Does anyone else feel like I do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Does anyone else feel like I do?

I've cheered for championships in the past and they were all special. I'm watching and enjoying the wins during the playoffs, but for the first time, it doesn't feel special, even to finally tie the Celtics at 17. I don't think there needs to be an asterisk, but it feels anticlimactic. I barely notice people wearing Lakers gear now or with it on their cars like in Junes gone by.

Are you as excited as you normally would be?

Last edited by lakersboy on Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject:

LOL

Nope
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject:

It’s you.

I’m excited. I’m chomping at the bit for this next game. I want it finished!!!

I want LBJ and AD raising that trophy. This team did it for KOBE!!! With #17 I will never hear that stupid Celtic argument ever again.

So proud of this team!!
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

The lack of a live audience is so devastating to sports.

I've been to one playoff game in my life. Ironically it is easily one of the most classic playoff wins in Lakers history. It is known as the "Robert Horry shot" against the Kings on May 26, 2002. I will never forget the electricity in the building. It is so contagious and such a beautiful experience.

The playoffs are missing that and it is felt through the TV.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
It’s you.

I’m excited. I’m chomping at the bit for this next game. I want it finished!!!

I want LBJ and AD raising that trophy. This team did it for KOBE!!! With #17 I will never hear that stupid Celtic argument ever again.

So proud of this team!!

I'm always anxious to watch the game. It just meant more to me when they won before. Something about bubble living has changed the excitement level for me.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject:

For me the excitement was due to the competition moreso than anything else. I wasn't as excited when it looked like Lakers would sweep, but after Heat won a game and it became competitive, it's actually been more fun. I enjoyed the game four win more than the game 1 and 2 wins.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
The lack of a live audience is so devastating to sports.

I've been to one playoff game in my life. Ironically it is easily one of the most classic playoff wins in Lakers history. It is known as the "Robert Horry shot" against the Kings on May 26, 2002. I will never forget the electricity in the building. It is so contagious and such a beautiful experience.

The playoffs are missing that and it is felt through the TV.

I was at work, but I found time to see Horry's winning shot while you were up close and personal.

I went to a playoff game against the Spurs when we had Radmonovic and the building was by far the loudest, most electric atmosphere i ever experienced. I could literally see the Spurs get intimidated into making errors by the noise of the crowd. THAT, was awesome.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
For me the excitement was due to the competition moreso than anything else. I wasn't as excited when it looked like Lakers would sweep, but after Heat won a game and it became competitive, it's actually been more fun. I enjoyed the game four win more than the game 1 and 2 wins.

I'd have been totally cool with 4 game 1 type blowouts. I'm happy with a close win, but I enjoy a spanking.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Took us 10 years and a whole lot of good fortune to get back here. Don’t know how long it’ll be before we are back again. The world is (bleep) up right now. Be in the moment and enjoy it.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Boooooooo.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Durant said recently that winning a championship in the bubble should be appreciated more then a normal championship, we should all be excited that our players got through the pandemic.. healthy and are gonna likely bring #17 to this franchise.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Took us 10 years and a whole lot of good fortune to get back here. Don’t know how long it’ll be before we are back again. The world is (bleep) up right now. Be in the moment and enjoy it.

I even wondered if I'm a spoiled fan because of all the celebrations I've seen. That could be part of it, but even my friends used to get together to celebrate the last game. I thought of having a Zoom party to watch the game, but I don't even know how to make that work. The game is enjoyable to watch, but more than ever, I think back to what my young friend said after the Lakers won a ring.... "now what?"
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Durant said recently that winning a championship in the bubble should be appreciated more then a normal championship, we should all be excited that our players got through the pandemic.. healthy and are gonna likely bring #17 to this franchise.

I'm happy. Just not thrilled.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject:

I agree with the OP..
I've been watching the Lakers since 1967
there is something just a bit "off" about this entire playoffs.

it's just somehow less - in a somewhat indescribable way
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
ocho wrote:

I even wondered if I'm a spoiled fan because of all the celebrations I've seen. That could be part of it, but even my friends used to get together to celebrate the last game. I thought of having a Zoom party to watch the game, but I don't even know how to make that work. The game is enjoyable to watch, but more than ever, I think back to what my young friend said after the Lakers won a ring.... "now what?"

Look it obviously feels a little different. We aren’t at Staples. No get togethers. There will be no parade. No live fans. The world is weird at the moment.

But this year has been seriously, seriously awful. This has brought me a lot of joy and much needed entertainment. We are going to put another banner and two new jerseys in the rafters on Friday. I’ve got a nice bottle of bubbly ready to go.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
ocho wrote:

Look it obviously feels a little different. We aren’t at Staples. No get togethers. There will be no parade. No live fans. The world is weird at the moment.

But this year has been seriously, seriously awful. This has brought me a lot of joy and much needed entertainment. We are going to put another banner and two new jerseys in the rafters on Friday. I’ve got a nice bottle of bubbly ready to go.

Good results. Just a different level of intensity. I'm enjoying it while I can.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Depends how you look at it.

If you consider that it's been the worst year in memory, winning a championship would be one of the few positive things this year.

But when you consider that sports isn't really that important, then I would probably move on and forget about it if things get even worse as this year closes.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject:

The roar of the Lakers' home crowd when someone hits a big shot or gets a monster block, and the equally enjoyable sudden hush when in the opponent's arena is sorely missed. The playoffs bubble has denied us all of those shared moments of euphoria with the live audience that are always the balance to the crushing negative emotions of the high-stakes, win-or-go-home postseason environment.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Depends how you look at it.

If you consider that it's been the worst year in memory, winning a championship would be one of the few positive things this year.

But when you consider that sports isn't really that important, then I would probably move on and forget about it if things get even worse as this year closes.

Interestingly, I haven't experienced much negativity this year, so my view overall isn't skewed by outside issues. Of course, I sympathize with others who have and are going through difficulties.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject:

It's the lack of fans. It doesn't make the title less special or valid, what it does do is make it less engaging to watch
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
The roar of the Lakers' home crowd when someone hits a big shot or gets a monster block, and the equally enjoyable sudden hush when in the opponent's arena is sorely missed. The playoffs bubble has denied us all of those shared moments of euphoria with the live audience that are always the balance to the crushing negative emotions of the high-stakes, win-or-go-home postseason environment.

Agree completely. If the Lakers win Friday, I expect to enjoy the post game interviews and then quietly move on to trying to enjoy football on the weekends to sidetrack me from life's concerns.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject:

For me, I just felt like the last two rounds were anti-climactic. I was looking forward to seeing the Lakers finally shut up the Clippers, but instead we faced the (supposedly) weaker Nuggets team who we were the heavy favorites over.

And once Adebayo and Dragic went down, the finals stopped being a competitive series. Factor in the lack of fans and the general stress of everything that's going on right now, I see why it's not quite as exciting as 2009 and 2010.

But I'm still looking forward to tying the Celtics and officially completing our rebuild. It's the end of a long 7 (or 10) year road.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
For me, I just felt like the last two rounds were anti-climactic. I was looking forward to seeing the Lakers finally shut up the Clippers, but instead we faced the (supposedly) weaker Nuggets team who we were the heavy favorites over.

And once Adebayo and Dragic went down, the finals stopped being a competitive series. Factor in the lack of fans and the general stress of everything that's going on right now, I see why it's not quite as exciting as 2009 and 2010.

But I'm still looking forward to tying the Celtics and officially completing our rebuild. It's the end of a long 7 (or 10) year road.

Series became competitive against the Heat once Bam and Dragic left.

Bam is good but Olynik and Leonard are stretch 5's and present much bigger problems than Bam does, Insert Bam and it allows the Lakers to put Kieff on him instead of having to play Dwight in a perimeter defense role. It also means the Lakers get much more spacing which benefits Bron.

Dragic takes the ball away from Butler.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject:

There is nothing about this season that is normal but here we are. The Lakers have a chance to get #17 and tie the Boston Celtics in championships. That alone has me excited. I am excited for the city of Los Angeles, the Lakers ownership, executives, coaches, and players. Winning it for Kobe. One more baby!
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Roger O. Thornhill wrote:

Agree completely. If the Lakers win Friday, I expect to enjoy the post game interviews and then quietly move on to trying to enjoy football on the weekends to sidetrack me from life's concerns.

You’re not alone bro. And don’t feel ashamed. I wrote something similar in the Kobe thread. Been a weird year and for me it’s been a mix of the Kobe thing + the bubble but I just can’t get myself going. Don’t worry about it - there’s more to life and hopefully your joy comes back one day. Lot of question marks and I’m tired of fighting it too. People all around me asking me how excited I am and the truth is I’m not.

I’m actually craving a Dodger title more than anything - but I’m also afraid I will be robbed of some joy there as well IF they do indeed win. Weird year man and sports are not helping me get my mind off things I guess.

Anyways don’t sweat it and don’t fight it. Don’t feel bad about it either and don’t let other people tell you otherwise. To each their own.

Comical how some in here are trying to convince LB it’s just him and to get over it. For those that are as happy as they can be I’m happy for you. I wish I was feeling the same way.

Some titles just hit different. This one isn’t doing it for me..and the 3peat title didn’t do too much for me either in 02.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: