NCAA Tourney Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Sir'Dominic Pointer looks EXACTLY like Flava flav

I hadn't noticed that, but now that you point it out.....
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Such low scores. Maybe we need 24 second shot clocks.

Idk about 24, that might be a bit too big of a jump to make right away. But they should try to phase in a 30 second shot clock. Like use it for a couple of early-season tournaments or something. I think 30 seconds would be ideal for the NCAA, 35 is definitely too much IMO.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Idk about 24, that might be a bit too big of a jump to make right away. But they should try to phase in a 30 second shot clock. Like use it for a couple of early-season tournaments or something. I think 30 seconds would be ideal for the NCAA, 35 is definitely too much IMO.

The shot clock used to be 45 seconds . Before the shot clock was implemented in the NCAA, I remember reading that some games ended up in the low teens in scoring.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

The shot clock used to be 45 seconds . Before the shot clock was implemented in the NCAA, I remember reading that some games ended up in the low teens in scoring.

They didn't have the shot clock until Nineteen....Eighty..Five... (Marty McFly voice). You believe that?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

They didn't have the shot clock until Nineteen....Eighty..Five... (Marty McFly voice). You believe that?

30 years later, college bball is still played the same way. 30 seconds of trying to play baskeball the "right" way...aka passing it around the perimeter with hopes of finding a lane or a big for a quick dump in followed by a 1 on 1 move when it's ultimately unsuccessful. But you know how it is based on comments. "I hate the NBA but love college basketball." There's a racial euphemism that I don't think I need to put to words.

To be fair. most NCAA fans don't feel that way. But damn do the ones that want to spout out that the NBA are a bunch of free-wheeling guys (yeah, just say what you mean) and college basketball is the province of basketball played the "right" make it obvious. Just say it fellas.

I've actually watched more NCAA this year (because of our pick yeah!) than ever. Christ is the game truly and utterly horrendous. It's bad basketball to the nth ...and sad to say, it's always been. More passing around the perimeter for 30 seconds to try to beat that zone that they (for the most part) can't. Just terrible.

But I digress. 1985! Sheeat. I would have thought the clock came about at least a decade earlier...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

30 years later, college bball is still played the same way. 30 seconds of trying to play baskeball the "right" way...aka passing it around the perimeter with hopes of finding a lane or a big for a quick dump in followed by a 1 on 1 move when it's ultimately unsuccessful. But you know how it is based on comments. "I hate the NBA but love college basketball." There's a racial euphemism that I don't think I need to put to words.

To be fair. most NCAA fans don't feel that way. But damn do the ones that want to spout out that the NBA are a bunch of free-wheeling guys (yeah, just say what you mean) and college basketball is the province of basketball played the "right" make it obvious. Just say it fellas.

I've actually watched more NCAA this year (because of our pick yeah!) than ever. Christ is the game truly and utterly horrendous. It's bad basketball to the nth ...and sad to say, it's always been. More passing around the perimeter for 30 seconds to try to beat that zone that they (for the most part) can't. Just terrible.

But I digress. 1985! Sheeat. I would have thought the clock came about at least a decade earlier...

What sucks most is when they take 30 secs only to wind up with a contested 3 ptr which they would've gotten in the first 10 secs. I'm not a fan of college bball unless there's something to watch. Tournament gms can often be interesting because they're generally playing for something and I think the great majority of casuals as well as "real" college fans like the BEGINNING of the tournament more than the end where UConn, Duke, and Kentucky invariably play each other. That's old hat. The beginning two rounds with the teams like Coastal Carolina and the slim chance of an upset are intriguing. Problem is that VCU beating Duke by 2 as in 2007 isn't the norm. It's usually the other way around like Duke beating Butler by 2 in the championship gm 5 yrs ago. They sunk a few hundred thousand bones in the viewing audience with that buzzkill finish. Or Witchita State losing a nailbiter in the 2nd round last year. Then in the final game, it's UConn/Kentucky. Eech. I'd only watch Kentucky because of Willie Caulie or Karl Towns (F that 3 names trend, they only get 3 outta me if they're a Laker, and screw Jr. and III, no one cares). Humbug.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Before the shot clock was implemented in the NCAA, I remember reading that some games ended up in the low teens in scoring.

Yeah, the four corners offense.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I think you overstate the racial connection, as the racial composition of major college programs is pretty much the same as the NBA, except that the NBA probably has more overseas players in starring roles. There is a lingering stigma in the minds of some fans from the Iverson generation, when some NBA players pushed the boundaries a bit, drawing a reaction from the fans. There was a racial component to that on both sides, and some fans haven't gotten over it.

While that aspect is real, it is overwhelmed by the other factors:

1. The team allegiance that comes from going to a college.

2. The traditional rivalries that get everyone in an area interested (UNC-Duke, etc.).

3. The enthusiasm of the fans, especially due to the student sections and bands.

4. The fact that the season is short, so that games mean more.

5. The fact that games are shorter.

Even with all of those factors, college basketball isn't all that popular for the first four months of the season. But then comes . . . .

6. The NCAA tournament and a jillion bracket pools.

Let's be honest. This is the only reason why most people pay any attention to college basketball. The quality of the product is poor, and announcers like Dick Vitale make people want to puke. It's all about the bracket pools.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

Story of this years tournament, the traditional basketball powers assert their dominance and experience no matter their crappy initial seeding. Michigan State, UCLA, and NC State for examples.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

Magic is happy today as his MSU Spartans reached the sweet 16. With the upset of Villanova their path to a final 4 looks doable.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

In addition to a 30 or even a 24 sec shot clock, a wider lane, and a longer three point line, what the game also needs is more creativity by coaches and better execution. You can get away with running the pick and roll on every play in the NBA, given that teams usually have one or two great one-on-one perimeter players that can make the defense collapse. In college, you don't have too many guards that can break down a defense, which is only made worse by the fact that spacing is terrible due to the short three and narrow lane.

And speaking of imagination on offensive sets, the more I watch the great coaches, the more I wonder what makes them great. Watch Louisville, for instance, and you might see a handful of actual imaginative set plays throughout any given game. For much of the game, it's a bunch of weird half-hearted semi-screens by players, seemingly improvising as they go, usually ending with a pick and roll with 5 sec to go on the shot clock. And you can say the same about Kentucky or Duke. You can actually see much more imagination with the little "mid-major" teams because those coaches are forced to run multiple option, multiple screen plays, since they wouldn't get open shots otherwise.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

Okafor's game is NBA ready....he would make an immediate impact on any NBA team that is lucky to get him.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

DUKE > KU
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

Winslow.. The next Harden? Should we take him at 4 or 5?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:

Okafor
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject:

WE NEED OKAFOR. WOW. what a half. THE NEXT TIM DUNCAN.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Looks like another high seeded team is going down.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Before the shot clock was implemented in the NCAA, I remember reading that some games ended up in the low teens in scoring.

Yeah, the four corners offense.

We ran that once in high school. We were a small school and playing a large school that ended up finishing 2nd in the Illinois state tournament. They had Uwe Blab, a 7-2 kid out of Germany who later played at Indiana and was drafted by the Mavs. We ended up losing 18-15.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Shockers shocking the world. Well, not me I picked this upset. Funny they are doing this season what they hoped to be doing last season as an undefeated team.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Looks like UCLA is the lowest seed to advance to the Sweet 16.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I always wondered why IU never took a chance on Steve I mean he was a basketball icon in Indiana there was a huge controversy over drafting Reggie Miller over him at the time(seems laughable now)

Lil Alford isn't half bad either.

Notre Dame has my support for the rest of the tournament lone Indiana team left.

And well whoever plays Kentucky.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Is Melo Trimble any good?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Spot on about the game and the motivations. We are a nation of idiots.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
And speaking of imagination on offensive sets, the more I watch the great coaches, the more I wonder what makes them great.

1. Ability to recruit

2. Ability to recruit

3. Ability to recruit

4. In some cases, an ability to teach and/or motivate

That's about the right proportion. You won't find many great basketball minds in the college game, no matter what the Vitale's of the world would have you believe. Guys like Calipari and Petino exemplify this. They were just average NBA head coaches -- not bad, not great. In the NBA, they couldn't just go out and recruit players to hide their weaknesses. So they came back to college.

Coach K may be the great exception here. But there are a lot more guys like Valvano and Dale Brown.

Yes, the half court offenses in the college game are painful to watch. So are the defenses. I guess the ineptitude on both ends sort of cancels itself out, in a way.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

The Michigan St vs Virginia game today illustrated all of these points perfectly
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: