LAKERS vs CELTICS: Race to the next championship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
He has a better chance of going to LA than Boston, be serious....no name player wants to go there.

Weird. Guess we all imagined this: http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/boston-celtics-ray-allen-kevin-garnett-and-paul-pierce-hold-their-picture-id75892790

And um, btw, this was our last big Name Player free agent signing:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/shaquille-oneal-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-poses-with-jerry-west-as-he-picture-id512496680

Garnett and Allen were traded to Boston. Who was the last big name free agent player to sign with Boston?

Does that really matter though? Technically the last big name free agent to sign with us was Shaq.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
32 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
He has a better chance of going to LA than Boston, be serious....no name player wants to go there.

Weird. Guess we all imagined this: http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/boston-celtics-ray-allen-kevin-garnett-and-paul-pierce-hold-their-picture-id75892790

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/shaquille-oneal-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-poses-with-jerry-west-as-he-picture-id512496680

Garnett and Allen were traded to Boston. Who was the last big name free agent player to sign with Boston?

Exactly. It seems like we have an undercover Celtics fan with their fingers crossed

I'm trying to jinx it more than anything, or at least emotionally prepare myself

I just look at Durant and see a guy whose #1 priority is to win. And if he's going to go leave OKC, it has to be for a team that gives him a better track to the Finals. How does it make any sense that he leaves the #3 team in the West, with a Top 5 Player teammate, to go to the #15 team in the West to play with a bunch of NBA babies? Even if you add Horford, it's not going to put him in an immediately improved situation. You can't honestly think that team is contending with the Spurs and Warriors next year.

Even in the best of all of worlds free agency scenario, this team is at least another year or two away from true contention, and Durant can't afford to burn those years.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:

Honestly the Celtics are set up perfectly right now, and that pains me to say.

They have one of the best coaches in the league.

A record that they have no business having, but because of their system they are balling right now.

Their two best players on ridiculously good deals.

A top pick this year.

And room for two max free agents this summer.

The Celtics could realistically be a player for Horford this summer and if that happens, or they get another top free agent, then Durant will seriously, seriously consider them.

Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Durant
Horford

If that team is in play I don't think Durant passes it up.

Edit: Smart at the 2 and Bradley off the bench.

Last edited by EZ-Ryder on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:

0514 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
32 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Technically, yes, but Garnett waived his no-trade clause to go to Boston, and he signed an extension to stay there. So he did choose to go to Boston. And remember, there was a full year of Garnett-to-the-Lakers talk before the trade, and he never opted to waive his no-trade clause to come here. So he effectively chose Boston over Los Angeles.

Didn't he choose Boston over us because of the standing feud with Kobe and Phil ? He didn't want to go to the train wreck that was happening at the moment

He said recently he didn't want to go there because of the "uncertainty with Kobe," which makes zero sense and reeks of diplomacy. The "uncertainty with Kobe," stemmed entirely from Kobe's frustration over the FO's inability (or unwillingness) to acquire another star to help him. That's why the Pau trade immediately healed all wounds.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
32 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Exactly. It seems like we have an undercover Celtics fan with their fingers crossed

I'm trying to jinx it more than anything, or at least emotionally prepare myself

I just look at Durant and see a guy whose #1 priority is to win. And if he's going to go leave OKC, it has to be for a team that gives him a better track to the Finals. How does it make any sense that he leaves the #3 team in the West, with a Top 5 Player teammate, to go to the #15 team in the West to play with a bunch of NBA babies? Even if you add Horford, it's not going to put him in an immediately improved situation. You can't honestly think that team is contending with the Spurs and Warriors next year.

Even in the best of all of worlds free agency scenario, this team is at least another year or two away from true contention, and Durant can't afford to burn those years.

I agree that we are not a top 5 candidate for Durant to sign but I also don't buy the argument that he'd rather go to a team in the East. Even if he makes it to the finals he would still have to face the winner of the West which is either The Warriors or Spurs. Winning is important to him but even in the East on the Celtics or maybe Raptors he still loses to the Warriors, Spurs, and probably the Cavs. The worst part is that the 2 most stacked teams are going to be making push to sign him which would pretty much ensure multiple championships for either of them.

In my opinion a team that is not being mentioned in the Durant sweepstakes that is actually a great city to live in as well is the Portland Trailblazers. Lillard, McCollum, and Durant would be an amazing core and they have 2.5 max slots available.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

Seeing the Celtics land KD would sure suck. But I don't see how something like Horford/Thomas/Bradley is better than what he currently has in OKC. That team would have very little upside. If Durant was wise he'd press on Presti to hire a legit coach. That is the only essential he's lacked throughout his whole career. Or he could just sign with the Warriors.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

Difference is, coming out of the East, you'd only have to face one of the Warriors/Spurs. Chances are you have to go through both in the West. And facing the Warriors one (or even two) rounds later than you'd have to in the West is not insignificant. That's an extra round (or two) for injuries or suspensions. Not to mention it's just easier to pile up wins in the East and your first round is much less of a grind than it would be in the West.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

Assuming OKC doesn't win a championship this season, here are my possible destinations for him:

1) Golden State - Logical destination for Durant if they fail to repeat. Wants to play for contender, but wouldn't be seen as ring chasing.

2) Boston - Good young foundation. Exceptional coach. More system oriented than OKC. Durant would have to unlearn the bad habits he accumulated in OKC.

3) OKC - He'll give them one more year to make it right.

4) LA - Only and only if they hire Ollie as a coach. That's the only way he'll consider us.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Difference is, coming out of the East, you'd only have to face one of the Warriors/Spurs. Chances are you have to go through both in the West. And facing the Warriors one (or even two) rounds later than you'd have to in the West is not insignificant. That's an extra round (or two) for injuries or suspensions. Not to mention it's just easier to pile up wins in the East and your first round is much less of a grind than it would be in the West.

If you take away the Spurs and Warriors the East seems to be better than the West this year. Also in the East you still have to face the Cavs before getting to the big guns in the Finals.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Assuming OKC doesn't win a championship this season, here are my possible destinations for him:

1) Golden State - Logical destination for Durant if they fail to repeat. Wants to play for contender, but wouldn't be seen as ring chasing.

2) Boston - Good young foundation. Exceptional coach. More system oriented than OKC. Durant would have to unlearn the bad habits he accumulated in OKC.

3) OKC - He'll give them one more year to make it right.

4) LA - Only and only if they hire Ollie as a coach. That's the only way he'll consider us.

Id rank Portland over Boston.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

I'd put Spurs at the head of the list. Won't be ring chasing on the Warriors. Gets to team up with fellow U of T guy LMA, and have Kahwai do all the dirty work on defense.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

OKC
Warriors
Spurs

Don't think us or Boston are even in the discussion. Though I do reserve the right to pipe every now and again until he signs with someone.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject:

Odds to get the #1 pick.
Lakers 19.9%
Celtics 15.6%
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject:

So who's ahead now?

As I said all along the Celtics weren't likely to get a star in the draft Ie Simmons or Ingram and they're just a first round exit.

Now what? They have to pray Brooklyn doesn't get any better and that pick is there again next year.

It's don't think there's any question the Lakers are ahead in the race for the next championship.

Last edited by Lakers2015 on Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject:

Celtics's millions picks vs our max cap space... race to get a star
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Millions picks is only valuable if you have a deep draft: 2016 is arguably a shallow draft.. 1, 2, DONE!

The Lakers getting 2 #2s, and "two MAX" contracts, and Walton beats the c$ap out of the chowderheads rebuilding
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject:

Hahaha.. never stop hating the Celtics.

I do like Brad Stevens tho
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
governator wrote:

Millions picks is only valuable if you have a deep draft: 2016 is arguably a shallow draft.. 1, 2, DONE!

The Lakers getting 2 #2s, and "two MAX" contracts, and Walton beats the c$ap out of the chowderheads rebuilding

hah! i like that. They're hoarding picks at the wrong year
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

In 2016, I don't mind Larry Bird.. so give me another 30 years, maybe I'll like Brad!
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

its hard not to really. I hate myself that I envy them that. Hope Luke does a job and rectifies that
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject:

I think Boston will try to trade the #3 pick with #16 pick and some 2nd round picks plus players like Smart/Sullinger/Olynyk to try and land a star. Possibly Cousins.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

Obviously the Celtics had a very good season, but that roster doesn't have much star upside, and it's filled with 3 and D overachievers. With the third pick, they're outside of that top 2, who project to be stars. Of course this was a gravy pick for them because of a brutal Nets trade 3 years ago, but they had their sights set on a top 2 pick. The entire thing with Boston is trading their assets for an established player. Easier said than done when you don't have a player with huge upside. Boston has never been a FA destination. Their roster is very mid 90s Lakerish, without Kobe and Shaq coming through that door.

Yes, the Celtics are currently much better than the Lakers, but I'd rather have the Lakers current situation. Lakers' young core has much more upside and the Lakers have the most cap space in the NBA plus they'll always be a more attractive FA landing spot than Boston, despite the CBA.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I think Boston will try to trade the #3 pick with #16 pick and some 2nd round picks plus players like Smart/Sullinger/Olynyk to try and land a star. Possibly Cousins.

That's a horrible deal for Sacramento.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
32 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Does that really matter though? Technically the last big name free agent to sign with us was Shaq.

Lakers have only had money to go after max, prime players who are available, the last 2 seasons. They were capped from 1996 to 2013. So, saying the Lakers haven't signed a big free agent since Shaq is a little skewed. Lakers were competing for titles for 2 decades. They didn't have the ability to sign new guys until the last 2 years. And even those guys who were available were stars but not MVP types.

Lakers will have a legitimate shot at Durant this summer. I believe, he will test the waters, regardless if he stays in OKC or not. He will test the market and it will be the Lakers job to convince him to come. They have all the tools to start bringing in the new crop. Whether it's Durant or Derozan, or whoever, the Lakers are getting 2 guys this summer and it will make a difference and I believe the Lakers will double their win total, at the very least next year.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

Boston has more assets to try to trade for Jimmy Butler, Cousins, or Paul George if those guys want out of their current teams. I hate how Ainge has accelerated their rebuild and brought them so much further than the Lakers are.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 12 of 32
Jump to: