LAKERS vs CELTICS: Race to the next championship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troublesome626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

BillBridges wrote:
With Durant signing with GS, a championship for the Lakers or Celtics is a moot point for 5 years. Agree of disagree, the Lakers mortgaged their future with the Nash trade trying to win a final ring for Dr. Buss

Actually that still has not come back to bite us. we have not given up that first round pick yet. lol and we got Randle,DLO & Ingram.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:

I noticed the majority of responses on here had them ahead due to their coach and because they are in the eastern conference. Now that we have a very good coach it would be interesting to get some opinions. Also I feel like the West has also weaken maybe not as weak as their conference but still not as strong as before. I still feel like both organizations are a long ways away but the future is bright.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Troublesome626 wrote:
BillBridges wrote:
With Durant signing with GS, a championship for the Lakers or Celtics is a moot point for 5 years. Agree of disagree, the Lakers mortgaged their future with the Nash trade trying to win a final ring for Dr. Buss

Actually that still has not come back to bite us. we have not given up that first round pick yet. lol and we got Randle,DLO & Ingram.

I thought we already gave up 1 first rd pick?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:
BillBridges wrote:

I thought we already gave up 1 first rd pick?

whennn bro?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
30 wrote:
Bump.

Right now the Celtics are ahead in the rebuild vs the Lakers, since they have good system players and a good coach, and somebody in the Simmons thread brought up an interesting point about Simmons possibly landing in Boston. But I think with internal player development (looking at you Randle and Russell), good FA's signings (not including the unrealistic Durant), a coaching change (Luke Walton?), and the Lakers keeping their pick (getting Ingram or Dunn), the Lakers could be right there with the Celtics next year even if they got Simmons.

They aren't ahead. They are ahead in terms of winning in a weak conference. However, nothing about their roster says "title contender." Instead, everything about their roster says "borderline playoff team" or, at best, "perennial 6th, 7th or 8th seed. I'm not sure they have even 1 potential all-star on their team, now or in the future. Smart could still be that guy but, even then, who knows.

From this perspective, the Lakers are ahead of the curve. While we aren't winning as many games (which is partly because of the conference we play in), at the least, we have a much higher ceiling. We have at least four players who have all-star potential, 2 of which, depending on how they develop, that have superstar potential.

Three years from now, I would put money on the fact that the Lakers are a better team than the Celtics.

That was my post as of a year ago (January 2016). Stand by it, except now we have three players who have superstar potential since we drafted Ingram.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject:

It's alarming how Boston went from top to bottom of the league in Defense this year.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I think you really meant "comforting"

Worthy42 wrote:
It's alarming how Boston went from top to bottom of the league in Defense this year.

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:

They have been dealing with a lot of injuries. Crowder, Smart, Horford, Olynk all have missed multiple games.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Luke > Brad Stevens imo
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
I think you really meant "comforting"

Worthy42 wrote:
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
Luke > Brad Stevens imo

Yep they both fit their spots very very well though. Luke's the fast paced high scoring laid back dude coach while Stevens is defense first and very serious. I wouldn't be surprised if their both seen as top 5 coaches in a few years. I like our situation better but the Celtics have a lot of nice pieces as well as a bunch of movable assets. This race could be a close one.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
Luke > Brad Stevens imo

Yep they both fit their spots very very well though. Luke's the fast paced high scoring laid back dude coach while Stevens is defense first and very serious. I wouldn't be surprised if their both seen as top 5 coaches in a few years. I like our situation better but the Celtics have a lot of nice pieces as well as a bunch of movable assets. This race could be a close one.

Imagine if both coaches work together like for Team USA.

I love basketball. *Metta voice*
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

They are way better than us right now and it's not even close. They now have two all star caliber players (Thomas and Horford) and two solid complimentary players (Bradley and Crowder). We have no all star caliber players. They are the 3rd best team in the east. They are 11 games over .500 and only 1.5 games behind Toronto. They will likely make it to the 2nd round this year and with some luck the eastern conference finals. We will miss the playoffs for the 4th straight year. They have a coach in his 4th season and getting better every year and we have a rookie coach with no experience. Ainge has run circles over Kupchak the last 4 years with great moves trading for Thomas and signing Horford as a free agent. One more all star caliber piece for Boston and that would make them a contender in the East. People say Boston plays in the weak east which is true and I admit right now they have a much easier road to the finals than us. People say we have young potential players that makes us better than Boston. That's a crock. Potential is meaningless. There is no guarantee any of these young players will be a multiple time all star and the question is how long does Mitch wait to find out.

Last edited by 32 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
They are way better than us right now and it's not even close. They now have two all star caliber players (Thomas and Horford) and two solid complimentary players (Bradley and Crowder). We have no all star caliber players. They are the 3rd best team in the east. They are 11 games over .500 and only 1.5 games behind Toronto. They will likely make it to the 2nd round this year and with some luck the eastern conference finals. We will miss the playoffs for the 4th straight year. They have a coach in his 4th season and getting better every year and we have a rookie coach with no experience. Ainge has run circles over Kupchak the last 4 years with great moves trading for Thomas and signing Horford as a free agent. One more all star caliber piece for Boston and that would make them a contender in the East. People say Boston plays in the weak east which is true and I admit right now they have a much easier road to the finals than us. People say we have young potential players that makes us better than Boston. That's a crock. Potential is meaningless. There is no guarantee any of these young players will be a multiple time all star and the question is how long does Mitch wait to wait to find out.

I hate to say this, but you are right about everything.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Go Lakers.

Buck Foston.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
They are way better than us right now and it's not even close. They now have two all star caliber players (Thomas and Horford) and two solid complimentary players (Bradley and Crowder). We have no all star caliber players. They are the 3rd best team in the east. They are 11 games over .500 and only 1.5 games behind Toronto. They will likely make it to the 2nd round this year and with some luck the eastern conference finals. We will miss the playoffs for the 4th straight year. They have a coach in his 4th season and getting better every year and we have a rookie coach with no experience. Ainge has run circles over Kupchak the last 4 years with great moves trading for Thomas and signing Horford as a free agent. One more all star caliber piece for Boston and that would make them a contender in the East. People say Boston plays in the weak east which is true and I admit right now they have a much easier road to the finals than us. People say we have young potential players that makes us better than Boston. That's a crock. Potential is meaningless. There is no guarantee any of these young players will be a multiple time all star and the question is how long does Mitch wait to find out.

They have no shot at a title which is the basis of this thread.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

Boston's success begins with that dumbfounding robbery of the Nets. It's more a testament to how terrible Brooklyns ownership is than how great Boston's is. That trade allowed them to get incrementally better without having to tank or bottom out, because lottery picks were coming their way anyway. Their problem is they don't draft well, and thus far they haven't been able to use those picks to wrestle away a star, and they don't have any prospects that look like they have the potential to become one.

That could all be changing for them this summer. They have a strong chance at the #1 overall pick. It's a strong draft. They could end up with a star player after all.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

There's pretty much a guarantee that all 3 will be solid NBA players this early. That's better than most teams find themselves after drafts. Same Boston haven't drafted well. And teams mess up way more looking desperately for all stars in trades while some build patiently even without top 5 picks. Eg: Nuggets/Knicks. One has progressed well by drafting late gems like Jokic while Knicks didn't go anywhere with Melo.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

BUCK FOSTON!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

I hate the Celtics and it pains me to say this. The Celtics are so far ahead of us its not even funny. They have a very good team this year and could make it to the finals THIS year. They will be legitimate title contenders next year as they have draft picks, assets, and room for a max player. They already signed a star (Al) on their team which obviously will make it easier to sign another one. Their back court is playing better than any team in the league. Avery Bradley is on the verge of becoming the next super star in the league (best defensive guard in basketball and very good offensive player). Thomas is playing incredible. They still have a young team (AL is the old guy at 30, and the rest are 27 and younger).
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

Pretty much this.
Isaiah Thomas and Horford are good players, but neither can lead a team to a championship.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

Pretty much this.
Isaiah Thomas and Horford are good players, but neither can lead a team to a championship.

But they are one superstar away from contention while we are a couple of stars away from playoffs.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

Pretty much this.

But they are one superstar away from contention while we are a couple of stars away from playoffs.

They have no chance of getting that superstar. Had they drafted better plus Nets pick, yeah. And our draft picks have way higher chances of being stars than theirs.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Lots of teams get stuck being "one superstar away" and never make it.

Quote:

Honestly, that's how I feel. I LOVE how IT2 goes about his business on offense, but he's not doing Boston ANY favors defensively.

Horford? Solid guy... I kind of feel like when he just starts breaking into twilight, the BOS youthcore will finally have some developed talent to work with in the playoffs. I don't know how well that'll get BOS to the next level.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

We both have a 0% chance of winning a chip in the next 3 years.
So in that sense, we're equal. But that is a testament to Lebron and GS.

I think IT and Horford could be the 2nd/3rd best players on a championship team. But a more likely result is using 1 or both of those valuable assets as trade chips to get guys that can win chips. They are more valuable pieces than anybody on our roster.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 16 of 32
Jump to: