Minor things that annoy you about the NBA
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Minor things that annoy you about the NBA

We have plenty of topics covering the major issues: age limits, draft lottery system, salary cap, etc.

What about those small things that piss you off about the league? Feel free to add/comment Here are a few of mine:

1) Teams having 5,867 jerseys. Seriously. WTH? I tuned in to the Memphis/Chicago game yesterday and Chicago is wearing green/white jerseys. Why?? It looked like the Celtics vs. the Grizzlies. I understand the NBA has all these promotions (green week, noche latina, etc.) but do we really have to change the color scheme of the jersey? Why not just wear special warm up shirts? I also understand this is another money grab by the league but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Teams should at MOST have 4 jerseys. Home/Road/Alt/Special (can be retro, sleeved, etc).

2) Teams wearing their home jerseys on the road. This often happens because of complaint 1. See above.

3) Players whose faces I want to punch. I know nothing of these gentleman personally, just when I see them I get angry. Kelly Olynk, Victor Oladipo, Jae Crowder, Kenneth Faried, Demare Carroll, well pretty much anyone with dreads, Deion Waiters, & Kosta Koufos.

4) National TV coverage (specifically the play calling). This one almost goes without saying. Play calling in general has pretty much gone down the drain since the days of the simulcast are over. It's more two - three guys just having a conversation while the game is being played in the background than it is actual announcing nowadays. It was much better being more formal and descriptive IMO

So those are mine for now, what about you guys?

Last edited by 22 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

The lottery system. Has made for some unwatchable basketball.

Calling guys the Big Three or Four.

Unless the players are HOF-caliber players, no.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject:

the celtics
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Completely agreed. I saw an article earlier calling Curry, Klay, and Green the big three smh

Chronicle wrote:
the celtics

Agreed again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

Chris paul being on the all-defensive team
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

The Lebron Worshiping is annoying
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

How about the old term "3 headed monster" to describe the vaunted center trio of Luc Longley, Will Perdue and Bill Wennington ?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

intentional fouling on high percentage dunks or shots.... I feel like its a cop out on the defender and robs us fans of a great play
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject:

ESPN and ABC pregame and halftime coverage

Mike Breen

Jalen Rose

Too many interviews during the game. In-game interviews with coaches are terrible, as are any interview with someone in the crowd. We tune into a game to watch the actual game, dammit!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Minor things that annoy you about the NBA

22 wrote:

3) Players whose faces I want to punch.
So those are mine for now, what about you guys?

not only players how about all NBA personal

My List

David Stern
Dan Gilbert
Kevin McHale
Doc Rivers
Steve Ballmer and the Entire clipper organization
Mike Brown
Chandler Parsons
DWade
D Howard
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject:

You guys are bringing that fire! Completely agree with all complaint so far haha
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

1) Finely "crafted" games that are closer in score than they should be.
2) "Business reasons"
3) Taking 2 minutes to attempt a single freethrow.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Referees taking their sweet-ass time looking at video replays to see who the ball went off of, and then taking even more time to see how much time is on the clock. Then having that happen again and again during the same game.

The NBA seriously needs to revamp their foul/free throw rules to streamline the game. All non-shooting fouls after a team is over the limit in a quarter should give the offensive team a choice of shooting free throws or taking the ball out of bounds. No more hack-a-shaq. No more fouling at the end of a game to stop the clock. If you want to make a comeback then force a steal instead of fouling.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

"Calling guys the Big Three or Four. " - yinoma2001
    Really really good one

Stupid NBA promos where dull-eyed players with boring voices say something just to get it over with. They sound lifeless, so why bother?

David Stern and "Business reasons" - not MINOR things.

Adam Silver's ears and head, and general turnip-headedness physically.

short term memory in fans and media

Sometimes not all the time Shaq being so self-centered and thinking he's hilarious (mostly he is, but not every dang joke)
    Shaq not working harder (pet peeve for a guy with talent almost beyond compare)

The fact that on ESPN's NBA Tonight they rarely closeup on that hostess

Players/facepunch/Waiters - yes, Dwight too

Players thinking a god wants them to win and the other team to lose

Agents

That I'm not in the NBA
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
The Lebron Worshiping is annoying

He may be a great player, but it's ridiculous when people like Barkley and Simmons claim that he's as great as or greater than Jordan was in his prime. Lebron isn't even as great as Kobe was in his prime.

The Lebron hype machine is so excessive that I feel many fans aren't even buying into it like they did with Jordan.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:

20 second timeouts that last 60+ seconds.

60 second timeouts that last 120+ seconds.

Combinations of the above that make the last two minutes of a game last so long that the players just about need to warm up again.

PA announcers that sound like they're working a strip club.

Arenas that keep playing music after the game resumes.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Flopping

Celebrities coming getting the spotlight on nationally televised games. Seeing Drake or Ashton Kutcher's face 30 times during the game is annoying.

ESPN

Terrible commentary from terrible ex basketball players. If you were a good player and you gave terrible commentary thats okay, but its inexcusable from Tim Legler and Jon Barry

When players (or anyone) wear those glass frames without lens. It doesn't make them look any smarter at all

PA announcers and Referees thats think they're part of the show.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject:

The politics.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Flopping

Celebrities coming getting the spotlight on nationally televised games. Seeing Drake or Ashton Kutcher's face 30 times during the game is annoying.

ESPN

Terrible commentary from terrible ex basketball players. If you were a good player and you gave terrible commentary thats okay, but its inexcusable from Tim Legler and Jon Barry

When players (or anyone) wear those glass frames without lens. It doesn't make them look any smarter at all

PA announcers and Referees thats think they're part of the show.

This a million times! The Miami Heat guy has to be the most unbearable PA announcer I've ever heard in my life. I recall a game last year after Wade scored, the other team took the ball and scored before this clown finished screaming out his long, elongated pronunciation of his name. Makes me more and more grateful of the classy-ness of Lawrence Tanter.

As for things that annoy me me about the NBA:

- The fact that it can take a good 2 minutes to review a play that is so obvious to the human eye. Make the call, figure out the game clock and lets go!

- I don't get why the referee needs to touch the ball just about before every inbounds play (not talking about after made baskets, but sideline out of bounds). I've seen many instances where the players are ready to go and inbound (with the ball), but the ref blows the whistle and demands the ball back, bounces it a few times and passes it back to the player. It's like they're going out of their way to express their authority

- Point guards who refuse to inbound the damn ball after a made basket. Derek Fisher used to do this all the time and it really irked me. He'd stand there (sometimes for a good 5 seconds) and wait until somebody else would come and inbound. It's like, inbound the damn ball. We know you're the point guard and you'll get it right back.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Moronic Millennial bench antics for any above-mediocre play by a teammate at both college and pro levels. As much as I think that's as played out as raising the roof, it somehow lingers on. I'm pretty sure that Chandler Parsons, for example, is not capable of making a play that legitimately causes teammates' heads to spin and necessitates their bench stiff to keep them from rushing the floor. That sh has to be kept at a level of play that would garner the same treatment by the crowd at Ruckers. It looks effin ridiculous otherwise. Only 15 yrs ago, the Lakers did that to a play the magnitude of Kobe....TO SHAQ! (RAAAAH!) Now it happens with Frank Kaminsky at Wisconsin Univ.

Please, sons...

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Minor things that annoy you about the NBA

22 wrote:
1) Teams having 5,867 jerseys. Seriously. WTH? I tuned in to the Memphis/Chicago game yesterday and Chicago is wearing green/white jerseys. Why?? It looked like the Celtics vs. the Grizzlies. I understand the NBA has all these promotions (green week, noche latina, etc.) but do we really have to change the color scheme of the jersey? Why not just wear special warm up shirts? I also understand this is another money grab by the league but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Teams should at MOST have 4 jerseys. Home/Road/Alt/Special (can be retro, sleeved, etc).

This, a thousand times. Jesus, I even hate the Lakers white jerseys.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Minor things that annoy you about the NBA

danzag wrote:
22 wrote:

This, a thousand times. Jesus, I even hate the Lakers white jerseys.

The 5867 alt jerseys look garbage. That should be reason enough for them not to cheapen their branding (Adidas unis are inferior to previous eras, to begin with). Who honestly cares about some quasi-pro team from Memphis before the Grizz? The Xmas jerseys are garbage. Makes you wonder who the genius is that conceives of this silly sh. How many of those really sell? WHO AAAAARE THESE PEOPLE?!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject:

All in on "players faces I want to punch"
Just crazy ugly annoying grills. Jordan hill on our squad, Farried being the leader of the club outside our team.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject:

The concentrated pattern of key injuries that's plagued the league since the 2011 lockout. Sure, there's always been an All-Star or key role player that shifted the balance of a conference, but look at the injured list of top players this season, and show me a comparable year before 2011.

Team matchups/rivalries, especially in the regular season, just lose meaning. Pile the CBA, tank strategy, touch fouls/flops, and the "it's just a game" Millennial attitude, on top of the league's star players going down, and the competitive fire is a far cry from just a few years ago.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject:

Jerseys with "El Heat". What the hell is that, spanglish? "El Calor", maybe.

The fact flopping is not punished during the game.

I hate the "Hack a Shaq", fouls like that at mid-court away from the ball, should be flagrant.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: