Lakers #1 Future Target: Durant or Westbrook?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Durant or Westbrook (for purposes of this poll, assume only 1)
Durant
50%
 50%  [ 53 ]
Westbrook
50%
 50%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 106

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I guess my point still remains. Why would Durant choose the Lakers over the Wiz or even OKC in 2016? At least with Russ we have the sense that he would be open to being the face of the Lakers. Haven't heard anything about durant being interested in the Lakers though I'm sure we will try.

Put simply this isn't a theoretical "who is the better player" argument; it is who is realistically the most obtainable.

Because Durant wants to win, and he knows the Lakers will do anything to do it.

OKC didn't give Harden the max. Think the Lakers would have if given the same cap situation as OKC back then?

I think so.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject:

This is what you might see from a Wade/Westbrook type player

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wadedw01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westbru01.html

This is what you might see from a Dirk/Durant type player

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nowitdi01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duranke01.html

But look at how much better Dirk, Durant and Wade's FG percentage is than Westbrook. Some of you mistake tenacity and endless chucking for intelligent quality play. I give him props for those triple doubles though... getting rebounds at his height is impressive

One last sobering statistic... Westbrook's career FG percentage is lower
than Jeremy Lin's!!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/linje01.html

All the true greats tend to shoot around 50%
icetich21
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject:

...but can he guard Westbrook???
KendrickLamar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject:

hell be 28 when we get him well be lucky to get2 good years out of him. I Love westbrook to death but the way he plays is ridiculously aggressive he wont last long in the league
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject:

Where is the option for neither?

We can just wait and see how Clarkson develops? Two years/three years, many things can happen within that time span.

I guess if I had to choose, it would be Durant. He's a free agent a year sooner than Westbrook and we will likely still have a hole at SF than we would at PG by that time.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject:

icetich21 wrote:
...but can he guard Westbrook???

What good is it if you can blow past everyone if you are still only shooting 43% in your prime?

Magic after 4 years of layoff after his HIV diagnosis... attempted a comeback and still shot 47% in his last year at the age of 36.

Stockton shot 51% for his career
Nash shot around 50% until that nerve damage took him to 49%
Magic shot 52%
Even old man Byron shot 48%

The closest thing that Westbrook resembles to me is Iverson. A larger more physical version that can rebound.

Kidd also had a terrible FG percentage but at least he could pass...

But I'd much prefer to try to rebuild around Durant than the next Allen Iverson.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I guess my point still remains. Why would Durant choose the Lakers over the Wiz or even OKC in 2016? At least with Russ we have the sense that he would be open to being the face of the Lakers. Haven't heard anything about durant being interested in the Lakers though I'm sure we will try.

Put simply this isn't a theoretical "who is the better player" argument; it is who is realistically the most obtainable.

Because Durant wants to win, and he knows the Lakers will do anything to do it.

OKC didn't give Harden the max. Think the Lakers would have if given the same cap situation as OKC back then?

I think so.

The thunder offered harden 4 years 54 million. Not bad for a guy averaging 17/4/3 and coming off a complete finals disappearance. In fact many people thought the rockets overpaid for him. And no one saw him becoming the star he is now.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject:

For those switching to team Westbrook, just look back to last year at what KD did when Russ was out. 36/6/6 on 54% shooting. Team went 20-7. I like Russ's feisty attitude but he still dominates the ball more than I like, and gets blinders on from time to time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:

No one has yet made a compelling argument as to why Durant chooses the Lakers in 2016 over OkC and the Wizards. Sure we may have 2-3 young great prospects (all under 23) but that doesn't seem like it's enough.

The reason I have Russ is because he is far more attainable imo. All things equal it would be a different conversion. But I don't think it is.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
No one has yet made a compelling argument as to why Durant chooses the Lakers in 2016 over OkC and the Wizards. Sure we may have 2-3 young great prospects (all under 23) but that doesn't seem like it's enough.

The reason I have Russ is because he is far more attainable imo. All things equal it would be a different conversion. But I don't think it is.

The poll asks Durant or Westbrook?

If you phrased the question who is more attainable... you'd get a different result.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If you phrased the question who is more attainable... you'd get a different result.

Sure but if you read the accompanying post I did lay it out a bit like that.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Neither one. Anthony Davis Please!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject:

He could be a restricted free agent in 2016 or an unrestricted free agent in 2017.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sure but if you read the accompanying post I did lay it out a bit like that.

Your logic makes sense. My counterpoint would be is the most you would get out of making RW the centerpiece of your franchise... is maybe a Finals exit, like Iverson... except then you consider the fact even with Durant and Harden he could only get the same result as AI... meaning that Iverson probably is even better!

I was completely happy at the idea of getting Chris Paul... I'd be happy even with Steph Curry, Kyrie, John Wall... all except Wall have better FG percentage... but Wall at least has an elite assists average.

If Russell was the second acquisition... I wouldn't mind him... but seeing as he doesn't play that well with others... you essentially have a lesser form of Kobe with similar attitude problems and a terrible outside shot.
Our only hope getting an elite big man would be if we lucked out and drafted the next phenom. Hell, I'd rather try to sign Anthony Davis and build around him instead.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
He could be a restricted free agent in 2016 or an unrestricted free agent in 2017.

That is what you call a pipe dreamer's "pipe dream." He'd probably go to Chicago in that double pipe over the Lakers.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook is a better player then Durant. Durant is slightly a better scorer but Westbrook is closing the gap. We've never seen a player like Westbrook before, he has track speed and the strength of a SF in a PGs body. He runs into 275 lb center and that player is usually the one that goes back. You can't go wrong with either player but I think Westbrook has the killer instinct that all the great leaders have on championship team.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

That is what you call a pipe dreamer's "pipe dream." He'd probably go to Chicago in that double pipe over the Lakers.

Really!? Is it cause he's gonna sign an extension and not hit free agency anyways?

In terms of talent and value he seems comparable to the other two you mentioned.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Really!? Is it cause he's gonna sign an extension and not hit free agency anyways?

In terms of talent and value he seems comparable to the other two you mentioned.

He will sign his first extension. We may have a shot at him when he's 26-27 years old. Given his injury history this year it's a no brainer.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

He will sign his first extension. We may have a shot at him when he's 26-27 years old. Given his injury history this year it's a no brainer.

Where's Mitch's magic wand when you need it?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Where's Mitch's magic wand when you need it?

More like a gun to his head and his family.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject:

I remember Klay took a max extension as well in Golden State. Kyrie in Cleveland. Rose. Do players just make enough money that they get to a point where they will decline max extensions?

Otherwise why would Durant and Westbrook decline with the thunder and Davis wouldn't with the Pelicans.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I remember Klay took a max extension as well in Golden State. Kyrie in Cleveland. Rose. Do players just make enough money that they get to a point where they will decline max extensions?

Otherwise why would Durant and Westbrook decline with the thunder and Davis wouldn't with the Pelicans.

Only if they are unhappy in their current environment. Even with a lot of losing, financial security outweighs signing for a contender. Players only get desperate late in their career where they will leave money on the table for a shot at a ring.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

I'd take either, but I still haven't made up my mind which I prefer.

Before, it would have been Durant without a question, as I think he's the better player for a lot of team compositions, and his game should age better.

However, after listening to Doug Collins talk on the BS report about coming back too soon from that same foot injury, and having it leading to a host of other lower body injuries, I'm not so sure.

A major factor is that I have no faith in our medical staff in terms of preventative treatment, whether that's fair or not.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

2016 FA list doesn't sound interesting if we miss out on Durant.

If OKC are looking to tank and rebuild, get RW for Clarkson, draft picks before trade deadline in 2017. Sign DeRozan as FA.

Towns
Randle
SF
DeRozan
Westbrook
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

You can't lose with either guy, but Durant will be a free agent sooner, and I'd lean towards him even if they were the same season. He's a better player and relies less on this athleticism. I do think Westbrook is more likely to land here though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: