Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I haven't done any research, I wonder. How many Black officers have shot unarmed Black men?

That would be an interesting answer and a lot of conclusions would be drawn from it. There's a statistic for anything, but sometimes the question is like, "How many grains of sand are on Laguna Beach?" This is one of those kind of questions. I wonder how you would even go about finding that number.

I said a quick prayer to Saint Google, and I received a vision:

Quote:
Who is killing all those black men and boys?

Mostly white officers. But in hundreds of instances, black officers, too. Black officers account for a little more than 10 percent of all fatal police shootings. Of those they kill, though, 78 percent were black.

White officers, given their great numbers in so many of the country's police departments, are well represented in all categories of police killings. White officers killed 91 percent of the whites who died at the hands of police. And they were responsible for 68 percent of the people of color killed. Those people of color represented 46 percent of all those killed by white officers.

http://www.propublica.org/article/deadly-force-in-black-and-white
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I haven't done any research, I wonder. How many Black officers have shot unarmed Black men?

That would be an interesting answer and a lot of conclusions would be drawn from it. There's a statistic for anything, but sometimes the question is like, "How many grains of sand are on Laguna Beach?" This is one of those kind of questions. I wonder how you would even go about finding that number.

Quote:

Mostly white officers. But in hundreds of instances, black officers, too. Black officers account for a little more than 10 percent of all fatal police shootings. Of those they kill, though, 78 percent were black.

White officers, given their great numbers in so many of the country's police departments, are well represented in all categories of police killings. White officers killed 91 percent of the whites who died at the hands of police. And they were responsible for 68 percent of the people of color killed. Those people of color represented 46 percent of all those killed by white officers.

Yikes, that's even worse than I thought. Black males represent 7% of the population, but 46% of those killed by police. In any other arena, that would be solid grounds for a class action suit for undeniable systemic discrimination.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

Yikes, that's even worse than I thought. Black males represent 7% of the population, but 46% of those killed by police. In any other arena, that would be solid grounds for a class action suit for undeniable systemic discrimination.

Assuming that black males aren't somehow "generically different" than others in our country, it certainly proves institutionalized and systemic racism combine to create conditions where black male lives are given the shaft more than any other group.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:

Assuming that black males aren't somehow "generically different" than others in our country, it certainly proves institutionalized and systemic racism combine to create conditions where black male lives are given the shaft more than any other group.

I think the common thread is economics, rather than racism. More cops are focused on lower economic areas, where crime is higher. Black poverty rates are around 30%. That number sky-rockets to almost 50% for black kids under the age of 18, living with a single mom. Since about 70% of black kids now live with only a mom, it's no wonder why so many young black males find themselves surrounded by crime and police. They are in harms way from the get-go.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

I think the common thread is economics, rather than racism. More cops are focused on lower economic areas, where crime is higher. Black poverty rates are around 30%. That number sky-rockets to almost 50% for black kids under the age of 18, living with a single mom. Since about 70% of black kids now live with only a mom, it's no wonder why so many young black males find themselves surrounded by crime and police. They are in harms way from the get-go.

Assuming that economics is the prevailing reason, then begs the question of why all the economic disparity.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Assuming that economics is the prevailing reason, then begs the question of why all the economic disparity.

Many reasons. Starts with education and opportunity. Continues on with irresponsible behavior in having children with no intention of sticking around to help raise.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Many reasons. Starts with education and opportunity. Continues on with irresponsible behavior in having children with no intention of sticking around to help raise.

Starts with 1619, continues with what was the most brutal aspect of Slavery, having no rights to parenting your children or marrying, continues on and on to today where a white make with a felony conviction and no high school diploma has a better chance of obtaining an interview and being hired than a black man with a high school diploma and no criminal record. So much along the way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

Thanks AH I guess it's like npz said the stat I was asking would be like asking how many grains of sand are on Laguna Beach? I asked How many Black officers have shot unarmed Black men?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Fair point. It could be, and likely is, a lower percentage. Just the same, the numbers provided by Saint Google should give us pause about extrapolating from a few highly publicized cases. I would never dispute that race is a factor in police shootings. However, it can be tempting to exaggerate that factor.

As I said earlier, eventually we need to have a national dialogue about police culture. I'm pessimistic about that happening anytime soon.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Fair point. It could be, and likely is, a lower percentage. Just the same, the numbers provided by Saint Google should give us pause about extrapolating from a few highly publicized cases. I would never dispute that race is a factor in police shootings. However, it can be tempting to exaggerate that factor.

As I said earlier, eventually we need to have a national dialogue about police culture. I'm pessimistic about that happening anytime soon.

Sure we will, as soon as we recapture the Constitution.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Here I disagree with you and DMR I think the recent shootings have been given more attention than in the past and the table is set to begin dialog. I say this because of DOJ involvement.

I'm going to hoe the optimistic row. I know I'm being Pollyannaish and I hold that station only to an extent and with reservation.

I truly believe change is on the horizon. I'm not looking at tomorrow, I'm imagining near future.

Police injustice toward minorities didn't manifest overnight and it will not disappear in that timeframe.

I ask you, have you ever in your lifetime seen so much discussion on the subject?

CHANGE GONNA COME

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I ask you, have you ever in your lifetime seen so much discussion on the subject?

CHANGE GONNA COME

Ahem, there were these guys who called themselves the Black Panther Party For Self Defense which gained quite a bit of attention for their stance of standing up to police brutality. The nation branded them terrorists for doing so, killed or jailed em, then just forgot about police brutality for the next 40 years. History is likely about to repeat itself. I don't see thing changing until the police is mostly comprised of members of THIS current generation. I don't think most cops are TRYING to be racists in when they approach blacks. I think most of them don't even recognise the deep seated fears and biases they possess, and if you can't recognise it, you sure as heck can't fix it.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

CHANGE GONNA COME

Ahem, there were these guys who called themselves the Black Panther Party For Self Defense which gained quite a bit of attention for their stance of standing up to police brutality. The nation branded them terrorists for doing so, killed or jailed em, then just forgot about police brutality for the next 40 years. History is likely about to repeat itself. I don't see thing changing until the police is mostly comprised of members of THIS current generation. I don't think most cops are TRYING to be racists in when they approach blacks. I think most of them don't even recognise the deep seated fears and biases they possess, and if you can't recognise it, you sure as heck can't fix it.

Quote:
I'm going to hoe the optimistic row. I know I'm being Pollyannaish and I hold that station only to an extent and with reservation.

The Panthers were confrontational, bucking establishment. DOJ is establishment.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: