Next Season and the Worst case situation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Next Season and the Worst case situation

Hi All,

So just play along with my thoughts...

Given the worst case situation, that the Lakers lose the top 5 pick, what do you think of the following thoughts?

1. The Lakers still have the Houston first round pick. Who could they get?

2. I kind of doubt they get a franchise center like Marc Gasol or D'Andre Jordan. Why would they come here the FO is so screwed up.

3. If they don't get a decent Full sized center (7 foot rim protector who does not move like molasses) I would hope they try to keep Ed Davis. I think he has played really well this season, blocking shots, rolling to the basket and making a high percentage of his shots, playing defense and rebounding (offensive and defensive).

4. I'm not sure if there is legit playing time for Tarik Black if Ed Davis stays. Tarik is kind of short for a center and unless he has Ben Wallace like skills, strength and athleticism I don't think he will be much more than a bench guy. I do like how he can get out on the break. A center who can outrun his opponent might be a good thing to have. Too bad he can't shoot very well.

5. The Lakers should not expect to plan around Kobe. Maybe expect him to play 24 minutes per game so he doesn't get tired or hurt.

6. So for the future nucleus of the team maybe the Lakers can build around: Randle (PF), Clarkson (PG/SG), Ed Davis (C/PF). Hopefully they can get a good starting SF (who can shoot) in free agency and a good piece from Houston's draft pick.

7. Guys I wouldn't mind keeping around for the bench: Ellington (SG), Boozer (PF), Wes Johnson (SF),Ronnie Price (3rd string PG), Sacre (3rd String C)

8. I used to be a Lin fan, but I don't really like the way he plays....seems like all he can do is drive to the basket....kind of like Rondo without the reputation for defense.

9. I used to like Swaggy but how did he become so terrible all of the sudden?

10. If only Jordan Hill could put it all together...rebounding, block some shots and his new found offensive skills...and play a little defense and hustle....but if he won't then ship him out.

11. R Kelly looks awful out there. Even if he is playing out of position, the can't even make the open shots.....only if he is left wide open for a long time. I'd rather have a guy who can consistently make some mid range shots coming off screens or catch and shoots. Kelly has missed so many easy shots.

thanks
DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

worst case scenario. Clippers win it all and starts taking down banners for their home games. But Lakers have no control over that. What they do have control over is the ability to keep their pick or even move into top 3. That 3 games winning streak cost them grouping with Philly/NY/Minny.

That said, if FO has any delusion about what lays ahead of them and what MUST be done this season, we all should be in fear of the other doomsday scenario - a long drawn out rebuilding anchored by an incompetent Head of basketball operations.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Next Season and the Worst case situation

Lakerpark wrote:
Hi All,

Given the worst case situation, that the Lakers lose the top 5 pick, what do you think of the following thoughts?

1. The Lakers still have the Houston first round pick. Who could they get? The best player available is who they should set their sights on. My hope is that they try to pick up a speedy PG who can hang with the Agustin's, Lawson's, and Isiah Thomas'. They can also go for an athletic SF.

2. I kind of doubt they get a franchise center like Marc Gasol or D'Andre Jordan. Why would they come here the FO is so screwed up. It all depends on who they get with that top 5 pick. If they can get a high enough pick and manage to get Okafor or Townes, then getting Marc Gasol, Jordan, or any other big man becomes ancillary, which will allow them to focus on solidifying another "need" position like PG or SF.

3. If they don't get a decent Full sized center (7 foot rim protector who does not move like molasses) I would hope they try to keep Ed Davis. I think he has played really well this season, blocking shots, rolling to the basket and making a high percentage of his shots, playing defense and rebounding (offensive and defensive). You're right, but i don't see him as our long term answer as the rim protector player that we need. He's more of a high-energy player that you can bring off of the bench. It will be interesting to see how much other teams offer him once he declines the Lakers' option. He's a good player for sure, but i kind of doubt he'll get any offers beyond the $5-7M range.

4. I'm not sure if there is legit playing time for Tarik Black if Ed Davis stays. Tarik is kind of short for a center and unless he has Ben Wallace like skills, strength and athleticism I don't think he will be much more than a bench guy. I do like how he can get out on the break. A center who can outrun his opponent might be a good thing to have. Too bad he can't shoot very well. Tarik Black has shown that he can be a servicable big off of the bench. I love his toughness, length, and space-eating mass. He's only 24 years old?! His ceiling is still a bit high. I would think he comes back to the Lakers with a slight raise. However, i have a feeling that if Tarik is brought back, we might not see Ed Davis on the roster next season(Depends on Davis' asking price).

5. The Lakers should not expect to plan around Kobe. Maybe expect him to play 24 minutes per game so he doesn't get tired or hurt. It depends on how he comes back next season, and what the rest of the roster looks like. If Kobe comes back showing minimal wear and tear, and in his vintage Mamba-type shape, i don't see why he can't play around 30-35 mins. a game. However, he will be about 36-37 years old, and with all of that mileage, more rest might be a necessity for his aging body.

6. So for the future nucleus of the team maybe the Lakers can build around: Randle (PF), Clarkson (PG/SG), Ed Davis (C/PF). Hopefully they can get a good starting SF (who can shoot) in free agency and a good piece from Houston's draft pick. Why aren't you counting the top 5 pick? Have you seen the Lakers remaining schedule? They are in for some losses to end the season. I think it's almost assured that they will wind up keeping the pick. Whoever they draft will definitely be apart of the Lakers long-term nucleus. I would like to add Ryan Kelly's name to your list, but it's tough to do that with the way he's been playing this season. Plus, let's not forget that the Lakers will keep their own 2nd round pick(a high second rounder), and the Clippers pick, provided it's between 51-54. As of today, the Clipper pick sits at number 53. Hopefully Mitch can pull off some more draft magic and get a steal or two like he did with Clarkson.

7. Guys I wouldn't mind keeping around for the bench: Ellington (SG), Boozer (PF), Wes Johnson (SF),Ronnie Price (3rd string PG), Sacre (3rd String C) I like all those people you've named except Price and Sacre. If Ellington wants to come back i'm hoping that it won't be at a high cost, but it most certainly would be, considering he's what, 27, 28 years old? He's trying to get his make-it-or-break it deal before his age and production start to wane. Boozer might come back if it's for cheap. Heck he didn't ask to be waived to join a playoff team this year, so perhaps he really wants to hang around. He appears to be have some pretty good leadership traits. That's something a team with young players can ill afford to do without.

8. I used to be a Lin fan, but I don't really like the way he plays....seems like all he can do is drive to the basket....kind of like Rondo without the reputation for defense. I don't think he'll be back unless he agrees to a ridiculous pay cut, which he won't, considering he's young, talent-ladden, and full of moxie. He just can't play defense that well.

9. I used to like Swaggy but how did he become so terrible all of the sudden? Different coach, different system, injuries? It's hard to really assess any perceived digression in the midst of such a horrible and tumultuous couple of seasons. He's under contract for a couple more seasons, so unless the Lakers trade him, we'll need to adjust to the "Swaggy One's" presence.

10. If only Jordan Hill could put it all together...rebounding, block some shots and his new found offensive skills...and play a little defense and hustle....but if he won't then ship him out. The Lakers had their chance to move him before the trade deadline but choose to retain him. BY season's end they can decline his option, or pick it up. I"m not sure if there is a morotorium on when they can trade him if they choose to pick up his option. In my opinion he's a talented 6th man, and would make a great 2nd string center. In my opinion he's not consistent enough to be considered a star or key player who starts. The skills are there, but his consistency is lacking.

11. R Kelly looks awful out there. Even if he is playing out of position, the can't even make the open shots.....only if he is left wide open for a long time. I'd rather have a guy who can consistently make some mid range shots coming off screens or catch and shoots. Kelly has missed so many easy shots.

It's been a tough season for the Lakers in general, but yea, i agree, Kelly has been a disappointment. I think he just needs to find his niche on this team. He has the skills to offer value, but perhaps he just hasn't had a clear cut role defined yet. He's signed for another year, so i say just keep him, and if he still sucks, trade him before the deadline for whatever you can.

thanks

Last edited by CaliRyderX on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spoolxx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Best case: Ryan Kelly is somewhere in China.

Worst case: Kelly is still our starting small forward.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject:

This:

Best case: Ryan Kelly is somewhere in China.

Worst case: Kelly is still our starting small forward.

Great call.

If we don't get the pick...I don't think we get any FA's. Comeback with just about the same roster and suck again for another year. the only good that may come out of that is Jim Buss gets canned.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Best case: get top picks and keep tanking.

Worst case: didn't get and still tanking.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Best case: Get a top 5 pick
Worst case: Lose our pick to Philly, and watching another terrible season go down the tubes....I guess you can dream about Thon Maker in the 2016 draft....
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Best case: Get a top 5 pick
Worst case: Lose our pick to Philly, and watching another terrible season go down the tubes....I guess you can dream about Thon Maker in the 2016 draft....

Losing the pick would be the nightmare of all nightmares for the Lakers organization and fanbase. To endure this putrid season and then lose the only vestige of hope that was supposed to be secured through tanking would be adding insult to injury.....please i hope this doesn't happen.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

They lose the pick, Randle struggles, Kobe can only play about 20 games, and they were unable to sign any noteworthy free agents.
Vencal
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the 3 game win-streak got me to thinking we are going to loose the top 5 draft pick and I got into the Worst Case scenario mode for next year. And when I thought about not getting a Top 5 pick, I realized that it is not all gloom and doom. Some positives about not getting the Top #5 pick this year:

--Still have the Houston pick for sure (no way Houston misses the playoffs and keeps their pick) and we can get a good prospect.
--Have about $4 million extra for free agent(s) if no Top 5 player on the payroll.
--We will for sure have our 2016 pick no matter what (and may be high if bad again in 2016)
--'76ers and not Phoenix get the 2015 pick and they will draft somebody and then trade them for more picks!

So maybe it is not too bad to lose our pick this year and then another bad season means we have a high pick and then tons of Free Agent money in the big 2016 free agent class. The Worst Case Scenario for Next Season may not be that bad, especially. (At least that is what I keep telling myself).
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Vencal wrote:
Yeah, the 3 game win-streak got me to thinking we are going to loose the top 5 draft pick and I got into the Worst Case scenario mode for next year. And when I thought about not getting a Top 5 pick, I realized that it is not all gloom and doom. Some positives about not getting the Top #5 pick this year:

--Still have the Houston pick for sure (no way Houston misses the playoffs and keeps their pick) and we can get a good prospect.
--Have about $4 million extra for free agent(s) if no Top 5 player on the payroll.
--We will for sure have our 2016 pick no matter what (and may be high if bad again in 2016)
--'76ers and not Phoenix get the 2015 pick and they will draft somebody and then trade them for more picks!

So maybe it is not too bad to lose our pick this year and then another bad season means we have a high pick and then tons of Free Agent money in the big 2016 free agent class. The Worst Case Scenario for Next Season may not be that bad, especially. (At least that is what I keep telling myself).

Not getting the top 5 pick after this season would be a complete tragedy....plain and simple.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject:

The only problem with the 2016 draft is now we know the Laker front office is too stupid to tank. I think between Mitch's great ability to find decent bargains and under rated players the lakers will still be too good to be bottom 5 just by being bad. There's too many teams that will purposely tank that the Lakers will never draft that future superstar.
Vencal
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
Vencal wrote:

Not getting the top 5 pick after this season would be a complete tragedy....plain and simple.

CaliRyderX, I Agree. I have reluctantly been on TEAM TANK for 2 years now and I all that for nothing this year would be tragic. But if it happens, got to deal with it and go on.
mastersworddude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

A repeat of this year.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject:

fafan wrote:
Best case: get top picks and keep tanking.

Worst case: didn't get and still tanking.

Ouch, that hits too close to home.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Mudiay/Clarkson
Kobe
Hollis-Jefferson
Randle
Ed Davis

Let's go!!

Nobody on the team can shoot! Woo!
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Next Season and the Worst case situation

Lakerpark wrote:
Hi All,

1. The Lakers still have the Houston first round pick. Who could they get?
What's their biggest weakness...

2. I kind of doubt they get a franchise center like Marc Gasol or D'Andre Jordan. Why would they come here the FO is so screwed up.
Money talks for some.

3. If they don't get a decent Full sized center (7 foot rim protector who does not move like molasses) I would hope they try to keep Ed Davis. I think he has played really well this season, blocking shots, rolling to the basket and making a high percentage of his shots, playing defense and rebounding (offensive and defensive).
There were plenty of possibilities to trade for but the Lakers didn't try (i.e. John Henson).

4. I'm not sure if there is legit playing time for Tarik Black if Ed Davis stays. Tarik is kind of short for a center and unless he has Ben Wallace like skills, strength and athleticism I don't think he will be much more than a bench guy. I do like how he can get out on the break. A center who can outrun his opponent might be a good thing to have. Too bad he can't shoot very well.
Black is a luxury not a necessity.

5. The Lakers should not expect to plan around Kobe. Maybe expect him to play 24 minutes per game so he doesn't get tired or hurt.
He will play more than 24 but if he "facilitates" then if next year doesn't lead to playoffs, tank on.

6. So for the future nucleus of the team maybe the Lakers can build around: Randle (PF), Clarkson (PG/SG), Ed Davis (C/PF). Hopefully they can get a good starting SF (who can shoot) in free agency and a good piece from Houston's draft pick.
Randle has played one game. Clarkson is a combo. Ed is a tweener. You still have every spot to fill.

7. Guys I wouldn't mind keeping around for the bench: Ellington (SG), Boozer (PF), Wes Johnson (SF),Ronnie Price (3rd string PG), Sacre (3rd String C)
Depends on what you can get after Kobe's 25M.

8. I used to be a Lin fan, but I don't really like the way he plays....seems like all he can do is drive to the basket....kind of like Rondo without the reputation for defense.
As opposed to taking long jump shots.... okay..... at least he shoots better than Rondo.

9. I used to like Swaggy but how did he become so terrible all of the sudden?
Need...to...play...within...the...offense...and...play...defense...

10. If only Jordan Hill could put it all together...rebounding, block some shots and his new found offensive skills...and play a little defense and hustle....but if he won't then ship him out.
He doesn't have "new found offensive skills". He can knock down a jump shot. But shooting jumpers do not get you on the line so it is very inefficient. Teams have no problems letting Hill stand out there all game long. Other bigs who shoot jump shots can also be a factor inside so when they go outside they draw their man giving them ability to get by them.

No one else amongst the bigs that can stretch the floor. Still not sure why he's playing SF.

thanks
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Next Season and the Worst case situation

Quote:

No one else amongst the bigs that can stretch the floor. Still not sure why he's playing SF.

Because the coach fundamentally believes bigmen shouldn't shoot 3's. Long 2's... now that's OK because Laimbeer did it.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Best case: We land the number 1 pick in this year's lottery and whoever we draft ends up having an impact immediately, we luck out and Marc Gasol decides to sign with us, we fill out the rest of the roster with good role players, Randle comes back and plays like gangbusters, Kobe comes back and plays at his 12-13 form, and we go on an insane playoff run.

Worst case: We lose our pick this year, we strike out during free agency and have to re-sign the same losers that are on our squad right now, Randle comes into training camp 100 pounds overweight and ends up looking like a bust, Kobe suffers an injury before the season starts and is forced to retire and we're screwed for what seems like the next millennium.
Tyrion Lannister
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Best case we keep out type 5. The top 6 players are decent.

Worst Case: We go through this crap for another year
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

OKAFOR. Best case. Randle/Okafor frontcourt will be so beast in 2-3 years. KD come on over in 2 years and spend it in LA in your prime. Win a couple here.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
Best case: We land the number 1 pick in this year's lottery and whoever we draft ends up having an impact immediately, we luck out and Marc Gasol decides to sign with us, we fill out the rest of the roster with good role players, Randle comes back and plays like gangbusters, Kobe comes back and plays at his 12-13 form, and we go on an insane playoff run.

Worst case: We lose our pick this year, we strike out during free agency and have to re-sign the same losers that are on our squad right now, Randle comes into training camp 100 pounds overweight and ends up looking like a bust, Kobe suffers an injury before the season starts and is forced to retire and we're screwed for what seems like the next millennium.

I have another to add to the worst: Kelly leaves/is traded/released/whatever and picks up with a team that actually values passing, spacing and ball movement (let's say ATL or SA). He starts shooting the lights out. Lakers fans are apoplectic: "Why can't we get a player like that?"
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Worst case (if we don't get the top 5 pick) is we go after a solid pg, cause that's what we'll need, for around 7 million (Ty Lawson?). That will get the ball rolling, then try to get a big with the max (Gasol or L-Train).

Lawson, Gasol, Kobe, Randle, Wes?

Bench: Clarkson, Davis, Houston pick, Ellington, Young, FA-pg

That's a Playoff team, specially if Kobe can stay healthy
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Worst case (if we don't get the top 5 pick) is we go after a solid pg, cause that's what we'll need, for around 7 million (Ty Lawson?). That will get the ball rolling, then try to get a big with the max (Gasol or L-Train).

Hard to sign Lawson for seven mil when he's under contract for considerably more.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

Hard to sign Lawson for seven mil when he's under contract for considerably more.

Ok thanks. We'd have to try to find an up and coming PG (or starting capable veteran FA) for 7-9 mill. I think the max should be reserved for a big.

With the pick (assuming we get a big) we have more options in FA.

The situation does look bleak without the top 5 pick.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: