***Official*** 2015 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
A few QB's land in optimal spots. Petty to the Jets where Geno Smith sucks and Hundley to the Packers where he can develop long-term the way Rodgers did.

I'm not sold on Petty. He has the arm but is still a big project. The Baylor spread system is so stupid simple that I don't think a QB can come in and start in the NFL right away.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
rwongega wrote:
A few QB's land in optimal spots. Petty to the Jets where Geno Smith sucks and Hundley to the Packers where he can develop long-term the way Rodgers did.

I'm not sold on Petty. He has the arm but is still a big project. The Baylor spread system is so stupid simple that I don't think a QB can come in and start in the NFL right away.

Not only am I not sold on Petty (for the record I think he sucks actually), but I also don't think people should be quitting on Geno just yet either.

Geno ended the season playing the best football of his career so far (I know that's perhaps not saying much). His last game against Miami was particularly decent 20/25 for 358 & 3 TDs 0 INts, perfect passer rating and a W. There is something there with him, and at least now he has some talent there. The boy has had a pretty weak supporting cast to work with if we're being fair to him. Marshall should hopefully help him out some, and with the additions of Ridley & Stacy, maybe they get a committee that can actually move the chains a bit.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Not only am I not sold on Petty (for the record I think he sucks actually), but I also don't think people should be quitting on Geno just yet either.

Geno ended the season playing the best football of his career so far (I know that's perhaps not saying much). His last game against Miami was particularly decent 20/25 for 358 & 3 TDs 0 INts, perfect passer rating and a W. There is something there with him, and at least now he has some talent there. The boy has had a pretty weak supporting cast to work with if we're being fair to him. Marshall should hopefully help him out some, and with the additions of Ridley & Stacy, maybe they get a committee that can actually move the chains a bit.

To be fair, Miami pretty much quit playing D that game and the defense, especially the secondary, was awful for the 2nd half of the year outside of Grimes. Last year he still had pretty decent talent in Decker and Co. I'm not expecting much out of Petty, but I'm expecting less out of Geno.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject:

Both Geno and Petty have a bit of commonality. Both need to clean up their mechanics which would lead to more consistent and accurate throws, and they need to work on reading defenses. Geno seems to have problems with NFL defenses as they are quite fast and liquid compared to college where a quick, simple read was all that was required. Petty was given such a short leash in college he's almost starting from scratch. The one area where Geno seems to be better than Petty is having the ability to sense pocket pressure though some will say he has happy feet.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Tue May 05, 2015 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Dallas Cowboys hope Byron Jones, whom they selected in the first round Thursday night with the 27th overall pick, can be their McCourty.

"You've got to have guys who cover in this league," Stephen Jones, the Cowboys' executive vice president, said. "Certainly, Jones helps us out here. He's a big, tall corner and you don't get taller at corner unless you pick them tall. He certainly can do it and we feel good about him if he's playing corner and we feel good about him if he's playing free safety. And I think the McCourty analogy is good."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4742072/cowboys-see-devin-mccourty-in-byron-jones

Exactly what I thought too when I watched Jones. I was blown away when Jones broke the world record for the standing broad jump, and his other combine stats were other-worldly. Yet when I watched some tape, he looked like a decent but hardly other-worldly CB. He looks like someone who will have problems with double moves as he seems to have some problem with changing direction and accelerating. Maybe it's something that can be corrected, maybe not. But the more I watched Jones, the more convinced that his true position is FS, where he'd be less exposed to sudden changes of direction and make use of his recognition skills.

A very good pick for the Cowboys as they have a need at both positions.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:

His career ended earlier than today but I digress.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/06/ed-reed-officially-retires/

Quote:
Ed Reed officially retires

Ed Reed, a nine-time Pro Bowler and one of the best safeties of his generation, is officially calling it a career.

The Ravens announced that Reed will retire at a ceremony hosted by the team on Thursday.

Reed didn’t play in the NFL last year, so this news comes as no surprise. But it’s a good move for both sides that the Ravens and Reed have decided to announce this retirement together. Although Reed played briefly for the Texans and Jets in 2013, he’ll always be remembered primarily for the 11 seasons he spent with the Ravens.

Reed won a Super Bowl ring with the Ravens, was Defensive Player of the Year in 2004, led the NFL in interceptions three times and is the league’s all-time leader in interception return yards. He may some day have a bust in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

Cowboys sign La'El Collins.

Jeez. That offensive line is just ridiculous now.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:

Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

People thought Romo had a lot of time last season to throw.

This coming season he'll be able to take another trip to Mexico like he did in 07 and make it back before getting rushed.

They had an excellent draft at least in the first two rounds. Got a guy in Jones who can step in and start right away.

Gregory is the most talented pass rusher in the draft.

Hardy's suspension will likely be reduced. Can't imagine it holding up.

All of a sudden what was their weakness last year is a strength.

People talk about their hole at RB, but behind a massive, road grading offensive line like that you can get by with average backs. It was wise to let Murray go and improve their rather pedestrian defense.

Being a Cowboys fan myself I'm very excited for next season. I see no reason why we can't win it all this coming season.

I feel like all the pieces in place.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Gregory has immaturity issues. He needs to be on curfew. If he gets tied up with the wrong people, he might get himself into a mess. He is a top 5 talent with huge red flags. His agent asked for a personal handler and security for him.
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

raffi wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

Holy Toledo!
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Jaguars rookie Dante Fowler Jr. tears ACL in practice, expected to miss season,

Sucks for him and for the Jags. hope he has a speedy recovery and comes back good as new.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Wow that's terrible news. Fowler is a superstar talent and it's a shame he won't get a chance to show case in his rookie season. Another tough blow for Jacksonville.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Patriots to release veteran slot corner Kyle Arrington

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492090/article/patriots-to-release-veteran-slot-corner-kyle-arrington

Arrington is a decent slot CB though he got absolutely torched during the Super Bowl. I realize the Patriots probably want him back at half price, but he wasn't exactly making bank ($3 million, none of it guaranteed this season) and there is no CB depth behind him (two FA retreads plus two unprovens). To put it in perspective, all three starting CBs from the Super Bowl are now gone.

This move pretty much blindsided me.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
raffi wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

This coming season he'll be able to take another trip to Mexico like he did in 07 and make it back before getting rushed.

They had an excellent draft at least in the first two rounds. Got a guy in Jones who can step in and start right away.

People talk about their hole at RB, but behind a massive, road grading offensive line like that you can get by with average backs. It was wise to let Murray go and improve their rather pedestrian defense.

Being a Cowboys fan myself I'm very excited for next season. I see no reason why we can't win it all this coming season.

That is the steal of the draft. This guy should be a day-one starter on any team. I wanted the Rams to take him with their second third-round pick, #89 or even their earlier pick in the round, #72, and scratched my head that neither they nor anyone else pulled the trigger for what appeared to be barely a gamble. At one point, he was rumored to be the choice of the Rams at #10, yet he is signed as an undrafted free agent?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
raffi wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

That is the steal of the draft. This guy should be a day-one starter on any team. I wanted the Rams to take him with their second third-round pick, #89 or even their earlier pick in the round, #72, and scratched my head that neither they nor anyone else pulled the trigger for what appeared to be barely a gamble. At one point, he was rumored to be the choice of the Rams at #10, yet he is signed as an undrafted free agent?

This came out, right at the beginning of the draft and turned everyone away from him
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
raffi wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

This came out, right at the beginning of the draft and turned everyone away from him

Plus his agent threatened not to sign if he was drafted below round 3.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Yeah, I read all that prior. He was only a person of interest because he was believed to be the father, not that he was responsible for the murder. THAT is a gamble I would have taken, and one the Rams or any smart team should have by the third round. Instead the Rams picked Jamon Brown, predicted to be anywhere from a fourth round to undrafted. Now, THAT is a gamble.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/sports-nfl/20150531/Mike.Sherman.high.school/

Quote:
Former Packers head coach now coaching high school footbal

Once the head coach of the Green Bay Packers, Mike Sherman has returned to his home state to coach high school football.

Sherman accepted the head coaching position for Nauset Regional High School in Massachusetts, Keith Kenyon, the school's athletic director, told the Cape Cod Times.

"I've been fortunate financially over the years, which is allowing me to do this," Sherman told the newspaper. "Back in January I was looking for a place to have a football camp this summer, and Nauset High School came up. Then I heard they were looking for a head football coach.

"It took me a while to pull the trigger. It hasn't been an easy decision because I wanted to make sure I was all 100 percent in."

Sherman, who was born in Norwood, Mass., coached the Packers from 2000-05. He compiled a 57-39 record and guided Green Bay to four playoff appearances but was fired after a 4-12 season.

Sherman has bounced around since his days in Green Bay. A year after being fired, he joined the Houston Texans as an assistant head coach in 2006 and was named offensive coordinator in 2007. He then lasted four seasons as Texas A&M's head coach before joining the Miami Dolphins, where was let go as offensive coordinator in 2013.

Sherman understands there will be a dramatic shift in talent level, going from players like Brett Favre to high school players.

"Everything is relative," Sherman told the newspaper. "Maybe we don't have a Pro Bowl player at QB, but there is a good chance our opponent isn't defending with a Pro Bowl cornerback either. We'll adjust to wherever our talent leads us."
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: New England Patriots sign Matt Flynn

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/11/report-patriots-agree-to-terms-with-matt-flynn/

Quote:
Report: Patriots agree to terms with Matt Flynn

The New England Patriots have already found a replacement for Garrett Gilbert.

According to Dianna Russini of ESPN, the Patriots agreed to terms with quarterback Matt Flynn. Flynn had previously worked out for the team on Wednesday.

If Tom Brady is going to miss games in September, Flynn would provide a veteran backup option for Jimmy Garoppolo.

Flynn started four games for the Green Bay Packers in 2013. He completed 61.4 percent of his passes for 1,146 yards with seven touchdowns and four interceptions. Flynn’s performance against the Patriots in 2011 helped propel Flynn to a sizable free agent deal with the Seattle Seahawks in 2012.

Flynn went 24 of 37 for 251 yards and three touchdowns against New England in Week 15 of the 2011 season.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Eagles release Pro Bowl G Evan Mathis due to contract disputes. If the price is right, wouldn't mind seeing my Phins pick him up seeing as we nearly traded Ireland bust Dion Jordan to bat-(bleep) crazy Chip Kelly for him pre-draft.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Yeah, I read all that prior. He was only a person of interest because he was believed to be the father, not that he was responsible for the murder. THAT is a gamble I would have taken, and one the Rams or any smart team should have by the third round. Instead the Rams picked Jamon Brown, predicted to be anywhere from a fourth round to undrafted. Now, THAT is a gamble.

I don't understand why the Pats didn't take him with the last pick.

(Now, I do actually understand why the Patriots/Bill did not take them - they aren't "that" organization. Class, respect, etc etc ( ))

But if I had the last pick in the draft, 10/10 times I gamble on whatever drunk/murderer/drug user is out there that can run a 4.2 40 and rep 225 50 times.

With the last pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, Cutheon selects....Prisoner #24601 from Rikers University.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

I don't understand why the Pats didn't take him with the last pick.

(Now, I do actually understand why the Patriots/Bill did not take them - they aren't "that" organization. Class, respect, etc etc ( ))

But if I had the last pick in the draft, 10/10 times I gamble on whatever drunk/murderer/drug user is out there that can run a 4.2 40 and rep 225 50 times.

With the last pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, Cutheon selects....Prisoner #24601 from Rikers University.

His agent publicly and specifically said that his client will not sign with any team if drafted after the second round. Teams didn't want to waste a pick playing chicken.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Hilarious if true (on another note I hope the Colts never consider Jonathan Martin for an O-Lineman)

http://pagesix.com/2015/06/12/andrew-luck-on-ever-joining-the-jets-f%E2%80%89-%E2%80%89-%E2%80%89k-that-man/

Quote:
Andrew Luck on ever joining the Jets: ‘F–k that, man’
By Ian MohrJune 12, 2015 | 10:19pm

Indianapolis Colts star Andrew Luck may like hanging out in New York — but don’t expect the elite quarterback to ever play here. Spies spotted Luck hanging out recently at Montauk’s Surf Lodge with his NFL pal Jonathan Martin — who made headlines in 2013 when he accused his Miami Dolphins teammates of bullying.
The duo were “drinking Heinekens” and “shooting the breeze about football” with a die-hard Jets fan at the bar, we’re told. When the Gang Green backer told Luck, “I wish you were the quarterback of the Jets,” Luck leaned in and whispered, “F - - k that, man.”
Luck has yet to ink an expected mega-deal with the Colts, but the team’s expected to lock him in to a long-term contract.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Hilarious if true (on another note I hope the Colts never consider Jonathan Martin for an O-Lineman)

http://pagesix.com/2015/06/12/andrew-luck-on-ever-joining-the-jets-f%E2%80%89-%E2%80%89-%E2%80%89k-that-man/

Quote:
Andrew Luck on ever joining the Jets: ‘F–k that, man’
By Ian MohrJune 12, 2015 | 10:19pm

Indianapolis Colts star Andrew Luck may like hanging out in New York — but don’t expect the elite quarterback to ever play here. Spies spotted Luck hanging out recently at Montauk’s Surf Lodge with his NFL pal Jonathan Martin — who made headlines in 2013 when he accused his Miami Dolphins teammates of bullying.
The duo were “drinking Heinekens” and “shooting the breeze about football” with a die-hard Jets fan at the bar, we’re told. When the Gang Green backer told Luck, “I wish you were the quarterback of the Jets,” Luck leaned in and whispered, “F - - k that, man.”
Luck has yet to ink an expected mega-deal with the Colts, but the team’s expected to lock him in to a long-term contract.

Jonathan Martin starting for the Colts would be the end of Luck's career. Guy makes the paper banner high school teams tear through look All Pro.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 8 of 106
Jump to: