Another mentally Ill Black man killed by police
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Another mentally Ill Black man killed by police

Family Of Jason Harrison, Mentally Ill Black Man Killed By Dallas Police, Release Graphic Video

LINK

This is murder. If they get away with this it says shoot Black men and claim your life was in danger, you'll get away with it.

Why did the camera get blacked out by what looked like a hairy white arm and during the blackout the officer continued to say "drop it" after he shot the man three times?

IMO that was murder, straight up murder.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another mentally Ill Black man killed by police

jodeke wrote:
Family Of Jason Harrison, Mentally Ill Black Man Killed By Dallas Police, Release Graphic Video

LINK

This is murder. If they get away with this it says shoot Black men and claim your life was in danger, you'll get away with it.

Why did the camera get blacked out by what looked like a hairy white arm and during the blackout the officer continued to say "drop it" after he shot the man three times?

IMO that was murder, straight up murder.

It was straight up murder and police have been getting away with murder for generations by saying they were afraid for their lives.

It's amazing how they create these deadly situations and then claim fear. I swear murdering pieces of (bleep).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject:

You can hear the woman say, he's a bipolar schitzo. She'd called for assistance to get him to a hospital. They knew what they were getting into.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
You can hear the woman say, he's a bipolar schitzo. She'd called for assistance to get him to a hospital. They knew what they were getting into.

Exactly why i said what I said. They create these charged situations and then kill someone and say they were afraid instead of going in with a plan that ensures the objective. Basically pissant, cowardly, incompetence coupled with arrogance and a lot of testosterone. And these are the same sort who talk (bleep) about women and minorities who gain these jobs because they think they're better than them.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Why did she do that? Cops aren't orderlies. I appreciate the emotional impact of the video, but there's something fishy about this. When I saw the reference to a pending lawsuit in the article, that was a red flag.

So I said a prayer to Saint Google, and up came an article from a few months back saying that his mother called the police saying that he was making violent threats and that he needed to be taken to Parkland (a Dallas hospital with a mental ward). Hmm, funny how that wasn't in the first article. Instead, we are told (probably via the plaintiff's attorney) that the kid was having a "mental crisis" and that his mom needed help taking him to a local hospital.

So the police answer a call about a crazy guy making violent threats and needing to be hauled to the mental ward. They show up, and the guy is holding a screwdriver. Notice that mom bails out immediately, telling the cops that he is a bipolar schizo.

Okay, maybe this was a bad shooting, and maybe the cops need to get nailed for it. However, the situation doesn't appear to be quite as clear cut as the plaintiff's attorney would like you to think. You don't call the police if you need help taking someone to the hospital.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

^^^^^^ I asked myself the same question, "Why did she call the police and not PET? PET teams are trained to handle situations like that.

The police overreacted IMO.

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

He appeared to charge at the officers, no? As mentioned, the mom acts peculiar by just leaving him to talk with cops. If he's I'll, then why would she think he'd be rational? May be a set up for the lawsuit.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
He appeared to charge at the officers, no? As mentioned, the mom acts peculiar by just leaving him to talk with cops. If he's I'll, then why would she think he'd be rational? May be a set up for the lawsuit.

I didn't see him charge the officer.

Why did the officer with the cam cover the lens? Why did they keep saying, while the camera was black, drop it?

I saw the man go down from the three shots. There were no more shots, he appeared to be disabled.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject:

The most disgusting part is that elfin' scumbag of a "police officer" who says, "He's still alive . . . he's still alive" as if it's the most irritating thing in the world to him and he can't wait for him to die.

There's a special place in hell for that (bleep).

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject:

I didn't think that he charged at the officers. He did appear to move toward them, but not very fast. The cops seemed awfully quick to shoot him.

My point is just that, from the cops' perspective, they weren't just coming to the house to help his mom get him to the hospital. They had been told that he had made violent threats. Mom is getting away from him in a hurry, telling the cops that he is a bipolar schizo. He is holding a screwdriver for no apparent reason. All of these things are going to affect the way that the cops perceived what was happening.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Pretty brutal. Cops need to have instant access to both tasers and guns. Clearly an instance where a taser would have neutralized the guy, especially since they knew he was mentally ill, and possibly wouldn't respond to orders.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I didn't think that he charged at the officers. He did appear to move toward them, but not very fast. The cops seemed awfully quick to shoot him.

My point is just that, from the cops' perspective, they weren't just coming to the house to help his mom get him to the hospital. They had been told that he had made violent threats. Mom is getting away from him in a hurry, telling the cops that he is a bipolar schizo.

He is holding a screwdriver for no apparent reason. All of these things are going to affect the way that the cops perceived what was happening.

That woman was not getting away in a hurry, she looked as though she had trouble moving.

He was twiddling with the screwdriver. I didn't see anything sinister in his movements or demeanor. He calmly asked the cop "What's going on?"

No one is addressing my questions?

Why did the cop wearing the cam put his arm over the lens?

Why did they keep saying to a downed man, drop it while the video was black?

I think they were setting up a lie.

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

My point is just that, from the cops' perspective, they weren't just coming to the house to help his mom get him to the hospital. They had been told that he had made violent threats. Mom is getting away from him in a hurry, telling the cops that he is a bipolar schizo.

He is holding a screwdriver for no apparent reason. All of these things are going to affect the way that the cops perceived what was happening.

That woman was not getting away in a hurry, she looked as though she had trouble moving.

He was twiddling with the screwdriver. I didn't see anything sinister in his movements or demeanor. He calmly asked the cop "What's going on?"

Come on now, J. You think Police answer a call with intent to murder someone AND cover it up? WHy the eff would you come to the door (or let your 'mentally disabled son' answer the door) with a screwdriver (weapon) in his hands?? The kind of BS cops have to deal with these days it's no wonder they have an itchy trigger finger. Granted, they SHOULD have a taser as a primary option for certain situations but shtt...if it's me on the other end of that I am emptying the clip before I let some idiot with an agenda (or just an idiot) shank me with some rusty screwdriver. Obey the law and don't act like an arse and you have no problem.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Come on now, J. You think Police answer a call with intent to murder someone AND cover it up? WHy the eff would you come to the door (or let your 'mentally disabled son' answer the door) with a screwdriver (weapon) in his hands?? The kind of BS cops have to deal with these days it's no wonder they have an itchy trigger finger. Granted, they SHOULD have a taser as a primary option for certain situations but shtt...if it's me on the other end of that I am emptying the clip before I let some idiot with an agenda (or just an idiot) shank me with some rusty screwdriver. Obey the law and don't act like an arse and you have no problem.

No I don't think police answer a call with intent to murder AND cover it up.

The son was behind his mother and he didn't seem hostile, she didn't seem to fear for his life.

I'm guessing this was not the first time police were called to the address for similar reasons.

You make arguments justifying the police's actions. You didn't answer either of my questions.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Why did she do that? Cops aren't orderlies. I appreciate the emotional impact of the video, but there's something fishy about this. When I saw the reference to a pending lawsuit in the article, that was a red flag.

So I said a prayer to Saint Google, and up came an article from a few months back saying that his mother called the police saying that he was making violent threats and that he needed to be taken to Parkland (a Dallas hospital with a mental ward). Hmm, funny how that wasn't in the first article. Instead, we are told (probably via the plaintiff's attorney) that the kid was having a "mental crisis" and that his mom needed help taking him to a local hospital.

So the police answer a call about a crazy guy making violent threats and needing to be hauled to the mental ward. They show up, and the guy is holding a screwdriver. Notice that mom bails out immediately, telling the cops that he is a bipolar schizo.

Okay, maybe this was a bad shooting, and maybe the cops need to get nailed for it. However, the situation doesn't appear to be quite as clear cut as the plaintiff's attorney would like you to think. You don't call the police if you need help taking someone to the hospital.

So by this reasoning, mental illness is grounds for termination of life. Cops called to house for mentally ill man who seems known to them, or at least the force. Mom walks out with a disgusted look on her face and dude is casually taking a very non aggressive stance while twidling a potentially dangerous weapon. The Next thing, Cops excalate by drawing guns and raising voices and stress levels. Then, cam is covered and dude is shot dead.

Being as generous as can be this is piss poor policing and there is an easily winnable civil case here for major bucks as well as a Justice Department settlement which would include a complete review of policies and procedures. At worst, this is homicide under force of law or however it is defined.

The thing is that, just as apparently happened in the Ferguson case, the officers took a situation that wasn't in crisis and simply by being bad at their jobs, escalated the situations to the use of deadly force. Not cool at all.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

No I don't think police answer a call with intent to murder AND cover it up.

The son was behind his mother and he didn't seem hostile, she didn't seem to fear for his life.

I'm guessing this was not the first time police were called to the address for similar reasons.

You make arguments justifying the police's actions. You didn't answer either of my questions.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If that's your attitude, you should never, ever be a police officer, you'd suck and likely kill someone because you didn't know how to do your job well.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject:

So in Texas you can carry a loaded gun inside your private property or in public, concealed or otherwise.

But if you're an African American standing in your doorway, officers will kill you for holding a screwdriver?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Being as generous as can be this is piss poor policing and there is an easily winnable civil case here for major bucks as well as a Justice Department settlement which would include a complete review of policies and procedures. At worst, this is homicide under force of law or however it is defined.

I'd give the civil suit about a 25% chance of success against the officers, zero against the city. The officers can't pay a large judgment, so the net result is a dry hole. In fact, that's probably why the plaintiff's lawyer is releasing this video right now -- trying to put settlement pressure on the city before the case gets thrown out.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If that's your attitude, you should never, ever be a police officer, you'd suck and likely kill someone because you didn't know how to do your job well.

And you do?

Have you ever as Peace Officer been in a use of force situtaion?

The absolute ignorance displayed by people who know nothing what its like to actually be a Police Officer and deal with some of the truly worst dudes in this world that you hope you never have to deal with. Funny how "black lives" seem to only matter when there a agenda behind it? Yet the #1 killer of Black males in the country is other black males. Meanwhile the gang problem amongst black males goes ignored because it does not affect rich white liberals and other well off people. Its simple you are rolling the dice when you fight with the police. As a African American male raised in the south yes, I will tell you that there is a very small number of white cops who are racist. But none of these recent events are that. And for the sake of argument even if the cop is .. Why give him a lawful reason to use deadly force? You charge me with a screw driver and i'm supposed to do what run? Go hand to hand? Pull put out my screw driver so it can be a even fight? Even if someone is not armed there is always one gun in the situation and all he has to do is take it.

Yes, I'm a active member of Law Enforcement and have been since I was 21.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject:

^^^^^ I didn't see the man charge the officer. I saw a man standing in a doorway twiddling a screwdriver, a officer say drop it, and fire three shots at a man showing no violence, a camera go black, orders to drop it to a man I saw down and incapacitated.

I've asked these questions numerous times, no one is answering, maybe you will.

There were no more shots fired, does that mean the man was either non threatening or incapacitated?

Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
^^^^^ I didn't see the man charge the officer. I saw a man standing in a doorway twiddling a screwdriver, a officer say drop it, and fire three shots at a man showing no violence, a camera go black, orders to drop it to a man I saw down and incapacitated.

There were no more shots fired, does that mean the man was either non threatening or incapacitated?

Look at that distance between the Officer and the subject. The subject presented that screw driver in a way that would make me thing he has plans on using it as a weapon. Lastly looks as if he took few steps at that officer before any shots were fired. Yes he had taser but at that distance ( closing speed) I'm not sure if that would have been ideal. Mental health right? I've personally witnessed a mentally unstable guy pull the prugs from his chest and proceeded to give us a fight. I will say at a further distance I might would have pulled my taser and directed him to drop it, however thats not the situation in that video.. wayyy to close by the time that officer would have drew his taser( from his weak side) that screw driver would prob be planted in him.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

And you do?

The absolute ignorance displayed by people who know nothing what its like to actually be a Police Officer and deal with some of the truly worst dudes in this world that you hope you never have to deal with. Funny how "black lives" seem to only matter when there a agenda behind it? Yet the #1 killer of Black males in the country is other black males. Meanwhile the gang problem amongst black males goes ignored because it does not affect rich white liberals and other well off people. Its simple you are rolling the dice when you fight with the police. As a African American male raised in the south yes, I will tell you that there is a very small number of white cops who are racist. But none of these recent events are that. And for the sake of argument even if the cop is .. Why give him a lawful reason to use deadly force? You charge me with a screw driver and i'm supposed to do what run? Go hand to hand? Pull put out my screw driver so it can be a even fight? Even if someone is not armed there is always one gun in the situation and all he has to do is take it.

Save the screed next time; it doesn't take a background in public safety to justifiably criticize ineffective or unacceptable performance in your line of work.

I don't need to be a surgeon to know that trying to open a man up with a rusty butter knife is no way to do that job (one that requires a little more than 4 months in a police academy, incidentally) ... so if I can criticize an M.D. for being a hack at his job, you're career path is well within the bounds of my analysis ...

But don't sweat it, as long as you can write "I saw him reaching into his waistband for what I perceived to be a deadly weapon" in the report, Internal Affairs will continue to pretend that they will seriously investigate your misconduct. Carry on ...
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

And you do?

Save the screed next time; it doesn't take a background in public safety to justifiably criticize ineffective or unacceptable performance in your line of work.

I don't need to be a surgeon to know that trying to open a man up with a rusty butter knife is no way to do that job (one that requires a little more than 4 months in a police academy, incidentally) ... so if I can criticize an M.D. for being a hack at his job, you're career path is well within the bounds of my analysis ...

But don't sweat it, as long as you can write "I saw him reaching into his waistband for what I perceived to be a deadly weapon" in the report, Internal Affairs will continue to pretend that they will seriously investigate your misconduct. Carry on ...

ineffective or unacceptable performance Where did you determined that?

The video was pretty clear dude you and others are reaching for something thats not there i hate to break it to you. You dont step forward after the Officer has already asked you to drop the weapon.

You dont attempt to fight with the officer and during the process reach for the officers sidearm( noting other incidents recently)

When any Peace Officer gives you a lawful order you need to comply with that order. When you decide to try the stuff in the movies then you are rolling the dice on lives and limbs its that simple. This Guy was mental health so perhaps understanding directives may not been the best for him, however we are Police Officers not mental health staff.

You actually think that Officer came their with the intentions of shooting someone?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Look at that distance between the Officer and the subject. The subject presented that screw driver in a way that would make me thing he has plans on using it as a weapon. Lastly looks as if he took few steps at that officer before any shots were fired. Yes he had taser but at that distance ( closing speed) I'm not sure if that would have been ideal. Mental health right? I've personally witnessed a mentally unstable guy pull the prugs from his chest and proceeded to give us a fight. I will say at a further distance I might would have pulled my taser and directed him to drop it, however thats not the situation in that video.. wayyy to close by the time that officer would have drew his taser( from his weak side) that screw driver would prob be planted in him.

You perceive a person twiddling a screwdriver, leaning against the door, asking in a calm voice "What's going on" as one who had plans to use the screwdriver as a weapon? I won't say that's not what you perceived, I will say that's not what I saw.

I saw horrible policing. I didn't see a need to escalate the situation. If Jason had been hostile I could see reason to draw a weapon. He asked in a un-agitated tone what was going on.

What you see as steps I liken to a person falling after being shot.

You didn't answer my questions.

You wrote:

Quote:
This Guy was mental health so perhaps understanding directives may not been the best for him, however we are Police Officers not mental health staf

You actually think that Officer came their with the intentions of shooting someone?

Are you a police officer?

No I don't think the officer went there with intentions to shoot anyone.

Also if you respond please answer the other questions I've been asking

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: