Minor things that annoy you about the NBA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Minor things that annoy you about the NBA

22 wrote:
We have plenty of topics covering the major issues: age limits, draft lottery system, salary cap, etc.

What about those small things that piss you off about the league? Feel free to add/comment Here are a few of mine:

1) Teams having 5,867 jerseys. Seriously. WTH? I tuned in to the Memphis/Chicago game yesterday and Chicago is wearing green/white jerseys. Why?? It looked like the Celtics vs. the Grizzlies. I understand the NBA has all these promotions (green week, noche latina, etc.) but do we really have to change the color scheme of the jersey? Why not just wear special warm up shirts? I also understand this is another money grab by the league but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Teams should at MOST have 4 jerseys. Home/Road/Alt/Special (can be retro, sleeved, etc).

2) Teams wearing their home jerseys on the road. This often happens because of complaint 1. See above.

3) Players whose faces I want to punch. I know nothing of these gentleman personally, just when I see them I get angry. Kelly Olynk, Victor Oladipo, Jae Crowder, Kenneth Faried, Demare Carroll, well pretty much anyone with dreads, Deion Waiters, & Kosta Koufos.

4) National TV coverage (specifically the play calling). This one almost goes without saying. Play calling in general has pretty much gone down the drain since the days of the simulcast are over. It's more two - three guys just having a conversation while the game is being played in the background than it is actual announcing nowadays. It was much better being more formal and descriptive IMO

So those are mine for now, what about you guys?

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
Jerseys with "El Heat". What the hell is that, spanglish? "El Calor", maybe.

The fact flopping is not punished during the game.

I hate the "Hack a Shaq", fouls like that at mid-court away from the ball, should be flagrant.

I hate when "Hack a _____" is applied to every single player that is intentionally fouled in order to send them to the FT line.

IT WAS CALLED HACK-A-SHAQ BECAUSE THAT PHRASE RHYMES, YOU MORONS!!!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Minor things that annoy you about the NBA

GoldenThroat wrote:

http://media.giphy.com/media/cQtlhD48EG0SY/giphy.gif

Get off my lawn...

The only diff is that there will be no patience and understanding gained at the end as there was in the film.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Isn't it "Los Heat"? Heat would be a brand name, so it wouldn't be translated.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:

The fact flopping is not punished during the game.

I hate the "Hack a Shaq", fouls like that at mid-court away from the ball, should be flagrant.

I hate when "Hack a _____" is applied to every single player that is intentionally fouled in order to send them to the FT line.

IT WAS CALLED HACK-A-SHAQ BECAUSE THAT PHRASE RHYMES, YOU MORONS!!!

But Hack-A-Deandre rolls off the tongue so well
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
20 second timeouts that last 60+ seconds.

60 second timeouts that last 120+ seconds.

Combinations of the above that make the last two minutes of a game last so long that the players just about need to warm up again.

PA announcers that sound like they're working a strip club.

Arenas that keep playing music after the game resumes.

When I tell my wife there's "just 2 minutes left," she knows I'll be up to bed in about 15 minutes.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

* Guys getting fist bumps after missing a free throw. Happens at all levels obviously, but NBA is really annoying. I don't get it. What are you congratulating them for? The game LeBron botched all the FTs against Houston, he missed the first of 2 and put his hand back expecting someone to come up to give him a bump. It's so ingrained. Thankfully that time no one did and he was left hanging.

* The Deadspin fetishization of certain clips and players. Wow, I'm really a grouchy old man with this one. But still...Every day Deadspin's NBA coverage basically just consists of 200 words about a certain clip. Usually from Curry, Greek Freak, or Anthony Davis. Mostly it's Tom Ley's descriptions -- over the top, incredulous -- of the play that annoy so this is a Deadspin thing more than NBA complaint. And mostly this is just because I'm mad that this technology didn't exist when Magic played because despite all the great passes he's made, there's probably like 6,000 amazing ones that we'll never see again because the video's gone.

* NBA Twitter. Again, not an NBA complaint as much a people on Twitter complaint. It's just an annoying group of people who generally think they are smarter than every coach, GM, and player in the league, mixed in with vines of someone saying, "Klay Thompson...ridiculous."

* Flopping. Oldie but goodie. But still very annoying. I blame the refs. Don't call it, it'll stop. Fines won't do anything.

* PA guys. Again, I'm so old and grouchy. But yes, give me Lawrence Tanter and the Forum crowd rhythmically clapping before a big game, lights on.

* MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

TOO many .gifs
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Minor things that annoy you about the NBA

non-player zealot wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Get off my lawn...

The only diff is that there will be no patience and understanding gained at the end as there was in the film.

Yes!

This was totally a "get off my lawn" post!

Or it could be festivus and I'm airing my grievances lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

Isn't it "Los Heat"? Heat would be a brand name, so it wouldn't be translated.

In Portuguese it is "Os Heat", plural.However in Brazil they say "O Heat", singular.
In Spain it is "Los Heat", but in mexican TV I once heard "El Heat", honoring the singular.

Could be America vs Europe?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

The product has deteriorated so much that detailing how with any specificity actually does make someone sound like a crotchety, bitter old coot angry at and out of touch with this generation of youth, except it's not as arbitrary as some old-world bastardt curmudging about you kids and yer music and yer tattoos--there has been a finite slouch in the NBA's presentation, and it took just a single generation to go down the tubes/hell in a handbasket/etc.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:

Out of all the extra jerseys, I hate these the most.

I don't like players on opposing teams acting buddy-buddy during the game. You're at war while on the court.

This isn't a minor thing, in my opinion, but how about teams taking all their shots either in the paint or behind the three-point line, all in the name of 'efficiency.' I'll take aesthetics over mathematics some time.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
The product has deteriorated so much that detailing how with any specificity actually does make someone sound like a crotchety, bitter old coot angry at and out of touch with this generation of youth, except it's not as arbitrary as some old-world bastardt curmudging about you kids and yer music and yer tattoos--there has been a finite slouch in the NBA's presentation, and it took just a single generation to go down the tubes/hell in a handbasket/etc.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
C M B wrote:

http://media.giphy.com/media/BTDFQ527nyoWk/giphy.gif

Would it kill you to buy American?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Minor things that annoy you about the NBA

22 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Get off my lawn...

Yes!

This was totally a "get off my lawn" post!

Or it could be festivus and I'm airing my grievances lol

And GoldenThroat doesn't even have to post gifs of Walt per se. He can just post just about any Clint gif since Heartbreak Ridge. He can post a gif of Clint shouting at an empty chair. He could post a gif of "You'd better bury Ned RIGHT!"
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
The product has deteriorated so much that detailing how with any specificity actually does make someone sound like a crotchety, bitter old coot angry at and out of touch with this generation of youth, except it's not as arbitrary as some old-world bastardt curmudging about you kids and yer music and yer tattoos--

there has been a finite slouch in the NBA's presentation, and it took just a single generation to go down the tubes/hell in a handbasket/etc.

That's what SAE is claiming about the Millennial social tards in their ranks.

In a span of 12-20 yrs, the GQ/Cigar Afficionado image (old JFK, Pat Riley, Billy Dee Williams, Marvin Gaye, KBCB, Chick, Bob Barker, Hefner, Ricardo Montalban, Telly Savales, Bond, Dos Eqquis guy styles: masculine, smooth, debonair, worldly, players, etc) that the top players tried to present to Average Joe morphed into an era where the nitwit torch bearer of the league danced around on the sideline like a cretin with no self-awareness, and who also got his teammates to do silly ass Family Feud poses for the cams. Those kind of attention whoo-wer displays along with the bench antics look low rent and portray an uncaring attitude towards competition (no matter how unfounded the perception might actually be). I know there's nothing fundamentally wrong with that stuff, but it's like "Holdat!" These clowns today embrace whatever looks unprofessional and puerile/childish. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this point, but bear in mind that I didn't forget to buy eyeglasses that actually have lenses in them (call me crazy). I don't purposely dress like Urkel (call me unstylish). I don't get this era. Pisses me off, because they made me become Walter about 4 decades sooner than they did in previous generations.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:
The product has deteriorated so much that detailing how with any specificity actually does make someone sound like a crotchety, bitter old coot angry at and out of touch with this generation of youth, except it's not as arbitrary as some old-world bastardt curmudging about you kids and yer music and yer tattoos--

there has been a finite slouch in the NBA's presentation, and it took just a single generation to go down the tubes/hell in a handbasket/etc.

In a span of 12-20 yrs, the GQ/Cigar Afficionado image (old JFK, Pat Riley, Billy Dee Williams, Marvin Gaye, KBCB, Chick, Bob Barker, Hefner, Ricardo Montalban, Telly Savales, Bond, Dos Eqquis guy styles: masculine, smooth, debonair, worldly, players, etc) that the top players tried to present to Average Joe morphed into an era where the nitwit torch bearer of the league danced around on the sideline like a cretin with no self-awareness, and who also got his teammates to do silly ass Family Feud poses for the cams. Those kind of attention whorish displays along with the bench antics look low rent and portray an uncaring attitude towards competition (no matter how unfounded the perception might actually be). I know there's nothing fundamentally wrong about that stuff, but it's like "Holdat!" These clowns today embrace whatever looks unprofessional and puerile/childish. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this point, but bear in mind that I didn't forget to buy eyeglasses that actually have lenses in them (call me crazy). I don't purposely dress like Urkel (call me unstylish). I don't get this era. Pisses me off, because they made me become Walter about 4 decades sooner than they did in previous generations.

I think it's a huge blowback to the angst, negativity and cynicism of our generation that ended with the last of the Gen X'ers (Kobe and KG at their age is probably right at the tail end of that group). All Disneyland and grab-ass until the next crazy (bleep) loses it on campus.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject:

My brother and I joke around all the time that by the time we're old and gray the NBA will look completely different.
I say the key will be a trampoline and there will be a 4 and 5 point line. And we'll sound like the oldies nowadays who try to explain to me how much better Jerry West and Oscar Robertson's stats would've been with a 3 point line.

My brother always likes upping the joke to the next level. He says the NBA will be playing Quidditch by the time we're old. Instead of rim-protectors we'll be talking about how the Lakers need a better "keeper" to make the finals.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject:

I think we can all agree that we love this though.

https://vine.co/v/O9Ore12QzHQ
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:

In a span of 12-20 yrs, the GQ/Cigar Afficionado image (old JFK, Pat Riley, Billy Dee Williams, Marvin Gaye, KBCB, Chick, Bob Barker, Hefner, Ricardo Montalban, Telly Savales, Bond, Dos Eqquis guy styles: masculine, smooth, debonair, worldly, players, etc) that the top players tried to present to Average Joe morphed into an era where the nitwit torch bearer of the league danced around on the sideline like a cretin with no self-awareness, and who also got his teammates to do silly ass Family Feud poses for the cams. Those kind of attention whoo-wer displays along with the bench antics look low rent and portray an uncaring attitude towards competition (no matter how unfounded the perception might actually be). I know there's nothing fundamentally wrong with that stuff, but it's like "Holdat!" These clowns today embrace whatever looks unprofessional and puerile/childish. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this point, but bear in mind that I didn't forget to buy eyeglasses that actually have lenses in them (call me crazy). I don't purposely dress like Urkel (call me unstylish). I don't get this era. Pisses me off, because they made me become Walter about 4 decades sooner than they did in previous generations.

We are going to be the oldest group of old people that the world has ever seen. Culture, technology, and social norms are moving exponentially faster than they ever have before. The term "old school" gets applied to things that happened 10 years ago, for chrissakes. I can't imagine what that gap's going to look like in 40 years.

BTW, you have the best sig on LG.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

that lady looked like she had a bloody nose or at worse broken....
bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject:

I hate how any lebron james superteam gets a cakewalk to the NBA finals every year (including this year) in a weak, weak, weak eastern conference, while in the west, teams are already killing each other at war in round 1.

They need to revise playoff seeding to balance things out.

I also do not like the 5000+ jerseys as OP said.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

Flopping
refs
focusing on individuals as if the rest of the team doesn't matter
star players don't go at each other (especially defensively)
lack of fundamentals
too much pick and roll
big men shooting long jumpers
players with no post game
intentional fouls
jumping into defensive players to draw fouls

how many can I give?
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

The foul out rule. It's always been accepted but it still doesn't validate its' use. Players play timid, the same players who customers paid to see. Just make it so severe a penalty for a player with six fouls or whatever.

Severe like after 6 fouls if the player fouls again the opposing team gets like four free throws or something like that. But take that crappy rule out. The only ejection should be for a flagrant foul.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

The lady holding the phone should have been the one to get hit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: