self guided tour to Japan for first timer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: self guided tour to Japan for first timer

been thinking about a self guided tour to Japan this October. never been to that country and don't know anyone there either. has anyone done that before? how easy was it? i know it's easy to travel within the country due to their advanced public transportation system, but how about language barrier, do most people understand English there?
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I spent 2-3 weeks there a few years back. People did not all understand English, and depending on the remoteness of areas, it was indeed difficult to communicate, but nothing that couldn't be done with gesturing and sign language and basic English words.

Totally recommend going. People are wonderful, transportation is great (at least in the major cities - I only saw Tokyo and Kyoto) and there's so much history and spiritual culture there that is nicely mixed with city life.

Check out http://www.japan-guide.com/. I used it for a LOT of my planning.

If you're interested in learning more about what I ended up doing, feel free to PM me and I can send you over more info.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Use http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ to navigate the trains (regular and bullet trains).

If you need cash from an ATM, find the orange and green post offices. They're usually open from 9am to 5pm if not later. 7-11 sometimes has 24 hour ATMs for your credit/debit card.

If you'd like a phone, you can try renting from Softbank, but the prices aren't exactly a bargain.

Japan isn't "an English speaking country," but English is taught in Japanese schools. So if you're in a pinch, you can find someone who can help.

Personally I think Japan isn't incredibly friendly anymore because of the strain the economy has put on their lives, but they're at least polite. I've lived in Japan for a long time, so if you'd like some tips to get around easier, PM me. But as mentioned, a lot of guidance can be found online.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824

Last edited by PrairieAve on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Stay in a high rise Hotel and look for a chick that looks like Scarlett Johannson.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

we plan to spend 5 days there, what are some of the must see attractions in Tokyo and near round cities? this will be in October by the way. also for hotel, which district in Tokyo is most tourist friendly and convenient to get to everywhere?
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Stay in a high rise Hotel and look for a chick that looks like Scarlett Johannson.

Exactly what I would attempt to do...seems to make a fun vacation
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
we plan to spend 5 days there, what are some of the must see attractions in Tokyo and near round cities? this will be in October by the way. also for hotel, which district in Tokyo is most tourist friendly and convenient to get to everywhere?

I particularly enjoyed the below sightseeing spots:
Imperial Palace
Meiji Shrine - though it was raining when we were there, thought it was a great place to visit. It's sort of in the middle of a lot of hustle and bustle, but a nice peaceful park and temple grounds.
Kamakura - Great Buddha - Kind of a sightseeing trap, but if time permits, still cool to see

There's also just wandering around streets in the different districts
Asakusa (old Tokyo), Sensoji temple/streets were some of the areas I enjoyed

I am definitely not familiar with Tokyo enough to suggest one area over another, but we stayed in Minato and found it easy to get around from there.

If you want to see more of the stereotypical Japanese "weird"/"hip"/"fashionable" teen culture, Harajuku and Shibuya are worth checking out. Consider Shinjuku if you want to see crowds, business and shopping in one of the busiest parts of the city.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject:

1. The subway is going to suck the first day or so. For first timers, it's overwhelming. But once you get the hang of it, it's relatively easy.

2. Use Google Maps. It actually tells you which subway train to go on and get off as well. It's awesome. GPS may be inaccurate around large buildings though.

3. Despite Japan being a first world country and fairly westernized, don't expect many English speaking citizens. Even the younger generation may have a hard time.

4. If you're going in October, expect it to be friggin' hot and humid. Bring clothes that breathe easily. Avoid wool.

5. The nice thing about Japan is that you can get lost but never feel endangered. It's very safe there, even late at night.

6. Don't tip. It's rude.

7. Most places that you eat at, be mindful of spending too much time there. Unlike in America, you can't just hang out after you eat.

8. A lot of places have a ticket machine in the front. You pick your food first, pay, then give the ticket to the cook when you enter.

9. If you have a credit union, then use your ATM card to withdraw money. Don't exchange money at the airport if possible. You will get dinged. When you withdraw money with a credit union card, you only get taxed like 1-3%. Very minimal.

10. Explore the food offered at the convenience stores like Lawson, Lawson 100, and 7-Eleven. They are SOOOO good and cheap. So much so that you feel angered the 7-Eleven over here charges over $3 for a garbage hot dog.

11. When you see a Tully's (it's a Starbucks type of place), try their frickin' hot dog. OMG. That (bleep) is so good!!!!!!!!!!!
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Shibuya is where most tourist go. The main thing is get a hotel near a subway entrance. I think that's more important than anything. When we went, we didn't even opt for a hotel actually. There are houses (or condos) that you can rent for days like renting a hotel. These are kept by a manager who speaks English. So when you meet them to get in, you can ask them for valuable advice and recommendations regarding the local area around your pad. Renting a pad like this comes with the perk of a mobile hot spot. You carry it around with you when you go out so your phone always has access to internet to help you with GPS and apps like Trip Advisor. VERY useful.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:

10. Explore the food offered at the convenience stores like Lawson, Lawson 100, and 7-Eleven. They are SOOOO good and cheap. So much so that you feel angered the 7-Eleven over here charges over $3 for a garbage hot dog.

If you wanna spend big money, that's your decision... but if you're running out of money, Japan is actually cheap in many ways, and your dollar will go a long way. Also look for Don Quixote for an inexpensive but interesting Walgreens-type store.

In case you run out of antiperspirant for some reason, the strongest one I know of is Ban for Men in the black/green bottle. You can find them at drugstores (not convenience stores) or Don Quixote. Even then, it's kind of weak compared to American brands.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

PM me if you have specific questions. I have family and friends in Japan, mostly Tokyo. I go at least once every couple of years for leisure, and I've worked for Sony and Epson and made numerous trips for business.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: