Lakers #1 Future Target: Durant or Westbrook?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Durant or Westbrook (for purposes of this poll, assume only 1)
Durant
50%
 50%  [ 53 ]
Westbrook
50%
 50%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 106

DimesnD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

Bad news is we can't touch him until 2017. The way Westbrook has been playing, if we ask, the least they want is Randle/Clarkson/our #1, and two future unprotected. After that we'll have to look forward to just old man Kobe spectating Westbrook run up and down the court because he can't keep up. Not sure Westbrook wants to be here alone.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I do think Westbrook is the superior and more valuable player right now.
But Durant would be better for the Lakers for two main reasons.

1) He's a free agent a year earlier. Durant can be a FA in 2016 and Westbrook salary is up in 2017. The earlier we can get a franchise cornerstone piece, the better. Even when superteams are assembled, oftentimes it take them an additional year to win a chip. So putting the pieces together earlier in the star player(s) prime is worthwhile.

2) I'm convinced elite PGs are similar to elite NFL running backs. Their small stature (in general), causes them to have a shorter window for their prime and an even shorter window for elite play (when compared to elite players at other positions). Durant has been more injured than Westbrook this year, that can't be denied. But Westbrook's mixture of small size and high aggressiveness have already caused him 3 knee surgeries (including one similar to what Rose is going through now). When it comes to NBA PG's I'm convinced it's smart to get them on the rise, as opposed to spending top dollar for them in their prime. It's the deepest position in the league, so who knows how long they will be elite even if they have a longer prime than average.

Assuming I agree with the above for purposes of this post, my greater argument is that I don't see Durant choosing the Lakers. So by default, that makes Russ the better candidate and we should maneuver resources accordingly to get him after Durant leaves.

All things equal, I may take Durant over Russ, but the odds appear stacked against a Durant/Lakers pairing.

You're right. Russ is more likely to choose us. But he's still a longshot. I would give us a 1/3 chance at best. Durant I'd say 1/6.
But who knows what type of Westbrook we're getting in 2017.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

1) He's a free agent a year earlier. Durant can be a FA in 2016 and Westbrook salary is up in 2017. The earlier we can get a franchise cornerstone piece, the better. Even when superteams are assembled, oftentimes it take them an additional year to win a chip. So putting the pieces together earlier in the star player(s) prime is worthwhile.

2) I'm convinced elite PGs are similar to elite NFL running backs. Their small stature (in general), causes them to have a shorter window for their prime and an even shorter window for elite play (when compared to elite players at other positions). Durant has been more injured than Westbrook this year, that can't be denied. But Westbrook's mixture of small size and high aggressiveness have already caused him 3 knee surgeries (including one similar to what Rose is going through now). When it comes to NBA PG's I'm convinced it's smart to get them on the rise, as opposed to spending top dollar for them in their prime. It's the deepest position in the league, so who knows how long they will be elite even if they have a longer prime than average.

Assuming I agree with the above for purposes of this post, my greater argument is that I don't see Durant choosing the Lakers. So by default, that makes Russ the better candidate and we should maneuver resources accordingly to get him after Durant leaves.

All things equal, I may take Durant over Russ, but the odds appear stacked against a Durant/Lakers pairing.

You're right. Russ is more likely to choose us. But he's still a longshot. I would give us a 1/3 chance at best. Durant I'd say 1/6.

I wanted to include a 3rd option "other player," but I think we are dealing with Durant/Russ as the most immediate help. I think Durant is a real longshot. Ironically, Russ is tied to whatever Durant chooses. If Durant is gone, the chances of Russ leaving increases too IMO. I don't see him staying there in OKC watching Harden, then KD walking away.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I wanted to include a 3rd option "other player," but I think we are dealing with Durant/Russ as the most immediate help. I think Durant is a real longshot. Ironically, Russ is tied to whatever Durant chooses. If Durant is gone, the chances of Russ leaving increases too IMO. I don't see him staying there in OKC watching Harden, then KD walking away.

Ya, that's why I gave Russ 1/3 chance. I could see Durantula leaving in 2016. At which point, Westbrook will figure he could make the playoffs with any team he wants (if he's healthy). Then he'll choose between us and probably two other teams.

When healthy, Russ and Durant are in the top 6 to 7 players in the league. I don't see the Lakers getting a fish that big through FA. Gotta hope we find one of those guys through the draft. But in the meantime, we don't have to be Sam Hinkie. We can still grab top 10-20 type guys via FA. Salary cap is going up in 2016. Screw the whole "we're better than RFA vibe". Offer max money to Butle or Kawhi.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

Durant is not coming to a rebuilding Lakers team, he wants to win a championship. Westbrook in 2017 is a lot more likely to be a Laker if Durant goes to the Wizards. I'm not sure either leaves OKC when it's all said and done.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Durant is not coming to a rebuilding Lakers team, he wants to win a championship. Westbrook in 2017 is a lot more likely to be a Laker if Durant goes to the Wizards. I'm not sure either leaves OKC when it's all said and done.

I'm more sure that both will leave as oppose to stay in OKC.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Any all-stars? Yes!
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Durant, and it's not even close. I honestly don't believe you can build a team around Westbrook because his attitude is so bad. People talk about Kobe taking a lot of shots, but at least Kobe is a "shooting" guard!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Durant, and it's not even close. I honestly don't believe you can build a team around Westbrook because his attitude is so bad. People talk about Kobe taking a lot of shots, but at least Kobe is a "shooting" guard!

My premise though is based on my observations that it's unlikely Durant comes to the Lakers as a free agent. That should change the calculations a bit, no?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Go for Durant first... and if by some miracle we get him... then go after Westbrook next. If Westbrook doesn't want to play with Durant, then you know he cares more about personal glory and winning by himself than a championship.

Westbrook is extremely talented... he's on a roll that makes him the best player in the league right now. But he also plays an aggressive style that relies on his speed and leaping ability and probably won't last more than a few years. He'll probably end up like Dwyane Wade, which means still extremely productive, but in need of two other great players to win championships.

Difference is, and I don't know this for a fact, but it seems Wade could get way more people that would want to play with him than Westbrook.

That's why I'd prefer Durant.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Go for Durant first... and if by some miracle we get him... then go after Westbrook next. If Westbrook doesn't want to play with Durant, then you know he cares more about personal glory and winning by himself than a championship.

Westbrook is extremely talented... he's on a roll that makes him the best player in the league right now. But he also plays an aggressive style that relies on his speed and leaping ability and probably won't last more than a few years. He'll probably end up like Dwyane Wade, which means still extremely productive, but in need of two other great players to win championships.

Difference is, and I don't know this for a fact, but it seems Wade could get way more people that would want to play with him than Westbrook.

That's why I'd prefer Durant.

This.

If Westbrook was taller as well, imo he relies on athleticism way too much. He's still kind of a bonehead honestly if you ask me.

I would say Russ is probably playing the best right now as a player, I still think Irving at this point is a better pg and more capable of playing team ball. He has looked great on a depleted team, but how many games has he cost the Thunder over the years with his dumn decision making?

He is not, and never will be on Kobe's level imo.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject:

My unpopular opinion is that Durant has peaked. He's Melo 2.0. It was embarrassing to see CP3 shut him down.

Get Westbrook. His game is getting more versatile.

I don't have the synergy stats to back me up, but you should believe me.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:

or neither.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

I guess my point still remains. Why would Durant choose the Lakers over the Wiz or even OKC in 2016? At least with Russ we have the sense that he would be open to being the face of the Lakers. Haven't heard anything about durant being interested in the Lakers though I'm sure we will try.

Put simply this isn't a theoretical "who is the better player" argument; it is who is realistically the most obtainable.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject:

The way you phrased it I'll go with Russ because he's the most obtainable. I still worry about those knees and the constant wear and tear those knees will go under by the time 2017 comes, and I also haven't seen enough of his game that has me convinced that it will age well as he advances in age.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I guess my point still remains. Why would Durant choose the Lakers over the Wiz or even OKC in 2016? At least with Russ we have the sense that he would be open to being the face of the Lakers. Haven't heard anything about durant being interested in the Lakers though I'm sure we will try.

Put simply this isn't a theoretical "who is the better player" argument; it is who is realistically the most obtainable.

It's a fun exercise in terms of discussion but the Lakers are going to make a play for both in all likelihood. We're not exactly in a position to be choosy with players of that caliber. Whoever says yes ,we're signing. I really do think it's that simple. It'd be foolish on the part of the organization to do otherwise.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
My unpopular opinion is that Durant has peaked. He's Melo 2.0. It was embarrassing to see CP3 shut him down.

Get Westbrook. His game is getting more versatile.

I don't have the synergy stats to back me up, but you should believe me.

You're outta here then!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's a fun exercise in terms of discussion but the Lakers are going to make a play for both in all likelihood. We're not exactly in a position to be choosy with players of that caliber. Whoever says yes ,we're signing. I really do think it's that simple. It'd be foolish on the part of the organization to do otherwise.

No doubt. But I find our chances at getting Durant far worse then getting westbrook. Problem is that we'd likely have to spend an asset to get Westbrook but not for durant.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

I have a friendly wager of $5k wth a friend that the LAL's FO
will waste those off season and get neither.

The sooner the FO starts building its wn team and stop thinking they
can out bid other teams like under the old CBA, the sooner we actually
get a team together; we'll see.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Its really a no-brainer for me. Westbrook is having an incredible stretch and I would love him to be a Laker but Durant is clearly the better player.

Durant can shoot 50% from the field 40% from 3 and 90% from the line in his sleep. Russ is gonna typically be a 43% - 30% - 81% player. Wesbrook is not really that efficient. He has that incredible motor where he will keep attacking make or miss. He really isn't a great shooter. Durant can defend multiple positions.

If we could sign one of them they would both be 28 or about to be 29 when they are free agents. Possibly getting ready to have a decline in there athleticism. Which makes this poll even more of a no-brainer. Durant I think with his jumper and length will be able to play at a higher level as his athleticism starts to decline. Westbrook lives off of his speed and athleticism.

Last edited by eureca on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject:

^ sure. But how do we get Durant here over OKc and wizards?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Durant is the much better investment but Westbrook is realistic while KD is pipe imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No doubt. But I find our chances at getting Durant far worse then getting westbrook. Problem is that we'd likely have to spend an asset to get Westbrook but not for durant.

Yeah, this off-season is so huge it's ridiculous. Having a top 5 pick and the quality of our FA acquisitions is going to be the difference between another 25 win season versus a 40 win season.

Our success in the 2016 FA bonanza hinges on it.

When I look at it like that, the "let the chips fall where they may" attitude with the FO really irks me. One bad bounce and we'll be set back years...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Durant is the much better investment but Westbrook is realistic while KD is pipe imo.

I think so too. In a vacuum I take Durant. But the Okc/wizard vacuum is likely to suck Durant away in free agency.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject:

How often do you guys say Wade and Lebron will break down, and you guys want Westbrook? He's on a hot stretch right now, this is not his norm. He's not a great shooter, and will be 29 at the start of the 17-18 season. A shooter is a shooter and will last much longer in this league.. KD all the way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: