The Kevin Garnett Effect (and Kobe)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: The Kevin Garnett Effect (and Kobe)

Kevin Garnett made his way back to the TWolves at the trade deadline. I think we Lakers fans are happy at this development as it appears that the Wolves may abdicate the 3rd worst record spot in the hopes of finishing off the year on a positive note.

Garnett was actively involved, both on and off the court:

Quote:
But almost inexorably, they began to pull it together. From the moment Garnett went to the bench, he was in the players' ears, from Andrew Wiggins to Adreian Payne to Gorgui Dieng. On the court, he shouted his teammates into place, and the Wolves defense took a noticeable step up, showing how much one player who knows how to show and recover can anchor the rotations of a whole team.

Quote:
Garnett contributed directly in these ways, plus brought in eight rebounds to go with five points, but it was his indirect effect on the other Wolves that stood out. Although they had to overcome that early tightness, once they got into the second half, they played hard without tensing up, with an edge. They cut harder, moved with purpose, snapped the ball, jumped out on screens -- all stuff they've been working on since training camp but with a new kind of energy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/72404/in-return-kg-shows-wolves-what-could-be

The Wolves have a good nucleus going forward. Rubio, Wiggins, Pek, Martin, Lavine, Payne, Dieng, Bennett, and so on. It is our collective hope that the Lakers will assemble a better core starting next year. Could Kobe learn from the KG effect? What can he do? Even if Kobe is physically unable to do what he has been known for doing, can he contribute to the team next year in other ways besides scoring?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

I also think that because KG is going to be a future owner of the team, those players are going to shape up now....no more screwing around, etc.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I also think that because KG is going to be a future owner of the team, those players are going to shape up now....no more screwing around, etc.

That is true. But regardless, he would have had the same effect.

I know this is a terrible year, but I wish we'd see more Kobe, Nash, even Randle around. Of course the big distinction is that Kobe's injured (and was last year too), but his absence leaves a big gaping hole leadership wise.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

That is true. But regardless, he would have had the same effect.

I know this is a terrible year, but I wish we'd see more Kobe, Nash, even Randle around. Of course the big distinction is that Kobe's injured (and was last year too), but his absence leaves a big gaping hole leadership wise.

I am with you. I actually do not understand why they are not attending games.

Kobe should be around the team. Especially if he has any ideas of playing another year. The last two years after his injuries it seems he spends more time and energy distancing himself from the team then being a part of it. For $25M he can show up. I can understand road trips but home games...

Randle is a rookie, how is he not engaged? Perhaps Kobe and Randle are more involved then we know. attending practices, team meetings and rehabbing on game days.

Nash does not bother me as much. Always considered him a mercenary for a short term. Once he was injured he seemed to check out pretty quick. Although recent reports of him working with Clarkson is looking like it could help the rookies development.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject:

Randle was at the kentucky game last weekend, that was pretty cool
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject:

In the void, you have team "leaders" like Swaggy and Hill guiding this mess. Boozer is a 1 year rental, and same with Lin, so the most senior Lakers are those two guys.

I hope Kobe can come back at the end of the year, join the team, take it on the chin like the rest of his teammates are doing.

I can understand recuperating after his surgery and doing press for his documentary, but after that, I hope he is seen more around Staples.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
In the void, you have team "leaders" like Swaggy and Hill guiding this mess. Boozer is a 1 year rental, and same with Lin, so the most senior Lakers are those two guys.

I hope Kobe can come back at the end of the year, join the team, take it on the chin like the rest of his teammates are doing.

I can understand recuperating after his surgery and doing press for his documentary, but after that, I hope he is seen more around Staples.

Have you seen any reports of them getting treatment or physical therapy at the Lakers facility? In years past I do remember reports of Kobe getting treatment during games. And in the locker room with his teammates.

Just curious because I have not read or heard any info on them being around the other players much. Ideally I would love to see Randle and Kobe behind the bench the rest of the way. Take their lumps like everyone else and use it for motivation over the summer.

Completely agree with the void of leadership issues.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Have you seen any reports of them getting treatment or physical therapy at the Lakers facility? In years past I do remember reports of Kobe getting treatment during games. And in the locker room with his teammates.

Just curious because I have not read or heard any info on them being around the other players much. Ideally I would love to see Randle and Kobe behind the bench the rest of the way. Take their lumps like everyone else and use it for motivation over the summer.

Completely agree with the void of leadership issues.

I guess I can understand when guys like Young/Hill seem irked that Kobe would be criticizing them like an absentee father figure.

At least I hope with guys like Clarkson/Randle/Black/Kelly (people likely to return next year) they can get a chance to connect with Kobe.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

Kobe already does all the things mentioned in the OP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

Leadership?

What for? There is nothing here to lead. In fact don't we want to do our best 76ers impersonation and lose 20 games in a row? I mean Kobe might talk to these guys and *gasp* they might win a few games, we can't have that now can we?

"Hey guys,only 5 games left in this (bleep) season! Don't I look baller as (bleep) in my suit?Chin-up!"

Kobe,Randle and Nash being out there accomplishes nothing other then being a shiny thing (barely) on a pile of (bleep).

!...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

Sorry, I don't want Randle picking up any bad habits from guys that might not be here this year....
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Kevin Garnett Effect (and Kobe)

yinoma2001 wrote:
Could Kobe learn from the KG effect? What can he do? Even if Kobe is physically unable to do what he has been known for doing, can he contribute to the team next year in other ways besides scoring?

Old dog, new tricks. Won't happen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: The Kevin Garnett Effect (and Kobe)

Big Game James wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Could Kobe learn from the KG effect? What can he do? Even if Kobe is physically unable to do what he has been known for doing, can he contribute to the team next year in other ways besides scoring?

And while KG likely never gets a ring in Minny, good to see him at the tail end of his career go back to Minny, join a non-playoff team and help change the culture there. I applaud what Minny has done (for self-interested reasons of course...#3 here we come)!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Kevin Garnett Effect (and Kobe)

Big Game James wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

you guys are trippin lol. Kobe is already doing/has been doing all that stuff

Props to KG and Minn, not only because it helps keep our pick, but it's just good to see
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Kevin Garnett Effect (and Kobe)

22 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Props to KG and Minn, not only because it helps keep our pick, but it's just good to see

Kobe's doing this season? I thought the whole drama about Kobe mouthing off after practice with Mitch there was that he was rarely around and went off the rare time he showed up for practice?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Kevin Garnett Effect (and Kobe)

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kobe's doing this season? I thought the whole drama about Kobe mouthing off after practice with Mitch there was that he was rarely around and went off the rare time he showed up for practice?

Yes. He's been in Randle's ear like crazy. He's always explaining stuff to him. Training with Nick in the offseason. And those are just a few examples.

Remember when Randle broke his leg? Who was right over there hugging the kid and staying in his hear?

Kobe and Nash are doing the mentor role, we just don't always see it. Backstage Lakers reveals some of it at times.

Plus you have to remember Minn has a ton more core long term players than we do. Rubio, Wiggins, Dieng, Lavine, Bennitt, Pek, etc. We just have Clarkson and Randle. Swaggy too but he's a vet himself.

I don't worry about Kobe passing knowledge on to the youngsters at all. KG will chew these dudes at in practice too if they aren't playing hard
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:

^ That's when he was actually in practice/games. I haven't seen him in Staples since...Pau Gasol came by and it seemed it was only to say hi to him.

I agree with C-Dawg that it may seem pointless. But there are certainly lessons to be drawn from KG IMO for Kobe next year if he's not the dominant Kobe. There is a lot of great stuff for Kobe to pass on to the next Lakers group.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
^ That's when he was actually in practice/games. I haven't seen him in Staples since...Pau Gasol came by and it seemed it was only to say hi to him.

I agree with C-Dawg that it may seem pointless. But there are certainly lessons to be drawn from KG IMO for Kobe next year if he's not the dominant Kobe. There is a lot of great stuff for Kobe to pass on to the next Lakers group.

You need not fret on this one yinomes. Kobe passes on the knowledge and he's intentional about it. Trust me. There's tons of proof out there
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You need not fret on this one yinomes. Kobe passes on the knowledge and he's intentional about it. Trust me. There's tons of proof out there

His disciples Swaggy and Hill really represented him well.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I think 22 is a Kobe fan and does not look at things realistically.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:

I think most of us are Kobe fans. It's difficult seeing him injured for the past 2 seasons while guys in his age group like Duncan, Dirk get to play in the playoffs and KG is doing himself and the Wolves a great service with his move. Your move Mamba...and I'm hoping he goes out with a bang next year!
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Kobe too grumpy!

!...

Last edited by City_Dawg on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Swaggy P runs to the beat of his own drum.....I'm sure Kobe is trying to pass on knowledge to him but he's just "having fun".
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Did you see his reaction to their post game antics? Best believe he's talked to them about it
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:

Wth are you talking about? I'm not looking at things realistically because I claim that Kobe helps mentor our young players?

Even when there is TONS of evidence out there that he does? Did you watch the live practice from training camp? Have you watched ANY of the videos where reporters ask Randle about his relationship with Kobe? How about Clarkson and Nash?

But then again I am talking to the guy that started the "Official Rajon Rondo" thread so that might tell me all I need to know.

The notion that because I like Kobe (which HELLO this is a Lakers forum!) disqualifies me from speaking on a topic about him mentoring our young players is ridiculous. If anything it would make me somewhat of an expert on this particular subject. Sheesh.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: