LAKERS vs CELTICS: Race to the next championship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Can't believe that Brooklyn pick is unprotected. Very short sighted on the Nets' part.

Still not very impressed with the Celtics roster in general. They don't have star power, and considering how they've showed no loyalty to guys like Pierce, are they gonna be attractive to top free agents?

I don't think they have ever gotten a top free agent. At least not in the last 30 years. Didn't they get Ray Allen in a trade?

Last edited by 32 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
I just can't believe Brooklyn gave them those picks unprotected. How could any team be so stupid

Were's David Stern when you really need him
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I don't see a single future star on Boston's roster, and frankly, I don't see anyone who is more than a 3/4th option. Their best player is an undersized sixth man and we already have a better one. Celtics need to nail a couple high lotto picks just to be reasonably behind LA.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:
ocho wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Yeah Boston's best assets are the Nets draft picks. They don't have any top prospects on their roster

They might catch up or pass us by next season. They likely will get two lottery picks this draft. We better hope we can land some top free agents because they are obviously ahead of us in the coaching department possibly the front office too.

Catch us? They made the playoffs last year and we had one of the worst records in the league. They've got a great coach and 3 lotto picks coming up. We are looking to catch them.

In the eastern conference we could probably make the playoff's just like them with a sub 500. record. Our young core is much better than theirs right now but like i said they will probably get two lottery picks this year which will probably put them on par with us as far as young talent is concerned. Other things to take into consideration are the coach and the front office, i think they are ahead of us on those aspects.

They won 40 games last year. We won 21. Do you think we are going to even approach 40 wins this year? We aren't making the playoffs in any conference. While I like our core 3 youngins better than theirs, they're about to have a 3 year windfall of lotto talent. We'll see what they end up with but they're significantly further down the path than we are.

I could defiantly see a better coach with a better system squeeze 30 to 35 wins out of this current Laker team in the "western conference". The disparity between the two conferences is a huge factor whether some want to admit it or not. It makes their team look a lot better than they actually are. I already acknowledged that their coaching situation is a lot better than ours but the claim of them being significantly further ahead of us in this rebuild right now is not accurate in my opinion.

The thread tittle say's "Lakers vs. Celtics: Race to the next championship" Both of these franchises are a long way from true championship contention but as of right now i like our position better than theirs. My point was by them possibly getting two lottery picks in this upcoming draft it could really then put them ahead of us depending on what they choose to do with those two assets. I still think we might have the upper hand in free agency with two max slots open.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I don't see a single future star on Boston's roster, and frankly, I don't see anyone who is more than a 3/4th option. Their best player is an undersized sixth man and we already have a better one. Celtics need to nail a couple high lotto picks just to be reasonably behind LA.

I don't get this notion that we're "ahead" of them. They have assets in the form of their own young players, their own picks and picks they own from other teams that will likely be high in the lottery. And they already have a team good enough to make the playoffs in their conference with long-term security at head coach to boot. They're ahead of us until further notice. We have to be significantly better than them just because of the fact that we're in a conference where you need to approach 50 wins just to make the playoffs. And we're not anywhere close to that.
KyrieRubio
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject:

should include the knicks and bulls too...

Think all four of us are far away atm...
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

In terms of direction and coaching competence... Celtics are way ahead. In terms of talent, they are way behind. Even if they get high draft picks coming up, remember that it takes a few years to develop them and they will be behind us in that respect ASSUMING they get similar talent to to Randle, Russell and Clarkson.

Talent is more important than coaching imo... but you'd rather have both lol.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
In terms of direction and coaching competence... Celtics are way ahead. In terms of talent, they are way behind. Even if they get high draft picks coming up, remember that it takes a few years to develop them and they will be behind us in that respect ASSUMING they get similar talent to to Randle, Russell and Clarkson.

Pretty much.

This team would be playoff contenders if we didn't have the worst coach in the NBA managing this team.

Lakers are far away head of the Celtics. We're literally just a new decent coach away from being in the playoffs again. Celtics on the other hand are 3 potential studs away from being relevant even in the East, when they have ZERO.

Celtics are great with trades and acquiring assets but are terrible at making draft picks and signings. They will be the Celtics after Larry Bird era again.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

They have picks (from high, to midrange to low) that can be used as part of a package to trade for a superstar. And they're already a playoff team in a conference in which its easier to quickly become a contender. Yes, making the jump to contender is dependent on pulling off a blockbuster trade, but we're also depending on dreams of signing the Durants, Georges and Westbrooks of the world. And by next summer, we'll still be trying to get superstars to sign with a lottery team with uncertainty at head coach. In contrast, they have assets to spare to trade for a disgruntled star with certainty at head coach.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

They have picks (from high, to midrange to low) that can be used as part of a package to trade for a superstar. And they're already a playoff team in a conference in which its easier to quickly become a contender. Yes, making the jump to contender is dependent on pulling off a blockbuster trade, but we're also depending on dreams of signing the Durants, Georges and Westbrooks of the world. And by next summer, we'll still be trying to get superstars to sign with a lottery team with uncertainty at head coach. In contrast, they have assets to spare to trade for a disgruntled star with certainty at head coach.

And we haven't even discussed the very public, nasty power struggle at our ownership level that is coming to a head in the next few years.
KyrieRubio
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

As people alluding to, the Celtics play in a crappy conference where lebron led teams will make the finals every season with ease.

Us on the other hand play in a conference where our lower tier could probably make the playoffs in the east.

I don't value any of the celtic's bigs, however, I do think bradley and smart are good pieces on a champ team. Both are very very good defensively and can play their role well.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
24 wrote:

I don't get this notion that we're "ahead" of them. They have assets in the form of their own young players, their own picks and picks they own from other teams that will likely be high in the lottery. And they already have a team good enough to make the playoffs in their conference with long-term security at head coach to boot. They're ahead of us until further notice. We have to be significantly better than them just because of the fact that we're in a conference where you need to approach 50 wins just to make the playoffs. And we're not anywhere close to that.

I say ahead because we have 3 young prospects better than their best, and their best player is a sixth man who is inferior to our own.
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject:

This is about who is closer to true championship contention between us or them. The Celtics making the playoffs in a inferior conference with a sub .500 record does not mean that they are ahead of us in this rebuild or are considered true championship contenders. I only see three or four teams in the east that you can truly classify as contenders and the Celtics are not one of them. As far as who is ahead in the rebuild process that both organizations find them self's in that is debatable. I like our position over theirs. We just need a coaching change because it is obvious that they have the better coach right now.
miamichico305
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Hate to say admit it but the Celtics are a whole lot closer to a championship than we are, they don't have any "superstars", but neither do we. That Brooklyn pick is a game changer.. its almost guaranteed to be a top 3 pick from how bad they are, not to mention all the other picks they have.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject:

miamichico305 wrote:
Hate to say admit it but the Celtics are a whole lot closer to a championship than we are, they don't have any "superstars", but neither do we. That Brooklyn pick is a game changer.. its almost guaranteed to be a top 3 pick from how bad they are, not to mention all the other picks they have.

We don't have any superstars, but Russell, Clarkson, and Randle could all develop into one. The Celtics don't even have any current potential stars and this draft is one of the weaker ones in the last three or four drafts. It's doubtful they'll find a superstar in that draft class.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Weaker drafts compared to the last 3 or 4? Weaker then the 2013 draft with Anthony Bennett?

I agree with you on the rest but Ben Simmons alone is better than that entire draft combined.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
KBH wrote:
24 wrote:

I say ahead because we have 3 young prospects better than their best, and their best player is a sixth man who is inferior to our own.

We're arguably ahead in what could be. They're ahead in the present and could pass us in the future if they play their cards right with all of their assets. At best, stating that we're ahead of them as fact is a stretch, IMO, and I'm high on our guys too.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
KBH wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

And we haven't even discussed the very public, nasty power struggle at our ownership level that is coming to a head in the next few years.

Yup. I chose to not even mention the FO because that sets us further behind in perception. In terms of outside perception, Boston has a unified vision from top to bottom. Whereas we have Jeanie throwing subtle shots at Jim and the fan base throwing blatant shots at Jim. I actually thing Jim gets blame for things that aren't his fault but the court of public opinion is largely against him.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Ainge would need to convert all those young/future assets into a superstar. You know he's trying to put himself into position for the next James Harden (aka Superstar a Small Market Team Can't Afford). But I'm skeptical such a scenario will arise with all the crazy money coming in, but you never know. That Nets pick could end up being the #1 pick next year.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Weaker drafts compared to the last 3 or 4? Weaker then the 2013 draft with Anthony Bennett?

I agree with you on the rest but Ben Simmons alone is better than that entire draft combined.

I don't see what's so funny. You're talking about one player in that draft. Yeah that draft was relatively weak so is this coming draft. I don't see any superstars. Solid players, maybe a couple of all stars down the road, but franchise level superstars? No. I don't see it.
miamichico305
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
24 wrote:

Ainge would need to convert all those young/future assets into a superstar. You know he's trying to put himself into position for the next James Harden (aka Superstar a Small Market Team Can't Afford). But I'm skeptical such a scenario will arise with all the crazy money coming in, but you never know. That Nets pick could end up being the #1 pick next year.

Which is why I'm worried, say Durant leaves OKC.. they would almost certainly try and trade Westbrook after that, you know Boston will try and go after him with all the picks they have and that Brooklyn pick is scary.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Celtics are dreaming more of a blockbuster trade or FA signing than we are... we have potential all stars that are very young on the squad. 3 of them. Celtics have none.

Who's more dependent on a hailmary???

At worst, we just develop our in-house guys. Once they develop, then a top FA will come if we need it. It will take longer... but we already have the players to do it if it comes to that.

Celtics have a coach that is making an average squad overachieve... we have a coach that makes a talented squad underachieve. What's easier to fix? Answer is pretty obvious to me.

Last edited by silkwilkes on Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Megaton wrote:

I don't see what's so funny. You're talking about one player in that draft.

I said one player alone, as in that player alone is better than that draft class.

For others, Brandon Ingram, Skal Labbisare from Kentucky, Jaylen Brown makes for a pretty solid draft class. Top heavy, not as much depth as last one obviously, but this one is solid too.

Don't see where it's even close to weaker than the pathetic class of 2013 or THAT much weaker to the previous 4.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Pretty much.

This team would be playoff contenders if we didn't have the worst coach in the NBA managing this team.

Lakers are far away head of the Celtics. We're literally just a new decent coach away from being in the playoffs again. Celtics on the other hand are 3 potential studs away from being relevant even in the East, when they have ZERO.

Celtics are great with trades and acquiring assets but are terrible at making draft picks and signings. They will be the Celtics after Larry Bird era again.

Unfortunately we keep on hiring a bunch of Parking Brakes to stop the Lakers Buss.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Celtics are dreaming more of a blockbuster trade or FA signing than we are... we have potential all stars that are very young on the squad. 3 of them. Celtics have none.

Who's more dependent on a hailmary???

At worst, we just develop our in-house guys. Once they develop, then a top FA will come if we need it. It will take longer... but we already have the players to do it if it comes to that.

Celtics have a coach that is making an average squad overachieve... we have a coach that makes a talented squad underachieve. What's easier to fix? Answer is pretty obvious to me.

Exactly. I'm willing to bet Boston wishes they were in our position. I think Randle is a future superstar. D'Angelo could be an All-star. Boston has solid role players in spades, but you can always get those.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 7 of 32
Jump to: