Lakers #1 Future Target: Durant or Westbrook?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Durant or Westbrook (for purposes of this poll, assume only 1)
Durant
50%
 50%  [ 53 ]
Westbrook
50%
 50%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 106

greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

Whomever is available first.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

I'd say prepare for a rerun of the past season, none of them are coming and the FO will end up hiring scrubs to maintain flexibility...

I hope we get some good picks along the way and develop them together with Randle and JC... That will be worth our while.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
I'd say prepare for a rerun of the past season, none of them are coming and the FO will end up hiring scrubs to maintain flexibility...

I hope we get some good picks along the way and develop them together with Randle and JC... That will be worth our while.

I don't see a placeholder team next year.

This year's free agency class is deeper than last year's. While the top of the class guys may not be as sexy as last year's (LBJ, Melo, Bosh, etc.), the Lakers will have a lot more choices to fill out the rest of the roster's #2-8 rotation.

When (if) Kobe retires, we'll have 40m+ plus in cap space, and hopefully most of our rotation set but for the #1 option.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
deal wrote:

This year's free agency class is deeper than last year's. While the top of the class guys may not be as sexy as last year's (LBJ, Melo, Bosh, etc.), the Lakers will have a lot more choices to fill out the rest of the roster's #2-8 rotation.

When (if) Kobe retires, we'll have 40m+ plus in cap space, and hopefully most of our rotation set but for the #1 option.

This. We're not tanking next year, we're not getting any more 1-year rentals.

Even if we don't get a superstar, we're gonna have 3 good rookies and a solid rotation for the future.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
deal wrote:

Even if we don't get a superstar, we're gonna have 3 good rookies and a solid rotation for the future.

And while this may not make the playoffs (and no, the team won't be tempted to try to tank for a top 3 pick b/c even the #1 worst record wouldn't guarantee a top 3, pick, just a top 4) this is how you incrementally build (as a plan B at least) so that we're in a better spot to snag a top free agent in 2016 and 2017.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject:

Given durant's grim diagnosis re his foot anyone want to change their vote?
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

In terms of star power and attracting other FA's, durant has the edge.

In terms of real skill on the court: both are up there, but again durant has the edge.

Who is the better leader and locker room presence? Probably Durant again.

If he could be had, Durant. Durant, Randle and our top 5 C (or Gasol)? That would be a killer front court. The league would sh** its pants.

Don't mind Westbrook at all though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject:

^ that all changes if his foot will be a problem.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

I believe Durant will be available this summer for the right price. Long term, "if healthy" his talent is limitless. I'd offer Randle/lotto pick without hesitation, barring medical assurances from our medical staff.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:
I believe Durant will be available this summer for the right price. Long term, "if healthy" his talent is limitless. I'd offer Randle/lotto pick without hesitation, barring medical assurances from our medical staff.

I wouldn't. Health. Fact he is a free agent in 2016. Can't mortgage our future. Lakers would lose a decade over this.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

Durant might be done, Grant Hill done. Westbrook would be my pick until Durant proves otherwise.
zoogz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

RMurphy_22 wrote:

Why trade for him when you can sign him in 2016? You simply don't gut our entire assets for one guy when he's going to be a free agent anyways. Plus Durant would rather play with randle and okafor, not by himself. Even then, I'd prefer to roll with Westbrook.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Of course, were assuming he'll be healthy. If not, that changes everything.

I can see a healthy Durant, Randle and Top 5 C creating havoc in the playoffs and getting to the championship. No one would be able to deal with the size and range. As good as Westbrook is he can't get anywhere without a dominating frontcourt.

(That's why I think GS is going to have trouble in the playoffs unless they're bigs go off - that's a big IF).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I can see a healthy Durant, Randle and Top 5 C creating havoc in the playoffs and getting to the championship. No one would be able to deal with the size and range. As good as Westbrook is he can't get anywhere without a dominating frontcourt.

(That's why I think GS is going to have trouble in the playoffs unless they're bigs go off - that's a big IF).

I wouldn't trade for him.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I wouldn't trade for him.

Agreed with that (Like the other poster said a few posts up as well) I'd wait for 2016 to get him, if possible. That way the core is set. Then you add the complimentary pieces.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

BOTH
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
deal wrote:

Realistically, the only way the Lakers have a bad summer is if they manage to miss out on the draft pick. Other than that, if they manage to get the pick, they will be able to draft the beginnings of a future core roster. That will be tempting for any free agent to come and join to build a future contender. Even if they decide to trade the pick, that pick has a lot of value that cannot be replaced.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Honestly neither of them are healthy. Westbrook's knees won't last more than a couple of years. That is the double-edged sword of being extremely tall or extremely athletic. The body can only handle so much. The players who are more north-south runners seem to have less chance of injury overall.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers #1 Future Target: Durant or Westbrook?

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The conventional wisdom (and somewhat of a consensus view IMO) was that the Lakers will and should go after Durant as the “Next” in 2016. He is already an MVP, and one of the best players in the league. He has star value, and would fit nicely in the pantheon of Laker greats.

However, a few things happened this year.

1. Durant has been injured…a lot…this season. His foot injury is a bit troubling, as we forget that while he’s a lanky big man, he’s nevertheless 6’10 (maybe 6’11). Will that foot injury linger?

2. Washington. They are maneuvering like crazy (both the fanbase and the team) to get his services in 2016. I think their foundational pieces (Wall, Beal, vet big men) will be much better than the Lakers in 2016. I’m not sure that the Lakers appeal very much to Durant (and he’s getting his endorsements anyway…so the LA market isn’t exactly a must-have).

I’ve been on team Durant, but I’m changing my tune. I’m all about getting Westbrook now.

1. I do like how Kobe has all but anointed him as his successor. That means a lot IMO for him

2. I’m not certain Durant wants the pressure of leading the Lakers franchise back to the top, particularly right after Kobe retires. I don’t think he likes that kind of limelight; Russ would be all for that IMO and even if he doesn’t get to the top, I think he embraces the challenge much better.

3. I don’t think the Lakers will have a compelling enough foundation for Durant to join anyways by 2016.

4. Russ has LA ties, and in this case, I think it means something. I know he’s said publicly that he wouldn’t join the Lakers, but: 1) he can’t talk about joining them since he was under contract; 2) why would he diss his current team by doing so; 3) he signed his first extension with OKC b/c it made 100% sense to do so.

So this would require some patience from the Lakers and its fanbase. I don’t think Russ will be on the trading block until after Durant leaves OKC (which I’m banking on him doing so, I don’t think he will forgive them for the Harden fiasco). Once he leaves, OKC will scramble to find out if Russ wants to stay, or whether he wants to be traded. In that scenario, I think Russ is the type of guy who will say “trade me to the Lakers.” If we get a top 5 pick, I wouldn’t get too comfortable with that player. Also, remember OKC was the team spearheading the rally against changing the NBA draft lottery, which tells me that they see that they are running out of time with Durant/Russ and know they may have to blow it up again, tank to get assets, repeat the cycle.

Lakers could try to be patient, and sign him outright in 2017 (damn that feels far away), have the top 5 pick, Randle, 2015 and 2016 free agents, and have him as the last alpha dog piece. However, he’d be turning 29 in November 2017. I think the Lakers would not wait that long.

So, anyone with me? Let’s move on from Durant and start getting the assets for Russ. If Durant leaves, OKC has little choice but to start looking for trade destinations for Russ. I don’t think they trade Durant, but may be willing to see if they can woo him back; they won’t make the same mistake with Russ and they will move him if Durant bounces.

Good stuff.

Ya, really good stuff Yinoma.

My only disagreement would be that I would wait until FA for Russ.
It would cost sooooo much to get him a year earlier via trade, we'd have to gut the promising team that we are hopefully building.

Russ would actually be 28 if we signed him in FA in 2017 (though he would turn 29 in November that year, so early in the 2017 season).
His "balls to the walls" style does concern me, but he is special, and I think would relish the opportunity to be a Laker.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Honestly neither of them are healthy. Westbrook's knees won't last more than a couple of years. That is the double-edged sword of being extremely tall or extremely athletic. The body can only handle so much. The players who are more north-south runners seem to have less chance of injury overall.

I too think his knees are about to explode. Too risky if you ask me. Stay away from Westbrooks and Durant. We don't want Agent 0 situation Washington had years ago.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject:

How is this even a question?

I love Westbrook, but Durant is unquestionably the better player.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

I too think his knees are about to explode. Too risky if you ask me. Stay away from Westbrooks and Durant. We don't want Agent 0 situation Washington had years ago.

Are you on (bleep) drugs?

Durant is argurably the best player in the league and Westbrook is argurably top five. Passing on to elite level superstars in their prime would be idiotic.
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Durant is argurably the best player in the league and Westbrook is argurably top five. Passing on to elite level superstars in their prime would be idiotic.

Westbrook already had one knee surgery. He's going to need another one soon. Durant is Hill grant 2.0. His ankle is shot. I am not on drugs, i just dont take crazy chances like you.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Westbrook already had one knee surgery. He's going to need another one soon. Durant is Hill grant 2.0. His ankle is shot. I am not on drugs, i just dont take crazy chances like you.

3 knee surgeries actually
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Durant says he wants to retire in OKC just like Kobe with the lakers. I very much doubt he leaves OKC. Russ is the best shot tbh.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: