled for not liking Bynum, but I still stand by my opinion. Guy was and is a douche and a waste of god given height.

I doubt it. Gasol got outmuscled against Perkins. Kidd wouldn't have changed that but Bynum did in 2010 because Perkins had to cover him more often. Our team got outmuscled in 2008, but in 2010 that was not the case at all. It could have been however if Bynum wasn't there. Bynum was also huge in the first round against OKC in 2010 and played Dwight well in the Finals.

I don't like him either but I think Bynum was important in the playoffs.

Also, if Kidd was a Laker, then wouldn't that mean no Fisher? And maybe Kobe doesn't make those trade demands. I actually think in some ways Kobe and his trade demands were possibly a good thing because they sent a message to the rest of the team that being mediocre was completely unacceptable.

You're remembering this incorrectly. In 2009 finals against Dwight, Bynum was a no show with 6 points and 4 rebounds a game usually being close to fouling out by the 3rd quarter. It was Pau and Lamar who contained Dwight. In 2010, Bynum was again a no show with the averages of 7 and 5. While Pau and Lamar again did the heavy lifting.

You're correct in the fact that Pau got outmuscled in 2008, and like I said, it's all conjecture, but I believe that if we had Kidd on our side, that might have been 3 or 4 more buckets or 3 pointers on our scoreboard during game 2 and 4, and that series goes an entire different way. Plus the officiating was abysmal in that whole series and maybe a league veteran and hall of gamer might have influenced the refs to call the series more objectively. But again, it's just my opinion.
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

RONDO i think can help the LAKERS. Not really worrying about anything from him because playing alongside KOBE & Lakers spotlight might somewhat put him into perspective. But at the right price. Not to overpay him.

How about the positive things he can bring to the team? RONDO is a top assist guy! What that means? He will be loved by his team mates because he shares the Ball & make you look good. Thats what the Lakers lacking ever since Magic Johnson retires...a dominant passing point guard. Something that we thought we can get from Steve Nash.

It can be a good start for the Franchise w/ Rondo, Randle, Clarkson, Ed Davis, Top rookie C, Top FA's + KOBE's last remaining year...

But if the Lakers can land a Top Rookie PG then they might not get Rondo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 7 of 72
Jump to: