NBA Officiating Last Two Minute Reports

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: NBA Officiating Last Two Minute Reports

This is a new feature from the NBA. It shows how the league graded its officials for the calls and no-calls during crunch time of close games. I would bet that this will eventually be expanded.

http://official.nba.com/nba-officiating-last-two-minute-report-march-1-2015/
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:

They should expand it to cover the entire game.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject:

Here is the first report for a Lakers game -- Lakers vs. Hornets.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/03/L2M-LAL-CHA-3-3-15.pdf

The only bad grade is an INC on Jordan Hill for traveling with 13 seconds left. We scored on the resulting play, which kept the game close.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject:

Here is an early test case for this system. The Rockets are steamed about this no-call on Harden last night, which may have changed the outcome of the game against the Grizzlies:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12424655/houston-rockets-upset-officials-not-calling-foul-late-seconds-loss-memphis-grizzlies

Later today, the NBA has to post the report card for the officials, including that particular no call. It will be interesting to see what the NBA says and how everyone reacts to it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: NBA Officiating Last Two Minute Reports

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This is a new feature from the NBA. It shows how the league graded its officials for the calls and no-calls during crunch time of close games. I would bet that this will eventually be expanded.

http://official.nba.com/nba-officiating-last-two-minute-report-march-1-2015/

Anybody with insomia should read this. Very interesting, the detail the league goes to.
But getting through the material is intensive. Reminds me of government bills purposely so large that it helps hide the ugly details.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

True, but I'm not going to complain about a little transparency. I wouldn't read every one of these reports. Still, it is interesting to see how much detail is in the league's reports, and it is refreshing to see that the refs got tagged for that awful no-call on Harden. Wouldn't it be interesting to see some of the reports from Kobe's prime?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Here is an early test case for this system. The Rockets are steamed about this no-call on Harden last night, which may have changed the outcome of the game against the Grizzlies:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12424655/houston-rockets-upset-officials-not-calling-foul-late-seconds-loss-memphis-grizzlies

Later today, the NBA has to post the report card for the officials, including that particular no call. It will be interesting to see what the NBA says and how everyone reacts to it.

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/03/L2M-MEM-HOU-3-4-15.pdf

4 bad calls against one team in the last 72 seconds is impressive even for the nba
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

^^^^

I'm not sure about the one with 1:12 left. They say that Gasol moved his pivot foot, but they score it a CNC. They don't explain why.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

True, but I'm not going to complain about a little transparency. I wouldn't read every one of these reports. Still, it is interesting to see how much detail is in the league's reports, and it is refreshing to see that the refs got tagged for that awful no-call on Harden. Wouldn't it be interesting to see some of the reports from Kobe's prime?

Donaghy reffing game 6 of Laker-Kings playoff series in 2002 would be interesting.

Same goes for the 2006 nba finals where Wade averaged over 16 free throw attempts a game.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Donaghy reffing game 6 of Laker-Kings playoff series in 2002 would be interesting.

Same goes for the 2006 nba finals where Wade averaged over 16 free throw attempts a game.

Game 2 of the 2008 finals
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

It sure would, since Donaghy didn't ref that game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

I'm not sure about the one with 1:12 left. They say that Gasol moved his pivot foot, but they score it a CNC. They don't explain why.

The * implies that you'd need to review the play to see it, and since they can't review a travel, that the call gets a pass.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

I didnt get it either. Even his initial hop step can technically be ruled a travel and he took at least 3 steps after that. I thought that was the most egregious missed call of that whole group.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: