What a difference a coach makes...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: What a difference a coach makes...

Granted, Coach Saunders has a whole lot more to work with, but his team runs actual plays, they play off of each other, they know how to play defense and they turn it up at the most opportune times. I've long since been on record, contending that Phil Jackson was THE SINGLE MORE OVERRATED COACH in the HISTORY of the NBA. Nothing I've seen this year has led me to believe any different. Yes this team stinks, yes Smush and Sasha and Kwame belong in Siberia, but I see no effort, no heart, no execution...and that's the 10 million dollar a year man's fault.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What a difference a coach makes...

OdomX2 wrote:
Granted, Coach Saunders has a whole lot more to work with, but his team runs actual plays, they play off of each other, they know how to play defense and they turn it up at the most opportune times. I've long since been on record, contending that Phil Jackson was THE SINGLE MORE OVERRATED COACH in the HISTORY of the NBA. Nothing I've seen this year has led me to believe any different. Yes this team stinks, yes Smush and Sasha and Kwame belong in Siberia, but I see no effort, no heart, no execution...and that's the 10 million dollar a year man's fault.

cant win without talent... who needs "actual" plays run when you are wide open anyways? When you get wide open shots and still miss them?
The players have the opportunities. They dont take advantage.
Never thought i would see such an athletic big man like kwame constantly miss a foot away from the basket. YOU SUCK PHIL! Teach kwame how to dunk and catch! :roll:
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What a difference a coach makes...

bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

cant win without talent... who needs "actual" plays run when you are wide open anyways? When you get wide open shots and still miss them?
Never thought i would see such an athletic big man like kwame constantly miss a foot away from the basket. YOU SUCK PHIL! Teach kwame how to dunk and catch! :roll:

are you saying that Phil has maximized his talent? Outside of Kobe, name one player that has flourished under the 10 million dollar guidance of Phil Jackson?
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Saunders actually calls time out and helps his player compared to Jackson who doesn't do anything but let "them figure it out for themselves" The triangle sure makes a good facade to hide lack of coaching talent. I have been watching Jackson when the other team makes a huge scoring run. Jackson looks as confused as his players- I guess he is letting them figure it out for themselves because he has no idea whats happening either.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Jackson has done more with this group of players than any other coach could accomplish in this period of time. When Saunders took over the Pistons, he was in a similar position to Jackson his first time around, in that he had a core group of players who'd been playing together for several years. And, unlike the Lakers, he doesn't have a mamouth contract like Shaq's that limits what can be added. Saunders is not a bad coach, don't get me wrong. He's probably going to prove himself superior to Brown. But I'm not ready to say he's better than Jackson, and I'm not sure there are many people aside from the Jackson-haters like yourself who are.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
Saunders actually calls time out and helps his player compared to Jackson who doesn't do anything but let "them figure it out for themselves" The triangle sure makes a good facade to hide lack of coaching talent. I have been watching Jackson when the other team makes a huge scoring run. Jackson looks as confused as his players- I guess he is letting them figure it out for themselves because he has no idea whats happening either.

Well when you have 2 of the top 20 players of all time playing for you...AT THE SAME TIME!!! It hides an awful lot. I said it before and I'll say it now. This team needed a young, energetic, new idea kind of a coach. A Pre Dynasty Riley, a Musselman, a Saunders...What we got was the bosses girlfriends old fart boyfriend, collecting a paycheck and looking ZEN like on the bench...
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
Jackson has done more with this group of players than any other coach could accomplish in this period of time. When Saunders took over the Pistons, he was in a similar position to Jackson his first time around, in that he had a core group of players who'd been playing together for several years. And, unlike the Lakers, he doesn't have a mamouth contract like Shaq's that limits what can be added. Saunders is not a bad coach, don't get me wrong. He's probably going to prove himself superior to Brown. But I'm not ready to say he's better than Jackson, and I'm not sure there are many people aside from the Jackson-haters like yourself who are.

Right, because it takes a genius to tell Kobe to do a Wilt like impression for us to win...AGAIN, who is better this year under Phil? Name 1 PLAYER!!
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What a difference a coach makes...

OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

are you saying that Phil has maximized his talent? Outside of Kobe, name one player that has flourished under the 10 million dollar guidance of Phil Jackson?

they are 23-20 with 1 allstar, 1 "starter" 3 bench players and a bench full of 3rd stringers.
What talent do you speak of?
Smush wasnt in the league, kwame cant catch the ball..Hard to utilize his "talent"
Mihm isnt flourishing? Hed be playing alot better if he got calls from the refs in regards to fouls. Still.. playing career best ball.
Phil has failed w/ lamar... But i dont see him co-existing w/ kobe anyways. They dont compliment each other, they dont make each other better...never will IMO.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

Right, because it takes a genius to tell Kobe to do a Wilt like impression for us to win...AGAIN, who is better this year under Phil? Name 1 PLAYER!!

actually.. everyone is playing up to expectations except for lamar and luke.

smush would probably be out of the league..
mihm is playing career best ball
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What a difference a coach makes...

bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

they are 23-20 with 1 allstar, 1 "starter" 3 bench players and a bench full of 3rd stringers.
Smush wasnt in the league, kwame cant catch the ball..Hard to utilize his "talent"
Mihm isnt flourishing? Hed be playing alot better if he got calls from the refs in regards to fouls. Still.. playing career best ball.
Phil has failed w/ lamar... But i dont see him co-existing w/ kobe anyways. They dont compliment each other, they dont make each other better...never will IMO.

Mihm is flourishing? Are you kidding me? Yes, the Lakers are a collection of stiffs, 95% of which were drafted by or traded by Jackson. This team is a travesty because of Jeannies boyfriend and his horrific GM skills. Only now do we see how bad a freaking COACH he actually is.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

actually.. everyone is playing up to expectations except for lamar and luke.

smush would probably be out of the league..
mihm is playing career best ball

Mihm has been a stiff his whole career, because he's a tad better stiff is progress? And who is responsible for Smush and Cook and Walton and Sasha and...
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What a difference a coach makes...

OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

Mihm is flourishing? Are you kidding me? Yes, the Lakers are a collection of stiffs, 95% of which were drafted by or traded by Jackson. This team is a travesty because of Jeannies boyfriend and his horrific GM skills. Only now do we see how bad a freaking COACH he actually is.

"you are simply wrong"
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What a difference a coach makes...

bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

"you are simply wrong"

Who is that a quote from? Are you denying that sans a superhuman Kobe, this team would be BY FAR the worst team in the NBA? ANd that's coaching?
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:
Laker Lurker wrote:

Well when you have 2 of the top 20 players of all time playing for you...AT THE SAME TIME!!! It hides an awful lot. I said it before and I'll say it now. This team needed a young, energetic, new idea kind of a coach. A Pre Dynasty Riley, a Musselman, a Saunders...What we got was the bosses girlfriends old fart boyfriend, collecting a paycheck and looking ZEN like on the bench...

You forgot Jerry Sloan whose Utah team (much less talent than the Jackson coached lakers) acounted for two of the Pistons five losses. One of Sloan's teams wins was in Detroit.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject:

OdomX2 wrote:

Who isn't? Kobe's playing better, Chris Mihm's playing better, Sasha--whom everyone here was ready to dump at the start of the season--is playing better. Did you watch us last year? Are you saying that the team isn't playing better this season?
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
Laker Lurker wrote:

You forgot Jerry Sloan whose Utah team (much less talent than the Jackson coached lakers) acounted for two of the Pistons five losses. One of Sloan's teams wins was in Detroit.

Lest we forget 2 of the Lakers losses without Kobe...Shocking enough, superstar Odom and Mihm did play in those games.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

I think you have to give Phil the balance of a season or two. Comparing his team to Saunders' veteran Pistons team isn't fair.

The best I can see as regards Phil's performance is he knows he has a young team, and he wants to compress/condense the time necessary to get them tested and battle-ready. All Phil cares about is playoff wins and championships. With that in mind, he wants to develop the guys he has as quickly as possible.

With that in mind, he's a bit hands off during games (not in practice), and is pushing Lamar hard to play outside his comfort zone and develop new skills and abilities. Simultaneously, he's putting the young guys in situations to sink or swim, and most of the time we're at least treading water.

I've little doubt that Phil could flip a switch if he wanted to, play Lamar more suited to his actual strengths, and win more games, and also win some games more decisively. But I don't think Phil cares about doing that...doesn't care about regular season wins other than staying on playoff pace. As long as we stay on playoff pace, and steadily climb above .500, I seriously doubt Phil will change course, and will continue to test and put Lamar and the youngsters through the crucible.

Phil doesn't want to wait 3 years, so he's taking risks and trying to accomplish speed-maturing and development. His timeline all along has been to gel as a team sometime in the 2nd half of the season.

I'm sure Phil has surprises in store for any teams that meet us in the playoffs, which will likely include Lamar reverting back at key times to a more traditional aggressive post role. In the meantime, he's trying to make Lamar a better and more complete player.

Last edited by critical_beatdown on Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
M. Hicks
Star Player
Star Player

When Phil had great talent, people sniffed that he only won because of it. What's the rhetoric now?

As it stands, this team is 23-20, with a superlative player, some should-be-betters, a couple of average players, and a remaining roster who should thank their lucky stars that they are NBA players.

Phil's methods and substitutions may be maddening at times, but there isn't another coach in this league that would do better with this roster.

You're ranting about this loss, knowing that the roster is what it is, playing against a team, at home, that has gotten off to one of the better starts in NBA history...and you're going to fault Phil for this somehow?

Man, are you crazy?
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What a difference a coach makes...

OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

"you are simply wrong"

Who is that a quote from? Are you denying that sans a superhuman Kobe, this team would be BY FAR the worst team in the NBA? ANd that's coaching?

Lakers to date have a worse record than last year even though they have a much better team
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

critical_beatdown wrote:
I think you have to give Phil the balance of a season or two. Comparing his team to Saunders' veteran Pistons team isn't fair.

The best I can see as regards Phil's performance is he knows he has a young team, and he wants to compress/condense the time necessary to get them tested and battle-ready. All Phil cares about is playoff wins and championships. With that in mind, he wants to develop the guys he has as quickly as possible.

With that in mind, he's a bit hands off during games (not in practice), and is pushing Lamar hard to play outside his comfort zone and develop new skills and abilities. Simultaneously, he's putting the young guys in situations to sink or swim, and most of the time we're at least treading water.

I've little doubt that Phil could flip a switch if he wanted to, play Lamar more suited to his actual strengths, and win more games, and also win some games more decisively. But I don't think Phil cares about doing that...doesn't care about regular season wins other than staying on playoff pace. As long as we stay on playoff pace, and steadily climb above .500, I seriously doubt Phil will change course, and will continue to test and put Lamar and the youngsters through the crucible.

Phil doesn't want to wait 3 years, so he's taking risks and trying to accomplish speed-maturing and development. His timeline all along has been to gel as a team sometime in the 2nd half of the season.

I'm sure Phil has surprises in store for any teams that meet us in the playoffs, which will likely include Lamar reverting back at key times to a more traditional aggressive post role. In the meantime, he's trying to make Lamar a better and more complete player.

What a crock of (bleep).
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What a difference a coach makes...

OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:
bambam wrote:
OdomX2 wrote:

"you are simply wrong"

Who is that a quote from? Are you denying that sans a superhuman Kobe, this team would be BY FAR the worst team in the NBA? ANd that's

coaching?

that would be your quote.

this team sucks, on paper shouldnt even touch the playoffs.. has less talent than last season.

according to espn after december they called this 1st half schedule the 3rd most difficult in the league.
last year w/ the EASYIEST 1st half schedule in the league they had the same record. must be coaching.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:

M. Hicks wrote:
When Phil had great talent, people sniffed that he only won because of it. What's the rhetoric now?

As it stands, this team is 23-20, with a superlative player, some should-be-betters, a couple of average players, and a remaining roster who should thank their lucky stars that they are NBA players.

Phil's methods and substitutions may be maddening at times, but there isn't another coach in this league that would do better with this roster.

You're ranting about this loss, knowing that the roster is what it is, playing against a team, at home, that has gotten off to one of the better starts in NBA history...and you're going to fault Phil for this somehow?

Man, are you crazy?

Just not true. In fact Rudy did better at the same time last year with a...give it to Kobe game plan. I would contend that not many coaches could do worse, given Kobe's superman year.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject:

odom, kobe wouldnt be playing the way he is without phil.

we all saw how good ( :roll: bad) kobe played last season without any organization and free regin to do as he wished.
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

What a crock of (bleep).

Just try looking at games and the season through this lens. The guys are "young and dumb", and Phil won't baby them. Trial by fire. He'd rather not wait a few years. So Phil is going to balance winning percentage with actual team development, as long as overall they're on a playoff pace. I'd do the same if I was smart enough to think about it along those lines in the first place.

You want to test the young guys, by fire, to see who's going to sink, and who's going to swim. Lamar isn't really an issue, because we can always move him back to his comfort zone in the post, or trade him. In the meantime, Phil and Tex want to push Lamar into a role he wouldn't normally be placed into (make him a more complete player). As for the young guys, it's like a Darwinean scene out there.

I expect these guys to be tough in the playoffs.
OdomX2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
odom, kobe wouldnt be playing the way he is without phil.

we all saw how good ( :roll: bad) kobe played last season without any organization and free regin to do as he wished.

Really? Kobe had more assists and rebounds last year. Similar shooting percentage. Are you saying that Kobe's scoring orgy this year is Phil Jackson's doing?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: