Which Lakers Playoff Series loss was hardest for you to accept?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Lakers Playoff Series loss was hardest for you to accept?
2011, Round 2: Swept by Mavericks in Phil's last season
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
2008, Finals: Losing to Boston in a blowout
47%
 47%  [ 49 ]
2006, 1st round: Losing to Phoenix after being up 3-1
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
2004, Finals: Losing to Pistons, dynasty (supposedly) over
25%
 25%  [ 27 ]
1999, 2nd round: Swept by Spurs
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1998, 3rd round: Swept by Jazz
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 104

R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Which Lakers Playoff Series loss was hardest for you to accept?

Even though we're not in the Playoffs this year, watching the games has given me a few random flashbacks to previous years.

Of the ones listed from the last 20 seasons...which one was the hardest for you to watch and accept?

For me personally, it was 2004 against the Pistons, because of all the rumors of Shaq and even Kobe leaving. When that game ended, I just felt a wild type of anger. Even in 2008 and 1999, it felt like "ok, we're almost there...next year should be it." But 2004 felt like it was all over.

2011 was a horrible series, maybe the worst one as far as competitiveness goes...and the way it ended was just embarrassing. It still felt like we had a chance to recover...even though we see how that turned out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

Celtics. Always personal.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

2011, Round 2: Swept by Mavericks in Phil's last season sad way to end his coaching career. I knew at the time our core roster was getting too old and past their prime Kobe, Gasol, MWP to win any championship being contender was over. The writing was on the wall we should of started rebuild right then and there instead of trying to prolong the inevitable to end up where we are atm.
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Celtics. Always personal.

It was. As bad as it felt, I figured we would come back and beat them the next year, just like 84 and 85...so I was mad, but at least the team felt like we were there. A year earlier, felt like Kobe still might leave, and like our team wasn't even a contender.

But yeah...eff the Celts LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

Two come to mind for me:

2003. Robert Horry's in and out in game 5, in what would have been a monumental comeback win. Then to get destroyed at Staples in game 6. Devastating. Stopped any hopes of a four-peat. But in a way it shows how special the early 2000s Lakers were. 2003 was possibly San Antonio's best team that decade, yet it took a bad bounce at the rim (a shot Horry was notorious for making) for them to finally dethrone us.

Then of course there is 2008. To almost pull a comeback win in game 2 (but not quite) was gut-wrenching enough. But then to see those damn green people accomplish the same feat in game 4 was just a dagger. Ironically, I remember being most depressed for game 5, because I knew the team would fight for their lives and barely pull out a win. Yet, I knew the series would be over in game 6. The way Boston was playing, there's no way we were wining in Boston (much less twice). Personally, I felt we were cheated in game 2. But that's my opinion, and I won't express it in detail. But to see the Celts gradually overpower the Lakers over the course of six games was just the bitterest pill to swallow. Only good part was it made the '10 championship that much sweeter.

Last edited by panamaniac on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:36 am; edited 2 times in total
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Two come to mind for me:

2003. Robert Horry's in and out in game 5, in what would have been a monumental comeback win. Then to get destroyed at Staples in game 6. Devastating. Stopped any hopes of a four-peat. But in a way it shows how special the early 2000s Lakers were. 2003 was possibly San Antonio's best team that decade, yet it took a bad bounce at the rim (a shot Horry was notorious for making) for them to finally dethrone us.

Then of course there is 2008. To almost pull a comeback win in game 2 (but not quite) was gut busting enough. But then to see those damn green people accomplish the same feat in game 4 was just a dagger. Ironically, I remember being most depressed for game 5, because I knew the team would fight for their lives and barely pull out a win. Yet, I knew the series would be over in game 6. The way Boston was playing, there's no way we were wining in Boston (much less twice). Personally, I felt we were cheated in game 2. But that's my opinion, and I won't express it in detail. But to see the Celts gradually overpower the Lakers over the course of six games was just the bitterest pill to swallow. Only good part was it made the '10 championship that much sweeter.

Maaaaaaaaaaan that Game 2.

I remember being in Vegas, and I had an old Blackberry with bad service...so it took literally 40 minutes to get onto LG and find the post that showed where Laker fans watch games in Vegas. We found it, got there early, and we were DEEEEP. Game was horrible until that comeback started, and we got exciiiiiiiiiiiiiited!!! Then............................eh. We lost.

Yeah, that whole series just felt bad. But that Game 7 comeback in 2010 made up for it.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:

2008. Game 4.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

Losing to PHX after being up 3-1. Monumental collapse and a waste of some huge Kobe heroics.

I know, we didn't have a chance to win it all but that was a bit of a Cinderella team and I wanted the fairytale to continue.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

THOSE DAMN CELTICS 2008... we would've tied them up then and be up one by now
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

2004. Watching the league manufacture Least Coast relevance. I went from an NBA fan to strictly a Laker fan that week.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

Of those, it was the 04 finals. But my all time toughest was the 89 team not getting the threepeat because of injury to Scott and Magic.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

'86
Rockets
Game 5

Cooper under the basket =

Or '89 against the Pistons when we lost both Magic and Scott.

Both of those still hurt.
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Losing to PHX after being up 3-1. Monumental collapse and a waste of some huge Kobe heroics.

I know, we didn't have a chance to win it all but that was a bit of a Cinderella team and I wanted the fairytale to continue.

ALL BECAUSE LAMAR DIDN'T GET THAT REBOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Two come to mind for me:

Then of course there is 2008. To almost pull a comeback win in game 2 (but not quite) was gut-wrenching enough. But then to see those damn green people accomplish the same feat in game 4 was just a dagger. Ironically, I remember being most depressed for game 5, because I knew the team would fight for their lives and barely pull out a win. Yet, I knew the series would be over in game 6. The way Boston was playing, there's no way we were wining in Boston (much less twice). Personally, I felt we were cheated in game 2. But that's my opinion, and I won't express it in detail. But to see the Celts gradually overpower the Lakers over the course of six games was just the bitterest pill to swallow. Only good part was it made the '10 championship that much sweeter.

This will always be one of my most painful memories. I remember being really pissed at Shaq all summer after that because we were forced to run Horry into the ground during the regular season to cover for his "on company time" recovery.

Horry had been incredible all year, played HUGE minutes, but was just too gassed by the playoffs. I 100% believe that if Horry hadn't had to play such heavy regular season minutes, that shot would have dropped and we would have 4-peated.
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

tony smith wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Two come to mind for me:

This will always be one of my most painful memories. I remember being really pissed at Shaq all summer after that because we were forced to run Horry into the ground during the regular season to cover for his "on company time" recovery.

Horry had been incredible all year, played HUGE minutes, but was just too gassed by the playoffs. I 100% believe that if Horry hadn't had to play such heavy regular season minutes, that shot would have dropped and we would have 4-peated.

With him being so gassed for the whole playoffs, it wasn't even just about that one shot, because we may have been up enough to not depend on him to come through for that.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

2008 was tough too getting blown out especially to Celtics of all teams. That final loss hurt badly.
mbright
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

F Tim Thomas

F Leon Powe

enough said
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

Game 6, 1984 Playoffs. I was there when James Worthy threw away the ball to lose the game.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

R-Tistic wrote:
tony smith wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Two come to mind for me:

With him being so gassed for the whole playoffs, it wasn't even just about that one shot, because we may have been up enough to not depend on him to come through for that.

I agree completely. That in and out shot just became a clear symbol for me that encapsulated the whole messed up situation we'd found ourselves in.
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

If only we could've somehow won game 2 in Boston and if Kobe hits that game winning 3 at end of game 1 2011 we probably win the series. I felt like that miss was a sign, and it was in a way.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject:

Boston.
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

In my lifetime, I don't think 08 Celtics will ever be topped.

One thats not on the list that was rough was 2012 OKC. We absolutely choked away both games 2 and 4 in the 4th Quarter. We really should've been up 3-1 going into game 5 instead of down
Daloyalfan16
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

1. 2003 - Spurs
2. 2006 - Phoenix
3. 2004 - Pistons
4. 2008 - Celtics (Despite the loss I had confidence in the future)
5. 2012 - OKC (Same as Kingpin2010 said)
6. 2011 - Mavs (After the first round this wasn't totally unexpected)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject:

2004. In 2008 I was happy being back in the Finals so that one didn't hurt that bad. In 2006 I knew we had no shot so losing in the first round didn't mean much. But I agree with 24, losing out on being the first team to 3 peat since the 60's hurt.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2004. In 2008 I was happy being back in the Finals so that one didn't hurt that bad. In 2006 I knew we had no shot so losing in the first round didn't mean much. But I agree with 24, losing out on being the first team to 3 peat since the 60's hurt.

Yep, 2004 was it for me and 2008 was just a bonus to me. We underperformed expectations in 2004 and, even with the loss in 2008, over performed expectations for that year. Plus, we made up for 2008 in 2010, so I have some closure there.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: