***Official*** 2015 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

LeGarrette Blount has been suspended for one regular season game as he tested positive for marijuana use.

He should have changed his name to something less conspicuous, like Chronic.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/09/report-troy-polamalu-retiring-after-12-seasons-with-steelers/

He should've done it a couple of seasons ago
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:

What a dream career for him RIP

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/16/lee-remmel-who-spent-62-years-around-the-packers-dies-at-90/

Quote:
Lee Remmel, who spent 62 years around the Packers, dies at 90

Lee Remmel, a Green Bay icon who was there for the days of Curly Lambeau and Don Hutson, of Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers, and of everyone in between, has died at the age of 90.

Remmel, who worked first as a reporter for the Green Bay Press-Gazette and then for the Packers as a PR man and team historian, spent a total of 62 years working with and around the team.

In Remmel’s first season as a reporter, in 1945, Lambeau was the coach and the team hadn’t yet moved into the Field that bears his name, playing instead at Green Bay’s City Stadium. That year Hutson led the NFL with 47 catches, and the Packers finished 6-4, three games behind the league champions, the Cleveland Rams.

By Remmel’s last season before retiring as team historian, in 2007, McCarthy was the coach and Brett Favre was wrapping up his final season in Green Bay, with Rodgers waiting in the wings.

Former Packers CEO Bob Harlan remembered Remmel as a loyal member of the Packers family.

“He had a tremendous love for the organization, a tremendous love,” Harlan said. “Everyone had great respect for his ability as a writer, and certainly if you wanted a quick point in history, there was not a better source than Lee. Many times he and I would sit and talk about old, old times — the Curly Lambeau era and when Vince Lombardi first came to Green Bay. I was always fascinated with the stories he had about those times.”

Now we’ve lost one of the few people who still had stories to tell about those times.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/16/saints-sign-offensive-lineman-mike-golic-jr/

Quote:
Saints sign offensive lineman Mike Golic Jr.

Mike Golic Jr. is back for a second stint with the Saints.

New Orleans has re-signed Golic, the son of former NFL defensive lineman and current ESPN radio host Mike Golic. The transaction was announced in the NFL’s Thursday personnel notice.

The 25-year-old Golic spent less than a month with New Orleans last offseason before being waived in June. He also spent the 2013 preseason with the Steelers.

A Notre Dame product, Golic appeared in 40 career games for the Fighting Irish, starting all 13 games at guard as a senior in 2012.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/19/twenty-five-years-ago-sunday-the-colts-moved-up-for-jeff-george/

Quote:
Twenty-five years ago Sunday, the Colts moved up for Jeff George

The last two times the Colts selected No. 1 overall, they had a choice between two top quarterbacks. In 1998, Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf were at the head of the class, while in 2012, Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III had separated themselves from the passing pack.

The Colts, of course, chose wisely. Manning led them to 11 playoff berths and a Super Bowl, and Luck is for 3-for-3 in getting Indianapolis to the postseason.

However, some No. 1 picks don’t quite pan out as hoped.

Which brings us back to 1990.

The Colts sought a quarterback in the draft, but they had no first-round pick. So they got creative. They packaged two starters — left tackle Chris Hinton and wide receiver Andre Rison — and two draft picks, most notably a first-round selection in 1991. This enticed Atlanta, and 25 years ago Sunday, the teams struck a deal, with the Colts getting the No. 1 overall pick and a fourth-round pick. (ProSportsTransactions.com, which does such a nice job logging all of the details of old trades and signings, has the trade details and helped jog our memory.)

With the No. 1 selection, the Colts drafted Illinois quarterback Jeff George, who was far-and-away the top prospect at the position in the draft, especially with Dallas having selected Steve Walsh in the ’89 supplemental draft

It was a bold move for the Colts.

But it didn’t land them their long-term franchise quarterback.

In four seasons with Indianapolis, George led the Colts to one winning record, throwing 46 picks and just 41 touchdowns.

But when it came time to move on from George in 1994, the Colts were able to land a bushel of draft picks from their old friends, the Falcons, who needed a quarterback themselves and took the plunge on the talented-but-inconsistent passer.

In addition to getting the Falcons’ No. 1 pick in ’94, the Colts got a conditional 1996 second-round pick that could turn into a first-rounder if the Falcons won at least nine games in 1995 and George played at least three-quarters of the snaps in those games for Atlanta.

The Colts didn’t put the Falcons’ ’94 first-round pick to good use; they traded it to move up for Trev Alberts, per ProSportsTransactions.com.

But what about that conditional pick?

That was a different story, and a happy one for Indianapolis.

The Falcons went 9-7 in ’95, and George had one of his better seasons, throwing 24 TDs and just 11 picks and starting all 16 games. This earned the Colts the Falcons’ No. 1 pick in ’96.

And with that selection, the Colts took wide receiver Marvin Harrison, who had a banner career for Indianapolis — and whose last standout season came when the Colts captured Super Bowl XLI in 2006.

Sometimes, trades don’t work as hoped — but they work out all the same.

So it went for the Jeff George deal for the Colts.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:

NFL schedule getting released today.

So far two matchups have been confirmed.

Opening night, Steelers @ Pats at 5:30 pm on NBC.

Sunday night, Giants @ Cowboys at 5:30 pm on NBC.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject:

First opener in a while that completely sucks leading into the game. Usually the game is a blowout anyway but the matchups are usually way better. Should've been Pats-Bills to see Bill vs Rex.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how it's boring at all.

You have the defending champs and an all time great Brady against a rebuilt, young up and coming Steelers team that is gonna be a force next season with one of the best quarterbacks and a 2x champ in Big Ben.

The Sunday night game is questionable.

Dallas I understand, but a game against Green Bay would've been better. The drama after the Dez Bryant fiasco from the postseason and then returning to Green Bay.

Or Seattle at Green Bay after that wild NFC Championship Game.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

If the Miami Dolphins don't select a wide receiver in the 1st round, I will parachute naked into Davie Florida training facility as protest.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
If the Miami Dolphins don't select a wide receiver in the 1st round, I will parachute naked into Davie Florida training facility as protest.

some mocks have them selecting a RB in the first round like Gurley. as a colts fan, i find that hilarious considering you guys already have lamar miller, and we probably won't even select a RB in the first round despite our atrocious RB group (outside of Gore, but he could break down at any moment).
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

If Cooper, White, or Parker are available and we pass, I think fans would throw the GM naked into the Davie training facility, sans parachute.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject:

This is a very shallow draft. Outside of say 8 to 10 prospects, I don't see elite talent. Though mock drafts tend to be poor predictors, this year's draft will be even less predictable than in years past (in my opinion).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Yes, it looks thin at the top. Heck, even the elite players other than Amare Cooper don't seem as strong as in a typical year.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject:

Miami Dolphins sign Greg Jennings. Solid move. Veteran presence, role model and can mentor the young guys. However, the Dolphins better not think they are set at wideout. I still want to see a playmaker in Rd 1. We need a young stud receiver to grow with RT17. I like either Davante Parker or Jaelen Strong. Will be upset if we don't end up with one of those two. Then in the 2nd they can make their annual lineman selection.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject:

I prefer DeVante Parker; superior separation and quickness.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
LeGarrette Blount has been suspended for one regular season game as he tested positive for marijuana use.

He should have changed his name to something less conspicuous, like Chronic.

Damn, took me a second to get this post.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:

Continuing my thought on Jaelen Strong: He's someone who might be drafted anywhere between late first round to the third round. Could handle a similar role as DeVante Parker, namely a split end though he'd also look good in the slot. Has excellent vertical leaping skills, looks stronger and might be a good choice for a team like the Patriots. He does not have Parker's superior catch radius or separation skills, which is why I think Parker is the third best WR in the draft.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Miami Dolphins sign Greg Jennings. Solid move. Veteran presence, role model and can mentor the young guys. However, the Dolphins better not think they are set at wideout. I still want to see a playmaker in Rd 1. We need a young stud receiver to grow with RT17. I like either Davante Parker or Jaelen Strong. Will be upset if we don't end up with one of those two. Then in the 2nd they can make their annual lineman selection.

Jennings is over the hill but at least he didn't cost much and he'll actually put in effort unlike Wallace. I don't know that I would draft Strong so high in the 1st round (if we do, I hope it's a trade down).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Interesting project:

Jean Sifrin

http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/index.ssf/2014/09/video_check_out_umass_tight_en.html

That catch is insane. Nice soft hands, very good catching instincts. Unfortunately he'll be 28 next season and didn't have the best combine (6'5" not the listed 6'7" and his vert and speed didn't blow anyone away). Still, it looks like there are some serious raw NFL skills in Sifrin.

Someone might take a flier on him in the 7th round, or at least invite him to camp. I think he looks like a potentially decent joker tight end if he ends up with the right offensive coordinator.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Another interesting and relatively unknown prospect:

DT David Irving

versus Iowa:

Yes, #68 of Iowa is none other than blue chip, top 10 pick Brandon Scherff, who Irving knocks aside and sacks the QB.

Here's another tape of his insane athleticism, intercepting a pass versus TCU:

His measurables are off the charts. Let's compare him to to projected mid first round pick Arik Armstead, considered a raw but athletic DT:

Arik Armstead
height: 6'7"
weight: 292 lbs.
arm span: 33 inches
40 yard time: 5.10 seconds
bench: 24 reps
vertical: 34.0 inches
broad jump: 117.0 inches
3 cone: 7.57 seconds
20 yard: 4.53 seconds

David Irving
height: 6'7 3/4"
weight: 273 lbs.
wingspan: 87 3/4" (not arm span but... he supposedly can tie shoelaces standing up)
40 yard time: 4.84 seconds
bench:
vertical: 38 inches
broad jump: 128 inches
3 cone: 7.27 seconds
20 yard: 4.53 seconds

The problem is that Irving skipped this season after having been kicked off the team. He was arrested for getting carried away at a street party (or riot, according to the local papers). Needless to say, he probably wouldn't have been cited for this violation at your typical SEC school.

Irving projects to be a 7th round pick or go undrafted.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/23/32-former-players-scheduled-to-announce-second-round-picks/

Quote:
32 former players scheduled to announce second-round picks

For the fifth straight year, the NFL will have former NFL players announce second-round picks during the draft and they announced the list of participants on Thursday.

All 32 teams are currently scheduled to make a selection in the second round, but it seems inevitable that some of these players will be delayed until the third round by trades once the draft is underway.

Arizona Cardinals: Safety Adrian Wilson

Atlanta Falcons: Center Todd McClure

Baltimore Ravens: Cornerback Duane Starks

Buffalo Bills: Quarterback Jim Kelly

Carolina Panthers: Safety Pat Terrell

Chicago Bears: Linebacker Dick Butkus

Cincinnati Bengals: Running back Ickey Woods

Cleveland Browns: Cornerback Hanford Dixon

Dallas Cowboys: Safety Darren Woodson

Denver Broncos: Wide receiver Rick Upchurch

Detroit Lions: Linebacker Chris Spielman

Green Bay Packers: Wide receiver Donald Driver

Houston Texans: Safety Eric Brown

Indianapolis Colts: Wide receiver Bill Brooks

Jacksonville Jaguars: Fullback Greg Jones

Kansas City Chiefs: Cornerback Gary Green

Miami Dolphins: Center Dwight Stephenson

Minnesota Vikings: Linebacker E.J. Henderson

New England Patriots: Cornerback Ty Law

New Orleans Saints: Tackle Jon Stinchcomb

New York Giants: Safety Shaun Williams

New York Jets: Running back Emerson Boozer

Oakland Raiders: Cornerback Willie Brown

Philadelphia Eagles: Tackle Jon Runyan

Pittsburgh Steelers: Cornerback Mel Blount

St. Louis Rams: Linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa

San Diego Chargers: Wide receiver Anthony Miller

San Francisco 49ers: Defensive end/linebacker Charles Haley

Seattle Seahawks: Safety Kenny Easley

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Fullback Mike Alstott

Tennessee Titans: Tackle Michael Roos

Washington Redskins: Safety Brig Owens
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Jennings is over the hill but at least he didn't cost much and he'll actually put in effort unlike Wallace. I don't know that I would draft Strong so high in the 1st round (if we do, I hope it's a trade down).

I agree that Jennings is past his prime, still a solid veteran presence nonetheless. I hope the FO isn't satisfied with that receiving core. They need a stud young prospect that can project to be a no. 1 for the next 5-7 years, which they don't currently have. Love DeVante Parker, who reminds me a lot of A.J. Green. Certainly an ideal piece that you'd like to have grow next to Tannehill. However, if he's off the board, I wouldn't mind trading down like you mentioned to select Strong. He's big, "strong", and even though he lacks elite straight line speed, he's still got some great quickness and body control. I see a bit of Andre Johnson/Anquan Boldin in his game. Plus he is polished enough that he could make a difference right away. I think this draft has some tremendous receiving prospects, even beyond the top three. Would be really upset if we selected another lineman with the first pick.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

I agree that Jennings is past his prime, still a solid veteran presence nonetheless. I hope the FO isn't satisfied with that receiving core. They need a stud young prospect that can project to be a no. 1 for the next 5-7 years, which they don't currently have. Love DeVante Parker, who reminds me a lot of A.J. Green. Certainly an ideal piece that you'd like to have grow next to Tannehill. However, if he's off the board, I wouldn't mind trading down like you mentioned to select Strong. He's big, "strong", and even though he lacks elite straight line speed, he's still got some great quickness and body control. I see a bit of Andre Johnson/Anquan Boldin in his game. Plus he is polished enough that he could make a difference right away. I think this draft has some tremendous receiving prospects, even beyond the top three. Would be really upset if we selected another lineman with the first pick.

I would love us getting Parker (unless White drops to us). It's quite a decent WR class this year. Heck, I'd even settle for DGB though I'm not sold on Perriman. It's not a great OL class but we could still use someone to start at guard. CB is also a consideration if the big 3 are off the board and Waynes is available.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
The Grind wrote:

I would love us getting Parker (unless White drops to us). It's quite a decent WR class this year. Heck, I'd even settle for DGB though I'm not sold on Perriman. It's not a great OL class but we could still use someone to start at guard. CB is also a consideration if the big 3 are off the board and Waynes is available.

As a Dolphins fan, how would you feel about Todd Gurley?

I read a bit about Gurley's floor in the draft being Miami's spot since his medical record have become less of a concern. Pre-injury I was high on Gurley's stock, he's a talented dude. I'd be pleased if my Chargers picked him at #17.

RE: The OL class, I think there are several decent prospects. Scherff will likely be gone by that spot, but La'el Collins is a pretty good prospect, he has that mean streak that teams covet, will be a decent OG with the possibility of playing tackle too. Ereck Flowers is a good prospect too, Andrus Peat might work out good too.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
This is a very shallow draft. Outside of say 8 to 10 prospects, I don't see elite talent. Though mock drafts tend to be poor predictors, this year's draft will be even less predictable than in years past (in my opinion).

I agree, I even read an article that there were only 5 can't miss players in the draft. Luckily one is Kevin White who most mocks have going to the Bears at 7. I hope they then use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on Bryce Petty, I think he will end up being the best QB from this class.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 4 of 106
Jump to: