Official Rajon Rondo Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Rondo hasn't been "worth it" since his rookie k.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

jankobe wrote:
RONDO i think can help the LAKERS. Not really worrying about anything from him because playing alongside KOBE & Lakers spotlight might somewhat put him into perspective. But at the right price. Not to overpay him.

How about the positive things he can bring to the team? RONDO is a top assist guy! What that means? He will be loved by his team mates because he shares the Ball & make you look good. Thats what the Lakers lacking ever since Magic Johnson retires...a dominant passing point guard. Something that we thought we can get from Steve Nash.

It can be a good start for the Franchise w/ Rondo, Randle, Clarkson, Ed Davis, Top rookie C, Top FA's + KOBE's last remaining year...

But if the Lakers can land a Top Rookie PG then they might not get Rondo.

Oh man, can we just put this phrase to bed?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:

jankobe wrote:
RONDO i think can help the LAKERS. Not really worrying about anything from him because playing alongside KOBE & Lakers spotlight might somewhat put him into perspective. But at the right price. Not to overpay him.

How about the positive things he can bring to the team? RONDO is a top assist guy! What that means? He will be loved by his team mates because he shares the Ball & make you look good. Thats what the Lakers lacking ever since Magic Johnson retires...a dominant passing point guard. Something that we thought we can get from Steve Nash.

It can be a good start for the Franchise w/ Rondo, Randle, Clarkson, Ed Davis, Top rookie C, Top FA's + KOBE's last remaining year...

But if the Lakers can land a Top Rookie PG then they might not get Rondo.

Rondo has never been loved by his teammates.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Everyday this thread isn't locked, I'm killing 3 bananas

Lawrence Tanter in October: "Starting at point guard, out of the University of Kentucky, standing at 6'1", number 9, Rajon Rondooooo"

pluebot
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Rondo is a great player and most probably shine when playoff time comes in dallas but he isn't fit now on the Lakers because I doubt the Lakers will be on the hunt for playoff next season.
But if he can replace Jeremy Lin I would be glad to welcome him
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jankobe wrote:
...playing alongside KOBE & Lakers

I couldn't agree more. This team is not being built around or for Kobe whatsoever.

I personally cannot wait for Kobe to retire so that we can move on and especially so that we can lose all the Kobe fans here.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Sign Rondo. We might as well get a jump start on Team Tank for next year. Top 3 pick here we come.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
Here's an interesting twist to the Rondo ordeal. It is overwhelming the anti-Rondo responses in this thread. But would any of you reconsider Rondo in the following scenario:

Rondo's value has undoubtedly taken a huge hit this season. This bodes bad for Rondo since he is in a contract year. His lack of a good fit in Dallas means that he will more than likely test the waters of free agency. With the TV deal imminent, most free agents will more than likely be signing short term deals as most would want to take advantage of the pay raise that the TV deals will be providing.

How would you feel if Rondo signs a short term deal. Let's say 2 years $15 million (with a player option after the first)? This allows Rondo to prove he's still got it (if he does), and then cash in on his big payday when the TV deals kick in.

Tell me why the Lakers wouldn't do this?
Tell me why Rondo wouldn't do this?

finally.. someone with rational reasoning skills.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

12 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
12 wrote:
Spoolxx wrote:
tyusedney1 wrote:
byron and kobe are both very high on rondo. but then again, they're also very high on headofsnake

Kobe also wanted us to trade Bynum for an aging Jason Kidd, so eh.

And had we done that, we might have had one more title (2008).
Bynum wasnt exactly a difference maker in any of the Lakers playoff series. It's all conjecture, but Kidd might have actually been MUCH MUCH better for us. Especially since in 2011, we would have had him instead of effing Dallas. Possibly going for a 4peat. I was always grilled for not liking Bynum, but I still stand by my opinion. Guy was and is a douche and a waste of god given height.

I doubt it. Gasol got outmuscled against Perkins. Kidd wouldn't have changed that but Bynum did in 2010 because Perkins had to cover him more often. Our team got outmuscled in 2008, but in 2010 that was not the case at all. It could have been however if Bynum wasn't there. Bynum was also huge in the first round against OKC in 2010 and played Dwight well in the Finals.

I don't like him either but I think Bynum was important in the playoffs.

Also, if Kidd was a Laker, then wouldn't that mean no Fisher? And maybe Kobe doesn't make those trade demands. I actually think in some ways Kobe and his trade demands were possibly a good thing because they sent a message to the rest of the team that being mediocre was completely unacceptable.

You're remembering this incorrectly. In 2009 finals against Dwight, Bynum was a no show with 6 points and 4 rebounds a game usually being close to fouling out by the 3rd quarter. It was Pau and Lamar who contained Dwight. In 2010, Bynum was again a no show with the averages of 7 and 5. While Pau and Lamar again did the heavy lifting.

You're correct in the fact that Pau got outmuscled in 2008, and like I said, it's all conjecture, but I believe that if we had Kidd on our side, that might have been 3 or 4 more buckets or 3 pointers on our scoreboard during game 2 and 4, and that series goes an entire different way. Plus the officiating was abysmal in that whole series and maybe a league veteran and hall of gamer might have influenced the refs to call the series more objectively. But again, it's just my opinion.

I always thought Bynum had a bigger impact than the stats showed in those series. If he did things like change shots at the rim (because opponents worried about shots being blocked), played good D on Dwight, kept Perkins off Gasol for parts of the game, and even made good fouls on defense, then his impact would have been significant. One difference in 2010 was the Lakers were better defensively and far more physical against Boston than the 2008 team. Part of that was Artest, part of it was Gasol got stronger, but also part of it was Bynum being in there, even if he was less than 100 percent.

I've always thought Kidd was overrated on these boards. He did win a title in 2011 but wasn't a huge part of that team. People thought he was going to make a much bigger impact right away in Dallas and he was a big disappointment there for a while. In fact I see a lot of PGs get overrated on this forum.

Last edited by Steve007 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
As long as rondo is willing to sign jordan hill money, I am all for it. I miss a point guard that can get in the lane and distribute right on the money passes. Clarkson is nice but he does not have the vision of rondo, but rondo and clarkson at the guards will be a very good defensive combo, IMO.

With rondo and kobe you have two guys who would monopolize the shot clock neutralizing others.

Agree, but rondo seems to a guy Kobe will accept to give handle the ball more. For the fact that he can really run a team. He can't shoot a lick but can play Def, reb and pass with the best on the NBA.

Rondo, Clarkson, Kobe, Randle, Gasol is a my pipe dream this off season.

Sounds like what folks said about Nash. Fast forward and nash is playing Steve Kerr.

We got Nash way pass his prime. Plus Nash became kerr like because he cant move and go to where he wanted to go on the court due to injuries. For every great pass nash made he also allowed the same points on the other end as a Laker. Rondo can still play, defend, pass and handle the rock by watching his highlights, plus he is still in his prime. As much as I wish we can get a Durant, Westbrook or AD those will be slim chances.

My point is that everyone thought that kobe would surely defer to the great Nash. Be it age or injury (nash was healthy the 4 seasons before we got him) kobe was uncomfortable playing off ball. We played best when kobe took the point guard duties away from him.

that's not true. 1st of all, nash got hurt. secondly, the reason nash was playing more of the steve kerr role was because of the offense mike brown put into place, that didn't suit nash's strength. it was gonna be the same way, if the lakers had hired phil. but with nash, kobe said himself that he was happy nash was a laker because he could play off the ball and be a shooting guard again. nash was the person that was uncomfortable in that offense, that he expressed.

Last edited by Outspoken on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
petergr wrote:
Sign Kobe and his friend Rondo to max extensions and bring back Phil. They will give everything a win multiple championships. Do it Mitch.
Multiple championships , at this point of his career I'll be happy if Kobe can make it through 70+games healthy next season.
While they're at it, they should bring back Lamar, Metta, Bynum, Sasha (to make the last 2 free throws), Farmar, and Space Cadet to finish putting the band back together. There's some serious experience in that lineup.
It was supposed to be an edit.

Last edited by lakersboy on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Can't think of a bigger nightmare this summer than signing Rondo.

Yeah, but you never know with our FO. They'd be better off not signing anyone, which is more than likely exactly what's going to happen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
As long as rondo is willing to sign jordan hill money, I am all for it. I miss a point guard that can get in the lane and distribute right on the money passes. Clarkson is nice but he does not have the vision of rondo, but rondo and clarkson at the guards will be a very good defensive combo, IMO.

With rondo and kobe you have two guys who would monopolize the shot clock neutralizing others.

Agree, but rondo seems to a guy Kobe will accept to give handle the ball more. For the fact that he can really run a team. He can't shoot a lick but can play Def, reb and pass with the best on the NBA.

Sounds like what folks said about Nash. Fast forward and nash is playing Steve Kerr.

We got Nash way pass his prime. Plus Nash became kerr like because he cant move and go to where he wanted to go on the court due to injuries. For every great pass nash made he also allowed the same points on the other end as a Laker. Rondo can still play, defend, pass and handle the rock by watching his highlights, plus he is still in his prime. As much as I wish we can get a Durant, Westbrook or AD those will be slim chances.

My point is that everyone thought that kobe would surely defer to the great Nash. Be it age or injury (nash was healthy the 4 seasons before we got him) kobe was uncomfortable playing off ball. We played best when kobe took the point guard duties away from him.

that's not true. 1st of all, nash got hurt. secondly, the reason nash was playing more of the steve kerr role was because of the offense mike brown put into place, that didn't suit nash's strength. it was gonna be the same way, if the lakers had hired phil. but with nash, kobe said himself that he was happy nash was a laker because he could play off the ball and be a shooting guard again. nash was the person that was uncomfortable in that offense, that he expressed.

How'd it work out for Lin this season when kobe was taking 30+ shots a game and monopolizing the ball? Kobe is who he is 19 years in. There was and is no way kobe will be an off the ball guy. So why get rondo?
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

How'd it work out for Lin this season when kobe was taking 30+ shots a game and monopolizing the ball? Kobe is who he is 19 years in. There was and is no way kobe will be an off the ball guy. So why get rondo?

Olympic team Kobe was an off the ball guy. and it worked wonders.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jankobe wrote:
...playing alongside KOBE & Lakers

I couldn't agree more. This team is not being built around or for Kobe whatsoever.

I personally cannot wait for Kobe to retire so that we can move on and especially so that we can lose all the Kobe fans here.

Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

Just become a Lakers fan and you are welcome to stick around.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

I didn't realize being a Laker fan and being a fan of Kobe was mutually exclusive. The more you know.

!...
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

I didn't realize being a Laker fan and being a fan of Kobe was mutually exclusive. The more you know.

LOL @ you being here this long and never seeing the two camps. For some of these guys, it would be a dream for this website to be changed to KobeGround.net!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

It's not. Some people just want attention. They get it by making those kind of outlandish statements.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Can't believe there's a thread about this loser. I wouldn't take him for free.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

Well, yes. He hurts this team by destroying our cap, by being selfish on and off the court, and by repelling free agents. Many people on here seem to prefer that (hence the two camps).

You're the man, Big Game James - Can't wait to get rid of him!!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

LOL @ you being here this long and never seeing the two camps. For some of these guys, it would be a dream for this website to be changed to KobeGround.net!

I've been a Laker fan since 1960, will be one long after Kobe's gone.

It's not like some Lin fans that follow him around. I've seen Odom camps, Magic camps, Shaq camps, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Kobe is bedded in Laker history. He's a part of five countum, five ships. He's spent his entire career as a Laker. A feat not many can lay claim to.

Some overdue his station but I don't see it not warranted. I don't think the Lakers are going to lose any fans when he retires.

I, for one, look forward to it. It's going to give means to better the team, a team I love.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

Well, yes. He hurts this team by destroying our cap, by being selfish on and off the court, and by repelling free agents. Many people on here seem to prefer that (hence the two camps).

You're the man, Big Game James - Can't wait to get rid of him!!

I appreciate you being on my side, but that's not really my side...

I like Kobe... the Laker. He deserves to have his jersey retired amongst the other Lakers legends. I would even go so far as to say that he deserves his own statue.

On the other hand, I wish he would retire only because I hate his current selfish play. What many people didn't and still don't realize is that Phil Jackson was the best thing to ever happen to Kobe. The triangle offense ensured that the ball moved instead of being stuck in his hands. It enabled Kobe to be great... in a team environment. Post-Phil Jackson, we see a ball dominating player who is deteriorating due to age. The organization appears poised to move on without Kobe once his contract expires. I had hoped we would have already been in the middle of doing so beginning last year. The sooner we rebuild, the sooner we can move towards greatness, once again!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

yawn this is such a boring complaint.

Some people are in denial about when the rebuild actually started.

It doesn't start "when Kobe leaves". It started last year. You're in it.

You're aware had the Lakers landed Dragic at the deadline they'd have had enough room to re-sign him to a max due to his cap hold as well as sign another max this off-season and then have money for two maxes next off-season once Kobe's contract ends and if Kobe wanted to return they'd still have enough to max someone out?

That shows how much his 'contract' holds us back.. which is to say.. not much at all if you make the right moves as a FO. Which is what they seem intent to do. If they don't land people it ain't because of Kobe's contract. It's because the free agent doesn't buy the structure of the team.

Do you think if the Lakers landed Dragic at the deadline, re-signed him to the max and then threw a max at Kawhi Leonard forcing the Spurs to let him walk in RFA at the risk of overpaying him that any free agent is gonna look at this team

Goran Dragic
Kobe Bryant
Kawhi Leonard
Julius Randle
Top 5 pick

In addition to their deep bench and two additional max contract cap rooms opening the following off-season.

And go "nah.. I don't want to join that team....despite the fact they could max me and someone else..and we'll probably make a run at a championship..and by the time I'm older both Randle and their top pick will start coming into their prime..."
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yawn this is such a boring complaint.

Some people are in denial about when the rebuild actually started.

It doesn't start "when Kobe leaves". It started last year. You're in it.

You're aware had the Lakers landed Dragic at the deadline they'd have had enough room to re-sign him to a max due to his cap hold as well as sign another max this off-season and then have money for two maxes next off-season once Kobe's contract ends and if Kobe wanted to return they'd still have enough to max someone out?

That shows how much his 'contract' holds us back.. which is to say.. not much at all if you make the right moves as a FO. Which is what they seem intent to do. If they don't land people it ain't because of Kobe's contract. It's because the free agent doesn't buy the structure of the team.

Do you think if the Lakers landed Dragic at the deadline, re-signed him to the max and then threw a max at Kawhi Leonard forcing the Spurs to let him walk in RFA at the risk of overpaying him that any free agent is gonna look at this team

Goran Dragic
Kobe Bryant
Kawhi Leonard
Julius Randle
Top 5 pick

In addition to their deep bench and two additional max contract cap rooms opening the following off-season.

And go "nah.. I don't want to join that team....despite the fact they could max me and someone else..and we'll probably make a run at a championship..and by the time I'm older both Randle and their top pick will start coming into their prime..."

Where to begin? You are so wrong. We would not have had enough to sign Dragic and then another max player.

I am not complaining about Kobe's contract. It hinders us somewhat. But I think the organization did it for multiple financial reasons (which have been discussed greatly on this board). I also think the FO was wise enough to end the contract in time to have a shot at inserting Durant into Kobe's place. I have a problem with Kobe still playing because he wants to win. The way the NBA is (poorly) structured, we need to lose to rebuild. I understand that we are in the midst of a rebuild. But having Kobe on the team (albeit now injured), was not "all in" on rebuild mode. This is what I was against.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 8 of 72
Jump to: