Minor things that annoy you about the NBA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Minor things that annoy you about the NBA

22 wrote:

4) National TV coverage (specifically the play calling). This one almost goes without saying. Play calling in general has pretty much gone down the drain since the days of the simulcast are over. It's more two - three guys just having a conversation while the game is being played in the background than it is actual announcing nowadays. It was much better being more formal and descriptive IMO

Jesus H. Christ on a stick. My gripes about the presentation of BBall (Especially on ESPN) go way back. I also feel Networks do a piss poor job of trying to explain the game to viewers (TNT's roundtable has really gone down the drain, it's basically the "Charles mumbles about random (bleep)" show now). Instead of getting technical and explaining why Westbrook (bleep) on some crappy team from the East, we get the usual nonsense phrases: "Makes teammates better""Defense without fouling" blah blah blah. If you want tohear the poster child for this crap, listen to any game that has Reggie Miller as an announcer.

Your point about a bunch of guys taking with the game as some weird background decoration is so spot on. Quit talking about some lame ass storyline you got from the New York office and talk about the (bleep) game in progress.

*Brandishes shotgun while sitting in rocking chair*

!...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
I think we can all agree that we love this though.

https://vine.co/v/O9Ore12QzHQ

The lady holding the phone should have been the one to get hit.

It should have ricocheted off one's face into the other.
danish87
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject:

All ESPN analysts.... so little actual basketball discussed...

"he's my #1 mvp vote" "he [shots] too much" "X player is the best at Y position right now" (this changes a week later, based on which player is on national tv and plays well)... "X is the team to beat"
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
The foul out rule. It's always been accepted but it still doesn't validate its' use. Players play timid, the same players who customers paid to see. Just make it so severe a penalty for a player with six fouls or whatever.

Severe like after 6 fouls if the player fouls again the opposing team gets like four free throws or something like that. But take that crappy rule out. The only ejection should be for a flagrant foul.

I think the worst part of the rule is that it has always been bent for the players that customers paid to see. A superstar player isn't going to get a quick 2nd foul in the 1st quarter. They will either let it go or they'll give it to a nearby player. If they aren't going to apply the rule fairly, what's the use of having it?
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Jon Barry
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject:

1. Players talking about their "brand."
2. Players whining after every foul.
3. Grumpy old players criticizing how these dang younguns don't play the game like they did
4. Players tweeting trite/stupid opinions 24-7
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

3. Grumpy old players criticizing how these dang younguns don't play the game like they did

Cmon, verb, it's rite of passage. These current young guys will be complaining about young players of tomorrow wearing full body suits with headgear (made by UA). The young players of tomorrow will be criticized for having their holograms show up to post game interviews and even their holograms will be aholes. The ball of tomorrow will be made of a synthetic composite material instead of leather and the league will move the 3 pt arc into 22 feet -- stupid sh like that. You will be cheering the Los Angeles Geicolakers as they battle the Denver Chicken McNuggets and the New York Comcastknicks. The Geicolakers will still be rebuilding by then.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Cmon, verb, it's rite of passage. These current young guys will be complaining about young players of tomorrow wearing full body suits with headgear (made by UA). The young players of tomorrow will be criticized for having their holograms show up to post game interviews and even their holograms will be aholes. The ball of tomorrow will be made of a synthetic composite material instead of leather and the league will move the 3 pt arc into 22 feet -- stupid sh like that. You will be cheering the Los Angeles Geicolakers as they battle the Denver Chicken McNuggets and the New York Comcastknicks. The Geicolakers will still be rebuilding by then.

Activeverb wash your hands and feet and kneel on both knees as you read this glorious post by the sapient savant. Appreciate what you've just read and don't you damn dare blink your eyes for the next 10 minutes incase a single ocular molecule didn't absorb every minut detail of data. His words should be chiseled into (bleep) Fred Flintstone tablets so that future holograms will one day discover them in ocean abysses and be guided by them. All hail the NPZ.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:

The whole 82-game regular season system.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Activeverb wash your hands and feet and kneel on both knees as you read this glorious post by the sapient savant. Appreciate what you've just read and don't you damn dare blink your eyes for the next 10 minutes incase a single ocular molecule didn't absorb every minut detail of data. His words should be chiseled into (bleep) Fred Flintstone tablets so that future holograms will one day discover them in ocean abysses and be guided by them. All hail the NPZ.

Haha. Activeverb hasn't been taken into the cult yet, but he can't resist forever. Keep on him, homie. I gotta have at least one of Verb or Aeneas Hunter in the flock before Hale Bopp makes it return. You will captain the ship on our ascent.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I gotta have at least one of Verb or Aeneas Hunter in the flock before Hale Bopp makes it return. You will captain the ship on our ascent.

Do I have to eat at Marie Callender's and wear Nikes? I dunno about that.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Haha. Activeverb hasn't been taken into the cult yet, but he can't resist forever. Keep on him, homie. I gotta have at least one of Verb or Aeneas Hunter in the flock before Hale Bopp makes it return. You will captain the ship on our ascent.

AV is too contrarian and AH too grumpy old manish to ever be inculcated. And yeah, AH, I said "inculcated." Go on and call me a pretentious bastard.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Your theories intrigue me. Is there a book I can read about this, or a video I can watch, or a personality test I can take? And how many celebrities are in this cult? Tell me more.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
AV is too contrarian and AH too grumpy old manish to ever be inculcated. And yeah, AH, I said "inculcated." Go on and call me a pretentious bastard.

I really don't need to do that, do I?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:

I really don't need to do that, do I?

You mean again? I guess not!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't recall using the word "bastard."
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I don't recall using the word "bastard."

Dramatic license.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject:

I love how players like Matt Barnes stand in the opposing teams huddle when the refs are reviewing plays.

Technically it isn't a timeout, so players can stand anywhere they want. And why should the opposing team get private time to set up their next play?

I know this thread is supposed to be about little things we don't like, but I'm a rebel.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject:

How about some non-generational gripes? Some of these have recurred incessantly in similar threads here throughout the years or at least they're consinstent complaints in general NBA conversation elsewhere.

-82 games is excessive. A schedule closer to half as long would improve all aspects of gameplay. Less money for all involved, but (bleep) them, the league exists for the consumer.

-25 teams is plenty. Not every city that currently has a team deserves one, nor should teams necessarily play against each and every other team. When in the last 30 years was it ever eventful for the Kings to play the Nets? Who, aside from a handful of lumberjacks, bar patrons, and truckers, benefits from a Bucks/Raptors game on a couple of tuesday nights out of the year?

-Eliminate the charging foul. I've always found it bizarre that there is a rule which rewards and encourages a player who, in the middle of a defensive play, stops moving his hands and feet, goes stiff like a catatonic, at which point he is no longer playing basketball. Removing this type of foul would also drastically reduce if not condemn defensive flopping altogether, thus sparing referees the ambuguity of interpreting block/charge calls, giving them one less opportunity for abusive/creative officiating, and, most importantly, saves the world from having to view players doing their best Tim_Duncan_what_did_I_do.jpg face.

-Uniform shorts are far, far too long. The 90s shorts-lenghening movement created a fashion culture in which every baby's daddy at any LA bus stop east of the 405 and south of the 10 wears these XXXXL shorts, even if they're only 5'4". And it's bad enough that people wear these when they play ball, but they've also become the peasant's 'round-the-clock pants choice. Gotta go refill the propane tank for my trailer? Gotta go steal some swisher sweets from the corner store? Gotta go to a probation hearing and then swing by the vape shop? Put on some gigantic god damned basketball shorts with tube socks and Air Jordan slippers.

-Players and coaches shouldn't be forced to interact with the media. If I don't get to listen Kendrick "Winston Churchill" Perkins or Mike "Mike D'Antoni" D'Antoni begrudgingly attempt to use English in a postgame or pregame interview, hey, I won't die. I could probably use my imagination to construct an interview containing what they'd probably say using the standard presser building blocks:

"You know"

"Uh"

"Basically"

"just gotta go out there"

"<angry sigh>"

"just go out there and play our game"

"We just gotta find a way to not let them play dey game"

"We jus basically uh, you know, played our game"

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject:

^ If charging was eliminated the NBA would turn into a variation of Rugby.
Offensive players would just bowl over guys and put their shoulder in the defenders chest all-day/everyday. I would! Plus they'd get the foul call!
Defenders would be even more helpless than they are now without hand checking.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
^ If charging was eliminated the NBA would turn into a variation of Rugby.
Offensive players would just bowl over guys and put their shoulder in the defenders chest all-day/everyday. I would! Plus they'd get the foul call!
Defenders would be even more helpless than they are now without hand checking.

This is a good thing. Plus, it wouldn't be rugby, there'd still be other offensive fouls called, just not the was he moving, was he not moving, was he behind the line crap which currently terrorizes the game.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject:

You don't need to be stationary to draw a charge, while it's common, you can be moving backwards and realistically even slightly sideways so long as the minor corrections don't alter the contact.

C M B wrote:

This is a good thing. Plus, it wouldn't be rugby, there'd still be other offensive fouls called, just not the was he moving, was he not moving, was he behind the line crap which currently terrorizes the game.

What other fouls? if i elbow you in the face while i have the ball, that's actually a charging foul (there are only 4 fouls in basketball btw, push, hold, charge, block).
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
You don't need to be stationary to draw a charge, while it's common, you can be moving backwards and realistically even slightly sideways so long as the minor corrections don't alter the contact.

Exactly!

Telleris wrote:
C M B wrote:

What other fouls? if i elbow you in the face while i have the ball, that's actually a charging foul (there are only 4 fouls in basketball btw, push, hold, charge, block).

Just add in an "Elbowing foul". Then it'd be "push, hold, block, elbow".

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject:

The disappearance of the mid range game. It's like all I see are dunks, free throws and threes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: