Selling car

View previous topic :: View next topic  
choylaychunkuen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Selling car

Hi all,

I'm selling my car to the dealer for a trade-in. I have aftermarket parts, cai, jdm lights, and full coilovers. The car is not worth a lot but I have the original parts for it. Can I take my original parts to the dealer and give it to them?

I have a 96 accord v6..the vehicle I'm getting is the '15 Rav4.

thanks.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Selling car

choylaychunkuen wrote:
Hi all,

I'm selling my car to the dealer for a trade-in. I have aftermarket parts, cai, jdm lights, and full coilovers. The car is not worth a lot but I have the original parts for it. Can I take my original parts to the dealer and give it to them?

I have a 96 accord v6..the vehicle I'm getting is the '15 Rav4.

thanks.

yes you can... you can take all the JDM parts off and replace them with OEM and it will not affect your trade in value.... congrats on the RAV4
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

Yeah. Take off all those aftermarket parts and sell them separately. They may actually be lowering the value of your car.

And have you tried checking CarMax if you're selling your car? They tend to offer more than other dealers. You don't need to buy a car from them to sell them your car.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Yeah. Take off all those aftermarket parts and sell them separately. They may actually be lowering the value of your car.

And have you tried checking CarMax if you're selling your car? They tend to offer more than other dealers. You don't need to buy a car from them to sell them your car.

Ill be honest with you the OEM parts for that car are prolly worth more than the aftermarket
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Ill be honest with you the OEM parts for that car are prolly worth more than the aftermarket

My point is that the dealer looks at aftermarket parts as a negative and will give a lower trade-in value.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

yep, i've sold couple cars to them already, the price is very reasonable and love that 7 day guarantee so you can shop around.
choylaychunkuen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Thanks all for the replies. It'll cost too much to replace them and I'm not that mechanically saavy on cars. I did call the dealer and they said to bring in the parts. I'm not going to sell my aftermarket parts individually as they are too old and kinda wrecked. Besides I want to rid of my parts from my garage quickly.

Thanks in kind for the replies.
axs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

choylaychunkuen wrote:
Thanks all for the replies. It'll cost too much to replace them and I'm not that mechanically saavy on cars. I did call the dealer and they said to bring in the parts. I'm not going to sell my aftermarket parts individually as they are too old and kinda wrecked. Besides I want to rid of my parts from my garage quickly.

So you're just giving the dealer the parts?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject:

axs wrote:
choylaychunkuen wrote:

So you're just giving the dealer the parts?

Yeah. That sounds weird.

I maybe would do that if I sold it to someone private party. But no way I'm giving a dealer free parts. They're going to be telling stories about how many different ways they were able to screw you.
choylaychunkuen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject:

I already got a quote from 2 dealerships in OC couple of months ago and going to Alhambra tomorrow to see what kind of deal they could offer me. I am going to give the dealer my parts as I could care less cause my car isn't worth anything even if I sold it to private party.

My generation accord doesn't have value, as aftermarket parts are mostly customized. My oem parts are the lights, shocks, and intake.

One dealer offered me $500 and the other $400. My abs hasn't worked in 7 years, have modified muffler, illegal driver tint including the winshield.

Other that, I'm going to be happy with the Rav4. Thank you all for the suggestions.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

Understood. Sometimes it's more about convenience and just getting it behind you instead of some extra money.

I just know that in California, almost any running car can get at least $2000 private party. Even if KBB shows way less.

I'm sure you'll love your Rav4 though. Big jump in technology and comfort from an old car.
ComputerBlue
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

You are selling your car for $500 to a car dealer?

Im sure you could get a bigger tax write off if you just gave it away...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Part it out.

Put original parts back in.

Get more value for the car.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

yeah, definitely put the OEM parts back on when trading it in, it worth more that way, and you can recoup some $$$ by selling the aftermarket parts. i'm keeping an eom set of wheels/tires, suspension and exhaust for my IS350
choylaychunkuen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Got my rav4 and very happy. My trade in was initial 300 but had to make it 800 cause of some haggling per month payment. Have extra accessories at not cost. Overall very happy. Thanks again for all the replies. Next time I'll check out Carmax.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

They're worth more to you. But not necessarily to a potential buyer. I'd pay less for a car with a huge rear wing spoiler than one without.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: