Starbucks encourages baristas to engage customers in racial conversations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it a good idea to encourage baristas to engage in racial conversations with customers
Yes
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
No
58%
 58%  [ 17 ]
May help improve race relations
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Won't help improve race relations
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Will results in heated altercations
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Other options
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 29

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Starbucks encourages baristas to engage customers in racial conversations

LINK

Race is a hot topic in the country today. Hope engaging in racial discussions don't result in McDonald hot coffee suits.

If this becomes a norm at Starbucks I don't think it will change the way race is handled. It may open the eyes of some.

I don't think it will be only a Black White conversation. Other ethnics cultural differences will be discussed.

Race discussion can become heated. I harbor angst concerning the ability of baristas to engage in such conversations.

Good or bad idea? Discuss.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:

With more than 21,000 stores and an outstanding barista training program I think this could change a lot

I am wondering how it will be undertaken.

Thich Nhat Hanh was one of the first to create engaged Buddhism where he went out to the people suffering during the Vietnam war and consoled them instead of waiting for them to come to the monastery

Martin Luther King and the sit down movements
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

Where is the "i just want my (bleep) coffee, don't talk to me" option?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Where is the "i just want my (bleep) coffee, don't talk to me" option?

You just introduced it via Other options.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

I can't remember the last time a barista had anything resembling a conversation with me. Most just engage in witty banter with fellow baristas, or ignore you/look at you like you are scum.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
I can't remember the last time a barista had anything resembling a conversation with me. Most just engage in witty banter with fellow baristas, or ignore you/look at you like you are scum.

There is truth to that. I have had better conversation with smaller independent type coffee houses than at most Starbucks.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject:

The idea is nice, but no one is looking to engage in discussing social issues with someone behind the counter when they are jonesing for their cup of joe. It's not going to affect anything socially, but I'm sure it will rub some impatient customers the wrong way.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

Reminds me of the time my cousin (who is half black) tried to make a barista nervous by demanding why there isn't black cream and only white cream As a joke.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Joke from 1990:

Why do the Lakers drink their coffee black?

Because they don't have any more Kareem.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

I've yet to meet a Starbucks Barista who could hold a genuine intellectual conversation.

I can imagine the conversation would be like this:

Patron: Hello, may I have a venti coffee, black.

Barista: Oh man, you're black too! Cool! Is that why you like black coffee?

Paton: Shut the hell up you idiot and make my coffee.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The idea is nice, but no one is looking to engage in discussing social issues with someone behind the counter when they are jonesing for their cup of joe. It's not going to affect anything socially, but I'm sure it will rub some impatient customers the wrong way.

Honestly, when there is a line, I (bleep) can't stand it when the asshat in front of me decides to make small talk with the cashier. Happens all the time with the Traders Joes I go to. It's a Stepford town so these "Hi, howya doing?" conversations can take a minute or two.

Seriously, zip it up, pay up and keep the line moving.

In any event, with regard to the Starbucks suggestion, walking in and out for a quick cup of Joe is painful enough with the number of nimrods that stand their slack jawed and zombied eyed deciding what to order (just as bad at Subways but I digress). Let's encourage the employees to make the process even longer. Brilliant.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Seems like a stellar idea. I mean, seriously, what could possibly go wrong?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject:

This could get out of hand anytime someone asks for extra caramel.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Starbucks isn't real coffee anyway. Just get a decent espresso machine, and some Lavazza Quality Oro (my favorite for quite some time now).
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait to ask for coffee like I like my women, handed to me by a teenager who is forced to talk to me about race
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject:

I Saw a werewolf drinking a macchiato at starbucks, and his racial commentary was perfect.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

Starbucks ‘Race Together’ campaign backfires: Communications VP deletes Twitter account

LINK

This is not unexpected. With all the hate relating to race I felt negative tweets would be the norm. I also feel face to face conversations may turn into hostile confrontations.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:

A coffee shop is a great place to have conversations about social issues and stuff that matters politically....
That being said, it would be kind of annoying to have the barista asking every customer about such an issue. Some people just want to have their coffee and move on with their day. Maybe the customer isn't a social butterfly. I just can't see anything productive coming from this, not to mention they are putting their employees in an uncomfortable position.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject:

Horribly bad idea ... (sounds like Starbucks killed the plan anyway)

I agree that the responsibility placed on the employee isn't equivalent to vascular surgery (and I read above about the purportedly stellar Barista training program), but I also know how the telephone game can distort even the most well-intentioned of messages. This plan spells d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r to me ...

And as a couple of others pointed out above, there are enough annoying clowns who find a way to extend the conversation with the employee at the POS when the next consumer is just trying to order their beverage and move on. We don't need more socialization tryouts for those people ...

Anyway, who patronizes Starbucks when CBTL is still in business?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

A better forum would be AH's smoke shop. AH, do you guys engage in race relation discussions?

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
A better forum would be AH's smoke shop. AH, do you guys engage in race relation discussions?

AH's smoke shop

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
jodeke wrote:

AH's smoke shop

Now that ain't nothing nice KBCB.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
jodeke wrote:

AH's smoke shop

Now that ain't nothing nice KBCB.

I keed, I keed!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:

I agree that the responsibility placed on the employee isn't equivalent to vascular surgery (and I read above about the purportedly stellar Barista training program), but I also know how the telephone game can distort even the most well-intentioned of messages. This plan spells d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r to me ...

And as a couple of others pointed out above, there are enough annoying clowns who find a way to extend the conversation with the employee at the POS when the next consumer is just trying to order their beverage and move on. We don't need more socialization tryouts for those people ...

People who actually like coffee?
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
the association wrote:

People who actually like coffee?

http://www.coffeereview.com/starbucks-coffees-rate/

Setting aside the above for a moment, I seem to recall that Starbucks never really ranks very high on the list of best coffee brands. In fact, I was under the impression that Starbucks persists as the coffee purveyor of choice for women with self-esteem issues and unemployed dudes attempting to pass themselves off as screenwriters ... no?

As for me, I'm actually not a major coffee consumer. I sporadically patronize CBTL, consuming medicine ball tea and an occasional black forest ice blended with NSA and no whipped cream. Starbucks couldn't earn a dollar from me to save Howard Schultz's life ...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: